Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

basement showz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
After a long time out of the game, some Chui Wan and (not quite--their drummer got denied a visa so it was actually just Zhang Shouwang and one of the Liu Xinyu of Chui Wan playing an experimental set) Carsick Cars, because you can't loving miss Maybe Mars shows in the US:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
aw yeah dubble postin.

Moon Hooch is one of the best live acts I've ever seen, and I was quite happy to get to finally see them again after 3 years. Opening was

LEDs and slow shutter does uh... interesting things to metalic objects in motion:

CONE:

fluid:

stare:

ALL FURY TO THE MOOG:

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Really good stuff in here. I guess technically this counts as bands and concerts, here is some stuff from some recent Sofar Sounds (a community that puts on little shows in people's houses and commercial spaces, wherever) shows, in a living room/climbing gym/barn thing, respectively. I just happened to end up on the left side for like, all of these, I need to move around more. :v: Criticism much appreciated!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sold on your composition for these. The only two from that set that I would consider to be keepers are the second and the fourth but I'd crop them in a lot tighter to lose all the unnecessary space around the performers.

In my view (which you are welcome to disagree with), concert photographs fall into two general sets. Either you're trying to evoke the general experience - wide shots, crowd reactions, staging, etc, or you are essentially producing a working portrait of the performers. For this second type, approach it like any other portrait. You're capturing the person doing their job, interacting with the crowd or other musicians. The photo is all about them and the thing that they are doing. Everything else is framing for that subject.

Your photos are pictures of various rooms with a band in it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Agreed. Lots of resolution to work with. A tighter crop would help a lot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Keret posted:

Really good stuff in here. I guess technically this counts as bands and concerts, here is some stuff from some recent Sofar Sounds (a community that puts on little shows in people's houses and commercial spaces, wherever) shows, in a living room/climbing gym/barn thing, respectively. I just happened to end up on the left side for like, all of these, I need to move around more. :v: Criticism much appreciated!

I'm not very good with giving criticism, but I do agree with what teethgrinder + Helen Highwater already said. Live free, crop hard (with discretion). A lot of times if I end up with 'dead' space within a photo, it turns out that the audience or background isn't very interesting and can be trimmed. Then again, I've always found it hard to grab a good photo with audience and performers in the same shots, but I think a lot of it has to do with me being bad at this.

I'd like know if you volunteered with Sofar, or just showed up to their shows with a camera. I'm in Chicago, and I'll be going to a Sofar show very soon. While I did apply to volunteer on the photography side of things, I'm not sure if they'll get back to me in time. If you have any inside scoop on this that you're willing to share, please do.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

stare:

ALL FURY TO THE MOOG:

I like these.

Also, here's some content. An old band that I really enjoy just started playing shows again. I felt like I could have done better with this photo. Make it more contrasty, perhaps?

The Coldies @ Quencher's Tavern by Shara Miller, on Flickr

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sharizard posted:

Also, here's some content. An old band that I really enjoy just started playing shows again. I felt like I could have done better with this photo. Make it more contrasty, perhaps?

The Coldies @ Quencher's Tavern by Shara Miller, on Flickr

Contrast as-is fine. With most concert lighting there's only so far you can go without everything getting really posterized (which is sometimes desirable, sometimes not). Drummers more than any other part of a band will tend to give you a lot of opportunities for capturing motion and dramatic lines because they're moving so much, if you get lucky enough that they're not obscured by everyone else/their drumset/lack of lighting. Sometimes you'll get very lucky and the venue will have some sort of interesting overlook that will allow for good drummer side shots--if you have a flippy screen camera you can often find somewhere you can one-hand an overhead shot to get an interesting angle. Fortunately drummers allow you to set focus once and then spray and pray, since they're seated and can't walk in and out of focus as much as guitarists.

Unless you have the luxury of a venue that has both good lighting and space to move to get good shots (few and far between) or can use flash (because the artists have employed you and given you permission) you'll be at the mercy of whatever contrast you can get (but again, what you have in the shot above is fine), so focus on finding as many interesting angles/compositions as you can. For that you'll often be at the mercy of the crowd/venue layout, but that's a matter of either shooting a band you like in as many venues as possible or getting to know a venue really well and showing up at shows with a smaller audience (always show up for the opening acts because you'll have more space to move around).

