Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Dongattack posted:

So I took my first passenger mission, it's to take a explorer out to visit a neutron star or something which is 14,708.19LY out (That's the number that pops up when i hover over it in the galaxy map at least). It's really quite the distance, I've never traveled that far and I'm wondering if it's gonna be tight if I only play ca 1-2 hours a day? I'm in a Asp Explorer with the second best FTL kitted for exploration.

Difficult to gauge maybe, but I'd be happy for some calculated guesses.

edit: my jumprange is 25.56LY
edit: gently caress me, forgot to include the most important information, the contract limit is 3 weeks and 5 days

I know its ~reddit~ but https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5pewtk/made_200mil_in_5_days_while_having_fun_no_exploits/ looks promising. 12k LY is a huge trip and probably not worth it at all. Also what everyone else said engineer an A-rated FSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

So I took my first passenger mission, it's to take a explorer out to visit a neutron star or something which is 14,708.19LY out (That's the number that pops up when i hover over it in the galaxy map at least). It's really quite the distance, I've never traveled that far and I'm wondering if it's gonna be tight if I only play ca 1-2 hours a day? I'm in a Asp Explorer with the second best FTL kitted for exploration.

edit: gently caress me, forgot to include the most important information, the contract limit is 3 weeks and 5 days

If you play relaxed and not scan everything on your way (I calculated with an average of 3 minutes per system), that works out to about 32 hours, rounded up. As long as you reach an average of at least 1,25 hours a day, you should make it.

If you A-rank and engineer your FSD a bit, that changes down to where 50 minutes playtime per day should be enough.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dongattack posted:

If you can find a chain of Neutron Stars you can probably do it in under two week playing each day for a few hours since even with a 25ly jump range they will boost it enough to be able to cover large distances somewhat fast. You will need an Auto-Field Maintenance Unit to avoid your FSD breaking while in one of the cones and likely killing you.
The problem is finding one and not getting stranded between the galactic arms if you go towards the center.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Cool cool, I'll continue on this epic journey until I get bored then and then turn around and get a engineered A rank FSD. The contract pays out 9mill so now that I grasp at least a little bit more how much work I have to put in for those 9mill I'm starting to think it might not be worth it just yet.

So neutron stars boost your jumprange? I've not actually seen one yet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

Cool cool, I'll continue on this epic journey until I get bored then and then turn around and get a engineered A rank FSD. The contract pays out 9mill so now that I grasp at least a little bit more how much work I have to put in for those 9mill I'm starting to think it might not be worth it just yet.

So neutron stars boost your jumprange? I've not actually seen one yet.

They look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Gg_F7MXQw

They boost your jump range by 300% for one jump, so your 25,56 turns into 102,24 for your next jump.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I keep seeing posts about how to correctly slip into a neutron boost stream and how dangerous it is. I've been tooling around the boosts available in the bubble and, well, are there harder stars to get boosts off of or are a lot of people taking way too many risks doing this? In a Type-9 and Python, I've been able to quickly charge by just skimming through the very, very end of the stream—sometimes facing the star, sometimes just passing through side to side—and haven't incurred any damage at all or even been rocked around that much. Like, I'm alt-tabbed sitting in one right now and my ship is just barely wiggling while I get FSD warnings but take no damage to it.

e: four or five minutes of sitting did eventually drop my FSD 1%, welp.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 23, 2017

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Lighter ships get tossed around a lot harder.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sard posted:

I keep seeing posts about how to correctly slip into a neutron boost stream and how dangerous it is. I've been tooling around the boosts available in the bubble and, well, are there harder stars to get boosts off of or are a lot of people taking way too many risks doing this? In a Type-9 and Python, I've been able to quickly charge by just skimming through the very, very end of the stream—sometimes facing the star, sometimes just passing through side to side—and haven't incurred any damage at all or even been rocked around that much. Like, I'm alt-tabbed sitting in one right now and my ship is just barely wiggling while I get FSD warnings but take no damage to it.

e: four or five minutes of sitting did eventually drop my FSD 1%, welp.

what type of damage would you like to see, sard?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I'm just asking if there are rougher stars or if these guides are exaggerating the danger and giving bad advice by telling people to slot into the stream closer than they need to.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sard posted:

I'm just asking if there are rougher stars or if these guides are exaggerating the danger and giving bad advice by telling people to slot into the stream closer than they need to.

You can jump thousands of light years at once by threading the needle through a black hole. Guaranteed.

Well I suppose it's kind of dependant on the last station you visited but we'll keep that in the small print nobody reads.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I don't get all the praise for neutron star boosts. I mean, it's only a 300% boost to jump range; i.e., making 3 jumps at once.

I mean, I can see how they'd be very useful for getting to otherwise unreachable places. And riding the cones can be fun. But in my everyday travels, it's not like they're actually saving me a tremendous amount of time. If I see a neutron star, I'm going to take the time to stop and scan it, then I have to line up for a minimal damage approach, then I have to re-plot my next jump to account for the boost. In the end, is it really faster than three simple, pre-plotted, non-boosted honk-n-jumps? Maybe a little...? But even if it shaves ten or twenty seconds off the time it takes me to cross a few hundred LY, when I factor in the extra work I have to do (and the extent to which it interrupts the rhythm of my exploration workflow, the cost-benefit ain't great.

