Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's no way they didn't put the script and whatever work prints he has through the Disney beep beep bloop algorithm machine learning machine that churns out netflix style populist infographic movies.

Brick is one of my favorite films, so I have hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jar Jar Binks is Darth Snoke

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hodgepodge posted:

Brick is one of my favorite films, so I have hope.

Luke will pull a Yoda and cook for Rey, but then put it in a country glass.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

What was wrong with luuke?

At the time it was a unique twist that fit the books and would be revealed to be the bad guys endgame for the entire galaxy. 20 years later its ben done 50 billion times and is terrible.

Ps, Forgive the delay, glorious 6 day weekend!.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think Luke will die. Killing Han, Luke, and Leia would be too much. Everyone expects him to go all Force Ghost, and I think Rian Johnson is too good to just go with the obvious.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Luke will kill off the Jedi and talk about how their methodology was wrong, and Rey will be the start of something new. Probably something more in touch with emotion and having a family, less isolation and completely stamping out your emotions.

Luke is the Last Jedi but also the first of the new whatever (lol Whills) or Rey is the true first since she doesn't have the baggage.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
They will found a new religion, the Reylians.

:geno:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

They will found a new religion, the Reylians.

:geno:

The Reytards?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

bring back old gbs posted:

Luke was probly supposed to die but the'll rewrite it to be Leia now. Her and Rey had that pointless hug at the end of ep 7, so that will be her motivation to do whatever thing blows up the next death star

I don't think they'll kill Leia, she'll just go back to her home planet like Paul Walker in Furious 7. Well, not her home planet I guess, but somewhere where she can reside offscreen forever in a vague, pleasant stasis.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

I don't think they'll kill Leia, she'll just go back to her home planet like Paul Walker in Furious 7. Well, not her home planet I guess, but somewhere where she can reside offscreen forever in a vague, pleasant stasis.

[Note: Leia died on the way back to her home planet.]

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

well why not posted:

It's yet another rhyme, I guess. My bet is Luke eats it and is passing the mantle to Rey, but Jedi being singular and plural means that it could mean it's about anywhere from 1 to infinite Jedi.

It seems like they're going with the angle from the Lucas trilogies that the Jedi were also bad and balance could only be restored after the Jedi and Sith were removed. Luke tried to restart the Jedi after VI, but with Yoda/Anakin/Obi-Wan as his advisors that quickly went to hell and got almost everyone killed. Going to the first Jedi temple would probably be the best place to find out about philosophies and organizations that preceded it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

21 Muns posted:

Actually, her home planet died on her way back to it!
:goonsay:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Crawl revealed

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

AndyElusive posted:

Actually, her home planet died on her way back to it!
:goonsay:

:clap:

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Filthy Casual posted:

It seems like they're going with the angle from the Lucas trilogies that the Jedi were also bad and balance could only be restored after the Jedi and Sith were removed. Luke tried to restart the Jedi after VI, but with Yoda/Anakin/Obi-Wan as his advisors that quickly went to hell and got almost everyone killed. Going to the first Jedi temple would probably be the best place to find out about philosophies and organizations that preceded it.

I think this is the most plausible. Luke will probably decide not to train Rey as a Jedi, instead he will seek to create something new.

Not to get all force nerdy, but the Jedi expressly forbade attachment since it leads to the dark side. Looking at Anakin, that is definately true; but it also helped pull him back into the light given his attatchment to Luke. It would also help explain why Snoke is so keen on making Kylo Ren part ways with his past. In that sense Luke will really be the last Jedi, having understood the orders core philosophy to be a failure and chosing to let it remain buried and forgotten.

Exploring Lukes reasons for his self-imposed exile and Kylor Rens turn to the dark-side is probably going to be a major point of the movie, alongside Reys origins.

Edit: Not to mention the red colouring of the "Star Wars" title for the official Ep8 poster is rather telling. Red is typically associated with the dark side in star wars after all.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 23, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

21 Muns posted:

Polis Massa is probably still there.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The Force Awakens The Last Jedi to do what exactly?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gohmak posted:

To get their life together and move out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Also, virtually every time a Jedi actually beats a Sith, they briefly harness their anger. And yet then put it aside at least long enough to stop at a crossroads and make a decision about how to treat their opponent.

Offhand, this includes Luke vs Vader in RotJ, Anakin vs Dooku, and Windu vs Palpatine.

