Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I traded Oladipo and Ariza for Lin and Jokic in fantasy months ago and have quickly lost my love for Lin and gained profound love for Jokic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why would the Bulls care about trading Rondo? He literally has 0 value and his contract has only 3 million guaranteed next year.

No one is going to take Rondo unless they pair him with a real asset.

They want the problem to go away. Since Rondo's next year is only partially guaranteed another team may be willing to take a chance. Bulls either get a worthless asset (protected 2nd or something) or some other expiring disappointment player, but at least now they don't need to keep figuring out what to do with Rondo.

If they let Rondo rot on the bench it'll be a huge distraction and will do a lot of damage in terms of getting future FAs. This is how you get him out of your team and make Rondo, agents, and the rest of your team happy by sending him somewhere that wants to test him out.

Sounds like no one else wants to take the bait though. Even then it still helps you since you are letting Rondo know you are trying to find him a better landing place.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone floated out the idea of Afflalo and Collison for Rondo and the pick rights back. It's like the a do-over for both teams!

But :lol: at the idea that our pick will be outside the top 10

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

attackmole posted:

I'm gonna watch the Raptors game today, hope they don't drop another turd in my mouth.

gently caress lmao just saw this

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Normally I would suspect this is a move for a team tanking. Too bad it's the Nets and they don't have their pick. That KG, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry trade was really worth it.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The Nets dealings are going to go down in sports history as like the worst way to tank your franchise for a decade.

Like I can't imagine even pretending to have hope for that team until like 2025 at the earliest. I feel bad for anyone who legitimately has to root for them.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Barclays has good food, and rock-bottom ticket prices. Not too bad if you want to see another team play.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

When the Mavs signed Barnes to a max contract in the offseason, you could hear the guffaws from all over the league. Before training camp started, Rick Carlisle warned people not to expect Barnes to do too much too soon, saying he needed to be eased into a bigger role in Dallas.

Instead, a rash of injuries to an older Mavs roster opened up an opportunity for Barnes, and he ran with it. He has nearly doubled his scoring average from his final season in Golden State while also increasing his field goal percentage. He has completely changed his game, going from a guy who spotted up in the corner to becoming the top isolation scorer in the NBA. Barnes leads the league in the percentage of his field goal attempts that come out of isolations, scoring more efficiently than noted isolationists like Jamal Crawford, Carmelo Anthony, and James Harden.

Good for you, Harrison. :unsmith:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

He wasn't just a guy who spotted up in the corner for the Warriors though. They ran a handful of looks out of the high post for him every game

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Only one man can save the Nets. He has a process

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hinkie is clearly coming to Sacramento and he's bringing back the pick with him

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Also I think most people thought the Barnes deal was pretty reasonable considering what Parsons, Bazemore, Turner, Beal, and Crabbe got this summer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People freaked out because they weren't converting the new cap number in their heads. Barnes was getting a rookie max no matter what.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also I think most people thought the Barnes deal was pretty reasonable considering what Parsons, Bazemore, Turner, Beal, and Crabbe got this summer.

Barnes deal looks incredible compared to all of those now

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I read that quote about Harrison Barnes earlier this morning on the Ringer. This is the next paragraph:

"The Mavs have moved Dirk Nowitzki to the 5, partly because he is too slow to guard most power forwards these days, and partly because Barnes has been too good at the 4 to bump him down a position. Just like Dirk did a generation before, Barnes has done his part in redefining the power forward position. What Harrison Barnes has become is a far cry from the player who couldn’t stay on the floor just seven months ago."

OK, I admittedly haven't watched very much of the Mavs this season, but Barnes numbers aren't exactly popping out at me. Is he actually "redefining the power forward position"? I'd write that it off as colorful language, but they did choose Barnes over Giannis for MIP, so I'm wondering if there's something more that isn't coming through in the box score.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sheriff posted:

I read that quote about Harrison Barnes earlier this morning on the Ringer. This is the next paragraph:

"The Mavs have moved Dirk Nowitzki to the 5, partly because he is too slow to guard most power forwards these days, and partly because Barnes has been too good at the 4 to bump him down a position. Just like Dirk did a generation before, Barnes has done his part in redefining the power forward position. What Harrison Barnes has become is a far cry from the player who couldn’t stay on the floor just seven months ago."

OK, I admittedly haven't watched very much of the Mavs this season, but Barnes numbers aren't exactly popping out at me. Is he actually "redefining the power forward position"? I'd write that it off as colorful language, but they did choose Barnes over Giannis for MIP, so I'm wondering if there's something more that isn't coming through in the box score.

