Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I had about 50 mechanoids littering my map from poison ship attacks.

I didn't shut them down and left them out there to twitch, realized last night you can disassemble them for components. :shepface:

And plasteel! :v: If you're using EPOE you might have a couple bionic arms worth of stuff out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Is beer the best trade good?

I've tried textiles, smokeleaf, and art. To get the most out of textiles you need to use your best crafter and there's often something better for him to do, even if it's just replacing the clothes of your other colonists. Smokeleaf is unskilled labor but requires slow and tedious processing. Art at least is a separate skill that is only good for art and high quality pieces can sell for a lot, but only one kind of trader accepts it.

Hops only occupy a grower and a cook for very little time and then sit there cooking in batches of 25. They need barrels and a temperature controlled room, but once that's out of the way they give a massive return. I haven't tried the other drugs because they need to be researched, are they worth it?

I also remember selling a subpar bed for a pretty good amount of money. Is the secret-best trade good uninstalled furniture? Once my master constructor is done putting up all the basic stuff, could they just be building beds or chairs or something for sale?

Also, is there a way I can skill restrict smelting? Every other job gives an option to restrict by skill levels but I have to turn off smelting for my best crafter or he'll spend all his time on that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dejawesp posted:

Okay my colony is currently doing pretty okay which is a sure sign that everything is about to go tits up. How do I prepare for it. I have a rifle and a pistol and a pacifist doctor.

At that point my priority would be to get some more people. I'd build a couple prison cells to be ready for captures, and try to get at least a couple gun turrets up, because one rifle and one pistol isn't going to fend off much.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Also, is there a way I can skill restrict smelting? Every other job gives an option to restrict by skill levels but I have to turn off smelting for my best crafter or he'll spend all his time on that.

Go to the bill in the smelter and say only low skill level crafters can do this bill (so if your best crafter is level 12 or whatever, say only crafters with a skill from 0-11 can do this).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I had about 50 mechanoids littering my map from poison ship attacks.

I didn't shut them down and left them out there to twitch, realized last night you can disassemble them for components. :shepface:

Make sure to add a surgery bill to the scythers to remove their arms, and get your medical guys to do it (even though it's classed as a repair job :downs:). Those arms are worth 2000 silver a piece.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Mzbundifund posted:

Go to the bill in the smelter and say only low skill level crafters can do this bill (so if your best crafter is level 12 or whatever, say only crafters with a skill from 0-11 can do this).

I skill restrict lots of things, but smelting has a special bill and I'm not seeing that option for this job.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

My first rimworld casualty was my husky. She died of a heart attack on day two. Bruh.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I skill restrict lots of things, but smelting has a special bill and I'm not seeing that option for this job.
You should be able to do it on the smelter itself, not on the bill. Not perfect, but workable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Never, ever, EVER underestimate how much you will benefit from making high quality beds for all your pawns. I cannot stress that enough. High enough quality beds start to reduce the amount of time it takes to get to max rest bar every night, which is loving HUGE. You're gaining more hours per day for every pawn to do anything and everything. They also modify immunity gain during diseases which can be life-or-death depending on medical skill and available materials. Long term it's kinda meh cause you're going to end up with a sterile hospital and want high quality hospital beds but that's fairly mid to late game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Never, ever, EVER underestimate how much you will benefit from making high quality beds for all your pawns. I cannot stress that enough. High enough quality beds start to reduce the amount of time it takes to get to max rest bar every night, which is loving HUGE. You're gaining more hours per day for every pawn to do anything and everything. They also modify immunity gain during diseases which can be life-or-death depending on medical skill and available materials. Long term it's kinda meh cause you're going to end up with a sterile hospital and want high quality hospital beds but that's fairly mid to late game.

100% this. A high construction colonist is on my shortlist when embarking. Also, use this mod to save your sanity - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754637870&searchtext=

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Huh, guess I'll build 30 beds until I get masterwork and sell the rest. Do Royal beds work better or is that just appearance that can be maxed with a wood statue or two?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Oh sorry I forgot that that bill was one of the few that's unrestrictable for some reason. In that case I'd restrict your best crafter to an area that doesn't include the smelter.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Dejawesp posted:

Praise the lord a ship exploded in the atmosphere and 110 bloody rabbit chunks rained down from the sky. We will eat like kings tonight.

I got this but with Labrador Retriever Meat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Huh, guess I'll build 30 beds until I get masterwork and sell the rest. Do Royal beds work better or is that just appearance that can be maxed with a wood statue or two?

Royal beds do give a comfort bonus, but require gold.

Only *hospital* beds give a healing rate bonus for higher quality.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Is there an easy way to make your pawns equip the best available armor in the stockpile automatically or do I have to compare every item to all the other items?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

My top farmer caught minor plague and the doctor who treated him then caught extreme plague and died a few seconds later.

