Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I was thinking I need to customize what alerts pause the game or whatever, it sounded like you can do that and I just need to adjust which things count...

Do you spend most of the game just click click click acknowledging minor alerts? Seems like the alert UI needs work. The major popups on the top left work way better.

It it's things you may want to know and you just get a sudden rush of them, there's a button to dismiss all alerts of a type. Right by the dismiss button. I can usually keep track of minor things I may want to see by glancing over as they appear and just doing the "dismiss all of type" thing every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I appreciate the responses. I went through all the tutorials but a game like this... its hard to know if you're even going about it right or if you're missing something or completely approaching it wrong.

So I hit a demesne limit... seems like a pretty big deal. Everybody hates me. So I gave some provinces to my vassals which helped, but feels REALLY bad. I just gained these lands and now I'm giving them away? I mean, I guess they're supposed to be loyal to me, but its still awkward. I guess that's the thing though, learning how to play your agents against each other and keep them working towards your own goals.

Having my vassals war each other feels bizzare. Historically I guess its accurate though. As a King am I just kinda supposed to allow my Dukes to go to war as they will? If this guy conquers that guy, whatever eh? Am I free to join either side, or is it against the rules for the king to play favorites? I did see how eventually you can pass laws to restrict that, but I'm not there yet.

Is there a way to like, invest or create a new vassal rather than giving lands to one of your existing ones?

Trying to pass a law to increase centralization now to increase my demesne limit some, but nobody's voting. Did a lot of work to make people like me more... but I still only have a few votes. Not sure if I need to just pass time or appease them more or what... hm...

Midnight Voyager posted:

It it's things you may want to know and you just get a sudden rush of them, there's a button to dismiss all alerts of a type. Right by the dismiss button. I can usually keep track of minor things I may want to see by glancing over as they appear and just doing the "dismiss all of type" thing every so often.

Yeah that sounds good

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

So I hit a demesne limit... seems like a pretty big deal. Everybody hates me. So I gave some provinces to my vassals which helped, but feels REALLY bad. I just gained these lands and now I'm giving them away? I mean, I guess they're supposed to be loyal to me, but its still awkward. I guess that's the thing though, learning how to play your agents against each other and keep them working towards your own goals.

Having my vassals war each other feels bizzare. Historically I guess its accurate though. As a King am I just kinda supposed to allow my Dukes to go to war as they will? If this guy conquers that guy, whatever eh? Am I free to join either side, or is it against the rules for the king to play favorites? I did see how eventually you can pass laws to restrict that, but I'm not there yet.

the thing that makes crusader kings unique and excellent is that it's not just a strategy mapgame, it's an involved human resources and conflict resolution / interpersonal drama generation engine. you're going to gain and lose land, don't worry about it - your dynasty's social status is more important

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there a way to like, invest or create a new vassal rather than giving lands to one of your existing ones?

yeah, you can grant land to anyone in your court. you should typically avoid granting land to your existing vassals because it makes them stronger. so long as you're under your vassal limit it's generally better to have ten weak vassals than three strong ones. old, childless members of court or celibate/eunuchs are good candidates because when they die, you inherit the title again and maybe you'll have a higher demense limit or some family to pass the title along to. for individual holdings there's a little "create vassal" button which will automatically generate a new vassal character, for when you've inherited a holding of the wrong type

for a king, rule of thumb is that you should hold two duchies and every county/barony in those duchies, to concentrate your personal levy. your dukes, on the other hand, should hold as few counties as possible within their duchies so that they have their own jerk vassals to deal with

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ I don't know, I find it easier to manage a few dukes than a few dozen earls. And dukes gain tech points and stuff.

Zaphod42 posted:

I appreciate the responses. I went through all the tutorials but a game like this... its hard to know if you're even going about it right or if you're missing something or completely approaching it wrong.

Trying to pass a law to increase centralization now to increase my demesne limit some, but nobody's voting. Did a lot of work to make people like me more... but I still only have a few votes. Not sure if I need to just pass time or appease them more or what... hm...

Yeah that sounds good

You need to start as a count (preferably Murchad of Mumu or Murchad of Dubhlinn in Ireland) rather than a duke or king. There's just too much going on at the king level for a new player.

