Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
If that $35K car was a nice reliable car then I'd just suck it up, pay it off ASAP, and drive it until it dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Keep driving it, any effort to trade it in will probably end up in an even higher loss than 6k of depreciation that the car has already gone through.

I'm not suggesting you crash your car but you do have gap insurance :v:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
If you want to make good long term financial plans, financing $6000 of literally unsecured, no value debt at a higher interest rate is not in your interest.

Throw additional money at the principal of your auto loan so you can stop paying interest on it.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.
I'll agree with the posters who advise against rolling over negative equity, it's generally a bad idea. Think of it this way: the equity in your car only matters if you total it or sell it. The gap insurance covers you if you wreck it, and you can choose not to sell it. You've already endured the steepest part of the depreciation curve, now just take care of the car and enjoy the ride. Most new cars will last a good 10-15 years with simple maintenance and without too much trouble.

This is of course general advice, and assumes that the car meets your needs. There are some edge cases where it may make sense, but it would be unusual.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
BWM: Paying turbotax to do your taxes if you are above various "normal" earner caps.

I pay a few hundred a year to have some guy handle it all for me. I always run it through turbotax for free (no filing) first, and he always gets me more money, tracks my non-deductible IRA basis, handles carryover AMT deduction issues, etc. The cost delta more than pays for itself several years running. I debated having him re-do my taxes from years prior when I used it for K-1 stuff and likely overpaid, but in the end trying to dig up the required paperwork outweighed my interest.

He's also just a nice guy to sit there and chat with while he does it.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
BWM tax talk just overheard at work:

A woman a few cubes down said they were paying to have their taxes done because she sells Mary Kay and doesn't understand how the taxes work. She said she would rather have some who understands do her taxes than mess them up.

Early 20s guy next to me pipes up and says "You don't need that. I lied on my taxes last year and nothing bad happened." :downs:

At least everyone told him he's an idiot and not to do that again....

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

BWM: Paying turbotax to do your taxes if you are above various "normal" earner caps.

I pay a few hundred a year to have some guy handle it all for me. I always run it through turbotax for free (no filing) first, and he always gets me more money, tracks my non-deductible IRA basis, handles carryover AMT deduction issues, etc. The cost delta more than pays for itself several years running. I debated having him re-do my taxes from years prior when I used it for K-1 stuff and likely overpaid, but in the end trying to dig up the required paperwork outweighed my interest.

He's also just a nice guy to sit there and chat with while he does it.

So where is he getting the extra money out of that makes it difficult to handle yourself year after year? Couldn't you just figure out what he does and apply the same strategies next year? I thought about hiring someone to help with AMT issues but a lot of that such as grouping deductions needs to be planned in advance and I don't think I will be in AMT for more than 1 year. What can a tax person do after the real decisions have already been made?

I just want to hire someone for a one time fee to look over everything in my financial life and tell me if I'm missing anything. Is a tax professional the best person for that?

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 23, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

potatoducks posted:

What can a tax person do after the real decisions have already been made?

You get to sit and chat with them about how much money you made and how successful you are, and you don't feel like a douche because they need to know all about it to do their job.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Droo posted:

You get to sit and chat with them about how much money you made and how successful you are, and you don't feel like a douche because they need to know all about it to do their job.

Unless your CPA complains about how poorly their business is doing and then you still feel like a shitheel.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

potatoducks posted:

So where is he getting the extra money out of that makes it difficult to handle yourself year after year? Couldn't you just figure out what he does and apply the same strategies next year? I thought about hiring someone to help with AMT issues but a lot of that such as grouping deductions needs to be planned in advance and I don't think I will be in AMT for more than 1 year. What can a tax person do after the real decisions have already been made?

I just want to hire someone for a one time fee to look over everything in my financial life and tell me if I'm missing anything. Is a tax professional the best person for that?

