Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Right, 55" in the under 2k segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If the OLED is in your budget and you don't buy it's you're making a bad decision. Don't buy a Sony just because your girlfriend recognizes the name.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get the costco 4 year warranty to cover any potential problems

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Has anyone bought from Crutchfield's dent and scratch? I've been super split between the Samsung KS8000 and the LG OLED55B6P, Crutchfield has the OLED there and it may make it a non discussion if they are reliable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sellouts posted:

Get the costco 4 year warranty to cover any potential problems

It's three years if you buy the TV elsewhere.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ammanas posted:

Right, 55" in the under 2k segment.

The X850D is a perfectly good TV.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Just picked up a KS8000 because it came with a free XBox One S and no taxes. OLEDs are still $1400 more in Canada and I can't bring myself to pay that much more a TV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DariusLikewise posted:

Just picked up a KS8000 because it came with a free XBox One S and no taxes. OLEDs are still $1400 more in Canada and I can't bring myself to pay that much more a TV.

Fellow Canuck here, what store is running that promo? I am intrigued!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I missed this deal yesterday

75" Sony XBR-75X850D 4K UHD HDR Smart LED HDTV on sale for $2149

Best TV for $2200?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

priznat posted:

Fellow Canuck here, what store is running that promo? I am intrigued!

The Brick and Leons. I didn't see it in their flyer, but I was able to order it for pickup online

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would trade 10" for a 65" oled in my situation. Can't speak to yours.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah probably right. My couch is exactly 10 feet from my tv and 75 might be too big.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

might be too big.

I think you just lost about 95% of the thread.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

GreenNight posted:

might be too big.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Does anybody know when the good TV deals for the Super Bowl start to show up and where to find them?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How does the Vizio P series compare to the Samsung Ks8000? I'm reading Samsung doesn't perform well in low light and has blooming issues.

Edit - the P series doesn't have a TV tuner? I use an antenna.

Taco Duck posted:

Does anybody know when the good TV deals for the Super Bowl start to show up and where to find them?

Today.

Are you looking for a list?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 22, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I just bought that 50" LG 4k TV BB has on sale for $375 today but now I'm having buyer's remorse that it won't be that big of an upgrade over my 50" Panasonic 720p plasma and I should at least spend the extra $100 and get a 55".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do Samsungs have really bad tuners?

I had a 37" Vizio that I bought back in like 2007, never had any reception problems with it, even when I moved into this apartment a few years ago (brick buidling if that matters). After a few months I wanted a bigger tv so I bought a 50" Sharp on a while at Best Buy, and using the same "batman" antenna I used before, I got poor reception on a few channels and 100% lost ABC. I don't give a poo poo because football is only on CBS, Fox, and NBC. Sometimes I would have to move the antenna over to the end table or aim it a different way, but I have almost always been able to tune in those three channels and watch the game. I ended up buying a cheap powered antenna that looks like a flat black bar and have been using that.

About a year later, my girlfriend moved in and brought along her 50" Samsung. We tried using her tv but CBS is the only channel it would get. And then today I bought a 65" Samsung and it does the same loving thing. My old Sharp in the same place in the living room with the same antenna gets everything but ABC (including the local PBS and religious stations).

Do I have to go buy one of those $60 super antennas?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Do Samsungs have really bad tuners?

I had a 37" Vizio that I bought back in like 2007, never had any reception problems with it, even when I moved into this apartment a few years ago (brick buidling if that matters). After a few months I wanted a bigger tv so I bought a 50" Sharp on a while at Best Buy, and using the same "batman" antenna I used before, I got poor reception on a few channels and 100% lost ABC. I don't give a poo poo because football is only on CBS, Fox, and NBC. Sometimes I would have to move the antenna over to the end table or aim it a different way, but I have almost always been able to tune in those three channels and watch the game. I ended up buying a cheap powered antenna that looks like a flat black bar and have been using that.

