Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Ditto Hahn-Kedar, which is the Alliance's main equipment supplier and indeed your default guns and armor in every game in the series are Hahn-Kedar products.

DarkHorse posted:

If I remember right, Elkoss Combine stuff is usually cheap but mediocre stuff, as would be expected from mass-produced crap.

Cythereal posted:

There are. One of the armor manufacturers, for example, is fluffed as mainly making hazardous environment armor. Lo and behold, on planets with Hazards (the ticking timer outside the Mako), they ignore Level 1 Hazard and treat Level 2 and 3 Hazard worlds as one step lower.

This is mostly ME1 stuff? It's been a while since I played that.

But yeah, this stuff is in the game, but the identity of these manufacturers aren't really obvious. Sorry to bring up the Borderlands 2 reference again, but each manufacturer had a distinct brand identity, which doesn't exist for the ME manufacturers. An Elkoss Combine weapon looks the same as a Hahn-Kedar weapon (at least in ME1 where I had a lovely computer and every weapon looked same-y).

I admit that in ME3 I wasn't paying that much attention to the manufacturers, even though the different weapons all had very distinct appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

quote:

Saitama-Sensei ‏@senseisaitama1p
In ME:A on PC, can we adjust the resolution scale from 1%-200%? Dragon Age Inquisition only went up to 1%-100%.

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
The range MEA currently supports is 25%-200%, though we're still tinkering, so might allow lower than 25% if folks want it.
What is resolution scale? They're not talking about the UI size, are they?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drifter posted:

What is resolution scale? They're not talking about the UI size, are they?
It's what the game renders at internally. It lets you improve performance or quality without changing the output resolution away from the native res of the screen.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the look of the bright yellow and white armor in ME1. I think that was the hazardous resistance stuff?

Mostly relied on a biotic barrier anyway.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's what the game renders at internally. It lets you improve performance or quality without changing the output resolution away from the native res of the screen.

so if I'm playing a game at 1440p and double its internal res, wouldn't I just get better performance by keeping it at 1440p and using some type of AA?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Drifter posted:

so if I'm playing a game at 1440p and double its internal res, wouldn't I just get better performance by keeping it at 1440p and using some type of AA?

It is a form of AA, just a particularly "stupid", brute-force one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It is a form of AA, just a particularly "stupid", brute-force one.

So what's the actual reason to have it then? For in game photographs/screenshots?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Drifter posted:

So what's the actual reason to have it then? For in game photographs/screenshots?
Image quality in general, assuming you've got the graphics hardware to handle it.

If you've got underperforming hardware you can use it to internally render at a lower res and then upscale, without having to worry about how the UI will look or the native res of the screen. Consoles do this a lot; they render at 900p (or whatever) and then scale up to 1080p.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

If you have graphical oomph to burn it will look slightly better.

Personally I doubt a game also getting released on consoles will be "OMG screenshot" material outside of meme grade facial animations and rear end shots but you never know.

My favorite screenshot of ME2 for the longest time was in the endgame when Shepard gets a call from Illusive Man mid "rig collector base to blow", looking annoyed at the interruption. Think I left it on an old system I haven't turned on in years and have slowly been cannibalizing cables and screws from though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ME2/3 still look really great and run well even on piece of poo poo hardware. ME2 in particular is impressive for holding up graphically even as other games from 2010 start to show their age.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Personally I doubt a game also getting released on consoles will be "OMG screenshot" material outside of meme grade facial animations and rear end shots but you never know.
I don't know, the Frostbite engine can look really pretty at times.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

exquisite tea posted:

ME2/3 still look really great and run well even on piece of poo poo hardware. ME2 in particular is impressive for holding up graphically even as other games from 2010 start to show their age.

ME2, yes, but ME3 suffers from a horrendously ugly colour palette and bad texture work which makes the models look like mishmashed jumbles.
And the lighting in both games is just weak or overexposed. Omega looks like someone vomited a doritos filter over everything.
And every game in the series has some of the most laughably bad fire effects in any big budget game ever. Not that many games have good fire or explosions anyways.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I really disagree with you there, I think the lightning is one of the strongest aspects to ME2 and what makes the game continue to look really good by helping to mask the low-res textures of UE3.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maleshep, at least, seems to have aged ten years between ME2 and ME3 thanks to the lighting, something I never noticed with Femshep. And his hands look like he spent those years punching frozen sides of beef.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Maleshep, at least, seems to have aged ten years between ME2 and ME3 thanks to the lighting, something I never noticed with Femshep. And his hands look like he spent those years punching frozen sides of beef.

Instead, Miranda gave Shepard a boobjob between 1 and 2.