I am bad at keeping it all organized and it changes slightly year over year. I like the peace of mind paying someone else to stay on top of it. I have big folder-o-taxes I maintain over the year, sort, tally, and hand to him. In the end he asks me about things which might change in the next 12 months and gives me advice on targets for withholding. I'm sure I could do all of this for ~$50 in turbo tax but the ~$300 I spend there helps me plan for the upcoming year, maintain basis information, carryovers, etc.

We did a fee for service financial planning session a few years ago. It was great. They laid out our savings rates, goals, etc. If you want to get tax advice out of it I would be up front with them when scheduling, they may have a better idea. It came with a brochure about how they could charge me 1% of my managed assets to make market average returns. We declined. Most of the "big picture" stuff I get from maintaining the horrible security risk that is "Fidelity Full View". If you fill it out accurately and completely you can know your net worth at a glance.

Droo posted:

Last year he wanted to give me a bunch of advice about becoming a first time parent. After a minute he realized the financial stuff was all in order and it was just a lot of how great it is being a parent. It was sweet. :3:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5pr5ek/in_my_sister_let_someone_off_craigslist_borrow_a/ posted:

[IN] My sister let someone off Craigslist borrow a saddle to try out. The girl kept the saddle and is now trying to sell it.

Indiana. My sister had a saddle for sale on Craigslist when she started going back and forth with a teenage girl (18 IIRC). The girl asked to borrow the saddle to try it out on her horse, and my sister agreed. After a couple weeks the girl said the saddle didn't fit her horse very well, but that she was on vacation and would return it when she got back. She never got back in contact. My sister tried getting in touch with her via phone to no avail. Sister saw an ad on Craigslist for our saddle, freaked out, and again tried to get in touch with the girl, this time via Facebook. The girl blocked her. My sister and mom tracked down her address and showed up at her house. The mother answered the door, took down my mom's phone number, and said she would 'get to the bottom of it' but seemed to be siding with my family. This was yesterday and we still have not heard back.

I feel like they went about this the wrong way (I told them they should have gotten the mother's phone number and told her if they didn't hear back by 6pm legal action would be taken). We are now toying with the idea of staging a sale with the girl via a friend and then just taking the saddle back when she shows up. We have all conversation between my sister and this girl recorded, as well as pictures of the saddle, in our possession. Would this be illegal to do? Is there a better way to go about this? Should we just lawyer up? Call the police?

Why would you let a random stranger borrow something you put up on Craigslist.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

monster on a stick posted:

A red string connecting two pins on a cork board, one with the label 'horse person' and the other 'bad decisions'. I step back to consider the complex vista before me, but what does it all mean?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

cowofwar posted:

The good rate you probably have on the new car loan now is not going to available on a used car.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

My personal opinion is that it makes more sense to drive a nice new car that you overpaid for into the ground while taking advantage of the factory warranty fresh tires and brakes etc rather than just take the bath immediately if the payments aren't crushing you, but many Ramsey-ites would definitely advocate that you immediately sell the expensive car at a big loss and roll negative equity into an overall cheaper loan. An important factor to consider is that you're almost guaranteed to be paying a substantially higher interest rate on a loan involving negative equity such that it may actually incur more monthly interest at the beginning of the loan even if the overall debt is lower.

If that $35K car was a nice reliable car then I'd just suck it up, pay it off ASAP, and drive it until it dies.

I Like Jell-O posted:

I'll agree with the posters who advise against rolling over negative equity, it's generally a bad idea. Think of it this way: the equity in your car only matters if you total it or sell it. The gap insurance covers you if you wreck it, and you can choose not to sell it. You've already endured the steepest part of the depreciation curve, now just take care of the car and enjoy the ride. Most new cars will last a good 10-15 years with simple maintenance and without too much trouble.

This is of course general advice, and assumes that the car meets your needs. There are some edge cases where it may make sense, but it would be unusual.

Yeah I've stewed on it all day, and I'm going to keep paying it off and get it knocked out early, then keep it an extra decade. I did want to treat myself, and I adore the thing, so I guess I could make stupider mistakes :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If they got something in writing they could just take her to small claims court.