Yoda was able to defeat Dooku and Palpatine without this, but they get away.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gohmak posted:

Ooh, it'd be pretty amazing if Star Wars IX's title was an infinitive. Star Wars Episode IX: To Ignite The Galaxy.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

I really hope it's not the "Jedi are bad" angle because that's dumb. If there's one thing that I respect Lucas for, it is that he did not do that in the original trilogy.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

...Yes he did? That was the whole point.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

euphronius posted:

I always thought it was wierd Han and Leia even knew who snoke was.

There's a difference between knowing things about someone (like their name/affiliation) and knowing who they are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Literally no one knew the name Adolph Hitler until euphronius learned the name in history class.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leia was born on a medical frigate.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

euphronius posted:

delivered by a droid with speculum shaped hands.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

Jedi is singular in that term - Vader returns from the dark side.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Nah, Anakin's demoted from Jedi after that little stunt. He's a civilian now. It's just Luke returning home to whoop rear end on Tatooine.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

How fitting, she's probably gonna die in one.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It just occurred to me that "The Last Jedi" is awfully similar to the title of the Transformers movie this year, "The Last Knight". Is that, um, likely to cause a problem?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Was there ever some dumb EU comic or something where the normies of the galaxy get fed up with all the force users and purge em, Jedi, Sith, w/e? Seems like at this point that your political movement will inevitably be co-opted by people wearing robes and using laser swords, regardless of ideology.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Aurubin posted:

Was there ever some dumb EU comic or something where the normies of the galaxy get fed up with all the force users and purge em, Jedi, Sith, w/e? Seems like at this point that your political movement will inevitably be co-opted by people wearing robes and using laser swords, regardless of ideology.

You wouldn't want a space wizards with laser swords gap, would you?

KotoR II has an ex-Jedi/Sith who wants to destroy the Force. Probably not a good idea or even actually possible, since it is actually a part of nature in the setting, but there you go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

21 Muns posted:

It just occurred to me that "The Last Jedi" is awfully similar to the title of the Transformers movie this year, "The Last Knight". Is that, um, likely to cause a problem?

I have to imagine anyone who would otherwise have difficulty distinguishing the two would call this movie "the new Star Wars", anyway.

Aurubin posted:

FWIW the gimmick of that whole Yuuzhan Vong thing is that they were outside the Force.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Aurubin posted:

Since Force sensitivity can manifest itself without a family history that's probably not a great idea. The Sith often made a comeback not because they survived but some new jerks took up old teachings thousands of years later.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Maybe Luke will take on Ahsoka's style, since she's not a Jedi.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBrXErFMfR8

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The titles say 'Jedi' and 'Force' because those are recognizable things from Star Wars. The third movie will be called Star Wars Episode 9: Lightsabers

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

...Yes he did? That was the whole point.

That was not the whole point. Obi Wan and Yoda correctly taught Luke about the Force and the Dark Side, and he applied what he learned to overcome obstacles, resist temptation, and redeem his father. They told him he must confront Vader (with the option of killing him) and he did.
You can say that Obi Wan was a bad teacher (unsubstantiated until the prequels and probably not even then) or that he was being obtuse when he pulled the "certain point of view" thing. But Obi Wan, Yoda, and the Jedi, as presented in the original trilogy, were enlightened sages that had a good grasp of the magical and spiritual realities of the setting and the story.
All of the recent cynicism towards them comes from the prequel portrayals where they forbid attachment, participate in politically dicey warfare, and continually make obvious blunders.

Lucas has always maintained, even during and after the prequels, that the "imbalance" in the Force is not that evil needs to be more powerful for things to be fair, but the evil itself.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hodgepodge posted:

Also, virtually every time a Jedi actually beats a Sith, they briefly harness their anger. And yet then put it aside at least long enough to stop at a crossroads and make a decision about how to treat their opponent.

Offhand, this includes Luke vs Vader in RotJ, Anakin vs Dooku, and Windu vs Palpatine.

Yoda was able to defeat Dooku and Palpatine without this, but they get away.

Yoda fought Dooku to a draw and Palpatine kicked his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The titles say 'Jedi' and 'Force' because those are recognizable things from Star Wars. The third movie will be called Star Wars Episode 9: Lightsabers
that's fine.

• Locked thread