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Thanks for all of the tips and help everybody, very good points made! I partially have to get over being a bit shy with my camera still, and since I'm shooting with a Fuji x100 I have to be pretty close to get good close ups, but like was said I do still have a lot of resolution to play with. Here's more stuff from the most recent Sofar show, hopefully I could internalize some of those suggestions you all made:

As far as taking pictures at the Sofar shows is concerned, I did just kind of show up and start taking some pictures for myself at the shows I was going to, then eventually became friends with the people on the local team, and I told them that I had a bunch of pictures lying around if they felt like using them on their Instagram feed or whatever, which they did, so now they just let me have free reign to go wherever I feel like to take pictures throughout the shows. The team here in Austin is really chill though, but I imagine most cities' teams are. Probably if you just ask them if you can take pictures they'd be happy to let you provided you shared some with them after to put on social media and stuff.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Been going through the archives, so here's a few to celebrate 6 months of not shooting shows. It's only gonna get longer, I think, until I finally upgrade my gear - I'm likely going to jump feetfirst into Fuji's system, because there's a decent amount of travel in my future and I can't be hosed carrying around bulky SLRs. It'll be real interesting to see how they translate to shows.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

I, Butthole posted:

Been going through the archives, so here's a few to celebrate 6 months of not shooting shows. It's only gonna get longer, I think, until I finally upgrade my gear - I'm likely going to jump feetfirst into Fuji's system, because there's a decent amount of travel in my future and I can't be hosed carrying around bulky SLRs. It'll be real interesting to see how they translate to shows.

good stuff, love the 2nd and 3rd. Assuming the 3rd is Foals?

regarding Fuji, doooo it, you won't regret it :D so happy with my X-T1 and Fuji glass, looking forward to stepping up to the X-T2 when I finally get around to it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ha my concert photo-taking career is indefinitely on hold.

I got sprayed with beer at the last show I took pictures at ... threw jeans in the wash when I walked in the door.

My RX-100 was in the back pocket.

It's okay, I have like three years of photos to process. I should have saved enough for a replacement by the time I'm done going through those.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
It's been a long while since I've shot some music but thought I'd go and pick out a few of my past shots.

Portfolio: MUSIC by bang3rachi, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

MMD3 posted:

good stuff, love the 2nd and 3rd. Assuming the 3rd is Foals?

regarding Fuji, doooo it, you won't regret it :D so happy with my X-T1 and Fuji glass, looking forward to stepping up to the X-T2 when I finally get around to it.

Second is Foals, third is At the Drive-In. And yeah, the Fuji stuff looks incredible.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

I, Butthole posted:

Second is Foals, third is At the Drive-In. And yeah, the Fuji stuff looks incredible.

errr yeah, definitely meant second for foals :D

yeah, for shows I'd recommend springing for the 16-55 over the 18-55 if budget allows for it. it's a solid piece of glass comparable to Canon's 24-70 at a much better price. I only have that and the 23mm f/1.4 at the moment and they're serving me very well. at some point I'd like to pick up the 50-140 and I'm hoping they do a WR version of the 10-24mm at some point because I definitely miss my 16-35 for events and landscape stuff.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The Celebration Army
(opening for The Trews in Waterloo, Ontario)
The Celebration Army 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 20 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 33 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A week later, so not a doublepost. But yes, a bit of a photodump. Oh well!
The Trews
The Trews 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 27 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 30 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 37 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 41 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 45 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 50 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 53 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

This one is my favourite from the night
The Trews 56 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Clearly, to get those on-stage shots I'll need to sign on as a roadie.
The Trews 64 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 67 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
are you looking for critique?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I wasn't looking for critique but I will happily take it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Inaugural Far From Moscow Festival: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fivre/albums/72157674573097993/with/31536247370/

Ilya Lagutenko continues to be the king of "well, that's an interesting expression. pick" shots.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 31, 2016

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Unless you have the luxury of a venue that has both good lighting and space to move to get good shots (few and far between) or can use flash (because the artists have employed you and given you permission) you'll be at the mercy of whatever contrast you can get (but again, what you have in the shot above is fine), so focus on finding as many interesting angles/compositions as you can. For that you'll often be at the mercy of the crowd/venue layout, but that's a matter of either shooting a band you like in as many venues as possible or getting to know a venue really well and showing up at shows with a smaller audience (always show up for the opening acts because you'll have more space to move around).