Something tells me they didn't.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
BWM: no paper trail.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

BWM Reddit posted:

Over the past 3 years I have made terrible and irresponsible decisions which consist of taking out 4 different credit lines using my fathers information and basically ruining his credit. I would be confident at first by making minimum payments each month on every line (I realize that would ultimately take years to pay off a balance in full by doing this) but eventually late payments would occur and it all started piling up. My minimum wage job of course made it hard to keep up with everything and now I have a huge mess to deal with. My parents have slowly become aware of each line and I have been punished for it. I realize the severe consequences I could receive if they would proceed to press charges against me but that is the last thing they would like to do. I have taken full responsibility for paying everything off and they know that (even though it is my fathers credit that is taking the major blow).
Currently I am 18 (will be turning 19 in about 2 weeks), currently on a semester break from community college, work at Fedex Ground as a package handler part time where the average work week at this time of year is about 10-12 hours. I also have a car loan where I pay about $260 a month and a credit card under my name that I owe about $600 on. I have no money in the bank after making as many payments possible for each account every month. Currently I am looking for a full time job basically anywhere but have no had much success.
Balances on accounts (all rounded up to the nearest 10): Amazon Store Card - $4300 Barclaycard- $3600 Newegg Store Card- $1810 PayPal Credit- $2400
Minimum Payments have risen up to about $250 each since I have been paying what I can each month but late fees are still charged.
Terribly sorry for any lack of information but I will gladly provide as much as I can to anyone who is willing to help.
I am not asking for a shaming or bashing, I realize that I have been foolish, irresponsible and I have accepted that I have messed up severely. I know that I have committed crimes and could potentially face severe criminal charges. All I am asking for is help and advice.
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and provide feedback.

TL/DR: 19 year old took out $12,000 in debt in his parents name over the last 3 years (aka starting at 16 years old). Also has a car loan @ $260 a month and a credit card in his own name. The sadder part is his post history - including gems about losing his job at Wal Mart, being attracted to a 17 year old, and complaining about all the money he's wasted on clothes he doesn't like.

Can't decide if it's worse that his parents didn't notice him having $12,000 worth of stuff and not questioning how he could afford it (however his post history seems that he might have spent a decent amount of this money digitally).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/couple-worrying-about-managing-debts/

quote:

Seattle’s soaring home prices drove renters Kathryn Jacoby and Jeff Whitehill to a sobering conclusion last summer: If they didn’t buy a house before prices rose higher, they could never afford to own a home in the city.

So the young couple lined up financing, raised a down payment and started house hunting. In July they bought a 72-year-old house near Seattle’s Carkeek Park for $550,000.

Then things got even more interesting.

Their monthly expenses now included a $2,478 mortgage bill. Jacoby wasn’t sure how to pay back a $30,000 loan from her parents for buying the house. And Whitehill’s repayments on his $60,000 student loan are expected to reset this year, jumping from about $100 a month to between $500 and $600.

“There were so many things to think about,” Jacoby said. “It was overwhelming.”

Jacoby and Whitehill are among the members of Seattle’s millennial generation who are wrestling with such big-ticket items as costly housing and student loans before they have reached their peak earning years.

Home prices in the Seattle area have jumped 59 percent since 2012, when the market hit bottom during the housing bust.

Meanwhile, about 57 percent of Washington state’s college seniors graduated with student-loan debt in 2015, according to The Institute for College Access and Success. Their average student debt that year was $24,600. Graduate students typically accumulate even more debt.

Dana Twight, a Seattle financial planner who volunteered to help Jacoby and Whitehill, said the couple “have a common problem, a problem that many millennials have.”

“Young couples like them are between a rock and a hard place.”

The unmarried couple decided to start their careers in the area after they earned graduate degrees from the University of Washington.

Jacoby, 30, earns about $45,000 a year as an operations coordinator for Imagine Housing, an Eastside developer of affordable housing.

Whitehill, 32, makes about $65,000 a year as a research associate at The BERC Group, an education research and consulting firm in Bothell.

