Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

We're talking about that incredibly high quality, incredibly finicky GaoGaiGar one, right?

I mean, if you want posability, there's plenty of options. I want Megazord toys because I like making mechanical noises with my mouth while sticking them together. (And anyone who says they don't do that is a goddamn liar and you all know it.)

Can confirm. I bought a Dekabase Robo/SPD Command Magazord at Morphicon and basically spent the whole afternoon transforming it and screaming "DEKABASE ROBO". I regret nothing. It is still one of the coolest zords I own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the thing with a lot of Sentai Robot designs is that they are designed by toy companies to be as unfriendly to posibility as possible.

The toys are stuck in the 80s mindset of "big and supposedly impressive, but not practical at all"

You can make combining robot toys with good articulation- they just don't combine like the Sentai robots do. So putting articulation INTO those, as in, the old designs, that takes a lot more time and effort and thus, way more money to spend on it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

:airquote: High quality :airquote:

Did you forget that to combine the Mega Tigerzord, you actually have to yank panels out of their hinges?

That''s because of the dumb zord builder stuff they shoehorn into them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

If they had more articulation they'd cost 300+ dollars.

This is a fact. We know this is a fact because that's literally a thing.

EDIT: Also the DragonZord figure has about as much articulation as the design could realistically allow. I love that suit, but that is NOT a toy friendly design.

Honestly they could probably approach Transformers levels of articulation and still be affordable if they were willing to shrink them down a fair bit

Burkion posted:

Yeah the thing with a lot of Sentai Robot designs is that they are designed by toy companies to be as unfriendly to posibility as possible.

The toys are stuck in the 80s mindset of "big and supposedly impressive, but not practical at all"

You can make combining robot toys with good articulation- they just don't combine like the Sentai robots do. So putting articulation INTO those, as in, the old designs, that takes a lot more time and effort and thus, way more money to spend on it.

I dunno, the candy toys often have decent articulation and have reasonably accurate transformations as well(even if they're a bit more reliant on parts-forming than normal), really Bandai could probably make a lot of money if they just started bringing those over

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
It might not transform and its the same size as the rangers but the Super Robot Chogokin is still the best Megazord/Daizyujin toy out there.

The Soul of Chogokin one looks beautiful but its too rich for my blood.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Super Minipla Daizyujin looks like a Mini SOC and that's pretty rad.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

deadly_pudding posted:

If Bandai wanted my money, they would release a special line of Gundam Model kits that are just megazords.

I'm terrible at gunpla but I'd buy some HG Megazords.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ninja Steel's opening theme has been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxzJcCY3LAE

Not bad, "Go Go Power Rangers" is still present (though kind of awkwardly placed compared to Dino Charge's theme) but at least they've finally gotten rid of the "Rangers together/forever, (Team Name) all together" bit.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 21, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Not bad, "Go Go Power Rangers" is still present (though kind of awkwardly placed compared to Dino Charge's theme) but at least they've finally gotten rid of the "Rangers together/forever, (Team Name) all together" bit.

I sorta hope they do more with the Blue Ranger's magic than Ninninger did with Yakumo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Larryb posted:

Together/forever wasn't a good line when Wild Force did it fifteen years ago, it's not gonna be good now.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I don't know if it's just a DirecTV streaming issue but having a Nickelodeon bump tell me that I'm watching Power Rangers Dino Charge during Ninja Steel makes me think maybe they don't give a gently caress about this franchise.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

J33uk posted:

I don't know if it's just a DirecTV streaming issue but having a Nickelodeon bump tell me that I'm watching Power Rangers Dino Charge during Ninja Steel makes me think maybe they don't give a gently caress about this franchise.

I'm pretty sure they made this same mistake with MegaForce in the first episode of Dino Charge. I bet they'll get it corrected within the next episode or so.

As far as the premier itself, I was very entertained. I think I will really like Pink and Blue.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Has the red ranger clenched his fists and screamed about how he's burning up? It's not going to feel right without that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Has the red ranger clenched his fists and screamed about how he's burning up? It's not going to feel right without that.
:airquote: screamed :airquote:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
He said this was epic.

Not as good an intro episode as Dino Charge, but i'm willing to see what else goes on since this is a two-parter.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fine, "projected his voice" :rolleyes:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Fine, "projected his voice" :rolleyes:

:airquote: projected his voice :airquote:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Raserys posted:

:airquote: projected his voice :airquote:

party night :black101:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thoughts:
It's interesting that Red actually lived with the bad guys for about a decade. You'd think then that he would know them by name. Today's monster was frequently referred to as "that guy" and was knocked out for three minutes by a skater collision and then blown up by half a team. Too bad, he had a kind of cool design.