And then a second one between 2 and 3.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mymla posted:

Nah, if you look at side-by-side pictures of FemShep from the different games it looks much more like Shepard finally found a decently supportive bra for 2 and then got an actually properly fitted one for 3.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
At least Miranda fixed her absolutely hosed spine and posture while she was at it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mymla posted:

Nah, they just improved the posture for women all over the galaxy between each game.

There's a picture around that shows how ME1 models were all hunched over and they progressively got better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want anime boobs in my Mass Effect.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

same but unironically

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

I really disagree with you there, I think the lightning is one of the strongest aspects to ME2 and what makes the game continue to look really good by helping to mask the low-res textures of UE3.

Yep. 100.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mymla posted:

Do you think she and Liara got a group discount?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Shadow Broker really just provides affordable spinal surgery.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

About the Preview/Trial of the game they'll do the week before launch:

quote:

EA Access subscribers will get to play Mass Effect: Andromeda early on March 16 with a 10 hour trial, the publisher has announced.

The offer is also available to subscribers of Origin Access, EA's PC equivalent to the Xbox One-exclusive EA Access. Progress will carry over from the trial to the full game when it launches on March 21 (March 23 in Europe), according to the game's official Twitter account.
( http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-andromeda-10-hour-trial-coming-a-week-/1100-6447152/ )

quote:

The hefty trial of BioWare's sci-fi action RPG comes out on 16th March - five days before the full game comes out on 21st March in the US (it's 23rd in the UK). It'll surely let you make a decent dent in the game before it launches proper.
( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-23-10-hour-trial-of-mass-effect-andromeda-out-five-days-before-launch )

Progress carries over, and Origin Access on pc is only like ~5usd, and you get -10% on purchases anyhow, so you're saving a whole ~1 or 2 usd if you choose to buy it from them as well.
(But really, I imagine most people in the thread will be buying it off cdkey sites like GMG. )

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No further information on that multiplayer beta, now a "tech test," whatever that means.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

exquisite tea posted:

No, I said I agree that ME2 looks better. Mass Effect 3 is downright ugly with its lighting. But I still think Omega looks like rear end in both games due to the filter. Outside of that, the lighting in Mass Effect 2 is pretty nice, if a little too yellow at times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seemlar posted:

At least Miranda fixed her absolutely hosed spine and posture while she was at it.

"No Miranda I want Commander Shepard exactly as she was."
"Have you ever seen even a single picture of her Tim"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
one thing I liked with the lighting in the Mass Effect games is how they lit the Normandy

in ME it's dark across the whole ship because you're in the closest thing to a submarine in space, and anyone who's watched a movie about a submarine knows that in certain operational conditions the control room is kept fairly dark

in ME2 when the SR2 is a Cerberus vessel most of it is swathed in bright lighting that kind of reminds you of what you'd find in an office, because this is now a corporate ship

then in ME3 they swing right back around to military submarine lighting

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I figured that was because in ME3 half the internals were still pulled out due to it being dragged out mid refit, hence the loose wires everywhere and temporary coverings on exposed electrical bits.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
We got that lounge, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

I figured that was because in ME3 half the internals were still pulled out due to it being dragged out mid refit, hence the loose wires everywhere and temporary coverings on exposed electrical bits.

The insides of the ship being all pushed around and damaged is a metaphor for what happens when Shepard gets to fuckin.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The best thing about the Normandy in ME3 is

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The war room was kinda neat

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

The best thing about the Normandy in ME3 is

Having it turn into a chick that gets hosed by a snarky cripple.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

exquisite tea posted:

I am currently replaying ME3 on a surface pro 4 which can barely handle any other game but Mass Effect looks gorgeous.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Please say you are using the touchscreen.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Waltzing Along posted:

Please say you are using the touchscreen.

Haha, no I am using a controller for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

one thing I liked with the lighting in the Mass Effect games is how they lit the Normandy

in ME it's dark across the whole ship because you're in the closest thing to a submarine in space, and anyone who's watched a movie about a submarine knows that in certain operational conditions the control room is kept fairly dark

in ME2 when the SR2 is a Cerberus vessel most of it is swathed in bright lighting that kind of reminds you of what you'd find in an office, because this is now a corporate ship

then in ME3 they swing right back around to military submarine lighting

Ironically, the art book for ME2 reveals that the Normandy 2's lighting was supposed to be the opposite. The Normandy 2 was envisioned as being dark, cramped, unpainted, and all around a thoroughly unpleasant ship to live on, sacrificing the amenities of the first Normandy for the sake of raw power.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Cythereal posted:

Ironically, the art book for ME2 reveals that the Normandy 2's lighting was supposed to be the opposite. The Normandy 2 was envisioned as being dark, cramped, unpainted, and all around a thoroughly unpleasant ship to live on, sacrificing the amenities of the first Normandy for the sake of raw power.

Fortunately, it wasn't built by Quarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

Having it turn into a chick that gets hosed by a snarky cripple.

Transformers! Waifus in Disguise!