Their combined pretax earnings of about $110,000 is above Seattle’s median household income of $80,349 in 2015. Still, Twight noted that $100,000 doesn’t go as far as it used to because of such costly items as housing.

Jacoby and Whitehill lack an emergency fund, although they have about $19,000 in savings and an additional $7,900 in checking accounts.

Both of them are using their employers’ 401(k) plans to save for retirement. Jacoby has about $1,500 in her retirement account, while Whitehill has about $14,000.

Both of their cars are paid for, and they pay off their credit cards every month.

The household’s big bill is the mortgage. Jacoby and Whitehill owe about $437,900 at a favorable interest rate of 3.625 percent. The home’s estimated market value is $604,600, according to Zillow, giving the couple about $166,700 in equity.

Jacoby and Whitehill reached out for help when they realized they needed more savvy with money management, budgeting and planning ahead.

The Financial Planning Association of Puget Sound connected the couple with Twight, who advised them for free.

She said Jacoby and Whitehill are in better shape than they realize. The couple made a smart move, Twight said, when they decided to boost their income by renting a room.

At first Jacoby and Whitehill rented the room to travelers through online rental site Airbnb. The experiment ended two months later.

“It turned out to be a lot more work than we anticipated,” Whitehill said. The monthly income – about $200 – wasn’t worth the trouble.

So the couple instead rented the room to a steady tenant for $800 a month. The predictable revenue stream “makes things feel more doable,” Jacoby said.

Thanks in part to their rental income, Jacoby and Whitehill are sufficiently in the black to continue making monthly contributions to their workplace retirement plans despite their costly mortgage.

Whether they are saving enough for retirement is another matter, however.

Twight got the couple’s attention when her projections showed that they would run out of money in retirement at their current savings rate.

Sitting side by side, Jacoby and Whitehill looked at Twight’s projection on a laptop at their kitchen table. The projected red ink appears in their early 70s and progressively deepens.

“It’s pretty eye-opening,” Whitehill said.

Their options are to work into their 70s, cut their annual retirement spending by as much as $30,000 a year or save an additional $11,000 a year for retirement.

“We’re probably going to increase our savings,” Whitehill said.

Twight urged the couple to establish an emergency fund so that if one of them is thrown out of work, the couple has enough money to stay current on their house payments.

Although Jacoby and Whitehill have about $27,000 in checking and savings accounts, some of that money is already earmarked for monthly expenses and home improvement. Jacoby also may tap those accounts to help pay back the loan from her parents.

The couple also like the idea of establishing an emergency fund that they would use only in emergencies, such as for major home repairs, a job loss or a health crisis.

Twight urged the couple to establish such a fund and to do so before paying back the $30,000 loan from Jacoby’s parents.

She suggested an emergency fund large enough to cover three mortgage payments, or a little more than $7,400. That way, if one of them is thrown out of work, the couple have enough money to stay current on their house payments.

Jacoby and Whitehill were pleasantly surprised by Twight’s focus on the long view. It’s critical, Jacoby said, “but something that I never had the energy to think about.”

When asked what advice they would give to other young couples, Whitehill quipped: “Get engaged to a saver.” Jacoby let out a hearty laugh.

Her advice was different. She urged young adults to push back against the high cost of housing and college by telling public officials to address the problems.

“It’s totally unfair that young people are in the positions they are in,” she said.

:fuckoff:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
To be fair, that is a great deal on a house in that area.

Shits totally hosed here. We're on the other side of the freeway, same distance to downtown Seattle. In 2009 houses in our neighborhood were in the 360,000-400,000 range. Now most of them are selling between 600,000 and 650,000. North Seattle real estate is loving stupid. (And when the bubble popped in 2009 it didn't drag things down much)

Sitting around and waiting for the bubble to pop again is nice but i'm not sure how much relief people will experience. Pair that with the fact that rent around here is pretty close to on par with mortgage prices and and literally zero houses sitting around on market.