My super passionate pacifist/doctor/crafter/cook.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I also remember selling a subpar bed for a pretty good amount of money. Is the secret-best trade good uninstalled furniture? Once my master constructor is done putting up all the basic stuff, could they just be building beds or chairs or something for sale?

Constructing furniture is by far the most pawn-time efficient method for maximizing the sale value of raw materials, and is also usually the easiest option for a high skill pawn (since you get a ton of construction experience just building your base normally). You need 10 skill construction just to maintain the value of the materials. At 20 skill, your average furniture will sell for 185% of what the raw materials will sell for.

Beer is a fairly weak trade item, given the large amount of steel and space needed to make it. I haven't done any detailed math on it, but I think you'd be better off just farming vegetables and selling the raw food.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dejawesp posted:

Is there an easy way to make your pawns equip the best available armor in the stockpile automatically or do I have to compare every item to all the other items?

If you just leave pawns be, they'll automatically equip the best armor (with some minimum threshold of "better" before they'll switch). If you've previously forced them to wear something, go to the Assign tab and click the 'clear forced' button.

Dejawesp posted:

My top farmer caught minor plague and the doctor who treated him then caught extreme plague and died a few seconds later.

My super passionate pacifist/doctor/crafter/cook.

Everyone catches the plague at 0%, one day later it is revealed at 40%, and then if untreated it will progress to 100% over the next day and a half. Your doctor didn't catch "extreme" plague, he had regular plague and you ignored treating it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I got this but with Labrador Retriever Meat.

You monster!

Hah

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Okay I think I can safely call this colony doomed.

The spot I picked was this one:

The idea being that I would build a wall against the mainland and so be able to defend against raiders. Sadly raiders showed up in all four or even five directions.

This is the colony.

I would say that the major turning point was then Onesans friend and sister arrived by pod. I missed this event all together and the sister died of her injuries. This gave Onesan the "dead sister" and "dead friend" mood penalty that neither she nor the colony ever recovered from.

She lashed out by shooting the colony doctor on three different occasions, repeatedly with a rifle. Each time he had to be carried to bed and almost died. She also attacked random colony members with her bare fists. This just completely tanked the mood of the colony and breakdowns lead to violent actions and more breakdowns. Ironically Grace tried to hit on Jammer several times and was rejected. These rejections stacked into a mood penalty that was even worse than a dead sister.

But things turned around and Jammer accepted Grace and they became lovers. Shortly after Grace took a bullet in the lung while fending off raiders. She was bed ridden, caught and infection and later went insane from fever and burned herself inside her own room (that's how she died) Jammer had to put the fire out.

Jammer was my most reliable colonist but he has since stopped eating. His mood is crashing and I don't think he's going to live for very long.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 23, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Good breakdown,

Something I noticed about your colony that I build right away is a games room and proper dining room.

These can be the make or break rooms in your colony. I always put the games room beside the dining room and the dining room beside the kitchen in central location.

You put down tile floor but you should have been using that pawns construction skill to make bigger rooms/adjoining rooms.

I only floor the games room and the dining first and then slowly expand from there.

The Horseshoe pin is god... WORSHIP THE HORSESHOE PIN!!!!

Games room:
Put a chess board and two stools
Put a horseshoe pin with space in a direction to throw
Put a billards table later

Dining room:
Table and chairs.

Later on, add art to make it EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 23, 2017

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

This is the colony.

Few things of note to try and prevent mental breaks. Firstly you should put down a horseshoe pole from the Joy menu. It's only 15 wood and is a great way to increase joy AND gets colonists socializing since several can use one at once. The second is all the dirt and blood. Dunno how much of it is post-mental break, but all that blood really lowers the beauty, which leads to that whopping -15 mood penalty. Lastly, it looks like Grace and Jammer were lovers but there's no double bed, which means no lovin'. That means a mood penalty, whereas giving them a double bed means they can get it on which is a mood buff, which is always good.

Also, I wouldn't use fueled generators on arid maps unless you plant a large tree grove. Wood isn't that easy to come by on those maps so you'll need to provide the supply yourself.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
In general, that's an absurdly large amount of power you've got going there. I count a whole 1225 watts of power consumption there at peak load. Any two of those power generators and a single battery would be more than sufficient.

You've also planted way more food than you need and created a needless hauling burden by placing fields further away from your base than they need to be.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Something I noticed about your colony that I build right away is a games room and proper dining room.

These can be the make or break rooms in your colony. I always put the games room beside the dining room and the dining room beside the kitchen in central location.

In A16, there's no reason to make these separate rooms.

edit: Also, infections are bugged right now. A wound tended in a non-sterile room will never get infected in A16, so grace getting an infection means no one tended her. Even tending without medicine by a 0 skill doctor has substantial benefits, so always tend your pawns.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 23, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dejawesp posted:

The idea being that I would build a wall against the mainland and so be able to defend against raiders. Sadly raiders showed up in all four or even five directions.

