Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
also, the switch doesn't have native backwards compatibility with the wii u or 3ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Instant Sunrise posted:

i'm sure that whatever it is, breath of the wild is going to be super polarizing with a lot of people loving it and a lot of people hating it.

BOTW confirmed to be a video game

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spellman posted:

I would wait until we see what's up with the Switch, our Nintendo accounts, and the Virtual Console before we make any rash decisions like selling a Wii U

WiiU is pretty dead no matter the success of failure of the Switch. Its not like they will go back to making WiiU games.

Instant Sunrise posted:

also, the switch doesn't have native backwards compatibility with the wii u or 3ds

But this is a good point if that matters to you.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

BOTW confirmed to be a video game

Spoiler that poo poo man!

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Instant Sunrise posted:

Ah, so I can't plug in my Wii Speak? I guess it makes sense then that voice chat has to run on a phone instead.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm probably going to sell it because it will finance my entire Switch purchase plus some. I only have ~$30 worth of games on VC anyways. I do think it's really, really dumb that Nintendo just wouldn't keep a list of what you downloaded on your Nintendo account and let you simply re-download from system to system.

I remember the Wii to Wii U transfer for VC content being hilariously bad.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Bombadilillo posted:

WiiU is pretty dead no matter the success of failure of the Switch. Its not like they will go back to making WiiU games.

No, but assuming Nintendo goes full Nintendo with the Virtual Console, if you bought a bunch of VC games on your Wii U, and no longer have your Wii U to do a system transfer, you'd probably have to repurchase Switch VC games at full price.

Again, that's assuming that Nintendo goes full Nintendo on the Switch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Instant Sunrise posted:

No, but assuming Nintendo goes full Nintendo with the Virtual Console, if you bought a bunch of VC games on your Wii U, and no longer have your Wii U to do a system transfer, you'd probably have to repurchase Switch VC games at full price.

That's assuming someone has a VC library, Or was smart and bought physical games with great resale and can get a whole new and shiny system financed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm probably going to sell it because it will finance my entire Switch purchase plus some.

This isn't a bad reason to sell it. I just am on the side of avoiding selling consoles if you can avoid it. And the Wii U is so unique that we may not see ports of many of the great games. Or some of them. Well, one of them...maybe.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman posted:

I would wait until we see what's up with the Switch, our Nintendo accounts, and the Virtual Console before we make any rash decisions like selling a Wii U

Bombadilillo posted:

I mean with regards to how they handle our online accounts and ownership of our software. The situation could evolve here with the launch of the Switch. Right now game ownership seems to be tethered to the console they exist on, rather than floating up in a cloud waiting to be deployed into any system that we own.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

I don't think a system transfer will even be a thing for Wii U -> Switch. The lack of backwards compatibility means there's nothing to bring over, and your NNID already tracks what you've bought on the eShop if they do the VC-discount thing again.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I have to say that as a person of non-Japanese descent I find it very offensive that people call the country Japan. That's insensitive to the folks who actually inhabit the islands. They call it Nihon.

And I stand with Infinitum. I could see, easily, what he meant. Stop being offended by everything people. Especially here on SA.

imo its weird that Britain just decided to call some countries whatever they wanted instead of what the native people named it and we just still do this.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Decius posted:

Rime is dumpster fire Sony pulled their money out of after having been strung along for 3 years without anything to show for and now suddenly it is finished (for multiple platforms no less!) after already being declared dead. I expect absolutely nothing from it.

Eh, that's shame. The trailers made it look really interesting.

I guess I'll see what it's like after a few reviews, it might not be awful. But that does sound pretty damning.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Do we have any information on loading times for cart versus downloaded?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't see why they'd be any different in this case.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I don't see why they'd be any different in this case.

I don't imagine there would be, guess looking for confirm.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nephzinho posted:

Do we have any information on loading times for cart versus downloaded?

Unless there's an additional asset download (ala Xenoblade Chronicles X) then there shouldn't be a difference.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Louisgod posted:

Unless there's an additional asset download (ala Xenoblade Chronicles X) then there shouldn't be a difference.

I assume downloaded means running off a microSD, in which case we need to question how fast data can be loaded from a normal cart. MicroSD cards can only read data at around 50-80 MB/sec. I would bet that Nintendo would never reveal this information, so we would have to wait until the Switch is actually released to do empirical tests.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
If you order from Nintendo Japan, you can customize your package for different combinations. Want both joy-cons to be red? No problem. You even get gold coins for your purchase, in the unlikely scenario that you need to use them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nalin posted:

I assume downloaded means running off a microSD, in which case we need to question how fast data can be loaded from a normal cart. MicroSD cards can only read data at around 50-80 MB/sec. I would bet that Nintendo would never reveal this information, so we would have to wait until the Switch is actually released to do empirical tests.