Am I missing something truly amazing about neutron boostin' here?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 23, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

For one, it's four jumps… :D

…and it also breaks up the monotony, especially if you're honking everything.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Honking everything makes sense when you're burning to a specific destination and just want to get there but I liked to look at literally everything once I "stopped" to take in the sights.

Even the lovely rock and ice planets nobody likes. Maybe not the asteroid fields though. gently caress those.

I'm at the point now where I'm just scouring everywhere looking for high emission USS. I've found zero even in boom billion population systems so gently caress it, I'm going to fart around Sol.
Got a lot of good stuff for tier 4 upgrades at least, so.... close enough I guess. Sigh.

Proto-materials :argh:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 23, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you get inside those pulsar stars, the stars themselves, and activate your FSD you get 10x instead of 3x the jump range.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

I don't get all the praise for neutron star boosts. I mean, it's only a 300% boost to jump range; i.e., making 3 jumps at once.

I mean, I can see how they'd be very useful for getting to otherwise unreachable places. And riding the cones can be fun. But in my everyday travels, it's not like they're actually saving me a tremendous amount of time. If I see a neutron star, I'm going to take the time to stop and scan it, then I have to line up for a minimal damage approach, then I have to re-plot my next jump to account for the boost. In the end, is it really faster than three simple, pre-plotted, non-boosted honk-n-jumps? Maybe a little...? But even if it shaves ten or twenty seconds off the time it takes me to cross a few hundred LY, when I factor in the extra work I have to do (and the extent to which it interrupts the rhythm of my exploration workflow, the cost-benefit ain't great.

Am I missing something truly amazing about neutron boostin' here?
Once you get the hang of it, it is faster.
For reference with a 38ishly Asp doing only the minimum honking&scooping while chaining jumps I would cover about 1kly an hour; chaining neutron jumps, I can cover that same distance in less than half the time on an Anaconda (which is much more sluggish in SC) with 36ly jump range taking into account having to stop to keep my FSD topped.

edit: had the jump ranges a bit off. Corrected now.

edit2: for reference I just did over 3kly in about an hour.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 23, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

my 45LY asp can get 180+ boosted which is like 4.5 jumps? 190+ if I'm running on fumes but there's a weird bug with the route plotter on the galaxy map where it throws up "plotting failed" if you try to jump farther than 180 LY even if you have the fuel and the range to do so.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

my 45LY asp can get 180+ boosted which is like 4.5 jumps? 190+ if I'm running on fumes but there's a weird bug with the route plotter on the galaxy map where it throws up "plotting failed" if you try to jump farther than 180 LY even if you have the fuel and the range to do so.

If that happens you can still make those jumps if you just target the stars instead of trying to plot a route to them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Libluini posted:

If that happens you can still make those jumps if you just target the stars instead of trying to plot a route to them.

Yeah I figured that out shortly after posting. whoops :downs:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So how do you guys paticipate in the alien ruins CG?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

With a 45LY asp, I could cover 1k ly in about 20 minutes with a 6A scoop, routing by scoopables and ignoring neutrons. Jump in, swing around the star while scooping and I'm full before i'm even lined up with destination, honk while scooping, once temps start to fall, charge up and jump. I can see it taking an hour if you stop, scan the star, honk, check system map for anything interesting, then move on.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

dumb and kinda scared posted:

It's already over, but you can still get the mission from Ram Tah that has a potential payout of 100m once they reveal the other alien sites.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah in the Sothis days I averaged about 1 minute per system in my poophaul conda, which isn't much slower than what you're describing. If it takes an hour, that's 2-3 minutes which I guess can happen if you're scanning instead of just honking, or by having a smaller fuel scoop.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Another important thing to keep in mind with Neutron Stars: they cut down on loading screens, which on their own can add a non-inconsiderable amount of time that could've been skipped otherwise.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If you're not planing to land, use the non-horizons client

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Flying 5k LY out and back was more fun than farming unknown fragments.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
How do jet and crafted FSD boosts stack? I've never made a point of collecting the materials for it, can my 50ly asp jump 400ly if I stack the two mechanics?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No they don't stack

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

illectro posted:

How do jet and crafted FSD boosts stack? I've never made a point of collecting the materials for it, can my 50ly asp jump 400ly if I stack the two mechanics?

When I tried it, they didn't stack. 50% boost + neutron surfing just resulted in the regular neutron boost.

I didn't try it beyond that so I don't know if it was a case of keeping the better boost or if it was the last boost overwriting the previous one.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

illectro posted:

Parallelwoody posted:

No they don't stack
This: the Supercharge overrides the Synthesis FSD Boosts.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
I was thinking of getting a new machine:

core 2 quad (2.40 gh each), 8 gigs of ram, and a 2gb nvidia (card undecided) how would this run elite? bearing in mind i'm not some constant 60 fps 1080 p sperg.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Dock at a station in Meene. You will automatically be given the quest and Ram Tah will install new software into your spaceship without your permission. Don't go to Ram Tah's engineer base to get the CG mission - you can only turn it in at the station you received it at and there is no mission board there.