As a count, you can just focus on a few mechanics for expansion like:
- Diplomacy and marriages for conquest
- Holding upgrades
- Casus Bellis
- Hear grooming

And the rest you kind of learn as you go and wiki it up.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Dukes, yes, but you don't want two dukes with four counties each, you want two dukes with one county and three earl vassals.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tuyop posted:

/\/\ I don't know, I find it easier to manage a few dukes than a few dozen earls. And dukes gain tech points and stuff.

You need to start as a count (preferably Murchad of Mumu or Murchad of Dubhlinn in Ireland) rather than a duke or king. There's just too much going on at the king level for a new player.

- Holding upgrades
- Casus Bellis
- Hear grooming

Yeah, I think you're right. I really wanted to jump in as King of Hungary and rule a proper country, do some diplomacy with other kings and cool crusading and stuff (its called Crusader Kings!) but it seems like I need to learn how to manage a dutchy before a kingdom.

I am getting it though, I'm a fast learner. But yeah, there's a lot at play here...

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Delegating power and managing your realm is a big facet of this game. Once you've hit your demesne limit, everything else will have to belong to vassals. As your realm grows larger, your own vassals can become as much of a threat to you as your neighbors if they become discontent.

You don't have to give land to existing vassals. You can grant titles to any unlanded character in the realm and they will become a new vassal. Open the character finder, filter for lowborn men with your same religion and culture, and pick ones with good stats who.

Having your vassals fight each other isn't that big a deal. You can't join a side, but you should be able to right click on them and ask them to make peace, which they will probably do if they like you.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

- Holding upgrades
- Casus Bellis
- Hear grooming

Murchad of Mumu is a duke, actually, though he only has one vassal so that plus the other Ireland stuff makes him easy. (He's also kind of a king too; dukes without a ruler are called petty kings.) Dukes aren't that tricky, anyway. Kings though, yeah, would not recommend that to a new player. Start small and learn the way the game works so you aren't struggling with that and the difficulties that come with being a king, etc. So, yeah, either Murchad is a fine start. I like the Mumu one a bit better, personally, though; you start a bit bigger and are able to expand before claims get fabricated.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 24, 2017

Huckleduck
May 20, 2007
giving you the hucklebuck

Various Meat Products posted:

Delegating power and managing your realm is a big facet of this game. Once you've hit your demesne limit, everything else will have to belong to vassals. As your realm grows larger, your own vassals can become as much of a threat to you as your neighbors if they become discontent.

You don't have to give land to existing vassals. You can grant titles to any unlanded character in the realm and they will become a new vassal. Open the character finder, filter for lowborn men with your same religion and culture, and pick ones with good stats who.

Having your vassals fight each other isn't that big a deal. You can't join a side, but you should be able to right click on them and ask them to make peace, which they will probably do if they like you.

This is CK2 wisdom right here.

You should be trying to keep your vassals as weak as possible. As you move up in power, you can have stronger vassals. If you're a duke, make sure you have the strongest counties. If you're a king, have the best duchies and keep your dukes oppressed by giving away lands in their duchies to unlanded courtiers (your dynasty but not title claimants, preferably) and then transferring the county to be their vassal (or another duke's vassal, even). When you become emperor, you can have a megaduke or a king (preferably as a viceroy) or more.

Your powerful vassals will ruin your poo poo if you die with a young heir. Prop up your heir's prestige by giving them honorary titles, appointments to commander, etc - vassals respect prestige.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

You should keep an eye on vassals that are fighting their neighbours a lot, as well. They may be trying to expand their demense - as mentioned above, a duke with one county and three vassals is better than a duke with four counties, and the AI loves to gobble up territory if it can swing claims for it. If they start getting really big, don't be afraid to build up a bit of tyranny to revoke titles or imprison them - a bit of trouble now is much better than the problems they and their descendants will cause for you later if you let them grow unchecked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Started a game as petty king Murchad of Mumu (after googling where the hell he was and what time period) and its going much smoother since I'm not managing a whole kingdom, probably the right call.

