Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i will never get over Sylvania Castle Zone's name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... why? It's a pretty generic "ruritania" name.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

... why? It's a pretty generic "ruritania" name.

Verse the order of the first two words.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ohhhhh. Hahahaha

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_OeacYfDs

Sonic music from a hack I've never heard of.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hoping everyone is finishing off their workday red and strong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRo1oNZg_8

Speaking of which, what are everyone's favorite Sonic hacks? I just played through "Sonic 3 Complete." I also really enjoyed "An Ordinary Sonic ROM Hack" and "Sonic 2 XL." I'll be sure to check out the one Heran Bago posted above, too. Are there any other notable ones which add welcome polish and ideas to the originals?

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

azurite posted:

Speaking of which, what are everyone's favorite Sonic hacks? I just played through "Sonic 3 Complete." I also really enjoyed "An Ordinary Sonic ROM Hack" and "Sonic 2 XL." I'll be sure to check out the one Heran Bago posted above, too. Are there any other notable ones which add welcome polish and ideas to the originals?

Not so much a hack as it is a fangame, but I remember Sonic Before The Sequel being a fun and amusing game. You could probably do worse than it if you're looking for something free to waste time on.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

azurite posted:

Hoping everyone is finishing off their workday red and strong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRo1oNZg_8

An Ordinary Sonic ROM Hack is my favorite. I had one of my friends play it without telling them what it was.:laugh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lynkericious posted:

Not so much a hack as it is a fangame, but I remember Sonic Before The Sequel being a fun and amusing game. You could probably do worse than it if you're looking for something free to waste time on.

The music is good but BtS is not

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I kinda liked AtS but it was a bit sketchy in parts.

The hack I've liked the most is the HUD disable mod for Sonic 1, I wish that was available for all the sonics.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

azurite posted:

Sonic Classic Heroes is very good. The primary gimmick is that you control three characters and can switch between them, but it also combines Sonic 1 and 2 into one game and adds in the Chaotix as they existed in Knuckles Chaotix. Also also it's super configurable, you could use it to just play as Charmy through Sonic 1 or whatever.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I just tried that out. It was surprisingly fun to play two-player in Chaotix mode (bound together). Come to think of it, I'd love if someone hacked/ported Chaotix back to Genesis so I'd never have to plug in my 32X again.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks to this thread I always think of "knock knock open up the door it's Knuckles" when I hear that DMX song.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

azurite posted:

Knuckles, Knuckles & Knuckles is also available on Steam!

There are so many good ones! I'm most impressed when they go all out with new artwork, levels, enemies, bosses, music, etc. My all-time favorite might be Sonic 1 Brother Trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOud3cnU908

Other notables are The S Factor: Sonia and Silver, Mobius Evolution, Sonic 1 CD edition, Pantufa the Cat, Socket the Hedgeduck, there are so many and things have been impressive in recent years.

In last year's Sonic hacking contest there were great hacks including a short one I can't find again with a visually amazing boss, Sonic Back 2 The Future with CD-style time travel to go between 16-bit and 8-bit versions of levels, Sonic 1 Warped World, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles: Chaotix Edition which does what it says on the box. There are many more I have not tried.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP9dkwr6d_Y

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 27, 2017

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
For all the poo poo people give modern Sonic boost+homing playstyle, there sure are a lot of hacks that use it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SupSuper posted:

For all the poo poo people give modern Sonic boost+homing playstyle, there sure are a lot of hacks that use it.

Sucks doesn't it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This is a pro click if you wanna know a little more about sonic hackz

https://youtu.be/omKGDC4JaMU

(Sorry, on mobile; idr how to embed manually)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Most 3D fangames have awful physics and terrible design and have to use high speed and homing attacks to compensate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Most 3D fangames have awful physics and terrible design and have to use high speed and homing attacks to compensate.

So they fit the spirit of the originals perfectly!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SupSuper posted:

Modern Sonic best Sonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

So they fit the spirit of the originals perfectly!

To be fair, jumping on enemies in 3D is kind of awkward so the homing attack is pretty much necessary to keep the flow going. It has no business being in a 2D game though.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Everybody who thinks the homing attack in 2D is a good idea should just play Sonic 4 and see how they like it.

