Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean, I have no complaints now that I'm in nouget and my Android wear issue is resolved.

Battery life is excellent.
Radios seem to work well.
Phone is snappy.
Screen is fine.
Camera is leagues better than my Nexus 6

The only demerit you could really give it is for not having dual front speakers, but every flagship phone has that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It is a Nexus and there are still some roms made for it that probably would bring it up to at least last 6 month update level if you really wanted to just keep using it a little longer. (If the hardware is still good I guess)

The latest CM rom for it probably would be your best bet until it gets Lineage support. (Co Worker at last job had an 8G one. Stupid small memory size, but CM13.1 ran good on it and was a hell of a lot better than stock)

But like others have said, at this point and being it is "That" nexus, a new phone would be a substantial upgrade. If not a new Pixel then a 6P would be a really good Nexus choice that is still getting updates.

Or the many other options outside of Nexus. Moto G4, HTC 10, Axon 7, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You're killing us here

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Sadly, if you want long-term support for your fancy telephone device, the only option is to buy an iphone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nimper posted:

Sadly, if you want long-term support for your fancy telephone device, the only option is to buy an iphone.

Even the iPhone 4S, which was released at about the same time as the Galaxy Nexus, is out of support at this point.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Internet Explorer posted:

Even the iPhone 4S, which was released at about the same time as the Galaxy Nexus, is out of support at this point.

Yes, but it was supported up to last year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nimper posted:

Yes, but it was supported up to last year.

Right, I'm just saying - it's time to buy a new phone, whether you're in Android land or iOS land.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I sold my iPhone because gently caress the App Store and region locking in general. I am on my old Droid MAXX XT1080 that got wrecked for future OS upgrades when Google sold Motorola to Lenovo. It works fine for dumb 2D games but quality of life (Google Maps speed/fidelity, heavy browsing and such) is low compared to my former iPhone 6S, duh. I can afford and hold out for a Snapdragon 835-powered Pixel-like thing late this year, if needed. What improvements might be worth waiting for in a successor to the Pixel? What are the chances that other phone makers running Android might catch up to the Pixel in terms of optimization and responsiveness (I don't care about extra Google stuff like assistants though) this year?

I still wish the Pixel was smaller so that I could onehand it or slap a huge case on it and toss it around like a ball (not actually, i'm just that absentminded about my hands)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Really though, a phone from 2011 that can install an Android 6.0.1 based rom isn't 100% terrible. At least it isn't stuck at 4.2.2 (Anything that you need for Modern Android is literally 4.3+ only at this point.)

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

99% terrible

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I sold my iPhone because gently caress the App Store and region locking in general. I am on my old Droid MAXX XT1080 that got wrecked for future OS upgrades when Google sold Motorola to Lenovo. It works fine for dumb 2D games but quality of life (Google Maps speed/fidelity, heavy browsing and such) is low compared to my former iPhone 6S, duh. I can afford and hold out for a Snapdragon 835-powered Pixel-like thing late this year, if needed. What improvements might be worth waiting for in a successor to the Pixel? What are the chances that other phone makers running Android might catch up to the Pixel in terms of optimization and responsiveness (I don't care about extra Google stuff like assistants though) this year?

I still wish the Pixel was smaller so that I could onehand it or slap a huge case on it and toss it around like a ball (not actually, i'm just that absentminded about my hands)

Only real things other than something like the SD835 I can see happening to the Pixel 2 are waterproofing and small bezels maybe. Did you try the non-XL Pixel? Still too big?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

CLAM DOWN posted:

Only real things other than something like the SD835 I can see happening to the Pixel 2 are waterproofing and small bezels maybe. Did you try the non-XL Pixel? Still too big?

My issue is apps that are designed simultaneously for iOS/Android that still have important menus accessed from waaaaaaaay up at the top left hand corner because Steve Jobs thought it'd be great to put stuff there back when iPhones were only 4-inch screens. Even on a 5-inch like the vanilla Pixel it's too much of a stretch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My issue is apps that are designed simultaneously for iOS/Android that still have important menus accessed from waaaaaaaay up at the top left hand corner because Steve Jobs thought it'd be great to put stuff there back when iPhones were only 4-inch screens. Even on a 5-inch like the vanilla Pixel it's too much of a stretch.

You must have wee little babby hands. I can reach that top corner one-handed if I stretch and move the phone a bit but I can see how that would be harder for those with smaller hands. Unfortunately for you, the trend is that "small" is that standard Pixel screen size p much.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On Android you almost never need to hit the Up button (that's what the top left corner is called). My girlfriend has both a normal Pixel and tiny T-Rex arms and hands and has no trouble one-handing it. She was coming from an iPhone 6S and just assumed that corner was super important like it is there but any time you think you need the Up button, the Back button usually does the same thing so it hasn't been an issue for her. I think in practice you'd find the same to be true.