Conquered the province to the south, as seemed like the obvious first play since I have a de jour claim on it. Wiped their army off the map... but then had to stand around in his lands which were kinda contested mine-and-theirs, and it took several years before they finally agreed to peace and to be my vassal (which I had offered before declaring war, but he didn't accept)

How long does it take for lands to actually permanently pass to your ownership? If he hadn't offered peace I feel like I'd spend 20 years trying to hold that single territory.

This game is sure growing on me:

:allears: Today I used a poop-bomb to kill a Bishop who wouldn't serve me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Zero One posted:

Speaking of...

Is there a way to get a list of children in your court who are not wards to someone? Seems like I'm always getting alerts for events to give kids traits but I can never see they are being raised by me (they don't show up as my wards but I show up on their page as guardian).

Post-Conclave, kids just pick the "best" character in their court to be their Educator, the don't need to be assigned a Guardian unless you really want a particular character to educate another, which is why they don't show as your wards. On the downside, players often select for good-stats rulers which makes them popular Educators.

I think it might be better for kids to automatically pick an education and allow the Educator to change it once if desired and only alert you about your own kids or Heir, but I haven't had time to change it yet.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You should keep an eye on vassals that are fighting their neighbours a lot, as well. They may be trying to expand their demense - as mentioned above, a duke with one county and three vassals is better than a duke with four counties, and the AI loves to gobble up territory if it can swing claims for it. If they start getting really big, don't be afraid to build up a bit of tyranny to revoke titles or imprison them - a bit of trouble now is much better than the problems they and their descendants will cause for you later if you let them grow unchecked.

Yeah, ideally you have every county held by a different count, and dukes controlling one county with their other de jure counties as vassals. This can be a lot easier to achieve when you start small and build up your realm manually, since you get to divide things up however you want. This is one of the reasons kings are bad starts for new players, since a lot of the starting kings have very strong vassals with multiple duchies and awful internal borders.

Zaphod42 posted:

Conquered the province to the south, as seemed like the obvious first play since I have a de jour claim on it. Wiped their army off the map... but then had to stand around in his lands which were kinda contested mine-and-theirs, and it took several years before they finally agreed to peace and to be my vassal (which I had offered before declaring war, but he didn't accept)

How long does it take for lands to actually permanently pass to your ownership? If he hadn't offered peace I feel like I'd spend 20 years trying to hold that single territory.

Are you talking about sieging? You can only get a certain amount of war score from battles, you'll need to siege down the holdings in the target territory in order to run up your score. Once you've done enough damage to reach 100% you can enforce your demands.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Sometimes I give duchy titles where someone else (not my vassal) owns counties in to an ambitious vassal so he can press the de jure claims. That way I don't have to wage a war and my kingdom expands. They might get too strong, but we'll deal with that when it happens (:ese:).

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Another nice thing about ambitious duke and king vassals is sometimes they'll declare holy wars on their own. My current save of the Fylkirate (Norse Empire of Francia) has half of Scandanavia and Ireland, and I don't even have to declare great holy wars, the vassal kings do it themselves. Of course, you have to deal with vassal kings, but the great thing about Francia is they can be Viceroys, so gently caress 'em. If the empire isn't too big by the time I get viceroyal dukes, I can probably just destroy those titles and make those people totally powerless.

Has anyone else who's managed seriously large blobs noticed that vassal kings actually make it easier to get troops around? Especially if you're completely negligent and let the borders get all hosed up. I remember this time I was in a perfect position to invade Lotharingia because all vassal kings managed to conquer equal sections of the Frisian coast. That meant I had ~45k troops on the northern shores of Lotharingia from the moment I declared war. I mean, yeah, you have to deal with vassal kings but I'm sure there are tons of ways to game the system. I've thought about granting vassal kings baronies in my capital counties. Fucks up my tax rates, but I think it means I could have the entire royal army and navy in the same place at once. Will submit test results when complete.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Another nice thing about ambitious duke and king vassals is sometimes they'll declare holy wars on their own. My current save of the Fylkirate (Norse Empire of Francia) has half of Scandanavia and Ireland, and I don't even have to declare great holy wars, the vassal kings do it themselves. Of course, you have to deal with vassal kings, but the great thing about Francia is they can be Viceroys, so gently caress 'em. If the empire isn't too big by the time I get viceroyal dukes, I can probably just destroy those titles and make those people totally powerless.