Fly out to Synuefe XR-H D11-102. The ruins are on Planet 1B at coords -31.7877, -128.9711. Note that because FD is UK the coordinates are backwards from what we expect in the US. There are no bookmarks, quest markers or POI. You just have to fly there manually using landmarks and the compass.

At the site you will need to drive around in your moon buggy to find collect the artifacts scattered about them. You should probably do this part in solo mode to ensure that they'll actually be there and not picked up/destroyed by someone else. Bring them to your ship. There are five different artifacts to collect: Urn, Totem, Casket, Orb, Tablet, Relic.

All around the ruins are obelisks. Some of them glow. What you need to do is drive up to them with the correct combination of artifacts in your moonbuggy cargo and scan them. If you have the right combination you'll get a loredump.txt about the guardians and their fascinating culture and your reward will be increased by 1mil. If you don't have the right combination of artifacts Ram Tah will send you an annoying message saying you are doing it wrong. Here is a webpage showing the layout of the ruins and the necessary combinations for the obelisks http://www.nusantara.com.my/EliteDangerous/ruins1.html

Different obelisks will light up because ~reasons~ and ~bugs~. Apparently only 13-15 obelisks are supposed to activate at this site, which is what happens in solo mode. In open play everything goes wonky and different obelisks will activate, allowing you to get up to 36 pieces of lore. You can also get lore just by hovering over the site with the artifacts in your ship hold while other commanders do the work of scanning the obelisks.

Current theory is that there are 108 pieces of lore that you'll need to collect to complete the mission. There's probably other ruins, we don't know where they are. Even if we know the system/planet it's still a longshot to be able to find any without coordinates as they are only visible from a few km and planets are kind of big. Hopefully the recent CG that was completed will give us some locations to look.

You can currently turn in the reward at the station where you received the quest, getting 1mil per each piece of lore you've recovered. You can then redock and you'll be given the quest again and you can repeat it. Or you can sit on it and wait for more ruins to be discovered.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Boogalo posted:

With a 45LY asp, I could cover 1k ly in about 20 minutes with a 6A scoop, routing by scoopables and ignoring neutrons. Jump in, swing around the star while scooping and I'm full before i'm even lined up with destination, honk while scooping, once temps start to fall, charge up and jump. I can see it taking an hour if you stop, scan the star, honk, check system map for anything interesting, then move on.

That's my current situation and standard operating procedure too, which I why I was skeptical about neutron stars being able to save me that much time. I'm even able to pull up the system map for a couple seconds as my temps are cooling and even that really doesn't slow me down unless the game's being laggy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, you should know what your boosted range is quite easily. When you land on a neutron star, pull up the galmap, plot your next waypoint (likely the next neutron star or 1000ly waypoint), then select a star that is along the plotted path at your neutron-star range. Fly through the cones and jump, you won't even have to replot your next jump after boosting if you selected a star already plotted! :eng101:

Even if you do select a star not on the plotted route, you just need to open the galmap and it will automatically replot to your next waypoint.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Is frontier planning on doing anything with asteroid belts? Currently they're just a tiny patch of rocks in one particular place as far as I can tell. Although a proper asteroid belt might just be beyond the limits of the engine.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

vorebane posted:

Is frontier planning on doing anything with asteroid belts? Currently they're just a tiny patch of rocks in one particular place as far as I can tell. Although a proper asteroid belt might just be beyond the limits of the engine.

My understanding is real asteroid belts have vast distances between the actual asteroids, so it makes sense they would only map small clusters.

Admittedly it would still be cool to have a very sparse ring along the orbit is with a chance of smashing into asteroids in SC or whatever but I doubt they're going to overhaul them. The technology is probably the though, maybe.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Matty posted:

I was thinking of getting a new machine:

core 2 quad (2.40 gh each), 8 gigs of ram, and a 2gb nvidia (card undecided) how would this run elite? bearing in mind i'm not some constant 60 fps 1080 p sperg.

The specifics of what card or cpu you get will matter a whole lot, like it's impossible to make any kind of educated guess without those. That said, I ran it fine on a 4 year old pc (i5 2500k, 760gt, 8gb ram) at mediumish settings at 1080p, though I did have some bad stuttering on certain planets.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Erm, how do I grind federation rank so I can get sweet box ships?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

If you aren't friends with Doctor Who and can't time travel to a year and a half ago when donation missions were cheap, plentiful and spammable then you're in for a long painful grind I'm sorry.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Asproigerosis posted:

In the discord, there is a name of a system for fed rank grinding. Lebedev is the station name and it has 2 fed factions there. They will spawn a bunch of data courier missions to take one system over. The station where you turn them in will give you courier missions back to Lebedev. All giving fed rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thanks for the excellent write-up. I got the mission but didn't know where to even begin.

• Locked thread