Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FedEx Mercury posted:

Black Mesa came out eventually. Don't stop believing.

i think i'm the only person in history that didn't see a problem with xen. i'm also the only person in history that didn't like new doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I'm still extremely proud of myself. I was a goodun back then, just like I am now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think i'm the only person in history that didn't see a problem with xen. i'm also the only person in history that didn't like new doom.

I liked Xen, but disliking the new doom is just weird.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

dude, if you had a kid when you made that post he would be like, entering kindergarden now
I have a kid born in 2012 who will be in kindergarten this fall.

I'm glad he will be in school all day college by the time this comes out so I can spend my time playing Barkley 2 rather than caring for some small human thing.

True doom murderheads plan their families around the release of epic games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

new Doom isn't very good. Xen sucked too though

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm also the only person in history that didn't like new doom.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

new Doom isn't very good.

gently caress yuo!!!

Clearly not TRUE DOOM MURDERHEADS

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

make that two.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I liked Xen, but disliking the new doom is just weird.

it's a not bad game. it's just a terrible doom game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's the most Doom.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

The gently caress are you talking about

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Groovelord Neato posted:

DOOM is more Doom than Doom 2 is.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the one problem I had with my short time playing DOOM was that the "glory kill" mechanic felt wrong in a game where the correct way to play is to always be moving and shooting. ok, well, the chainsaw also seemed like a weird thing as it had a kind of ammo, for a thing that is supposed to give you ammo upon killing things with.

the reason i stopped playing was because i could just not get it through my thick head to keep moving and shooting.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

True COD-CoverUser

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

spit on my clit posted:

the one problem I had with my short time playing DOOM was that the "glory kill" mechanic felt wrong in a game where the correct way to play is to always be moving and shooting. ok, well, the chainsaw also seemed like a weird thing as it had a kind of ammo, for a thing that is supposed to give you ammo upon killing things with.

the reason i stopped playing was because i could just not get it through my thick head to keep moving and shooting.

Glory Killing is what makes the game work.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

i think it was meant to vary the pacing of the game up a little bit so that the player wouldnt just get numb to running around and shooting stuff endlessly. kind of like how barkley 2 is getting the whole gun and combat system to give players a chance to catch their breath in between the action packed, no holds barred comedy sequences. game design 101

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

slouch posted:

i think it was meant to vary the pacing of the game up a little bit so that the player wouldnt just get numb to running around and shooting stuff endlessly. kind of like how barkley 2 is getting the whole gun and combat system to give players a chance to catch their breath in between the action packed, no holds barred comedy sequences. game design 101

wow, I thought I was posting this in the "PYF thing dragging this game down" thread. I think I might have a few problems.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The gently caress are you talking about
he's right. It's Serious Sam with a Doom skin, though better than Serious Sam. The only Doom map it's similar to is Dead Simple

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i didn't like doom 2016 much either

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

all versions of doom suck now shut it and lets get back to trashing this vaporware

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Nothing is better than serious sam

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DOOM shits all over Serious Sam.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
kleers are garbage and whoever designed them is garbage

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Original DOOM is still really fun.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It turns out HDoom is not actually a doom remake with HD graphics.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

what is it, then?

nnnnnnnnnnevermind

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cheen posted:

all versions of doom suck now shut it and lets get back to trashing this vaporware
please don't be mean to Doom 1 and 2, which are perfect videogames.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
tbh, I thought Serious Sam was kind of a silly game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i liked every doom i have played.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Sourceports let you use scrollwheel to cycle weapons right?

Then you could set moving forward to mouse2 and play this the way it was meant to be played, one handed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's true that the design philosophy in Doom 4 isn't exactly Doom-like, but it's certainly in the spirit of fast paced FPS games of the 90s. One of the biggest differences is the structure of the levels; old Doom just wants you to run around quite short mazelike stages getting keys, with only a few instances where you actually need to kill enemies to progress. Meanwhile, for the most part, doom 4 is really long stages of mostly-linear corridors blocked off by mandatory monster arenas. There's some very light puzzle elements and some branching but mostly it's just moving forward until you're not allowed to move forward until everything's dead.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to Serious Sam, though, because it doesn't have Serious Sam's run-away intensive focus. In fact, glory kills encourage you to get right in there in a way Serious Sam never really does. Doom 4's combat cycle is its own unique thing with no real equivalent.

Roobanguy posted:

i liked every doom i have played.

Doom 3 is really boring, to me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Doom 3 might have been a neat game if it wasn't a Doom, but it was a Doom, so it was a bad Doom instead of a neat non-Doom.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Doom64 is the Canon doom 3 in the Barkley universe anyway so it doesn't matter

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im going to mail a box of turds to the sweet treacherous TOG boys

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im going to mail a box of turds to the sweet treacherous TOG boys

they moved just so that wouldn't work

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
One of these days Barkley 2 will come out. It will contain an archive of this thread. Someone will read it. And there'll be a secret hidden within the thread - to click every lower-case "o" letter as that will unlock a secret dungeon. It'll be only slightly less tedious than 100% FFXIII.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Doom64 is the Canon doom 3 in the Barkley universe anyway so it doesn't matter

It's the canon DOOM 3 in the DOOM universe too.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Doom 2016 was great. But enemies are so mobile that it makes every enemy encounter feel a little too samey, it really limits how varied the level design can be. You can do so much with the toolset of classic doom just through enemy placement, but everything in Doom 2016 gets up in your grill seconds after spawning. That said, it was really good at what it did, and I had a grand ol time playing through it.

Also, in other news, there are 32 gun's left to draw. The gun's are at 98%. I will probably not finish them in tonights's stream, but I will come very close for sure. If you want to watch, catch the stream at 8pm EST.
After the gun's are all drawn, I will switch wedesdays' work day to be about animated portraits. This is probably when I will be making backer portraits, and also filling in a few of the gaps left in the Barkley2 npc portraits.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Doom 2016 was great. But enemies are so mobile that it makes every enemy encounter feel a little too samey, it really limits how varied the level design can be. You can do so much with the toolset of classic doom just through enemy placement, but everything in Doom 2016 gets up in your grill seconds after spawning. That said, it was really good at what it did, and I had a grand ol time playing through it.

Also, in other news, there are 32 gun's left to draw. The gun's are at 98%. I will probably not finish them in tonights's stream, but I will come very close for sure. If you want to watch, catch the stream at 8pm EST.
After the gun's are all drawn, I will switch wedesdays' work day to be about animated portraits. This is probably when I will be making backer portraits, and also filling in a few of the gaps left in the Barkley2 npc portraits.

I'm tired of this guy derailing the Barkley 2 thread with Doom chat, mods???

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Let's instead talk about all the exciting development updates posted by the ToG's about their definitely-coming-out-at-some-point and totally-not-a-Kickstarter-scam game, Barkley 2: Queklain no Vengeant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
More like Barkley 2: Queklain no Game.