Male shirtlessness from a non-red ranger for once? :heysexy:

When the jock dude and the nerd showed up, I could hear the Bulk & Skull tuba theme in my head. And the actual music even seemed vaguely evocative of it. And then the guy humiliated himself, just like Bulk on the skateboard.

Is this supposed to be the future? I'm not sure why they have hoverboards, but I'm hoping this "close future" setting has a purpose. PR has done this sort of stuff many times before, like Lost Galaxy's shift off 90s Earth to a colony, but it usually serves a story purpose.

My only nitpick is the bad guy game show thing (a concept so amusing it actually raised my interest in watching) was on this Flying Fortress with the most video game rear end graphics I've seen on this show. I'd rather watch the same shot of a model airship than watch a mediocre CGI one.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I think shirtlessness will be the order of the day with Ninja Steel Blue being IRL brothers with Dino Charge Blue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That wasn't too bad a premiere. I like most of the characters and the villians already seem like they'll be more entertaining than their Sentai counterparts (in fact just from the first episode alone this show is already better than Ninninger, though granted that's not exactly a high bar to clear). I didn't mind the repurposing of monster suits like Venjix (First form, RPM) and a Fearcat (from Operation Overdrive, it was the MotW for this episode) either (I think there were a few more among the crowd too). Also based on those in-helmet shots the rangers appear to be wearing ninja outfits underneath their suits which is kind of a nice touch and I'd like to get a better look at them.

From what I understand, the Zords will essentially be created from objects the Rangers already own (though a hoverboard turning into a train in kind of a stretch).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 23, 2017

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Larryb posted:

From what I understand, the Zords will essentially be created from objects the Rangers already own (though a hoverboard turning into a train in kind of a stretch).

Pink referred to her hoverboard as being like a freight train (or something), so I guess that's the excuse they'll use for her getting a train Zord?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

FeatherFloat posted:

Pink referred to her hoverboard as being like a freight train (or something), so I guess that's the excuse they'll use for her getting a train Zord?

That would explain the Ninja Power Star already on her hoverboard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is anyone else really bothered when the transformation phrase is something stupid and uncreative like "X power, power up!"? Even Turbo managed to be more creative than that, and that's just sad.

My favorite is forever gonna be Time For... Time Force!

Edit: However, I will also accept SPD EMERGENCY! or even, in a pinch, Wild Access.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 24, 2017

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
as long as it isn't go go [series name]

Also would you take UNLEASH THE POWER

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yes, but only because I like Dino Charge.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No love for "Let's Rocket/Rock It!"?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Power Rangers Turbo was kinda bad, but "SHIFT INTO TURBO" is a real good transformation phrase

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
RPM get in gear is good but only when the Scottish guy says it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Uh, also, is there a place to legit stream current-season Power Rangers? I could have sworn it was on hulu, but I just checked and I am apparently insane.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Uh, also, is there a place to legit stream current-season Power Rangers? I could have sworn it was on hulu, but I just checked and I am apparently insane.
You were close. It's Netflix.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"Wild access, huh!" is actually my least favorite call ever. I can't think of a show that had a generic "[season name] power, go!" except for DinoThunder, and it made up for that in other ways.

I always liked the rhyming calls, but "ninja steel, star reveal" definitely has that 'couldn't think of a good call' feeling.

"Shift into Turbo" was cringe to me at the time, but I think it was the stupid steering wheel motion they made with their hands. Too bad they called that show Turbo and wasted the name Overdrive on an even less enjoyable show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

deadly_pudding posted:

You can watch the episodes a day after they air on the nick.com website. If it asks for a cable provider and password you can just click on Xfinity and it'll bypass the bs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The one thing I wish PR adapted was the role call.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

No love for "Let's Rocket/Rock It!"?

I'm pretty sure that everyone skips In Space because, ya know, it's In Space and objectively nothing in it has (or can be) surpassed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tae posted:

The one thing I wish PR adapted was the role call.

They do it occasionally, but usually only when the Sentai makes a bigger than normal deal of it. Jungle Fury/Gekiranger stood out, as did Wild Force/Gaoranger in that respect.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I like "Magical Source, Mystic Force!" but I'm getting help for it.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
My favorite use of the morphing call-out, from Ninja Storm:

http://dai.ly/xxfi12?start=929

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Inkspot posted:

I like "Magical Source, Mystic Force!" but I'm getting help for it.
I mean, Mystic Force isn't bad, but I suspect everything I like about it is taken directly from Magiranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Truman Sticks posted:

My favorite use of the morphing call-out, from Ninja Storm:

http://dai.ly/xxfi12?start=929

I loved how bickery they started out.