Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I'm heading my party up for a bait and switch, a swamp hovel claims they have a werewolf that took a child, but it was actually gnolls. The party will find the child alive, and also find out the child was going to be a sacrifice to bog people.

What level/when should I start handing out magical items? One of the rewards is going to be a tone that aids in the creation of poisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Big Black Brony posted:

I'm heading my party up for a bait and switch, a swamp hovel claims they have a werewolf that took a child, but it was actually gnolls. The party will find the child alive, and also find out the child was going to be a sacrifice to bog people.

What level/when should I start handing out magical items? One of the rewards is going to be a tone that aids in the creation of poisons.

Throw healing potions and other fun potions at them liberally, and stuff like +1 weapons starting at level 5ish to keep up with assumed math.

Also if you have a warlock instead of a +1 weapon they should be tossed a +1 Rod the Pact Keeper which is basically just a magic weapon except it adds to Eldritch Blast.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Big Black Brony posted:

Depends on how powerful/valuable the magic item is. Things that affect basic combat math (stuff that gives bonuses to attack/damage rolls, AC, saving throw DC) should probably not begin appearing until 5 or 6 at least. Things with high level spell charges should hold off until the party's at least close to being able to cast said spell themselves. Pretty much everything else is fair game from the very start: potions, gimmicks, basic utility items, etc. You can also throw them valuable magic items early on, but make them require the blessing of some NPC they don't meet until later on to activate it. You can (and probably should) also throw in magical weapons to bypass resistance/immunity to mundane weapons somewhat early on. Monks/Moon Druids have features that let them do this at level 6, so around that time.

It's hard to judge your tome of poison creation assistance because the PHB kinda forgot to set any expectations for the players regarding poisons, so the DM gets to determine how costly and powerful poisons are in their world. If it lets every weapon-user in the party deal an extra 4d6 to every attack as early as level 3 for little to no cost, that might be a problem unless you started substantially beefing up your monsters. If it lets one party member do it once per short/long rest at that level with a bit of gold cost attached to each use, that might be a bit more reasonable.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

thefakenews posted:

Cool, what do you like about it? What are some cool sessions you have had?

I like that I'm able to use the rules as a framework and build my game around them them, change things to fit our table better, and completely remove others if necessary. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints with the "natural language", and I can definitely see how trying to play with a bunch of grogs who must play by the rules or even in Adventure League could be a nightmare. It works great for my table though, which is made of people who've only played a couple of sessions before this including me the DM.

Last session my players raided a wizard's tower to find a stolen magic blacksmith hammer for "The Goatsmith" in nearby a town, with the promise of a free set of crafted magic armor. It ended with the players finding the wizard in his inner sanctum in a coma using astral projection. They forced a potion of shrinking down his throat and threw him into a bag of holding they found in the tower as well.

My group might be exactly who 5e is written for though, no one's too hell bent on the rules, we're new, and want to get together to drink beer and have fun.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kazr posted:

I like that I'm able to use the rules as a framework and build my game around them them, change things to fit our table better, and completely remove others if necessary.

Can you give an example of a system that doesn't accommodate house rules?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Can you give an example of a system that doesn't accommodate house rules?

I've only played 5e. It's been working and we're having fun

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If you genuinely don't care about rules you don't need a system that has three core books and multiple hundreds of pages of said rules, you can just get some ultra-lite beer-and-pretzels system for a fraction of the cost and it will be largely the same experience for you :shrug:

I'm not telling you what you can and can't do, I'm just saying.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I hope FFG releases a fantasy dice game so i can recommend that to people who like cool improv/beer and pretzel rpgs :(

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 23, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

I hope FFG releases a fantasy dice game so i can recommend that to people who like cool improv rpgs :(

http://www.redshirtdown.com/kingdom/

quote:

We’re proud to announce the Beta book for Sky Wars: Edge of the Kingdom, a 100% free, fan-made fantasy conversion for Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPG line.

Explore Osfilia, a loose collection of realms still working to recover more than thirty years after the devastation caused by the Sky Wars. Players may choose from eight races, able to become powerful mages, devout paladins, shapeshifting druids or follow any combination of eighteen different career paths.

Using the rules from any of FFG’s Star Wars core rulebooks (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force & Destiny), GMs and players will be able to create new adventures in what we hope will be an exciting fantasy sandbox.

