Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've begun focusing Chapys, Kutuzovs, and Donskois because they light a fire under my FDG's rear end bad. So yeah, IFHE has definitely made me shift targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thronde posted:

I've begun focusing Chapys, Kutuzovs, and Donskois because they light a fire under my FDG's rear end bad. So yeah, IFHE has definitely made me shift targets.

Why wouldn't you have been shooting at them beforehand? They can't steer around incoming fire, can be citadeled at any range from any angle by 14" guns or bigger, and take maybe 3-4 hits to die, and were already only good if you let them live long enough to build up their fire damage over time. I mean, the instant my Chapayev is spotted every battleship on the planet drops everything and turns around to shoot at it, same went for Schors.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

:11tea:

:)

:saddowns:

:vince: gneisenau you loving hero, i love you

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 23, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is that a mod to show you exactly what angle people are pointed?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Thronde posted:

Between the DE nerf and them taking IFHE, if anything they light less fire now !

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yes it's part of aslain modpack.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

gwrtheyrn posted:

yeah, navigator mod in aslains/official mod pack

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
Applied to 4SKIN, same name as here

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cippalippus posted:

Europeans aren't Americans. "mongoloid" is friendly banter. I've had to curse so hard that the ghost of Martin Luther King came down to ask me to stop, and I just got a warning.

We also universally consider Americans whiny and dumb about all things politically correct :italy:

Mongloid is a direct reference to orientalist science and colonialism. Frankly I'm more disturbed it's a European saying it than I would be if it's an American.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I havent played this game for a long time. Which lines are good nowadays?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Mongloid is a direct reference to orientalist science and colonialism. Frankly I'm more disturbed it's a European saying it than I would be if it's an American.

It's commonly used as a synonyms to dumbass. Altho it sounds like Mongolia I guess nobody knows where it comes from.

Speaking of botes, I finally grinded a fresh soviet captain to lvl 10 since Moskva captain can't really go into Kutuzov anymore.
IFHE is awesome, between this and the new alert thing,I think soviet cruisers must be very pleasing to grind now.
Before they relied too much on fire to do damage.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 23, 2017

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Nektu posted:

I think they all have some pretty good bright spots to them, but the most consistent and best bang for your time invested tier to tier are probably German BB, USN/USSR DD and UK (T6+)/USSR cruisers.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

You're taking this a little too seriously since in online boat games and in the internet in general, mongoloid is a synonym for slow-witted, dumb and idiot, and I doubt Flamu meant to infringe on anybody's culture by using the word.

Nektu posted:

I'd recommend German BB's if you like Battleships for a solid line from start to finish, most Russian cruisers right now are very strong with IFHE and probably offer the "safest" and ironically most rewarding cruiser gameplay due to their very good range. You can take your pick between Russian DD's for annoying mosquitoes with deadly guns or American DD's for anti-DD, knife-fighting action, both are fun lines to grind down.

Everything else really depends if you can stomach some stinkers in the lines. Royal Navy cruisers are allegedly nothing special until you get to the Leander, and even then, they're quite unforgiving to play due to how easy they are to delete, plus there's an annoying smoke bug which is killing RN ships faster than they can reverse back into their smokes. German DD's are cursed with bad HE shells, and later ships sacrifice mobility and torpedo alpha damage for the ability to mount sonar.

Those are all the new ships, you're probably already familiar with the older lines. They haven't really changed so if you didn't enjoy grinding them back then, you'll probably not enjoy it now. As far as the most competitive ships go, it's probably still the Zao, your choice between Kurfurst (absurd armor) and Yamato (absurd gunpower), Hakuryuu if you swing the carrier way, and the DD's are versatile enough that none of them are especially bad, though the Shimakaze is the sneakiest one, the Khabarovsk has the firepower advantage, and the Gearing sits comfortably in the middle.

OSad fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 23, 2017

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

ZombieLenin posted:

Nobody in Europe uses it how you mean it, stop making a big deal about it.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Kore_Fero posted:

Applied to [GOON] as Wardyne. I'm sensitive to how my playstyle and general server population is perceived by internet strangers so please can we limit all that sort of chat while I am on discord (is there a discord channel?).

Good troll, 10/10

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I've almost unlocked Fiji, and I have only high praise for the Leander. Both Caledon and Emerald were really fun boats in their own ways, but the Leander blows them both out of the water. Good torps, terrifying guns against anything that's broadsiding you and both speed and agility to run when your smoke isn't available. Danae is a shitpile though, since it lacks smoke and is far too easily detected.

Sometimes you explode from a frontal triple citadel, but I can live with that in return for the ability to lurk around some annoying spot of the map and abuse the clown parade on the enemy team.

Belfast is an amazing boat as well, in case you want a British crew trainer.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

What are the good premiums to get if I was looking to get trainers or w/e for each nation?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Mongoloid is an actual early ethnological/anthropological term that's still in (limited) use to classify the physical appearance of East Asian people's along with terms negroid and caucasoid for other races, despite them now being part of a disputed racial typographical classification. Some in the field feel it's too offensive even when used technically since people with Downs Syndrome have epicanthic folds and were once said to have "Mongloid Idiocy" or to be Mongoloids.