Yeah, stage lighting varies quite a bit from venue to venue. I've started taking notes about what settings I typically use at which venue. Very helpful. I typically find that drummers are tucked away in spots that are dark, even if other parts of the stage are well lit. This was the case in the last photo I posted. I was worried about brightening up his face and making it look like poo poo. lol Oh well. Fortunately I'll be seeing them again at the same venue this upcoming Saturday, so I can give it another go.

But yeah, I almost always show up to shows early unless there's an emergency on my end. Even though this is a hobby, I still value being prompt to shows and schmoozing with band members. I even impose the three-song rule on myself as to not disturb other fans. I've been doing concert stuff for about 4 years or so, and the things I still have trouble with are:

1) Getting shots of every band member in a meaningful way so that everyone has at least one presentable photo to share. I know that it's not 100% feasible sometimes, but dammit... It can be frustrating.
2) Dealing with bands who don't have a great stage presence. The thing about the drummer in my last post is that I'm familiar with him enough to know that he's very expressive while he's playing. He's been in at least three bands I've seen or photographed so far. But even at the same show, there was a drummer from another band that was pretty limp, and this was hard rock / punk rock type stuff, mind you.
3) Not feeling bad or guilty about wanting to take some pics, despite other people being a bit rude with their cell phones. (I guess I just gotta get some confidence and politely ask people to move if needed.)
4) Clamming up when there's other photographers around. It's pretty crazy how many times I just stop taking photos because there's other people doing the same thing. Again, a confidence thing.

Fortunately, me being shy has worked out somewhat and the bands I meet generally like me and eventually ask me to show up to photograph other shows for cash. I'm making it a goal to start being more assertive about taking photos this year, as well as about asking for cash for anything that I'm not doing for fun.

Thanks for reading all of those words, here's a photo.

Los Gems @ Pinwheel Records by Shara Miller, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't have any band/concert photos to show right now, but I like this discussion (and I feel like procrastinating at work right now).

Drummers in the dark. Yes. Goddam it can be hard to get a shot of every band member, something I try to do as well. I have similar problems with keyboard players - I've already whined about this - because both drummers and keyboardists tend not to move around much, and often get stuck at the back of the stage, compared to vocalists, guitarists, and brass/wind players (aside: ever see an electric clarinet? I didn't have my camera with me at a show a few years ago, really tall dude blowing into one was pretty interesting). I suspect the best answer to this is "spend money" and I should buy the lens I want for birds and bring it to shows. Get all wildlife-photog on it.

Other photogs. I haven't run into the problems / self-restrictions you describe, but I can see where you're coming from. Last year I went to a show at my local venue and the other person walking around with a DSLR (he actually had 2) was clearly being paid to be there - he went backstage at one point, and was given access to some higher ground at the back near the bar (a platform in the corner, and another just behind the sound & light system controllers). He was there again at the more recent show I went to, and again he was taking shots from places I couldn't go. I should try to talk to him next time, I'd like to learn his name and see the pictures he's been taking. Nothing is showing up as clearly his from the venue's webpage or on Facebook.

At one point during the music festival I went to in July, a non-photog festival-goer saw me at the front fence and offered to swap places with me so I could get better pictures - she was in a position not blocked by a speaker compared to the corner I was shoving myself into. Of course, that put me directly in front of said speaker, so to prevent complete loss of hearing I swapped back with her after about one minute.

Related to this, does anyone have any recommendations for earplugs or other hearing protection? The earplugs I had with me most recently are the cheap disposable kind for construction workers and they don't block sounds evenly - I took them out because it wasn't *that* loud in the smallish venue and they were interfering with my enjoyment of the music (and yes, my ears were ringing all the way home). I couldn't hear the singer very well, and high notes were almost completely blocked while mid-tones were overwhelming.

