Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
The new OriginalRuriDonutSteel is apparently the AI of Vangrey or something, so kidnapping might be hard to accomplish, but I suppose she could always Sharon Apple it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's a small thing but what do the SRW guys have against putting their trailers up on the PSN? They aren't alone though; that area of the store should probably be way more populated than it is. What does Sony do to drive publishers away from putting their trailers up?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They host them at like 360p half the time anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I guess the Vangray was created by Krieger from Archer.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Davzz posted:

The new OriginalRuriDonutSteel is apparently the AI of Vangrey or something, so kidnapping might be hard to accomplish, but I suppose she could always Sharon Apple it up.

Looking at the article I was going to say that she was giving me Big O vibes with a gothic twist. She could be something like the mental models in Arpeggio of blue steel. I mean Banpresto already have us gothic lolita robots with the fairlions...

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I guess the Vangray was created by Krieger from Archer.

Ah, so this is the Fister Roboto he mentioned.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Come to think of it even Irui got kidnapped and brainwashed. In OG it happened twice in a row!

:sigh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I still think the best joke in MD was that the obligatory brainwashed ally was a battleship.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Caphi posted:

Come to think of it even Irui got kidnapped and brainwashed. In OG it happened twice in a row!

:sigh:

One Bullet will get brainwashed too. One day.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inferno-sama posted:

Ah, so this is the Fister Roboto he mentioned.

Makes me sad that no parts in Gundam Breaker 3 can do a proper Rocket Punch or I'd have made a Fister Roboto by now

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As I've been stumbling through SRWJ, I find that I'm really enjoying the Puzzle Robo segments. I'm sure they're considered simplistic to people better at these games than I am, but I like figuring them out.

The extra cash is certainly nice too.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

As I've been stumbling through SRWJ, I find that I'm really enjoying the Puzzle Robo segments. I'm sure they're considered simplistic to people better at these games than I am, but I like figuring them out.

The extra cash is certainly nice too.

I wouldn't say they're simplistic? They get really obtuse and arcane the further in you go. That's most people's beef with them. I did really like the early ones.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hokuto posted:

I wouldn't say they're simplistic? They get really obtuse and arcane the further in you go. That's most people's beef with them. I did really like the early ones.

Yeah they defintiely get more complex, some of them I was never able to figure out without consulting a guide, they're pretty obtuse.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
You always know a Puzzle Robo stage is going to be absolute bullshit when you get more than one turn to complete it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I think Puzzle Robo is interesting but it really depends on some insane bullshit that makes almost no sense sometimes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hokuto posted:

Ah okay, I'm still in the early 20's so I guess I just haven't gotten to the harder ones yet.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
They are kind of like the Mastery Points in AG. It is more a HEY LETS GO TO GAMEFAQS BECAUSE I AINT GOT TIME TO FIGURE THIS OUT ON MY OWN thing.

A reminder of the days of Sierra adventure games and their bullshit puzzles. Except these things are optional but in games for us dorks who simply want them all because they are there goddamnit. :doom:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
After a conversation with someone struggling through FMW2 because they were completely new to SRW games (the conversation featured such gems as "I upgraded Mobility on my tanks so they can move farther"), I kinda got to wondering. Is there a single SRW game that actually explains all of its mechanics? Or is the entire series based on "you should know this already"?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 22, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

After a conversation with someone struggling through FMW2 because they were completely new to SRW games (the conversation featured such gems as "I upgraded Mobility on my tanks so they can move farther"), I kinda got to wondering. Is there a single SRW game that actually explains all of its mechanics? Or is the entire series based on "you should know this already"?

Most of the recent SRW games have a tutorial/beginner mission and a lot of them have built-in game manuals which explain everything, either in the form of glossary-type things or by letting you hit select or something similar and highlight various things to see what they do.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Raxivace posted:

Ah okay, I'm still in the early 20's so I guess I just haven't gotten to the harder ones yet.

Have you noticed that resupplying lowers a unit's Will by 10?

It does, and it's something that Puzzle Robo makes you use.