That said I can't imagine the next Pixel to be worse than this Pixel so there's no harm in waiting if you're comfortable doing that but you are ten months away and the current Pixel is soooooo good.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Swipe your thumb to the right from the very (like, off-the-screen very) left edge of the screen. That opens the sidebar menu on the 99% of apps that don't have some terrible third party version of that. The rest of the time the top-left is probably just an arrow, which is synonymous with the soft back button, so no need to press it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

I have tiny hands and thought I would struggle one handing anything larger than the original Moto X form factor (4.7" screen, not huge bezels), but I actually got used to one handing a regular Pixel surprisingly quick. I found it's actually a bit easier to use one handed with a Diztronic TPU case on it because the case is less slick than the bare phone (without adding much width/depth). The way I hold the phone, the top left is actually one of the easier places to get to, so try experimenting with grip.

fe: It occurred to me that the top left may be one of the easier reaches because I primarily use my phone with my left hand despite being right handed.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I know i want to buy a phone from a company that used to make you show them your titties to get an invite to buy it

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

vyst posted:

I know i want to buy a phone from a company that used to make you show them your titties to get an invite to buy it

Boy I sure do want to buy a phone from a company where I have to film myself destroying my old phone for a minuscule chance of getting an invite!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ok I think I can manage the left side swipe, and yes some apps are still bad about not having that shortcut.

LastInLine posted:

That said I can't imagine the next Pixel to be worse than this Pixel so there's no harm in waiting if you're comfortable doing that but you are ten months away and the current Pixel is soooooo good.

water resistance would be nice but I'd really love hardware OIS especially on a compact model. How much of the Pixel's experience comes from things that are going to be walled off from everyone else for a while?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ok I think I can manage the left side swipe, and yes some apps are still bad about not having that shortcut.

water resistance would be nice but I'd really love hardware OIS especially on a compact model. How much of the Pixel's experience comes from things that are going to be walled off from everyone else for a while?

Very few things since most of the good stuff is hardware quality. Assistant is really really good but I can't imagine Google wouldn't be looking to put that functionality into the Now Launcher as soon as they can.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BTW, the google engineer who announced the Voice app update on google+ said voip calling from the app is "on the radar"

https://plus.google.com/+AlexWiesen/posts/EEVjRbbKz65

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

FAUXTON posted:

Very few things since most of the good stuff is hardware quality. Assistant is really really good but I can't imagine Google wouldn't be looking to put that functionality into the Now Launcher as soon as they can.

by hardware quality do you specifically mean things like dual boot OS and extra work on hardware driving APIs or do you mean things like "airplane-grade aluminum!"? Because from what little I've seen I feel like the latter is already a popular trend and the former idk???????

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

by hardware quality do you specifically mean things like dual boot OS and extra work on hardware driving APIs or do you mean things like "airplane-grade aluminum!"? Because from what little I've seen I feel like the latter is already a popular trend and the former idk???????

The camera hardware is legitimately as good as they have advertised. The phone's overall fit and finish reminds me of the older HTC stuff, it has a weight to it and a lack of flex/rattle that sort of lends itself to a "premium" feel.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

I think both. The phone is snappy and quick while feeling like its built solidly... like something I can hold onto for a couple years and not have it almost fall apart after two years. Granted, I don't know what possibilities android offers for other manufacturers to optimize their phones so its possible they'll be able to compete on quality at some point.

That said, I thought the same thing when I bought my Nexus 6P and now I'd call it the worst google phone experience I've had (battery issues, general slowness). Its possible the pixel will follow in its footsteps.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nexus hardware falls apart around the 15 month mark, the Pixel at the very least doesn't look like it would.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

Nexus hardware falls apart around the 15 month mark, the Pixel at the very least doesn't look like it would.

Don't say stuff like this. You're just making it up but don't realize it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea this last batch has seen problems but I've seen people posting about still using the Nexus 5 and even 4 in addition to a couple people still using a Galaxy Nexus for whatever reason. Build quality has not really been an issue normally

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

One OEM battery swap last December after 2 years of use and my Nexus 5 was good as new. No other hardware issues whatsoever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Only problem with using a phone this long (N5), is that micro-usb ports were never made for this many insertion cycles. :quagmire:

I have to use wireless charging and WiFi file transfer, for it to still suit my needs. Was gonna get an Honor 8 when they hit $299 + $180 in free crap, but I wanted a bike trainer instead, so welp.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Don't say stuff like this. You're just making it up but don't realize it.