About a year later, my girlfriend moved in and brought along her 50" Samsung. We tried using her tv but CBS is the only channel it would get. And then today I bought a 65" Samsung and it does the same loving thing. My old Sharp in the same place in the living room with the same antenna gets everything but ABC (including the local PBS and religious stations).

Do I have to go buy one of those $60 super antennas?

I have a 24" Sharp that seems to get channels when the weather is bad that my 40" Samsung doesn't on the same antenna. I really like that the Samsung tells me the name of the show and has a channel guide though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ended up cancelling the LG 50" and got in on the 55" KS8000 for $730. Figure extra 5" and knowing that I won't be kicking myself for buying a new TV that barely looks better than my Panasonic plasma is worth the price difference

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Our TV just bought the farm. We're not really picky about picture quality or future proofing so I don't think we need OLED, I'm just looking for anything bigger than 65" and for less than $950. 1080P or 4K is good either way. Any stand out picks for bigger TV's at that price range?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Biodome posted:

Our TV just bought the farm. We're not really picky about picture quality or future proofing so I don't think we need OLED, I'm just looking for anything bigger than 65" and for less than $950. 1080P or 4K is good either way. Any stand out picks for bigger TV's at that price range?

You want BIGGER than 65" for under a thousand?

Best you're gonna do at that price, at least based on my quick search, is a 65" D-Series (bottom of the line) Vizio.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

In exploring the full range of autism, I've come full circle and back to the KS8000. I sit about 12' away from the TV, so 65" would be better. Problem is that it would look terrible with the rest of the room, while the 55" would fit pretty well with the overall design.

I consider getting the 55" now and upgrading later, but do you really see OLED prices coming down that much in the next couple of years when LG is really the only player in that area?

The $500 difference also seems to make the 55" a better value, but then there's the maxim of always buy bigger than you think.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why would it look terrible?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

WhyteRyce posted:

Ended up cancelling the LG 50" and got in on the 55" KS8000 for $730. Figure extra 5" and knowing that I won't be kicking myself for buying a new TV that barely looks better than my Panasonic plasma is worth the price difference

Where are you seeing the KS8000 55" for $730?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

In exploring the full range of autism, I've come full circle and back to the KS8000. I sit about 12' away from the TV, so 65" would be better. Problem is that it would look terrible with the rest of the room, while the 55" would fit pretty well with the overall design.

I consider getting the 55" now and upgrading later, but do you really see OLED prices coming down that much in the next couple of years when LG is really the only player in that area?

The $500 difference also seems to make the 55" a better value, but then there's the maxim of always buy bigger than you think.

Sony is shipping an OLED this year and Toshiba just announced some high end sets as well. Still going to take a long time for prices to come down though.

I decided to sit things out a bit, the LG sets have great marks on PQ but I hear complaints about motion control which is sort of important to me. I think I'll save up for that Sony OLED.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

katkillad2 posted:

If that price can be found I would be ready to kick down my Samsung UN50J6300 50-Inch to my parents and upgrade instead of waiting a few more months.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Why would it look terrible?

We have this 1961 TV/Stereo console that's been hollowed out and is being used to hold the receiver and center channel speaker, and the TV is going to be on the wall above that. Looking at things, there really is no design to this room. We are still building things out after selling all of our stuff and moving across the country last year.

But this console is the centerpiece, and it stays, and I have no say in the matter.

So I'm in the "bad photoshop" phase of this, and haven't gotten to the "cardboard cutout" phase. I'm going with 65" (blue), 55" red isn't doing it. 40" orange is the current TV size.

We just need to put the speakers somewhere really. Those black tower speakers are going to be gone, I have the Polk bookshelf ones for the front channels. I don't want to hang them off the wall because they're 12" deep and would look weird hanging in space. I'm trying to find a couple of stands that look more like furniture, or a small shelving unit, rather than a couple of sticks holding up a speaker. I think if we can do that, then the 65" will work. If I have to put them on top of the console, or hang them out in space, it will have to be 55".