Repeat visits to venue. Also a good point. Especially the related point about getting there early and seeing the opening acts. At the most recent show I realized at the end of the night that most of the people in the very front row had been there all night, just staying in one place (pressed against the barrier) for about 3 hours straight. I don't know if I have the bladder fortitude to try that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think by far the best affordable earplugs are by Etymotic: https://www.amazon.ca/Etymotic-Rese...ywords=etymotic

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

^^^ I second this guy's good taste in earbuds. I eventually ended up getting custom ones made, but they aren't nearly as easy to clean as the cheaper ones.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Construction ear protection is designed to be variable like that, atleast the over the ear ones.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Do you think these photos have any merit in posting? I'm having trouble being objective about them; I'm usually pretty ruthless with discarding.

[

This was a case where the venue was just too drat dark for my RX100, but I tried to "save" them anyway. The black & white ones I used Silver Efex because trying in Lightroom resulted in them being completely washed out.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I think the color ones are actually stronger images than the B&W, the main issue being the tonal range is far too flat (can tell by checking out the histogram of the B&W images). Her shirt is straight up blending into the background which isn't typically a good thing. Definitely a tough thing to account for at smaller venues with poor lighting. (or larger venues where the musicians have requested the lights to be dim)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

At the time I went black & white because I felt colour had even less contrast ... but I guess it's not as bad as I thought.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Mayhem started off their North American De Mysteriis tour with Inquisition. I took the Fuji and the 27mm just to see if I could get any decent shots. For the terrible lighting conditions, I was pleasantly surprised. Really cool seeing Mayhem perform the entire album that I purchased over 20 years ago! Pissed at myself that I didn't bring the small Fuji flash for a shot of the crowd. I was literally shocked by the turn out.

Atilla! - Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Teloch - Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Necrobutcher - Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Dagon - Inquisition

Dagon/Incubus - Inquisition

Dagon - Inquisition

Paul Delaney - Black Anvil

Gary Bennet - Black Anvil

Raeph Glicken - Black Anvil

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 23, 2017

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

This is a really great photo.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Ten out of ten, would hail satan again.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I saw Mayhem at a festival back in 2015 and the singer came out looking like this with subdermal implants and poo poo

I thought it was a joke but then there was a skull and it looked pretty real and then reading up on the band everything on stage seemed a lot more sketch and it kind of freaked me out anyway that's my photo story bye

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I can't stop looking at his lil belly button. :3:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Best version, when he was singing for Sunn at Southwest Terrorfest, craziest goddamn thing I've ever seen. A robe made of mirrors, mirror helmet and loving lazers coming out of his fingers.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Couple snaps from the Katatonia/Caspian show in Pittsburgh last night.

Katatonia - Jonas Renkse - 2017

Katatonia - Roger Öjersson - 2017

Katatonia - Jonas Renkse - 2017

Caspian - Philip Jamieson - 2017

Caspian - Calvin Joss - 2017

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Haven't posted here in a while. I've been digging the old manual focus Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye that I bought a year or so ago. It's a nice fisheye in that the fisheye effect itself is subtle until the very edges of the frame. I'm finding it a good alternative to your classic rectilinear ultra-wide angle lens in that you still get distortion, but it's not the kind of distortion where things get stretched way out.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Drove the girlfriend up to a gig at Lake Pedder. Stopped on the way home to grab a couple of snaps.

lauren-1-3 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

lauren-1-2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

She is quite exceptional in her craft. Amazing voice..

https://soundcloud.com/keffe-1/circus

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 2, 2017

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Finally had a chance to take my new Fujifilm X-T2 out to a show in Austin. Shooting ISO 6400 and taking the Exposure in Lightroom to +1.5-2 doesn't turn things into utter dogshit? Oh yeah I think this thing is going to work well for concerts.

DSCF3033 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF3297 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF3317 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
More recent nerd music adventures in Austin.

DSCF4056 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF4635 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF4755 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Was lucky enough to see Soundgarden twice post-reunion and Chris Cornell solo once over the past few years.