Sky Wars: Edge of the Kingdom features:
New and updated rules to convert Sci-Fi to Fantasy
8 Races, including Gnomes, Half Orcs, Dark Elves and Golems
Pages and pages of gorgeous artwork, donated by over 45 artists from Deviantart.com
19 Career trees including Monks, Dragoons, Warlocks, Diplomats and more
Brand new ability and spell trees granting fantastic powers and magic to each career
Fantasy-based gear including weapons, armor and equipment
Sky Wars-era mounts and airships
Complete templates for NPCs and Adversaries

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww poo poo.

I've never touched it or seen it until 5 minutes ago but

kazr posted:

I've only played 5e. It's been working and we're having fun

Go play that redshirtdown rpg. Its going to give you everything you're looking for based on what you just said.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Or just keep playing 5e if it's working and you're having fun? Revolutionary, I know.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Zodack posted:

Or just keep playing 5e if it's working and you're having fun? Revolutionary, I know.

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. It's perfectly possible to play both 5e and some other game on other days. Or to finish a 5e campaign and then try a different game, even it's just as a "palate cleanser" if you will.

I would recommend branching out (eventually) to new players. A lot of fun comes from the general activity of RPG-gaming and has little to do with the specific game being used. Playing different games can make it clear which parts you enjoy just as general gaming and which parts you enjoy due to the RPG itself. And that in turn is helpful for fine-tuning your experiences, helps making houserules, helps with future exploration of games, etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Turns out in my group that I, the lawful evil paladin of Bane, is the voice of reason as the rest of the group murdered a baby and attacked a bunch of guys without any provocation as I was trying to talk to them.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

kazr posted:

I like that I'm able to use the rules as a framework and build my game around them them, change things to fit our table better, and completely remove others if necessary. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints with the "natural language", and I can definitely see how trying to play with a bunch of grogs who must play by the rules or even in Adventure League could be a nightmare. It works great for my table though, which is made of people who've only played a couple of sessions before this including me the DM.

What rules do you tend to change or remove, and what kinds of house rules do you like to use?

To be clear, I'm asking this in good faith - this isn't a trap. I don't personally find that 5E suits the kind of play you describe as well as some of my favourite games do, by I'd rather people who like 5E that come into this thread discuss their play experiences, rather than just declaring they enjoy the game and running out before they get a barrage of unsolicited system recommendations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I think most people who enjoy 5e are tired of having to justify it to this thread. (Or have just left.) We're just looking to talk about it, throw ideas back and forth, and find more ways to have fun playing it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

lifg posted:

I think most people who enjoy 5e are tired of having to justify it to this thread. (Or have just left.) We're just looking to talk about it, throw ideas back and forth, and find more ways to have fun playing it.

Which is why I'm trying to prompt a conversation about actually playing 5E. I'm not asking them to defend it - I'm asking how they play the game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lifg posted:

Yeah not my intention here, I will poo poo on this game left and right but if you enjoy it then the game is 100% working for you and you should absolutely keep playing it. I just always recommend to someone who hasn't tried anything else or sometimes isnt even aware there are other things that might fill their needs/wants out of a game. After the super hit of Stranger Things there are a tonne of people coming out and wanting to try playing dungeons and dragons expecting the kinds of stories they have seen in popular media when in reality its not always going to match their expectations. Mots of the time they don't even realize that table top roleplaying games are an entire field of products rather than dungeons and dragons being this specific unique one of a kind thing.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
I'm a casual rp-gamer, currently in the midst of a weekly 5e game where we (a barbarian, druid, bard and rogue) just dinged to level 6. I like that there is history, lore and familiarity in 5e, making it a richer environment to play around in.

Last night, one of our players returned to his original character after trying out a Tabaxi sorcerer for a few sessions, who had helped us locate an Iron Flask which we wanted to use to trap an Efreeti that is currently holding dominion over our home town. During his absence his bard was attempting to help out an NPC he felt responsible for, resulting in him losing an arm as part of a selfless sacrifice to lift a curse from The Keeper. This developed in game as his original character ran into the room followed by a familiar near-naked dishevelled Tabaxi, yelling out a warning that there is an impostor in our midst. Our Tabaxi dropped its illusion to reveal a Night Hag, which chuckled and popped the top off the Iron Flask.

After wailing on the hag for a round, she planeshifts away, leaving us with a pool of black smoke in the middle of a room. The smoke coalesces and takes shape, as a tall humanoid figure stands up, showing off slender feline form with deformed twisted backwards facing claws. Of course my rogue tries to show off to a girl so charges the creature, managing to crit on a sneak attack. The first opportunity I get to roll a fistfull of dice negated by it's immunity to non-magical piercing damage.