I won't even go into detail on the poo poo you have to pull with Zeal and Aid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Yes, in fact. I couldn't have told you the exact number (I thought it was closer to 5 off the top of my head) but I've noticed that kind of stuff in other SRW games at least. I remember in...MX Portable, I think it was, I had an issue with keeping EN and Will maintained for people like Domon in certain stages.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sordas Volantyr posted:

It does, and it's something that Puzzle Robo makes you use.

I won't even go into detail on the poo poo you have to pull with Zeal and Aid.

How does it make you use that? (Or did you mean it just makes you take it into account, since you won't otherwise have as much Will as you expect?)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Prism posted:

How does it make you use that? (Or did you mean it just makes you take it into account, since you won't otherwise have as much Will as you expect?)

It's been a while since I've done the puzzle robo stages (or played J, for that matter), but if I remember correctly you need to bring an enemy unit down to a certain amount of health without killing it. You use resupply to lower your attackers Will and so lower their damage by just enough that it fails to kill the enemy.

That is the single solution.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Schwarzwald posted:

It's been a while since I've done the puzzle robo stages (or played J, for that matter), but if I remember correctly you need to bring an enemy unit down to a certain amount of health without killing it. You use resupply to lower your attackers Will and so lower their damage by just enough that it fails to kill the enemy.

That is the single solution.

Wow.

If you do it but get a crit, does the game laugh at you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

Wow.

The numbers for the puzzles are locked to prevent that from happening I think?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah in Puzzle Robo attacks can't miss (unless Alert is used) and won't crit (unless Fighting Spirit is used)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Prism posted:

Wow.

To the game's credit, I don't think that's possible in puzzle robo, outside spirits that gaurantee it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Small mercies, I suppose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

Small mercies, I suppose.

No, Mercy leaves them at 10 HP!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SRW V footage from the Taipei game show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmUyqoxOfY

Seems we're going back to six spirit commands for most pilots, although two of the Yamato's sub-pilots also had six slots while one had only four.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

AradoBalanga posted:

although two of the Yamato's sub-pilots also had six slots while one had only four.

I don't know anything about Yamato but this usually means they're getting separate units.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

SRW V footage from the Taipei game show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmUyqoxOfY

Seems we're going back to six spirit commands for most pilots, although two of the Yamato's sub-pilots also had six slots while one had only four.

The guy says that there's original songs playing instead of the licensed ones because of "rights problems". He means just for the show, right? Not the Asia version as a whole? :ohdear:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Okay, so from what I could see, Tobia is in the X1 Kai Kai from Skull Heart (and isn't using the beam zanber but is using the zanbuster) and that his morale goes as high as 160, and the Vangrey has repair capability.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I don't know anything about Yamato but this usually means they're getting separate units.
Basically the Yamato has some fighter jets that it deploys. You've already seen them in some of the Yamato's attacks. People were wondering if they'd be actual units or just part of the Yamato's attack animations, but presumably it's a thing like Lelouch in Z2.2 where if you don't deploy them they're just riding around in the Yamato anyway.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Basically the Yamato has some fighter jets that it deploys. You've already seen them in some of the Yamato's attacks. People were wondering if they'd be actual units or just part of the Yamato's attack animations, but presumably it's a thing like Lelouch in Z2.2 where if you don't deploy them they're just riding around in the Yamato anyway.

God, what if it's like MD where you can get their spirit-based Ace bonus but it stops working when they're in the Yamato?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I hope the Yamato stays hilariously over-powered throughout the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It just occurred to me but are they planning to give it top class damage output, even as a carrier?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It just occurred to me but are they planning to give it top class damage output, even as a carrier?

It isn't like it'd be the first time it happened. Look at the Macross units or Nadesico

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A Super Robot Wars game where two separate series have "Warship" in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just watched the video and hey guess what, they finally learned something from NEO!

Spirits can be used at any time - mid-combat, on the counter, and even after your action. Extra Actions and Commands also seem to be available post-action.

Oh, and if I'm reading this right (which is not a guarantee, I can't actually read Chinese, but I'm like 90% sure), Okita's first Spirit is a friendly-targeted Alert, which is new.

The other Yamato person with six Spirits is Kodai, who I'm pretty sure gets his own plane or squad or something at some point, yeah.

• Locked thread