The drop dash from Mania looks far more sensible (though not great enough that I can accept it as a replacement for S3K's superb insta-shield).

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Larryb posted:

To be fair, jumping on enemies in 3D is kind of awkward so the homing attack is pretty much necessary to keep the flow going. It has no business being in a 2D game though.

Gonna print out this post and mail it to Dimps

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sue posted:

Everybody who thinks the homing attack in 2D is a good idea should just play Sonic 4 and see how they like it.
I hate Sonic 4 very much

I just want to say that

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sue posted:

The drop dash from Mania looks far more sensible (though not great enough that I can accept it as a replacement for S3K's superb insta-shield).

Can we talk about how much worse the insta-shield in Advance is purely because you can't bounce off things with it?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Spiderdrake posted:

I hate Sonic 4 very much

I just want to say that

Is there anyone who doesn't? Honest question. Everyone I've talked to says that game is dogshit and having bought it for myself long, long ago I happen to heartily agree.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The homing attack could work in the 2D games if it kept your forward momentum when you hit the enemies, so you bounce off exactly the same as when you jump on them, making it an easier way of hitting items and enemies with a little more precision to keep the pace up as you play.

Of course Dimps are gonna Dimps, so the homing attack just slams you to a halt instead, and even if they did it as above they'd forget to restrict the physics and have Sonic blast into the stratosphere at the speed of light.

Edit: Episode 2 has some good ideas and was fun to at least play through once, but good christ is Episode 1 bad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Episode 2 is perfectly enjoyable in my opinion.

Episode Metal was short but I really enjoyed it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey all. What sonic games are you guys playing this weekend? Me? Not sonic 4!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The homing attack could work in the 2D games if it kept your forward momentum when you hit the enemies, so you bounce off exactly the same as when you jump on them, making it an easier way of hitting items and enemies with a little more precision to keep the pace up as you play.

Of course Dimps are gonna Dimps, so the homing attack just slams you to a halt instead, and even if they did it as above they'd forget to restrict the physics and have Sonic blast into the stratosphere at the speed of light.

Edit: Episode 2 has some good ideas and was fun to at least play through once, but good christ is Episode 1 bad.

There's a questionably finished (iirc?) hack called Sonic Megamix that has a homing attack just like that and it's really fun to play with! Shame Dimps never got the memo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

Probably 3 and/or 3K

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

the same games i play every weekend: the perfect chaos and finalhazard boss fights as i shout the lyrics with the music

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

The music is good but BtS is not

What's wrong with it

I would say it's firmly better than the worse official 2D sonic games. Not like amazing but it's free and has some fun moments to it, enough to justify spending two hours completing it imo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I have run out of Sonic games to play on PC.

I've been thinking of 100%ing CD though.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Is there anyone who doesn't? Honest question. Everyone I've talked to says that game is dogshit and having bought it for myself long, long ago I happen to heartily agree.
I posted a steam review calling it the singular greatest embarrassment in the history of Sega and I got some rude comments so someone must like it.

Four is just so frustrating. It's ugly, it's not classic Sonic, it doesn't make sense for fans of either iteration of Sonic. I love Modern sonic in Generations, and it sucks at that. I love S3&K. It also sucks at that. What the gently caress. Yelling, etc.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Play some Klik & Play fan games.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sue posted:

Well, it's a bit of a sonic take on the ground pound, which got super popular in platformers after it was invented for a drat good reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Spiderdrake posted:

I have run out of Sonic games to play on PC.

Emulate and 100% Shadow the Hedgehog, with all routes. That'll take about a year.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Well, it's a bit of a sonic take on the ground pound, which got super popular in platformers after it was invented for a drat good reason.

I don't think it is, despite the name there doesn't look to be much of a drop component to it, it's just a burst of speed when you land. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

I don't think it is, despite the name there doesn't look to be much of a drop component to it, it's just a burst of speed when you land. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Oh yeah never mind then.

I wasn't paying that much attention to the drop dash to be honest, I though it was slam down then dash forward for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thanks for the suggestions! Really blown away by these. The fact that all of the ones I tried work on a real Genesis is great too.