Has anyone else who's managed seriously large blobs noticed that vassal kings actually make it easier to get troops around? Especially if you're completely negligent and let the borders get all hosed up. I remember this time I was in a perfect position to invade Lotharingia because all vassal kings managed to conquer equal sections of the Frisian coast. That meant I had ~45k troops on the northern shores of Lotharingia from the moment I declared war. I mean, yeah, you have to deal with vassal kings but I'm sure there are tons of ways to game the system. I've thought about granting vassal kings baronies in my capital counties. Fucks up my tax rates, but I think it means I could have the entire royal army and navy in the same place at once. Will submit test results when complete.

The issue with doing it the hosed up border way is that you end up creating a situation where you have a shitload of ridiculously strong vassals who all have de jure claims on each other, and then they just fight all the time, hurting your levies and income all the time. I like doing it with pretty borders. When you're dealing with a large scale empire, you don't really need to have every single soldier in one place. Usually two or three vassal kings worth of levies is enough to fend off most threats, and you can do that pretty much anywhere. I got crusaded yesterday, and I raised Africa, Syria, Greece, Anatolia, and Italy. That was like 60k+ men, not including my retinue. I didn't even need to bother with my Persian vassal and the other vassal kings in India or the steppe. If you've got huge chunks of vassal held territory all throughout your realm, than anywhere an enemy shows up, he's going to have to come into territory where you can raise a massive army, with reinforcements close by from neighboring vassal kings. It makes it very easy to respond to even major raid attempts anywhere in a large realm immediately, and also gives you the ability to raise up support for an invading force on the outside edge of anywhere in your realm immediately after declaring war.

Also, the #1 biggest thing to worry about when you start getting buried in a bunch of vassal kings is to have as high a personal levy as you possibly can to keep faction strength percentages down during successions. Your capital county gets a levy boost, so you should personally control every barony in it. Not to mention that if you then put your Marshal on your capital, it will boost the levies of a bunch of your baronies instead of just one. So I definitely wouldn't recommend handing them off to vassals. They'd probably decide they want your capital county since they have a holding there, and would get pissy because you won't give it to them too.

If you insist on doing something like what you're suggesting, I'd say your best bet would be to pick a duchy or two that neighbor your capital duchy and have plenty of coastal counties, and then hand those counties off to your different vassal kings to form a staging area.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 24, 2017

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

AtillatheBum posted:

I'm just coming back to this game after a long break and was wondering if that mod that broke up all the kingdoms and empires is still around in some form? Basically the mod just made every single province on the map an independent county with maybe a handful of dukes scattered across the whole map. It was a lot of fun when I played way back when just to see what would happen and how the world would form without the big boys around.

Pretty sure Shattered World is still about, yeah. I'm playing a game from back in pre-Reaper's Due times with it and Random Hordes on and it's pretty interesting. Different Spanish factions keep threatening to form Hispania before splintering.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Okay, this is definitely one of the weirder games I've played. Started as one of those tribal leaders along the Vistula, with the plan of just chilling out and making regular old Poland. At some point, my chief got cancer, and it tripped the event to search all the world for a renowned physician. Dude turns out to be Muslim, and after multiple failed attempts to cure my cancer, an event triggers where he says "I've tried everything except Allah. If you become a Muslim, maybe I can save your life."

Well hell I said, what's the worst that could happen.

Turns out, hussars + muslim invasion CB + european location with lots of catholics nearby leads to some pretty ridiculous poo poo. The Catholics will gang up on you if you use any of your decent CBs, but that's good because it stops your dukes from getting anything new, but doesn't actually mean much to you, the player. The sheer number of high-quality light cav at your disposal means you can defeat much larger armies (we're talking 1.5x larger on normal terrain, 2-3x if you use hills and rivers) and you'll absolutely wreck them in pursuit. Seriously, hussars managed to stop the mongol doomstacks dead in their tracks.