edit: I may have missed the point of your post. Their retirement savings problem is lovely.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 24, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I agree and I was priced out of Seattle a long time ago (also, neither my wife or I work in Seattle so...), just that this article hits a bunch of BWM buttons all at once.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Amazon is growing by 5-15 thousand people a year downtown for the forseable future and paying them big wages. It's not going to stop.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bugamol posted:

TL/DR: 19 year old took out $12,000 in debt in his parents name over the last 3 years (aka starting at 16 years old). Also has a car loan @ $260 a month and a credit card in his own name. The sadder part is his post history - including gems about losing his job at Wal Mart, being attracted to a 17 year old, and complaining about all the money he's wasted on clothes he doesn't like.

Can't decide if it's worse that his parents didn't notice him having $12,000 worth of stuff and not questioning how he could afford it (however his post history seems that he might have spent a decent amount of this money digitally).

How is it weird that a guy who's just about to turn 19 is attracted to a 17 year old? That's a pretty rigid dating pool requirement there.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm confused by "lack an emergency fund" but have $26.5k in the bank?

Edit hmm perhaps if I had finished reading the article....

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 24, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

This is my new favorite explanation of how taxes work.

reddit posted:

So i've calculated that I should be getting a $350 tax return but turbo tax is only saying I will get $8 back. My income was $39,389 and federal withholdings were $3,898. I should be in the 25% tax bracket which would make me liable for $9,847 in taxes minus the standard deduction of $6,300 which would put me at $3,547. So since I paid $3,898 and was only supposed to pay $3,547 shouldn't I be getting $351 back instead of the $8 turbo tax is telling me?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I can't figure out how that couple are struggling when they should have a huge savings rate. Student loans and mortgage are inconsequential given their combined income (unless tax is a lot higher than I'm expecting).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Devian666 posted:

I can't figure out how that couple are struggling when they should have a huge savings rate. Student loans and mortgage are inconsequential given their combined income (unless tax is a lot higher than I'm expecting).

don't forget, they were making minimum payments of 100 bucks!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm confused why they are living in Seattle (which is expensive as hell) when both their jobs are on the Eastside, where housing is a hell of a lot cheaper and wouldn't give them the long commute they have right now all the way from Carkeek.

quote:

When asked what advice they would give to other young couples, Whitehill quipped: “Get engaged to a saver.” Jacoby let out a hearty laugh.

Her advice was different. She urged young adults to push back against the high cost of housing and college by telling public officials to address the problems.

Maybe do what everyone else does in their situation and cut expenses, but :effort:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

I'm confused why they are living in Seattle (which is expensive as hell) when both their jobs are on the Eastside, where housing is a hell of a lot cheaper and wouldn't give them the long commute they have right now all the way from Carkeek.

Maybe do what everyone else does in their situation and cut expenses, but :effort:

I think this is what's getting me. Why the gently caress are they spending so much? They could just spend a bit less and pay debts/put money away for retirement. Their mortgage payment is quite reasonable as well. They could instead try living in Auckland NZ where to live in the equivalent area you're paying well over $1m for a house, or $1.5-$2m for something that isn't completely poo poo.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Devian666 posted:

I think this is what's getting me. Why the gently caress are they spending so much? They could just spend a bit less and pay debts/put money away for retirement. Their mortgage payment is quite reasonable as well. They could instead try living in Auckland NZ where to live in the equivalent area you're paying well over $1m for a house, or $1.5-$2m for something that isn't completely poo poo.

Because they work hard and deserve it blah blah blah, why are you trying to keep the Millennials down you terrible jerk.