I wouldn't call what he is doing as redefining the position. It seems more like he is going along with the trend guys who would play the 3 last decade playing at the 4. (especially on offense.) On offense they are running lots of Dirk's old sets for him. That quote seems to be nice about why Dirk is playing the 5. Part of why Dirk is starting at the 5 is him and Bogut have not really been able to play well together. (For the few games both are healthy.) Bogut hasn't played in a while and Carlisle doesn't trust Mejri with big minutes that often. When Carlisle calls an angry timeout this season, usually Mejri or Anderson are on the floor and will be taken off after the timeout. (or the offense forgets how to score for 4 minutes.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sheriff posted:

No, that part is straight up fluff or also probably the writer has never seen basketball before this year. The wing moving down to PF has been a thing for almost all of this decade. That's literally what the Warriors have been doing the past 3 seasons, and what Lebron did to win his first championship.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

People freaked out because they weren't converting the new cap number in their heads. Barnes was getting a rookie max no matter what.

People freaked out because Barnes played bad basketball in June

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Harrison Barnes and Andrew Wiggin's stats look really similar. Wiggins is getting the the line which largely makes up for the shooting % differences, and Barnes is playing better defense for sure. It's funny how the tone when talking about the players is super positive for Barnes and somewhat negative for Wiggins.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

They continued to do so when he barely got minutes on Team USA and couldn't shoot in the preseason.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The mavs get good coverage . It's been a trend. Probably dirks penumbra .

We've come a long way from Roy tarpley.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

I mean Harden played like poo poo in that Thunder/Heat finals, but he still got an instant max from someone

DeShawn stevenson played great in that Mavericks/Heat finals and he was out of the league like a year later.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

I mean Harden played like poo poo in that Thunder/Heat finals, but he still got an instant max from someone

I'm pretty sure him playing like crap in that Finals was part of why OKC did what they did and avoid offering him a full max, or even keeping him around a year longer.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lockback posted:

I'm pretty sure him playing like crap in that Finals was part of why OKC did what they did and avoid offering him a full max, or even keeping him around a year longer.

putting harden on lebron for large chunks of time is one of the dumber things in coaching history

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I would have given Harden a max immediately after watching the Dallas/OKC series the year OKC went to the Finals. He had played well during the season but that series really highlighted how good he was.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

The mavs get good coverage . It's been a trend. Probably dirks penumbra .

We've come a long way from Roy tarpley.

Well when you remove the media credentials from everyone who is critical . . .

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

No, that part is straight up fluff or also probably the writer has never seen basketball before this year. The wing moving down to PF has been a thing for almost all of this decade. That's literally what the Warriors have been doing the past 3 seasons, and what Lebron did to win his first championship.

Its been a thing since Elgin Baylor, and assuredly even before that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

boogie continues to be the best

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Harrison Barnes looked like an overmatched D-League reserve during the playoffs. That's why people freaked out. It was a gamble to bet on Barnes. And I say this as a Barnes fan. The whole revolutionizing the position crap is bullshit of course.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah Barnes looked rear end every game in the playoffs not just the finals so it's not very comparable to the Harden situation at all

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Barnes and Wiggins are two of my favorite type of player, the sub .100 ws/48 20 ppg scorer

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Barnes and Wiggins are two of my favorite type of player, the sub .100 ws/48 20 ppg scorer

At least use winshares instead of the inferior ws/48.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Joel Embiid will miss the next two games because of the knee contusion he suffered last Friday. Hopefully he returns this Friday night.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

This ad has been showing up in my Facebook feed for about a week.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
All this Harrison Barnes discussion reminded me that the Mavs social media thought it would be a good idea to send out a picture of Barnes handcuffed to the GM.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Excellent trolling by The Ringer awarding Hinkie executive of the year

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

At least use winshares instead of the inferior ws/48.

Nope

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

I apologize for being a dipshit and playing devil's advocate, but who else is going to use up the usage on the Mavs? Salah Mejri?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NotWearingPants posted:

Joel Embiid will miss the next two games because of the knee contusion he suffered last Friday. Hopefully he returns this Friday night.

two more losses then

That's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

I apologize for being a dipshit and playing devil's advocate, but who else is going to use up the usage on the Mavs? Salah Mejri?

I honestly meant that I like it, it's a throwback, sorry if that wasn't clear. And the answer of course is JJ Barea

• Locked thread