As well as the obvious pink empire, Sweden and Pannonia are Muslim-Polish. Next I'm going after Rus.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Strategic troop access used to be a big deal in the original and when the game first came out and was often worth making vassals as big as you could get them. But with retinues now, vassal levies become 2nd string by the time you get to king let alone emperor level.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Darkrenown posted:

Post-Conclave, kids just pick the "best" character in their court to be their Educator, the don't need to be assigned a Guardian unless you really want a particular character to educate another, which is why they don't show as your wards. On the downside, players often select for good-stats rulers which makes them popular Educators.

I think it might be better for kids to automatically pick an education and allow the Educator to change it once if desired and only alert you about your own kids or Heir, but I haven't had time to change it yet.

That would be cool too. The constant education alert spam when you have a large court gets annoying.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012

Volkerball posted:

The issue with doing it the hosed up border way is that you end up creating a situation where you have a shitload of ridiculously strong vassals who all have de jure claims on each other, and then they just fight all the time, hurting your levies and income all the time. I like doing it with pretty borders. When you're dealing with a large scale empire, you don't really need to have every single soldier in one place. Usually two or three vassal kings worth of levies is enough to fend off most threats, and you can do that pretty much anywhere. I got crusaded yesterday, and I raised Africa, Syria, Greece, Anatolia, and Italy. That was like 60k+ men, not including my retinue. I didn't even need to bother with my Persian vassal and the other vassal kings in India or the steppe. If you've got huge chunks of vassal held territory all throughout your realm, than anywhere an enemy shows up, he's going to have to come into territory where you can raise a massive army, with reinforcements close by from neighboring vassal kings. It makes it very easy to respond to even major raid attempts anywhere in a large realm immediately, and also gives you the ability to raise up support for an invading force on the outside edge of anywhere in your realm immediately after declaring war.

Also, the #1 biggest thing to worry about when you start getting buried in a bunch of vassal kings is to have as high a personal levy as you possibly can to keep faction strength percentages down during successions. Your capital county gets a levy boost, so you should personally control every barony in it. Not to mention that if you then put your Marshal on your capital, it will boost the levies of a bunch of your baronies instead of just one. So I definitely wouldn't recommend handing them off to vassals. They'd probably decide they want your capital county since they have a holding there, and would get pissy because you won't give it to them too.

If you insist on doing something like what you're suggesting, I'd say your best bet would be to pick a duchy or two that neighbor your capital duchy and have plenty of coastal counties, and then hand those counties off to your different vassal kings to form a staging area.

Ages and ages ago i did a "Welsh sayyid, saoshyant descendant, augustus, fylkir, of house Haesteinn" run, where I personally held the duchy of Sicily, established a merchant republic in Napoli (If Venice had been under threat or destroyed, I would have set another up in Benveneto) and handed the rest of the de jure kingdom of Sicily's counties out to priests whose vassalage I then transferred to each of my vassal kings.
Which meant I was able to raise all the troops of England or Germany or whoever right in the middle of the Mediterranean and with hundreds of boats right there ready to go.
Because they were theocracies they didn't seem cause much politicking, the priests just sat there and the kings were all too busy fighting over duchies and kingdoms or doing planned invasions to bother messing up the boot.

And while vassal management back then was just a case of building more longbows, I think the basic structure should still work. In fact, now that it would be possible to get a seventh holding in Palermo I think I might have to have another go.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

You can also readily create new vassals in the intrigue screen as needed. This is a good idea as you want new vassals to be low born so there isn't a dynasty to try to take the land. The more dynasties in your kingdom the better. You do NOT want a vassal dynasty bigger than yours. The big one is "invite holy man." It costs 25 piety and he can be turned into whatever government type you need.

It's also massively useful to create pocket theocracies in the duchies near your own. They are stable as hell and don't deal with feudal inheritance nonsense. Pet republics are similar but tend to be more ambitious. However feudal and Republic governments get opinion maluses. Theocracy does not.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You can also readily create new vassals in the intrigue screen as needed. This is a good idea as you want new vassals to be low born so there isn't a dynasty to try to take the land. The more dynasties in your kingdom the better. You do NOT want a vassal dynasty bigger than yours. The big one is "invite holy man." It costs 25 piety and he can be turned into whatever government type you need.