Yeah, you can plan a twist/betrayal like that using another system, absolutely. Yes you can create your own similar pantheon of gods. Yes you can have mechanics that let you roll buckets of dice (cough warhammer cough). Yes you can have a Ferrous Thermos of Enthrallment or some such. You can maybe have a well supported community creating new races to play. You can even have a huge compendium of badass, sneaky and nefarious enemies -- But I don't think you can get a collective pant-making GBS threads reaction without the associated hushed-tones water-cooler knowledge versus actually coming up against a Rakshasa and knowing that it is about to humble your poo poo and ruin your day.

Noxin of Shame fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 23, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Sage Genesis posted:

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. It's perfectly possible to play both 5e and some other game on other days. Or to finish a 5e campaign and then try a different game, even it's just as a "palate cleanser" if you will.

I would recommend branching out (eventually) to new players. A lot of fun comes from the general activity of RPG-gaming and has little to do with the specific game being used. Playing different games can make it clear which parts you enjoy just as general gaming and which parts you enjoy due to the RPG itself. And that in turn is helpful for fine-tuning your experiences, helps making houserules, helps with future exploration of games, etc.

I think it's important to play different stuff because you have different experiences and learn new things. You can then bring the good stuff - concepts, mechanics, thematic boondoggles, playstyles - to your other games as well. I've played monsterhearts, and while I did not love it and don't really have any desire to play it again it does have a really great way of thinking about social interaction, and playing *world games generally is great for D&D players because you absolutely learn new things about how to put players in charge of the narrative.

Everyone who plays tabletop RPGs should absolutely play some variant of D&D, some sort of narrative driven game, etc because you see different stuff and stuff from A can be brought to B

[quote]

thefakenews posted:

What rules do you tend to change or remove, and what kinds of house rules do you like to use?

To be clear, I'm asking this in good faith - this isn't a trap. I don't personally find that 5E suits the kind of play you describe as well as some of my favourite games do, by I'd rather people who like 5E that come into this thread discuss their play experiences, rather than just declaring they enjoy the game and running out before they get a barrage of unsolicited system recommendations.

I think a big understated (in this thread) plus for 5E is that you can pick up whatever OSR stuff you like and dump it in without many problems. Like, you could bring all of Crawford's sandbox tools to play with few issues. The DM for the game I played in just dumped the morale rules from AD&D 1E in and it fits perfectly.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Scyther posted:

If you genuinely don't care about rules you don't need a system that has three core books and multiple hundreds of pages of said rules, you can just get some ultra-lite beer-and-pretzels system for a fraction of the cost and it will be largely the same experience for you :shrug:

I'm not telling you what you can and can't do, I'm just saying.

If we're comparing costs, the 5e SRD is free and sufficient to run/play a game in the system. Preference on rules-weight can go two ways. True, you could be looking for something light (ala Dungeon World). In my case, very freeform/light systems aren't enough structure to my liking, but systems where you have to sift through multiple sourcebooks and study the rules for hours to make a character who can meaningfully contribute to an adventure are also not ideal. 5e strikes a decent enough balance for me.

thefakenews posted:

-Characters have 5 additional max HP upon character creation, because someone going down to a goblin crit, and that snowballing into a TPK is dumb.
-A few rebalance/quality of life tweaks to a handful of classes/archetypes
-Players are free to respec their characters at certain points in the adventure

Everything else probably falls under the "adventure design" umbrella. Notably, long rests in my campaign need to take place at designated locations, inspired by Final Fantasy inns. I wanted encounters on the way to/from destinations to have some impact rather than being one-off timewasters because the party could otherwise just sleep off the one thing they run into during a day's march. It also helps prevent spellcasters from doing everything all the time. Also, I lower ability check DCs a bit from what the rulebooks suggest because someone here pointed out that the designers forgot 5e had flatter math than previous editions.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

thefakenews posted:

Which is why I'm trying to prompt a conversation about actually playing 5E. I'm not asking them to defend it - I'm asking how they play the game.

I try to limit myself to three beers because after that I don't remember any NPC names.

