Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Timby posted:

It's not like WWE should be held as an example of a model company (independent contractors lol) and they do it solely as a PR move, but to their credit they do pay the full cost of inpatient or outpatient treatment for any current or former talent who needs help, no questions asked. I'm surprised the major North American sports leagues haven't followed that example.

Yeah, they're pretty trashy but that's definitely a great and necessary policy.

In other confirmed news: Forsythe to the Dodgers, De Leon to the Rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Senf posted:

Yeah, they're pretty trashy but that's definitely a great and necessary policy.

In other confirmed news: Forsythe to the Dodgers, De Leon to the Rays.

And the Twins are standing there trying to figure out what went wrong :lol:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
That...feels like a bigger overpay than what was going on with Dozier

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

Good point. They could use another quality starter/longman to pick up the slack on days Duffy is starting but isn't on.

I get the joke you're making but this is legitimately not a bad idea if he hasn't actually figured things out, because when Duffy isn't good he will waste pitches like no one's business. He doesn't give up a ton of runs so you obviously have to take him out, but you look up after 4 innings and see he's thrown 100+ pitches.

The hope is he's matured out of that but....let's just say I'm still worried about him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

And yet, so many angry fans in the Rays' mentions, this is amazing.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

6 years of De Leon for 2 years of Forsythe seems pretty loving good, yeah. Sports fans are weird.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Yeah it certainly feels like an overpay, but TINSTAAPP and all I guess

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Forsythe is actually a free agent after this year.

This smells like Friedman valuing his own dude way too highly from finding him during his tenure in Tampa.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Forsythe is actually a free agent after this year.

This smells like Friedman valuing his own dude way too highly from finding him during his tenure in Tampa.
He has a team option for $8M in 2018 so unless he suffers catastrophic injury or completely loses his ability to hit and field at the major league level, he's not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So uh, is there something I'm missing? Because the stats tell me this is a huge overpay for what is essentially a body to put at 2B. A .264/.333/.444 slash line with a whopping 1 DRS in 2016 does not seem worth six years of a future ace.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

So uh, is there something I'm missing? Because the stats tell me this is a huge overpay for what is essentially a body to put at 2B. A .264/.333/.444 slash line with a whopping 1 DRS in 2016 does not seem worth six years of a future ace.

Nobody considered De Leon a future ace except Dodger fans. He wasn't even enough to make the Twins send Dozier even with another good prospect and possibly a lesser prospect offered.

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

tadashi posted:

Nobody considered De Leon a future ace except Dodger fans. He wasn't even enough to make the Twins send Dozier even with another good prospect and possibly a lesser prospect offered.

What Dodger fans considered him a future ace?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Ace or not he is a top 20 pitching prospect. Especially puzzling because there were plenty of ok 2nd basemen available for nothing.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Lmao dodgers

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I missed the team option since I was browsing on mobile at work.

But still...they're ending up paying (essentially) the same salary, for a lesser player, while still trading the centerpiece of the other deal, in order to hold on to a lesser regarded prospect who's further from contributing to the ML club? What in the world is the logic?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

But still...they're ending up paying (essentially) the same salary, for a lesser player, while still trading the centerpiece of the other deal, in order to hold on to a lesser regarded prospect who's further from contributing to the ML club? What in the world is the logic?

Apparently the Twins wanted Alvarez and two more prospects with DeLeon for Dozier, although who really knows about any of those trade rumors.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The Twins wanted a prospect better than JDL plus JDL.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hand Row posted:

The Twins wanted a prospect better than JDL plus JDL.

Dozier is a billion times better

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I guess I haven't paid close enough attention since the NLCS, I didn't realize Alvarez and Bellinger had moved past JDL in the prospect rankings.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Twins should keep Dozier so people have a reason to watch them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I guess I haven't paid close enough attention since the NLCS, I didn't realize Alvarez and Bellinger had moved past JDL in the prospect rankings.

Bawfuls told you as much earlier today!

bawfuls posted:

only one of these two players is a quickly depreciating asset

:haw:

This was very strange trade to find out about. I'm perfectly ok with keeping Dozier since I like him a lot :)

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neodoomium posted:

What the gently caress did the Tigers even do this offseason

They didn't firesale and they didn't get any better

They tried to get under the salary cap and failed miserably, misjudging the market for power outfield bats, and now they're paying dearly for it because they don't have a starting center fielder and their best chance of shedding payroll, getting younger, and maybe getting someone who could start in center just went away with the Dodgers trading for a second baseman.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

tadashi posted:

The scouting reports say he is likely a #3 starter, but those strikeout numbers in the minors make you wonder if he has more upside.