Why spend money/piety creating courtiers when there are perfectly good lowborn dudes already hanging out in courts around my realm?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Do people not seem to know/use the "create vassal" on barony level holdings in general? you then grant the country to the baron, whether priest or baron or mayor and it's free and convenient?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

My procedure for giving out a newly conquered county goes like this:

Create-a-vassal on the temple (since you get piety from temple grants)
Pick a lowborn man from the character finder with good martial/stewardship (having 9+ stewardship is important if you're trying to convert the local culture)
Grant him the county and the lower holdings along with it (I don't care about the other baron-level guys, and you get a bigger opinion bonus)
The new vassal will give away any cities you gave him, and keep any barony castles, at least until gavelkind splits it off

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Do people not seem to know/use the "create vassal" on barony level holdings in general? you then grant the country to the baron, whether priest or baron or mayor and it's free and convenient?

This is a fine, quick-and-dirty way to do it, but I'd rather hand-pick good candidates than just roll the dice.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 24, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I do this for everyone but the vassal king. He's hand selected. I manually go through and create vassals for temples and cities through this method, then give all the titles in the county to the baron I created, that way if there's more than one barony in the county, he's got them all, and there's no republic/theocracy fuckery because he never touches a temple or a city. Feudal isn't such a big deal, but occasionally a blanket grant of everything in a tribal country will have the vassal taking the temple holding as his primary title.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Open character finder, find "content", make sure at least one content guy is in each duchy to get the duke title. I usually assign random courtiers titles instead of autogenerate because you know what traits are going to be there so you can get a content duke and give him decent counts to keep the pyramid scheme oiled up enough and squirrel all the hopeless folks as barons.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Why spend money/piety creating courtiers when there are perfectly good lowborn dudes already hanging out in courts around my realm?

You don't always have those. My current game just plain never has enough. I'm also a republic so the primary title is the city by default. Gotta get new mayors somewhere!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I'm looking for some advice:

I haven't played the game since before Charlemagne and my buddy hasn't played the game period. We're gonna do some multiplayer to get his feet wet. He's planning to do Norse shenanigans. Old Gods start date. Now here's my question:

All this tribal poo poo is new to me. Would it be possible to start as tribals somewhere in the British Isles at Old Gods start date and convert into a Merchant Republic from there? Because that's my rough game plan but I'm unsure how doable it is :v:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

My procedure for giving out a newly conquered county goes like this:

Create-a-vassal on the temple (since you get piety from temple grants)
Pick a lowborn man from the character finder with good martial/stewardship (having 9+ stewardship is important if you're trying to convert the local culture)
Grant him the county and the lower holdings along with it (I don't care about the other baron-level guys, and you get a bigger opinion bonus)
The new vassal will give away any cities you gave him, and keep any barony castles, at least until gavelkind splits it off

This is a fine, quick-and-dirty way to do it, but I'd rather hand-pick good candidates than just roll the dice.

This is smart, and I do something similar. I will point out the obvious though:

1. If you are keeping any of the counties I use lower titles to poach unlanded people with high skills that I may want to use as counselors who aren't in my court--this includes giving counties to my vassals' barons; however, with the council changes the game does not reward min-maxing your counselors like it used to.

2. If you have any annoying people you absolutely want to remove from succession, give them a temple!

3. If you have any people that annoy you, but you don't want to/cant kill, give them a barony, city, or temple that you're ultimately going to hand over to a new vassal.

4. When you're choosing new Dukes (or counts for whom you will be their direct liege) remember: (a) people with the content or coward traits are far less likely to plot against you or join factions; and (b) never give a title directly under you to someone who has the ambitious trait.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The only thing I'd add is to try to install zealot vassals when you're encroaching on a neighbour who doesn't share your religion.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

I haven't played the game since before Charlemagne and my buddy hasn't played the game period. We're gonna do some multiplayer to get his feet wet. He's planning to do Norse shenanigans. Old Gods start date. Now here's my question:

All this tribal poo poo is new to me. Would it be possible to start as tribals somewhere in the British Isles at Old Gods start date and convert into a Merchant Republic from there? Because that's my rough game plan but I'm unsure how doable it is :v:

You can turn any tribe into a merchant republic. The only requirements are that you have your market village upgraded all the way, are not an unreformed pagan (so being Catholic is fine), and have absolute tribal authority. It's actually easier to upgrade from tribal as a Christian because you don't need to reform first.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kidnap a Christian concubine, get up to city tech 1 and merchant luv 1, get your dumb council to vote up to absolute tribal power or whaever,

no wait you're talking about being a Catholic and doing it? In which case pick that guy in the upper part that has a decent dynasty, then just build poo poo and fabricate on the one last county to form Ulster. Remember that you can raid your fellow catholics and burn down their temples for money and that you only need to fully upgrade your capital, when you turn merchant republic all your holdings convert anyway.

make sure you bank a bit of cash before hand, at least enough to hire a merc band for a bit because your levies will be poo poo for a bit. Repaying the jews aint a bad goal to do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Are you talking about sieging? You can only get a certain amount of war score from battles, you'll need to siege down the holdings in the target territory in order to run up your score. Once you've done enough damage to reach 100% you can enforce your demands.

I sieged their town but nothing happened, and then my army started sieging again right away, which makes no sense to me. Finally after sieging the castle like 5 times they gave up and asked for peace.

What's that about? Seems like after the first siege, the castle should be loving mine. I should get to loot and pillage the city or occupy it, I don't get why we just like leave the city and then turn around and attack it again?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Zaphod42 posted:

I sieged their town but nothing happened, and then my army started sieging again right away, which makes no sense to me. Finally after sieging the castle like 5 times they gave up and asked for peace.

What's that about? Seems like after the first siege, the castle should be loving mine. I should get to loot and pillage the city or occupy it, I don't get why we just like leave the city and then turn around and attack it again?

Each territory has 1-7 Holdings. Holdings are Temples, Castles and Cities. Each is considered a separate target, and each must be sieged down separately. This makes sense in that they aren't all grouped together, they're spread out across the countryside. The City Holding isn't just a town outside a castle, it's a city miles away from the castle with its own walls and garrison. Similarly, the Church is a freestanding, walled and defended complex, not just a church inside a city or castle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Each territory has 1-7 Holdings. Holdings are Temples, Castles and Cities. Each is considered a separate target, and each must be sieged down separately. This makes sense in that they aren't all grouped together, they're spread out across the countryside. The City Holding isn't just a town outside a castle, it's a city miles away from the castle with its own walls and garrison. Similarly, the Church is a freestanding, walled and defended complex, not just a church inside a city or castle.

Ah okay that does make sense then, so I was sieging the castle, then the town, then the church, okay. Yeah I understand they're separate towns, since you have separate mayors or dukes.

Is there a way to pick which one you attack? Or know which one you're currently attacking and which you've defeated? Probably some tiny icons that I overlooked...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is that Asturias chilling in Britain? :psyduck:

Apart from that, that is one of the neatest late-game CK2 maps I've ever seen. The pretty borders faction is pleased.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah okay that does make sense then, so I was sieging the castle, then the town, then the church, okay. Yeah I understand they're separate towns, since you have separate mayors or dukes.

Is there a way to pick which one you attack? Or know which one you're currently attacking and which you've defeated? Probably some tiny icons that I overlooked...

You always start with the primary holding. After that, I think it goes from left to right in order, but I am not positive. During the siege, it will say Siege of X, where X is the name of the holding being sieged, so you can check that way

In other news, does anyone know if the Aztecs get the High American tech group if you have Sunset Invasion enabled in the launcher, but Off via Rules?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I usually take a few generations to focus solely on building a juggernaut demesne before turning my attention to expansion. I WANT my rear end in a top hat vassals to rebel. It's good to kick off every new reign by utterly crushing all comers and throwing all the assholes in the oubliette for the rest of their lives. Leave no doubt in anyone's mind who is the loving boss. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eric the Mauve posted:

I usually take a few generations to focus solely on building a juggernaut demesne before turning my attention to expansion. I WANT my rear end in a top hat vassals to rebel. It's good to kick off every new reign by utterly crushing all comers and throwing all the assholes in the oubliette for the rest of their lives. Leave no doubt in anyone's mind who is the loving boss. :black101:

Imprisoning somebody for treason gives you a free revocation with no tyranny penalty.

That is insanely useful.

• Locked thread