Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Okay, no one who isn't projecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

FreeKillB posted:

Hmm, yes what a well-considered and convincing position, I had never thought of this before. Surely if everyone adopted this reasoning only means that the right people (Nazis) would end up being punched. Other protestors (non-Nazis from across the political spectrum) would be fine!
Whereas if we don't punch Nazis, I'm sure other protestors will be just fine as Nazis show the gratitude and respect that they're known for.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The funny part is that even if that Churchill quote were real, that Trump tweet shows more accurately what its real meaning would have been (ie not that people who fight fascists are automatically double-fascist)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lord Hydronium posted:

Whereas if we don't punch Nazis, I'm sure other protestors will be just fine as Nazis show the gratitude and respect that they're known for.

Another dun thing to remember is a white supremacist shooting a protester in Seattle.

The basis of democracy is letting opinions be openly stated and debated but Nazi ideology is committed to using violence to silence all others. They are no longer participants in democracy when they take up positions of genocide and fascism.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FreeKillB posted:

I would consider the argument that even Nazis have a right to not be punched in the face to be real. Like, it was funny and I'm not going to shed tears for the rear end in a top hat, but "it's okay to use violence to suppress the expression of political ideas I find abhorrent" is not a sentiment that I find compatible with the ideals of Western democracy.

Is the freedom to express ideas that actively promote the destruction of that democracy and its ideals an essential part of democracy or is it a failing that leaves it dangerously unable to protect itself from absolutism? Should a democracy be forced to tie its hands behind its back against an ideology that actively seeks its destruction? You're using abhorrent as a personal value judgement when it's far more relevant that those political ideas are fundamentally incompatible with western democracy. There's a reason why German democracy values the preservation of said democracy over absolutist protections of free speech.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Honestly I disagree with the German approach, both on practical and theoretical grounds.

I concede the point that taking the absolutist ACLU side often feels like unilateral disarmament. The price of freedom being eternal vigilance and all that. The short form of my position is that it's okay for people to have terrible views as long as they don't act on them. The harm done is by acting on one's toxic ideology, and such actions should, of course, be vigorously resisted. But preemptively going after the holders of such views under a veil of 'self-defense' smacks to me of thoughtcrime.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mike Dawson on climate change.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
If someone was on a street corner handing out pro-ISIS literature they would, at best, get arrested. It should be the same for Nazis. Advocating for the genocide of entire races of people is unprotected speech. gently caress Nazis. You should get a metal for each Nazi poo poo weasel you punch with a nice bonus if you break their jaw.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Buzz Aldrin punched a moon-landing conspiracy theorist (Bart Sibrel) who pressed charges. The judge threw the case out of court. I feel like a judge would do the same. So yes, punching Nazis and moon-landing conspiracy theorists is cool and good.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FreeKillB posted:

Honestly I disagree with the German approach, both on practical and theoretical grounds.

I concede the point that taking the absolutist ACLU side often feels like unilateral disarmament. The price of freedom being eternal vigilance and all that. The short form of my position is that it's okay for people to have terrible views as long as they don't act on them. The harm done is by acting on one's toxic ideology, and such actions should, of course, be vigorously resisted. But preemptively going after the holders of such views under a veil of 'self-defense' smacks to me of thoughtcrime.

So, what if he had already acted, say, by organizing a campaign to intimidate local jews?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Somehow, Horsey made Propaganda Barbie's outfit less ridiculous than the real thing.

:stonk:

Put your head up Trump's rear end like Branco and you will see light!

e: bonus LOL that's apparently making the rounds on Facebook

"..and through the bong smoke I saw the guiding hand of Jesus."

Sandpuppy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Sandpuppy posted:

That's not bong smoke, that's the artists semen staining the picture.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

FreeKillB posted:

Counterpoint: Nazis are bad and deserve to be punched.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sandpuppy posted:

"Jesus teaches the president how to write"

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

I thought I remembered learning about this way back in highschool...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Buzz Aldrin punched a moon-landing conspiracy theorist (Bart Sibrel) who pressed charges. The judge threw the case out of court. I feel like a judge would do the same. So yes, punching Nazis and moon-landing conspiracy theorists is cool and good.

That wasn't because of his views on the moon landing but because he was constantly harassing Buzz Aldrin.

The nazi dude was giving an interview, which can't be construed as actively harassing or provoking someone even if he is a nazi douchebag who deserves to get punched.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

santanotreal posted:

That wasn't because of his views on the moon landing but because he was constantly harassing Buzz Aldrin.

The nazi dude was giving an interview, which can't be construed as actively harassing or provoking someone even if he is a nazi douchebag who deserves to get punched.

Hmm yes, an interview with a man who advocates genocide is not provoking anyone, yes good point quite right

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sandpuppy posted:

Vape Jesus is guiding his hand to The Button, freeing us from this gay earth and thread full of people inexplicably defending nazis

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hmm yes, an interview with a man who advocates genocide is not provoking anyone, yes good point quite right

Unfortunately he got punched when he was about to explain pepe memes, not while he was advocating genocide. Bad timing is all it was.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"No freedom for the enemies of freedom!" --Saint-Just

I hope you will not try to argue morality with someone who is both Saint and Just.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Donald Trump’s meeting with Theresa May – Prime minister indicates she will not challenge US president’s sexism when she visits the White House this week"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Moddington posted:

Unfortunately he got punched when he was about to explain pepe memes, not while he was advocating genocide. Bad timing is all it was.

Didn't the splc just classify Pepe as hate speech?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ambitious Spider posted:

Didn't the splc just classify Pepe as hate speech?

No, the ADL did that.

quote:

Pepe the Frog is commonly “used by haters on social media to suggest racist, anti-Semitic or other bigoted notions,” the ADL said in a statement announcing the hate-symbol designation.