Here's what Baseball America has to say

quote:

In acquiring Jose De Leon, the Rays are getting a pitcher with a strong track record of missing bats but who comes with question marks on his durability. De Leon was a terrific late-round find by the Dodgers, who drafted De Leon in the 24th round in 2013. His physical conditioning improved after he signed, his stuff improved and so did his stock during the 2014 season, quickly becoming one of the Dodgers’ best pitching prospects. His fastball sits at 89-94 mph and touches 96, with his velocity mostly resting in the lower end of that range early in the season. He doesn’t overpower hitters with his fastball, but the pitch has late life and he hides the ball well in his delivery, so the ball jumps on hitters faster than they expect, leading to empty swings in the strike zone. De Leon’s out pitch is his changeup, a 60 on the 20-80 scale with good separation off his fastball. He’s able to get swing-and-miss on his changeup against both lefties and righties. De Leon’s slider is an average pitch, one some scouts would like to see him use more. De Leon missed a ton of bats in the minors, but he has to show he can handle a starter’s full season workload. In 2016, De Leon’s velocity was down in spring training, so the Dodgers held him back to ramp him up. He threw five scoreless innings on May 3 for Triple-A Oklahoma City, but he felt shoulder tightness and missed another month. When he returned, he overmatched Pacific Coast League hitters, then got called up to Los Angeles. He only threw 103 innings in 2016, one year after his stuff fizzled at the end of a career-high 115 innings in 2015, with a delivery that will always require some maintenance. If De Leon can maintain the stuff he showed at the end of 2016 over a full season, he can be a mid-rotation starter, possibly as soon as this year.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I can't help but think that JDL being pushed so hard as the Dozier centerpiece screwed with his perceived value. Shades of what happened with Washington's failed Sale package. Makes it that much easier to trade a guy if he's been very obviously written out of team plans for the past two months.

As for Forsythe, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that we were going to a get a proven right-handed bat to fill the hole at second base, and (beyond Dozier) he made the most sense. Kinsler would've required an extension and thus wasn't going to happen. Profar and Solarte would've cost more than Forsythe. I truthfully don't know much about Cesar Hernandez. Beyond them, you're left with like...Kolten Wong, Chase Utley, Josh Harrison, Brandon Phillips, Enrique Hernandez (in-house) etc as possible replacements...no thanks.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Yeah, he has dropped off in esteem. I don't think most people see him as more than a potential #3 guy with a #2 ceiling. Alvarez and Bellinger are the ones to keep, especially with A-Gon possibly about to fall off a cliff. However, it is odd that JDL + some combination of prospects aside from those two weren't enough to get Dozier. I guess the FO is serious about holding onto the Brock Stewarts and Walker Buehlers of the organization.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

He's optimistically a 3-win player on an affordable short term deal.

JDL's upside is James Shields. So, a good #2 but not a ~real ace~ in the traditional sense. He will likely always have at least a bit of a home run problem because of his arsenal.

Vernacular posted:

However, it is odd that JDL + some combination of prospects aside from those two weren't enough to get Dozier. I guess the FO is serious about holding onto the Brock Stewarts and Walker Buehlers of the organization.
It was reported that Brock was one of the prospects they refused to include in a Dozier deal, which did surprise me as well.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 24, 2017

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

69 days til Opening Day

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

He's optimistically a 3-win player on an affordable short term deal.

JDL's upside is James Shields. So, a good #2 but not a ~real ace~ in the traditional sense. He will likely always have at least a bit of a home run problem because of his arsenal.

Yeah fair enough, I last read his scouting report when he was first called up and misremembered how high they were/weren't on him. This is probably a good deal for the Dodgers even if Forsythe isn't going to be putting up AS numbers at 2B.

FWIW though he still isn't a magic bullet to solve the Dodgers inability to hit lefties. He put up a marginally better average against LHP than RHP (.270 vs .263) but he actually had a worse OBP vs LHP (.315 vs .329) and smacked 16 of his 20 HR's off of RHP. :v:

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

The Berzerker posted:

69 days til Opening Day

Nice

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Berzerker posted:

69 days til Opening Day

nice

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/45PedroMartinez/status/823748571258322944

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

(Yordano was still alive after the crash and someone robbed him instead of helping him). gently caress

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This loving world.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Spoeank posted:

(Yordano was still alive after the crash and someone robbed him instead of helping him). gently caress

jesus christ what the gently caress is wrong with the DR :psyduck:

Direct Translation: "Now it's more painful to know that Yordano was still alive after the accident and instead of someone helping him, they robbed him and left him to die."

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Brett Anderson to the Cubs pending a physical, 1 year 3.5 million if he passes the physical with incentives that can boost the contract to 10 million.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Apparently his World Series Ring was one of the things that was robbed.

What the gently caress, man

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mike Stanley is the only player to drive in 69 runs and walk 69 times in a season.

Cecilio Guante is the only player to pitch 69 innings and strike out 69 in a season.

(thank you BB-R)

e: well now my humorous 69 post is sort of out of place

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

jesus loving christ

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

:catstare: What the gently caress.

CubsWoo posted:

Brett Anderson to the Cubs pending a physical, 1 year 3.5 million if he passes the physical with incentives that can boost the contract to 10 million.

A solid add at a reasonable price even if he isn't healthy the whole season. The Cubs SP depth options at this point are Zastryzny followed by question marks so having another fallback option is nice.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoeank posted:

Oh my god this is one of the worst things I've read in a long time. gently caress.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Spoeank posted:

JFC, WHAT IN THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Awful...

• Locked thread