Okay, so, is there any noticeable loss of or improved speed on a New 3DS? It can both run games off of a miniSD and the proprietary cart.

Anyway, yeah, I'm sure people will test it but I'm guessing the difference is marginal, if anyt.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I would imagine the carts will be slightly faster but by the tiniest, most negligible amount.

And you're loading off both anyways since all your save data is on the SD.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jimmy Hats posted:

I would imagine the carts will be slightly faster but by the tiniest, most negligible amount.

And you're loading off both anyways since all your save data is on the SD.

Wouldn't a cart be considerably faster as well as better on battery life?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How the gently caress are Bomberman and Binding of Isaac 40-50 dollars? I was actually considering picking them up at like $20 each.

Also don't sell your Wii U now. It'll probably be worth more in a year or two and you can hack it to play GameCube games natively over HDMI.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

IIRC back when the Vita came out tests showed that carts loaded faster than reading off the memory cards, but then again I have no idea what the read speed on a Vita memory card is vs. the speeds of SDXC/etc. The difference was like 2-3 seconds tops.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Really my thought comes down to whether I should buy Mario Kart digitally this time around, as the Wii U was much slower on disc (and was also the game that most consistently had me swapping discs) with loadtimes that added up over long sessions.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The half a millisecond longer it takes for it to load off a micro SD card is countered by the several seconds it takes to change game carts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Really my thought comes down to whether I should buy Mario Kart digitally this time around, as the Wii U was much slower on disc (and was also the game that most consistently had me swapping discs) with loadtimes that added up over long sessions.

Buy physical so you can sell it when the paid online is no bueno

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Buy physical so you can sell it when the paid online is no bueno

I have bought 100% physical all things gaming, this is literally just to shave a minute or whatever off my Mario Kart 8 run time.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

How the gently caress are Bomberman and Binding of Isaac 40-50 dollars? I was actually considering picking them up at like $20 each.

Also don't sell your Wii U now. It'll probably be worth more in a year or two and you can hack it to play GameCube games natively over HDMI.

BoI includes 2 $10 expansions at least.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Rexroom posted:

If you order from Nintendo Japan, you can customize your package for different combinations. Want both joy-cons to be red? No problem. You even get gold coins for your purchase, in the unlikely scenario that you need to use them.

Meanwhile, the Nintendo online stores in other regions dont' even have Switch pre-orders. This is kind of crap. :colbert:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Policenaut posted:

IIRC back when the Vita came out tests showed that carts loaded faster than reading off the memory cards, but then again I have no idea what the read speed on a Vita memory card is vs. the speeds of SDXC/etc. The difference was like 2-3 seconds tops.

Would it be different with the larger games on a standard console? MicroSD cards are slower than a 5400 rpm hard drive.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

SeANMcBAY posted:

If Bomberman was online only I'd see it being 20$.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Buy bomberman anyways

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/arthur_parsons/status/823557664949075968

Lego Worlds, the Minecraft-like construction game, is coming to the Switch?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rexroom posted:

https://twitter.com/arthur_parsons/status/823557664949075968

Lego Worlds, the Minecraft-like construction game, is coming to the Switch?

A Lego Dimensions that cuts out the portal switching puzzles would seem like a lot of lost content but honestly I'd buy such a version because that poo poo gets tiring hella fast after the fiftieth or so time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I have to say that as a person of non-Japanese descent I find it very offensive that people call the country Japan. That's insensitive to the folks who actually inhabit the islands. They call it Nihon.

And I stand with Infinitum. I could see, easily, what he meant. Stop being offended by everything people. Especially here on SA.

hi i'm posting from the future to say you don't get to decide that

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

BoI Rebirth with expansions is close to $40 on Steam.
Super Bomberman R is not a multiplayer-only XBLA budget title.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As good as Wind Waker HD was, I wish they had waited for the Switch to port it over. I had a dream of playing it on a portable device way back in 2004 and playing DQ8 on my 3DS made me realize that I'm nearly in my dream's future.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Detective No. 27 posted:

As good as Wind Waker HD was, I wish they had waited for the Switch to port it over. I had a dream of playing it on a portable device way back in 2004 and playing DQ8 on my 3DS made me realize that I'm nearly in my dream's future.

I think there's a good chance that any game worth playing on the Wii U will get a Switch port at some point. Nintendo's really big on avoiding dry spells now, and some kind of Windwaker/Twilight Princess 2pack for the Switch, or just individual budget releases, would probably be fairly low effort for them to make later on. And it would easily fill a lot of those gaps to do that kind of thing.

Same goes for stuff like Super Mario 3D World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, Reggie's already said Nintendo is focused more on having a steady stream of games rather than a big, game-packed launch lineup so presumably we'll get those Wii U mulligans down the pipe.

• Locked thread