So calling someone a mongoloid is probably up here with calling someone retarded in offensiveness and I'd hope people could maybe try to come up with alternative terms of calling someone a moron, there are so many to choose from. May I suggest potatoid.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 24, 2017

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

What are the good premiums to get if I was looking to get trainers or w/e for each nation?

I myself mostly use the Scharnhorst for German, Arizona for US, Gremy for USSR, and the Atago for Japan

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

VietCampo posted:

Gremy for USSR

I got the sims for my beta buy in :negative:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cippalippus posted:

Nobody in Europe uses it how you mean it, stop making a big deal about it.

*looks at big red title*

Hmmm

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

gwrtheyrn posted:

I got the sims for my beta buy in :negative:
Don't feel bad because Sims is cool + good

Even if it has the worst torpedoes ever

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

Gonna say Scharnhorst or Tirpitz for Germany, but Scharn is more fun in my opinion. Belfast definitely has the edge over the Warspite for UK, although I think UK BB are expected at some point this year so it's not a bad pickup. Kutuzov for USSR (requires learning how to play with smoke, alternatively the Molotov isn't bad but sits at T6), Atago for IJN, and Arizona and Atlanta for USN. Only thing with the Atlanta as a general purpose captain trainer is it suffers a bit more than the others if you don't have skills setup specific to it (or cruisers in general) or don't have the doubloons to respec on the transfer and back, so Arizona may be the friendlier all-purpose trainer even though it sits at T6. I don't really play DD so I'll leave other people to suggest those, but the only one that's available and worth having right now is the Sims from the USN.

e: Belfast has smoke too, but that's pretty much in line with that whole line. Kutuzov stands out as the only USSR cruiser with smoke but the skills that go with it apply to the others too.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

gwrtheyrn posted:

Scharnhorst or Tirpitz, Atago, Kutuzov, Belfast, and.. Hard choice for USN, since their premiums are either not great or at bad tiers. Probably Arizona or Saipan, which remains op as gently caress but suffers from poor CV rewards.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Missouri's a pretty good USN trainer :v:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Everyone calm down. I'm not frothing at the mouth yelling racist.

Lots of people use words in what they think are benign ways because they don't understand the history of certain words. For example, "Mongloid" means dumbass because it was a racial category assigned to people from certain parts of the world, which ascribed subhuman characteristics to people. This in turn was used as part of a colonial apparatus of exploitation and oppression.

I'm sure Flamu doesn't realize this. Fair enough; however, I think it's fair of me to point out that the word doesn't just mean dumbass.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
RIP 4skin. You were too good for this world.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

RIP 4skin. You were too good for this world.

What they took your clan tag?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Decorus posted:

Belfast is an amazing boat as well, in case you want a British crew trainer.

It's not perfect, since you really want IFHE for the Belfast, which doesn't work so well with other UK CAs.

Had one of those games where I had the highest XP across both teams but still lost. Sometimes you can only carry so much. Shame XP and credits are low without premium time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Applied to 4SKIN as Airborne_Commissar

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

no bones about it posted:

What they took your clan tag?

Shows as renamed. Seems like it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Well, I can't say I'm terribly surprised!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That lasted three days before we got renamed.. I think we broke a record. Next name up is WUTNG. There were a bunch on names on the Discord in botes_challenge. Jump in there and vote for something else while I wait for the drooling idiots from WG to contact me about it.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
[4SKIN] is [RNM56] now.
rest in peace best clan o7o7o7o7o7o7o7

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Huh. When I applied moments ago it was [4SKEN], but maybe that's something different.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

mik posted:

It's not perfect, since you really want IFHE for the Belfast, which doesn't work so well with other UK CAs.

This is true. At least the skills of a trainee captain work quite well on the Belfast, even if they aren't perfect for her. Anyway, the ability to bully DDs with smoke+sonar+radar is really one of the funniest things in this game. :)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Huh. When I applied moments ago it was [4SKEN], but maybe that's something different.

Nope. That's not goons. We're now RMN56

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Not an especially good year for Hungary.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Decorus posted:

I've almost unlocked Fiji, and I have only high praise for the Leander. Both Caledon and Emerald were really fun boats in their own ways, but the Leander blows them both out of the water. Good torps, terrifying guns against anything that's broadsiding you and both speed and agility to run when your smoke isn't available. Danae is a shitpile though, since it lacks smoke and is far too easily detected.

Sometimes you explode from a frontal triple citadel, but I can live with that in return for the ability to lurk around some annoying spot of the map and abuse the clown parade on the enemy team.

The Fiji is basically the Leander that trades one torpedo per launcher for one extra gun per turret, which turns it into a loving murder machine. Play the smoke right and you can and will make battleships run away.

I find that NC's, German tier 6-8 and UK Battleships tend to be the easiest to poo poo on in this way. Consistent 3-5k damage salvos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
sooo.. this week's mission is a slap in the face. Get +25% xp bonus for being in the top 5 in your team by xp with a carrier. It is like wargaming isn't aware that breaking out of the middle is pretty loving difficult with the penalties involved. Or rather, it appears that this is more of a consolation prize for you being the only person not a drooling idiot on the losing team.