I play through AL so it's pretty vanilla. I don't have much to compare it to since I've only ever played versions of D&D. I'd like to try out other systems but I can only get one guaranteed night free per week so I stick to what I know and enjoy. Our DM is good and is honest about the shortcomings of 5e (he was a big 4e guy) so he helps work around them without houseruling much. We do mostly TotM for basic fights but will bust out a grid/whiteboard for more complex encounters. We play 2-2.5 hours per week doing either AL modules or the latest book.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think a big understated (in this thread) plus for 5E is that you can pick up whatever OSR stuff you like and dump it in without many problems. Like, you could bring all of Crawford's sandbox tools to play with few issues. The DM for the game I played in just dumped the morale rules from AD&D 1E in and it fits perfectly.

What did the DM use for the morale score? Was it based on AD&D morale scores? I've experimented with morale in my current game, but haven't been happy with the implementation.

Since I started house rules chat, I should post my house rules for the SKT game I just started running.

Edit: Also, I let hero points recharge at the end of session using Burning Wheel style goals, beliefs and instincts.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 23, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

thefakenews posted:

What did the DM use for the morale score? Was it based on AD&D morale scores? I've experimented with morale in my current game, but haven't been happy with the implementation.

Since I started house rules chat, I should post my house rules for the SKT game I just started running.

Edit: Also, I let hero points recharge at the end of session using Burning Wheel style goals, beliefs and instincts.

I checked and I was wrong about the source edition - he used the Red/Blue book ones as a straight cut paste.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Everyone who plays tabletop RPGs should absolutely play some variant of D&D, some sort of narrative driven game, etc because you see different stuff and stuff from A can be brought to B

Specifically Dungeon World. More specifically the chapter on adventure fronts, which is just the best fantasy-adventure creation advice I've ever read, and I use in my campaign every session.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How many people is Curse of Strahd? And is Monk ok to run in it?
How fun is it? My friends and I are thinking of running it

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I checked and I was wrong about the source edition - he used the Red/Blue book ones as a straight cut paste.

Those are good rules, and morale checks make a huge difference to the way fights play out.

I've noticed that "you killed one bandit and the other 8 shat their pants and ran away" is a common story when you play by those old rules, but never ever happens when you go to play with a group who plays "oldschool style".

Slippery42 posted:

-Characters have 5 additional max HP upon character creation, because someone going down to a goblin crit, and that snowballing into a TPK is dumb.
-A few rebalance/quality of life tweaks to a handful of classes/archetypes

Last time I played 5th ed, the DM lifted "+20hp at first level" from Hackmaster and it worked out fine. I think every PC would have died 3-4 times on the way to 3rd if we'd used the standard rules.

Can you go into what you changed in which classes? Always interesting to see what stuff people thought was a problem and how they sorted it out.

Kaysette posted:

I try to limit myself to three beers because after that I don't remember any NPC names.

I just drink what I want and use the default NPC names. "Robe dude", "cheapass questgiver", "that one guy with the eels" etc.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 23, 2017

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Most of my house rules for 5e are just things that I remember from 3.5 that end up being how I play it. Since they're less familiar with 3.5 or 5e with me we just go with it as long as it's consistent. One notable example is coup de grace, which I don't think 5e handles well. Attacks on incapacitated or unconscious targets should result in death if that's the player's goal - rolling advantage and then just getting an automatic critical hit is not what I expect from knifing a paralyzed humanoid in the throat or whatever.

Another I'm thinking of introducing would be giving reaction based attacks of opportunity to movement through melee range instead of purely from retreating.

At some point we'll probably just transition to another system but as these are new players 5e is easy for them to pick up and my playing it very 3.5-y means the transition won't be as hard.

The campaign I'm running is the alternate game night to another main campaign with more people. I didn't want to just run the same setting or one similar enough to confuse the two, so I'm adapting the Dark Sun setting to 5e using some resources from others as well as figuring out a reasonable conversion for various encounters. So probably right now the biggest house rule is "psionics is a thing. "

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I have a weird relationship with house rules, because I only really give a poo poo about them if I'm a player, but I can only really implement them if I'm the DM.

I kinda would like to see one along the lines of "you can use any mental stat for Knowledge skills that are on your class list" but as usual, this works better in a system without multiclassing.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Last time I played 5th ed, the DM lifted "+20hp at first level" from Hackmaster and it worked out fine. I think every PC would have died 3-4 times on the way to 3rd if we'd used the standard rules.

Can you go into what you changed in which classes? Always interesting to see what stuff people thought was a problem and how they sorted it out.

+20 HP sounds nuts! But 5e's my only ttrpg experience, so I probably lack perspective. I've only KOed a player two or three times in my campaign with just +5, though I'm also sticking between normal and low-hard rated fights and try to spread the damage evenly unless team baddie has a reason to focus-fire someone.