I don't know, the latest Nexus phones are bootlooping, the Nexus 5 inspired the previous thread title when you had to bang it against the desk to get it working, the motherboard on the Nexus 4 was notorious for having the micro USB fail... it may not be 100% accurate but then again this thread has never exactly been a hyperbole free zone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The battery thing on the N6P is pretty darn annoying, but aside from that it's going well. Which is more than you could say for the Note 5 (which was released at roughly the same time) in my experience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

As someone who's had experience with nearly every Nexus for a full 2 year cycle, I can see where you might say 30 months but not 15. By the time the second cycle came around you were certainly ready for a new phone but the only one where getting to the 24 month point was a real struggle was the Nexus S.

That said I can see where the Nexus 5x might be a new low.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I used the Gnex and the N5 both for nearly 2 years, and I'm on my 5X now, quite happy with it but bracing for the probably inevitable bootloop failure. None of them could really be described as "premium" phones but they all worked very well and had pretty good survivability.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Nexus One was solid as gently caress and the only thing that limited its life was the palty system partition. Still if you didn't mind being left behind it was good for four years, at least that's how long mine lasted.

The Nexus S never ran well and the Jellybean update really killed it. It's the only Nexus that just never had working software and I doubt anyone could've kept that one a third year.

The Galaxy Nexus on Verizon was trash but the GSM version was fine. I could see getting three years there but it'd have been a struggle what with the dropped support due to TI leaving the market.

The Nexus 4 was also fine though I hope you like replacing the USB daughterboard. Still it was easy to work on and battery swaps were easy and if you could live without LTE it would make it four years (with replacement USB board and battery at the two year mark).

The Nexus 5 was a tank but that battery was not going to last three years.

The Nexus 6 had its issues throughout but again, no reason you couldn't get three years. The software again always seemed to have issues.

The 5x, well, the less said the better. The 6P seems to be doing alright so far.

The Pixel to me feels most like the Nexus One but who knows? Maybe Android P will turn it into a dog? Maybe the battery will die at 30 months? It certainly reminds me of the Nexus One in how well the hardware seems to be put together but it's way too early to speculate.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'll second that 30 month cycle. Saying goodbye to my N5 tomorrow after 2.5 years of hard use. Probably could have gone on longer but there was an unfortunate submersion incident during the christmas break (fully dried and works fine) now the backlight is doing somethinng funny. All the colors will wash out but after a few days the phone will seem to heal itself! But then an hour in the gym and the problem is back (treadmill so not even on my person). Touch functionality is not affected in any way and EVERYTHING works flawlessly but the washout utterly shits on the screen contrast making text pretty hard to read. Jumping ship before the screen actually does die.

Going to 3T.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The big difference with the pixel is that Google actually has an in person support network for it.

If I need a new battery in 18 months for some reason, I can dive 3 miles and have it replaced with OEM parts with OEM procedures for $80 while I wait. No "call the manufacturer", no shady eBay batteries, no watching a teardown video over and over in hopes I don't gently caress it up.

Same goes for the charge port, display, and housing.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Lol that touched off an interesting debate when, in fact, I'm a loving moron and gave the wrong phone model haha. The phone I used to have was a Nexus, but now I have a Droid Turbo. Same problem. Sorry! Talk about a brain fart.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

The Nexus S never ran well and the Jellybean update really killed it. It's the only Nexus that just never had working software and I doubt anyone could've kept that one a third year.

The Nexus 4 was also fine though I hope you like replacing the USB daughterboard. Still it was easy to work on and battery swaps were easy and if you could live without LTE it would make it four years (with replacement USB board and battery at the two year mark).

I got two years from the Nexus S - sure it didn't run particularly well after that time but not did anything else in the Android world (it had the same hardware as the original Galaxy S and certainly ran a lot better than that POS)

My N4 made it to two years without the USB port failing, the power button did instead and apparently that's a pain to try and replace

In between when the N4 died and when I picked up an N6P I had a LG G3 for a few months and it was the most godawful mobile experience I've ever had - despite having way more hardware performance was awful compared to the N4, the screen sucked, audio was barely usable and battery life was terrible. Good camera though. That phone sure taught me a lesson about looking at spec sheets instead of the overall package.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

I won't say it's impossible but the Nexus 6 had hardware OIS and Google made such a big deal about the Pixels software OIS I don't see them ditching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Software OIS blows. It's a little better for video compared to still image shooting because you're not using the full sensor in video. Still, hardware OIS is strictly better with the current state of technology.