“Once again, racists and haters have taken a popular Internet meme and twisted it for their own purposes of spreading bigotry and harassing users,” Jonathan A. Greenblatt, ADL’s chief executive officer, said in the statement.

“These anti-Semites have no shame,” Greenblatt said. “They are abusing the image of a cartoon character -- one that might at first seem appealing -- to harass and spread hatred on social media.”

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Improbable Lobster posted:

No one equates non-nazis with nazis.

Reminder that you're defending the "hail Trump", "peaceful ethnic cleansing" and "we should really exterminate the blacks, jews and other non-whites" guy.

In 2003, I was told that Saddam Hussein was a monster and if I didn't support violence against him then I was pro-Saddam. Now I'm being told that Richard Spencer is a monster and if I don't support violence against him then I'm pro-Nazi. Yes, yes, I know that it's different because a lot of civilians got killed in the Iraq invasion. It's still absurd to say that being opposed to violence means you are on the side of those targeted by violence. The argument that "no one's taking away their rights, they're just saying they should get attacked for exercising them" is equally stupid. It's not that different from "anyone who disrespects the flag should be beaten." There's always someone ready to say that violence is okay as long as the target is a really bad person.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Jurgan posted:

There's always someone ready to say that violence is okay as long as the target is a really bad person.

Well... huh... yes?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jurgan posted:

In 2003, I was told that Saddam Hussein was a monster and if I didn't support violence against him then I was pro-Saddam. Now I'm being told that Richard Spencer is a monster and if I don't support violence against him then I'm pro-Nazi. Yes, yes, I know that it's different because a lot of civilians got killed in the Iraq invasion. It's still absurd to say that being opposed to violence means you are on the side of those targeted by violence. The argument that "no one's taking away their rights, they're just saying they should get attacked for exercising them" is equally stupid. It's not that different from "anyone who disrespects the flag should be beaten." There's always someone ready to say that violence is okay as long as the target is a really bad person.

He actively and frequently advocates for the extermination of all non-whites and the destruction of democratic rule. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jurgan posted:

Except, y'know, Nazis actually are bad people as a rule, unlike flag burners. This is like Lester complaining that protesting against homophobia is just as bad as protesting against gay people - both sides think the other is bad, who are we to judge? :shrug:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The surgeons glove suddenly propelling itself into the ceiling makes this the best Rall ever.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Jurgan posted:

I appreciate the point you are making here, but I think that the fact that they are domestic threats with stated antidemocratic goals who are starting to wax in power, yet would take little or no militaristic power to take down is incomparable to a foreign power that we would need to expend massive military resources to avoid a small to nonexistent threat of direct attack.

I mean Saddam was a monster but a full scale invasion was a massive over-reaction to an imagined threat while neo-nazism has gotten a very loud domestic voice that can be shut down with peaceful marches and the odd scuffle. The threat:action needed ratio is completely different.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Jurgan posted:

"gently caress up anyone who disrespects the flag (an inanimate object of no material value)" and "gently caress up anyone who advocates for violent systemic oppression" are not equivalent just because you can categorize them a certain way.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

He actively and frequently advocates for the extermination of all non-whites and the destruction of democratic rule. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence.

True, but strictly speaking that consequence should be legal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very viscerally happy that stupid Nazi man got punched, and as a crime it would definitely rate lower than assaulting a random person or even assaulting some WBC fuckhead. It's still a crime, however, and I'd stop short of advocating it as a policy. Systematically ignoring vigilantism is a pretty dangerous Pandora's Box to open.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Except, y'know, Nazis actually are bad people as a rule, unlike flag burners. This is like Lester complaining that protesting against homophobia is just as bad as protesting against gay people - both sides think the other is bad, who are we to judge? :shrug:

It's not that no one is judging them, it's that advocating violence against someone who is expressing an (admittedly monstrous) political opinion opens the door to bad things for everyone. Where do you draw the line? Is a punch okay, but a lasting beating bad? Can you kill them? And of course, the most obvious and important problem -- how hated does a group have to be to get beatings? Should it be cool to punch Stalinists? Maoists? Sex offenders? Religious radicals?

A really important thing to remember is that the Nazi's didn't win political power just by sulking in their rooms and whining about the Jews like this guy does. They took very concrete, violent action -- they went into the streets, beat people up, broke up meetings, and did a ton of poo poo that is currently illegal. The example someone gave earlier about Muslims is actually a pretty good example -- there are some Muslims who ideologically support ISIL, but that doesn't get them arrested in our current system. Generally, the ones who get arrested are doing more concrete things, like funneling money and recruits to the actual organization.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Emasculator posted:

The example someone gave earlier about Muslims is actually a pretty good example -- there are some Muslims who ideologically support ISIL, but that doesn't get them arrested in our current system.

What the gently caress are you talking about

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

Jesus is helping guide Trump's hand to sign his resignation letter

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Emasculator posted:

It's still a crime, however, and I'd stop short of advocating it as a policy.

Batman did nothing wrong

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Attitude Indicator posted:

The surgeons glove suddenly propelling itself into the ceiling makes this the best Rall ever.

For a brief moment on first glance, I thought I was looking at a Twitter bird taking off. Thanks Trump.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

(At first I thought it was Paul Ryan, but the artist says it's Goebbels)

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ruzihm posted:

Batman did nothing wrong

Batman would've won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Nope. He's your boy, Payne. You and Ramirez and tens of dozens of others of your profession have worked tirelessly to normalize his positions and views and now he's here, he's actually loving here and you're starting to realize what a huge loving mistake this all was. You don't get to have it both ways. You get your dickless rear end back to worshiping him. You loving shitbrain coward.

• Locked thread