The mortgage payment works out to $30K a year, that's not including property taxes and insurance, then they have student loan payments, federal income tax/FICA, guessing at least one car payment, plus lifestyle like being able to hit the locally sourced organic brewing company, it really comes down to lifestyle. The mortgage payment may be reasonable in Auckland or Vancouver or if one of them was working at Amazon but it isn't and they're not.

vvv - thanks for the correction, I suspect you are right and they are either counting savings as an expense which :lol: or lighting money on fire at Tom Douglas restaurants or something. Also they have a tenant paying $800/mo.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 24, 2017

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Devian666 posted:

They're paying $25,000 a year tops when it comes to taxes, most likely less. They're either lighting money on fire elsewhere, or it's one of those stupid articles that considers retirement contributions as an expense. I liked how they wanted to have the government step in and save them though.

quote:

The mortgage payment works out to $30K a year, that's not including property taxes and insurance, then they have student loan payments, federal income tax/FICA, guessing at least one car payment, plus lifestyle like being able to hit the locally sourced organic brewing company, it really comes down to lifestyle. The mortgage payment may be reasonable in Auckland or Vancouver or if one of them was working at Amazon but it isn't and they're not.
The mortage payment includes property taxes and insurance. Plug in $437,900 and 3.625% interest are mortgage calcuator and P&I is going to be around $2000 a month. Their student loans have been $100 a month, and both cars are paid for.

Harry fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 24, 2017

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I didn't notice they were both working on the eastside. They could probably live in bothell or woodinville for a bit less.

It's pretty easy to burn the gently caress out of money you could be saving if they are both eating out every day and buying coffee. I work in SLU and i'm lucky if I can get away with a lunch out for less than 15$ out. If I buy lunch in the company cafe - maybe 8-10$. If I just get a soup its 5$.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

I didn't notice they were both working on the eastside. They could probably live in bothell or woodinville for a bit less.

It's pretty easy to burn the gently caress out of money you could be saving if they are both eating out every day and buying coffee. I work in SLU and i'm lucky if I can get away with a lunch out for less than 15$ out. If I buy lunch in the company cafe - maybe 8-10$. If I just get a soup its 5$.

Even areas of Juanita should be somewhat reasonably priced still but I haven't checked recently. It's not just saving money, it's also a lot less of a commute which is GWM and GWL because you aren't in a car all day.

I know people who do the $15 workday lunch thing and genuinely don't get it. I guess we are lucky because there's a taco truck that has cheap lunches, plus some inexpensive Asian food (now getting into the $8-10 range) but I think food is a bit less expensive on this side of the water.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Even areas of Juanita should be somewhat reasonably priced still but I haven't checked recently. It's not just saving money, it's also a lot less of a commute which is GWM and GWL because you aren't in a car all day.

I know people who do the $15 workday lunch thing and genuinely don't get it. I guess we are lucky because there's a taco truck that has cheap lunches, plus some inexpensive Asian food (now getting into the $8-10 range) but I think food is a bit less expensive on this side of the water.

Even if they spend $50 a day on food there's still a gigantic hole in their budget.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Harry posted:

Even if they spend $50 a day on food there's still a gigantic hole in their budget.

I keep re-reading it because I think I must be missing something. This is the couple with $110k gross income and a $550k house? It seems to me like that would be a stretch.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People who buy lunch when they have a decent income and yet money is tight are the laziest. Throw some poo poo in a pot and let go overnight and you have soup or chili for the week.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Did they also admit to borrowing money ($30,000) from a family member to pay the downpayment? Pretty sure that's a no no.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

Did they also admit to borrowing money ($30,000) from a family member to pay the downpayment? Pretty sure that's a no no.

It's only a no no if it's not disclosed to the lender. It's just another signature, set of bank statements, and wire transfer.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Droo posted:

I keep re-reading it because I think I must be missing something. This is the couple with $110k gross income and a $550k house? It seems to me like that would be a stretch.

Yeah same here. That seems like a big mortgage for that income level.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The cheery for me was her job:

quote:

Jacoby, 30, earns about $45,000 a year as an operations coordinator for Imagine Housing, an Eastside developer of affordable housing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

How is it weird that a guy who's just about to turn 19 is attracted to a 17 year old? That's a pretty rigid dating pool requirement there.

Half your age plus seven... checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

Yeah same here. That seems like a big mortgage for that income level.

Seems like a typical mortgage to me but I'm living in a housing bubble. Their mortgage is quite affordable but there's something wrong with their spending.

• Locked thread