As for rebalancing, sure! Most of my focus was on rangers, since one of my players actually picked that one. This was well before the UA revised ranger article which fixed most of the same pain points I saw. Everyone else is a bit half-baked and written over a year ago, but I'll summarize as best I can.

Ranger:
-Primeval Awareness is usable wis mod times per long rest instead of costing a spell slot. Favored terrain clause reveals a rough number of creatures, and the extended radius is optional.
-Can prepare a number of spells equal to wis mod + half ranger level to match paladins
-Hide in Plain Sight allows half-speed movement while remaining concealed
-All hunter features become core ranger features
-Beastmasters can revive a 0 HP pet over a short rest instead of derailing the adventure to find a new one, and they can see through their pet's senses ala the Find Familiar benefit
-The hunter features get replaced with things that allow them to learn and eventually remove a creature's resistance/immunities for the cost of a bonus action and concentration. Later on, they can confer vulnerability to a damage type
-Toyed around with giving the different archetypes some perma-prepped spells like paladins get and giving beastmasters ritual casting as well, but the player thought all that would be overpowered and declined that offer.

Berserker:
-Frenzy costs HP to activate instead of exhaustion.
-Intimidating Presence save DC uses str mod instead of dump stat mod

Fighter:
-Someone on Reddit made this post which I used as a template. I gave my variant more but smaller superiority dice.
-I'm actually reasonably happy with the direction the recent UA article went with them: A solid defender archetype, as well as a full-Legolas with probably the best single target burst in the game, plus a bonus skill/tool proficiency or two for each new archetype a couple levels in.

Wo4e Monk:
-Ki cost of spell-equivalents are equal to the spell's level (down from level + 1)
-They eventually learn 8 disciplines (up from 4) and have a bunch more to choose from, mostly lifted from EE spells and features from that rune scribe thing. Disciplines can be swapped out whenever you gain a monk level instead of 3 levels after you learn you don't like the one you picked

Rogue:
-Get some sort of detect magic feature between level 6-9 so they don't get busted by the most basic magical security
-Rework everything in the thief archetype because it's mostly garbage
-Assassin ribbons don't have so many catches since they're pretty weak to begin with
-Interpret the stealth rules in a player-favoring way

Wild Magic Sorcerer:
-The fireball chart result can't happen until you can actually cast fireball
-After each long rest, roll 1d4 and you can pick that many extra sorcerer spells to know until your next long rest

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Slippery42 posted:

Slippery42 posted:

+20 HP sounds nuts!

A popular house rule for 5e is to just add you CON score as a one-time bonus to your base HP (effectively adding between 8 and 17 HP at level 1, but more likely in the 10-14 range.)
Some people use this in addition to CON mod at level 1, some use it in place of; I prefer the former, because then the CON mod bonus can just be multiplied by level, instead of (level -1)

If you use this, you can also decide that Hit Die bonus at level 1 uses the averaged/flat number instead of maxed, to make that likewise consistent across levels.
Another twist I like is allowing CON score or STR score to be added to HP, since most classes want one or the other, but rarely [need/can afford] both.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slippery42 posted:

+20 HP sounds nuts! But 5e's my only ttrpg experience, so I probably lack perspective. I've only KOed a player two or three times in my campaign with just +5, though I'm also sticking between normal and low-hard rated fights and try to spread the damage evenly unless team baddie has a reason to focus-fire someone.

As for rebalancing, sure!

+20hp to me basically meant that while encounters were roughly where they "should" be, nobody got KO'ed without warning. To me, there's a huge difference between "I had max hp and got smashed down in one lucky shot" and "I am down to <rules as written max hp>, if I decide to fight I could get smashed down in one lucky shot". I really don't like the first one outside oldschool play (BECMI or B/x or whatever). 20hp seems like enough that you can get a fight or two in before you have to start making decisions about how beat up you are, and that sits about where I like D&D to sit with regards to how potentially lethal everything is.

I like your ranger. Also anything that makes barbarian rage less poo poo is fine with me. How many hp are you making it cost?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 23, 2017

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
I was aware of the con score instead of mod variation from lurking this thread. Thought that was a bit much as well, so I dialed it back to 5 when I was deciding on house rules. It's still roughly an extra 50% to the average character's max HP at level 1. In my campaign, it proved enough to vastly mitigate the lethality of the shitfarmer tier while having only a slight impact later in the game. Starcraft was a pretty big influence on me, and I guess seeing patch notes like "changed bunker build time from 29 to 31 seconds" conditioned me toward favoring somewhat conservative changes.