Other than temperature and the hills/not hills aspects, the world map terrain has no actual tactical benefits. Starting on a sea tile is nice if you have fish industry installed, but otherwise the mud and whatnot actually make the water side of a base even less safe since you can't wall it off entirely

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Azhais posted:

Other than temperature and the hills/not hills aspects, the world map terrain has no actual tactical benefits. Starting on a sea tile is nice if you have fish industry installed, but otherwise the mud and whatnot actually make the water side of a base even less safe since you can't wall it off entirely

How is this mod, by the way? Seems silly that he hasn't implemented fishing yet, considering it is/was a huge method of humanity feeding itself since... forever.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Zhentar posted:

You've also planted way more food than you need and created a needless hauling burden by placing fields further away from your base than they need to be.

What's 'enough'? I tried planting a small field, so people were starving, so I went way overboard and planted a ton. I'm not sure how much food (and of what type) is the best to be feeding people. In general though, I make it all into simple meals.

e: not my screenshot, but i do have a lot planted

HarmB fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 24, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Somewhere inbetween what you built when they were starving and what you have in your screenshot. :v:

There are some discussions if you Google around, but I think the gist of what Zhentar is saying is that if you make your farms too large you are actually wasting time due to crops not being harvested in a timely fashion or due to people doing way more hauling than they need. The closer you put your stockpile and to the plots, the better.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That's a hard thing to judge. I feel like I always end up planting too much. It's so easy when planting, but then the harvest comes and they have to pick it, haul it, then replant and it takes so much longer.

It's all worth it though when you have a pro grower filling up fields at lightspeed while the dogs haul your space weed and space coke to your space sweatshops.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Internet Explorer posted:

How is this mod, by the way? Seems silly that he hasn't implemented fishing yet, considering it is/was a huge method of humanity feeding itself since... forever.

It's vaguely overpowered when you get right down to it. You build a pier that slowly builds up fish over time, and someone will eventually go and spend a few seconds collecting one fish. The fish all break down to meat and leather (like eelskin).

It's not a super fast supply of meat, and there's like 10 different kind of fish so you end up with a million little stacks of leather, but with even a basic farm going you have never ending fine meals with no animal overhead and all the leather you'll need to keep your colonists in the finest eelskin pants

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It doesn't super hurt to overplant so long as your grower isn't wasting too much time doing it. You can always not harvest the excess or sell it if a trader comes along.

As a rule a colonist or large dog needs 1 unit of nutrition per day and basic cooked food I think just about doubles the nutrition of the raw ingredients.

So you need 10 units of most raw foodstuffs cooked per colonist per day. More if they get sick with parasites, more if they end up eating the raw ingredients for any reason, more if they end up starving because that makes you burn food faster during recovery, more if they get food poisoning or any disease which causes vomiting because that directly reduces your hunger bar.

So I would suggest no less than 15 units of raw food per colonist per day is your target.

How much that is in field space depends on how long your growing period is, what you're growing, where you're growing it, how much light it gets, whether you have a blight or cold/hot snap, whether it gets eaten by animals, and how skilled your harvesters are.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 24, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I live for overplanting. My people shall have the finest assortment of fruit smoothies

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Invited a trade caravan, that night a heat wave started. Only the caravan master brought a duster so shortly after eating dinner a guard dropped dead. Feels good to turn around and trade their clothes for an extra few components to feel less bad about building extra air conditioning.

Food poisoning is a viscous vicious cycle when you're low on man power to get continuous janitorial coverage. My dedicated cleaner's a night owl so I get the feeling any meals made by the evening before she wakes up get the dirty malus which causes food poisoning which causes the cook to vomit in the kitchen which causes...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Having a bunch of separate buildings is not the greatest when a pack of boomrat manhunters show up. I was SO close to finishing a two-thick steel wall around my compound when they showed up, broke into a room, and basically exploded my colony.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I never liked steel walls. Steel is a lot more limited than stone, and for reasons that confuse the gently caress out of me steel walls are not immune to fire.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Tynan knows, jet fuel can melt steel beams

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there any way to tell my colonists not to eat raw stuff and how do I get plasteel?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there any way to tell my colonists not to eat raw stuff and how do I get plasteel?

No, they'll eat whatever they can get. Forbidding the food is the only way, or putting it in an area they can't access due to zones.

As for plasteel it's rarely mineable on the map, generally you need to trade for it, and you can get some disassembling mechanoids.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Also it needs to be noted that they will only eat Raw food if there are no meals available.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rougey posted:

Also it needs to be noted that they will only eat Raw food if there are no meals available.

bad mood inducing raw food is also the lowest on the priority list, they'll go after berries first if that's an option before going for some boomalope tartar

Azhais fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 24, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I never liked steel walls. Steel is a lot more limited than stone, and for reasons that confuse the gently caress out of me steel walls are not immune to fire.

It got buffed a fair bit in A16 I think, it's substantially stronger than stone now and I think it might burn slower, either way the health buff makes it last a long time on fire combined with its low flammability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the hp of walls is mostly academic