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

katkillad2 posted:

People slickdealing/scamming the Samsung employee purchase program site.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

FogHelmut posted:

We have this 1961 TV/Stereo console that's been hollowed out and is being used to hold the receiver and center channel speaker, and the TV is going to be on the wall above that. Looking at things, there really is no design to this room. We are still building things out after selling all of our stuff and moving across the country last year.

But this console is the centerpiece, and it stays, and I have no say in the matter.

So I'm in the "bad photoshop" phase of this, and haven't gotten to the "cardboard cutout" phase. I'm going with 65" (blue), 55" red isn't doing it. 40" orange is the current TV size.

We just need to put the speakers somewhere really. Those black tower speakers are going to be gone, I have the Polk bookshelf ones for the front channels. I don't want to hang them off the wall because they're 12" deep and would look weird hanging in space. I'm trying to find a couple of stands that look more like furniture, or a small shelving unit, rather than a couple of sticks holding up a speaker. I think if we can do that, then the 65" will work. If I have to put them on top of the console, or hang them out in space, it will have to be 55".

I still don't understand what the issue is here. There's no reason not to get the 65" in this situation and from your viewing distance. You could always just leave the speakers and everything where they are and wall mount the TV above. If not, you can still make the setup work even if the TV has to be on the stand.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Looks like a pretty fair sized room that warrants big tv. As with any tv, even if it seems big at first you will get used to it after a few weeks and think to yourself you should have gone bigger. With thin bezel tvs now hey seem even smaller than a same size tv of old. I have a 55" KS8000 in a fairly small room and I don't think I would even describe it as a "big" tv now.

That stand seems fine and the speakers seem fine where they are or I'm sure you can come up with a creative solution. Only reason I wouldn't do it is if money was the huge issue.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 23, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah gently caress it, I'm getting 65".

edit - I think Costco is worth it even with tax.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 23, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The $90 square trade warranty is tits

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
For someone who doesn't get some employee discount this "sale" sucks a bag of dicks.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I'm looking for a 50-55" TV. I want something quality, but it doesn't have to be fantastic or top of the line by any means. I have access to 4K content, so I think I'd prefer to get a 4K TV. Looking to keep cost down, but still willing to pay a little extra if it gets me noticeable returns. Going to be used in a fairly dark room for movies and TV, some video games.

Any good all around suggestions?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The $90 square trade warranty is tits

Why do I need an extra warranty?

Edit - buying it. 7 years with Costco credit card. 2 basic Costco + 3 squaretrade + 2 more for using the card

Had to go to two Costcos. The first was sold out, I called the 2nd - they had 6 in stock. I got there 20 minutes later, down to two.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 24, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't think of a room where the styling of the oled wouldn't exceed a similarly sized LCD tv.

Ours gets comments from everyone the first time they visit.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Just got my KS8000 and it looks like the back panel is separating from the bezel and the bezel has some bumps in it as well. I googled it and it seems like a common issue that's purely cosmetic. Tried a forums search and I couldn't really find anything. Anyone else encounter the same thing? I'm going to see if the store I got it from will swap it.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

Just got my KS8000 and it looks like the back panel is separating from the bezel and the bezel has some bumps in it as well. I googled it and it seems like a common issue that's purely cosmetic. Tried a forums search and I couldn't really find anything. Anyone else encounter the same thing? I'm going to see if the store I got it from will swap it.

The brushed stainless band running around mine has a sharp dimple in the top, it'll never be seen so I'm rolling the dice and keeping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

Why do I need an extra warranty?

Edit - buying it. 7 years with Costco credit card. 2 basic Costco + 3 squaretrade + 2 more for using the card

Had to go to two Costcos. The first was sold out, I called the 2nd - they had 6 in stock. I got there 20 minutes later, down to two.

Yea, its just so cheap for $1000+ tv's. You can buy a $80,000 tv and the warranty is $90 lol