AlphaDog posted:

I like your ranger. Also anything that makes barbarian rage less poo poo is fine with me. How many hp are you making it cost?

Never decided on that for sure. Probably no more than 5 HP for a fight, though (or maybe something like 1-2 HP per swing). The idea is that the cost should be enough to make you think twice about using it when you first get the ability since it gives you a comparably huge offensive boost then, but by the time having three attacks is a standard feature for fighters, the cost would be more like a drop in the bucket.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Building my Paladin for a first-time session on Friday and I want to check to make sure I understand how the spell system works. I'll just spit out my understanding of it and if I have something wrong, can someone tell me?

At level 4, my Paladin with a Charisma modifier of 3 would be able to cast 5 spells: the modifier + half my level rounded down. So I'd have 5 spells I could prepare from a big list each day and 3 slots to spend on actual daily casting. And those would include any of the chapter 11 first level Paladin spells plus the two Oath spells unlocked at level 3. Is that accurate?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Building my Paladin for a first-time session on Friday and I want to check to make sure I understand how the spell system works. I'll just spit out my understanding of it and if I have something wrong, can someone tell me?

At level 4, my Paladin with a Charisma modifier of 3 would be able to cast 5 spells: the modifier + half my level rounded down. So I'd have 5 spells I could prepare from a big list each day and 3 slots to spend on actual daily casting. And those would include any of the chapter 11 first level Paladin spells plus the two Oath spells unlocked at level 3. Is that accurate?

Without cracking my book open, that sounds correct. You will probably spend your slots on healing or divine smite.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Maybe this is just an issue of trying to keep options limited to simplify uptake but I'm kind of stunned that 5e Paladins are driven by the strength of their convictions and not by gods, and yet the available oaths don't use that change to offer some really interesting, different ideas. The guy that made the sweet homebrews of the Communist paladin, the contracted hellsworn, the champion of beggars and urchins, etc. -- his ideas seem like the kind of things that WotC should have put forward the moment they decided paladins are the source of their own power.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

RC Cola posted:

How many people is Curse of Strahd? And is Monk ok to run in it?
How fun is it? My friends and I are thinking of running it

I'm loving it, probably the best of the last three published adventures.

- Having a DM that does accents will do wonders for the mood. They don't have to be Matt Mercer, but just having a generic "vistani" accent and generic "townsfolk" accent is great.

- One cool thing about Ravenloft is that the ranger, even the original ranger, is usable. Take favored enemy undead and favored terrain forest.

- I've found that our group has gotten a lot of RP mileage out of each of us having a different reaction to undead. Between the necromancer who uses them, the ranger who hates them, and the paladin who can talk to ghosts, it's been a lot of fun.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Anyone have a spot in a game using Fantasy Grounds or Roll20? I'm in one 5E game bi-weekly running Storm King currently and looking another game.

I'm fairly new to it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

empathe posted:

Anyone have a spot in a game using Fantasy Grounds or Roll20? I'm in one 5E game bi-weekly running Storm King currently and looking another game.

I'm fairly new to it.

I run a 4e and am starting a Call of Cthulhu game using Fantasy Grounds. I know that's not what you would be hoping to hear in the DnD5e thread, but my 5e game is at 6 players so short of someone dropping out I can't offer anything else.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Wait wait wait wait so looking at warlock options

I could be under a fiend, take pact of the blade, use Townshend's Cudgel as the basis for it as it's a simple weapon, AND HIT PEOPLE WITH A FLAMING BLACK METAL GUITAR?! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Wait wait wait wait so looking at warlock options

I could be under a fiend, take pact of the blade, use Townshend's Cudgel as the basis for it as it's a simple weapon, AND HIT PEOPLE WITH A FLAMING BLACK METAL GUITAR?! :black101:

Pact of the Blade lets you pick martial weapons too, so you might as well give it the stats of a rapier (so that you can use Dex with it) but still describe it as a flaming guitar if you feel like it.

Also 'Townshend's Crudgel' unless you have some kind of source for it that I don't, is just some guy's homebrew that he uploaded to a wiki, not an official weapon.

You can play such a character as a paladin too, by the way. Paladins have Oaths, but that Oath can be to whatever as long as your GM roughly agree on some kind of code close to what's in the PHB (sane ones will not really care). Then you just refluff the Oath archetype from the books that you like best.