Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Forgot the third problem: removing a province puts them below the province demand, so loyalty doesn't tick up anymore. Or does it always revert towards 50, just slower?

If they don't have enough provinces, they will constantly lose loyalty all the way down to zero. If you're in the situation you described, you're better off revoking all of their provinces to try to minimize their influence and the effects of disloyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Huh, well that is not intuitive but good to know

Any modifier you see in the game that's -1000 isn't actually a real -1000 modifier (the possible exception being AE, but it would be exceedingly difficult to ever reach that, highest I've ever seen is like 800), it's used when you're hard locked out of something for not meeting the minimum conditions. So you see it in places like alliance offers with low trust, how electors view Republican or non-Christian rulers, etc.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Europa Universalis IV: Huh, well that is not intuitive but good to know.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deathbagel posted:

I hear a lot of players say this, so I figure I must be playing the game much differently than most. I am always scraping for every diplo point I can get my grubby paws on. I decided to play my latest game as France, since I haven't played them in ages, and immediately royal married both Aragon and Castile since they both have old monarchs and both had no heir. Aragon's king died so I convince Castile to help me claim their throne and promise them land. We beat up Aragon and I force the union and get him and Naples, then Castile gets angry at me for not giving them land and breaks our alliance and rivals me. So then Aragon and I take a bunch of land from them and Portugal and I release Galicia and immediately vassalize them. Then I start taking the northern African provinces since Aragon is able to produce claims, eventually release Tripoli as a vassal and force convert them to Catholic so they can start coring and converting the non-coastal African provinces. At this time I notice that The Palatinate has a 65 year old ruler and no heir so I throw a Royal Marriage at them and end up with a union a few months later. I annex Galicia after feeding them some of Portugal and then annex Naples and then force vassalize Portugal and notice that Lucca will accept vassalization, so I do that too. I then notice that Brunswick has no heir and is in his mid 60s.

So it's around 1550 and I have Aragon, Portugal, The Palatinate, Brunswick, Tripoli and just married and allied a 62 year old heir-less Brandenburg who has conquered a good chunk of the NE HRE. I'm annexing Aragon because I need all of the valuable coastlands that he currently has and that's eating 6 diplo points a month while being 1 over my relations cap eats another and even with a 3 point advisor I am losing 1 point a month until I finish annexing Aragon (probably around 1570)

Diplo points are hard when you claim thrones and force unions.

That math doesn't add up unless both A) diplo is not your national focus and B) your ruler's diplo score is really low. But if you're fighting desperately for every point of diplo then why isn't diplo your national focus?

You should also try to get your Power Projection up so that you get that sweet monarch point bonus. You're probably a great power already, so depending on your rank that's probably around +20 PP base. A combination of sending insults, declaring war, embargoing, and privateering your rivals should allow you to stay at >50 permanently, but it does require some work from time to time

It also sounds like you're not re-rolling your heirs, which can help a lot on average. Sure you may get a bad run of RNG, but I've never played a PU/vassal-heavy game where I was running into negative diplo unless I've been trying to integrate 2 vassals/PUs at the same time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Huh, well that is not intuitive but good to know.

It's kind of buried away but (assuming you have Cossacks. I totally forget how it worked before that) in the diplo screen, the third tab shows country attitudes, which includes trust as well as some other stuff like what provinces they want. When your trust on that meter is under a certain level*, it'll mean they'll never accept alliances, among other things.

Like I said before, it passively ticks towards neutral over time, as long as you're not rivaled or allied to them, so if you're willing to wait a long time, they'll eventually accept an alliance from you again. Alternatively yeah you can do things like return provinces to them to get trust back more rapidly, if there are provinces available to do that with.

*the numbers for things like trust, dip rep, army strength etc that you'll see whenever you're doing a diplomatic action aren't actually the numbers for the mechanics themselves, by the way, just what those numbers add as a modifier to the diplomatic action. You can have like +20 strength of alliance without your alliance consisting of 20 men, or +6 from dip rep while only having 3 dip rep. The game interface isn't intuitively laid out but once you know where to look for things, almost everything is displayed clearly.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 23, 2017

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

That math doesn't add up unless both A) diplo is not your national focus and B) your ruler's diplo score is really low. But if you're fighting desperately for every point of diplo then why isn't diplo your national focus?

You should also try to get your Power Projection up so that you get that sweet monarch point bonus. You're probably a great power already, so depending on your rank that's probably around +20 PP base. A combination of sending insults, declaring war, embargoing, and privateering your rivals should allow you to stay at >50 permanently, but it does require some work from time to time

It also sounds like you're not re-rolling your heirs, which can help a lot on average. Sure you may get a bad run of RNG, but I've never played a PU/vassal-heavy game where I was running into negative diplo unless I've been trying to integrate 2 vassals/PUs at the same time.

Diplo is the national focus, I only have one valid rival (the Ottomans, who are only about 1/2 as big as me) I'm the #1 Great Power but just dipped under 50PP due to only having one rival and not being over by him to smash armies with him yet, he hasn't taken any of Africa or even the Levant area yet.

Yea, my last three rulers have had awful diplo scores, current one is a 4/0/6 and before that was a 5/1/5. Diplo is my focus and has been for a while. So I am currently getting:

+0 - ruler
+3 - base
+3 - advisor
+2 - national focus

-7 - annexing Aragon (I have a ton of Diplo Rep currently)
-2 - over relations limit by 2 (I forgot about my alliance to the HRE Emperor Oldbenburg so I can declare war on a couple of the other electors as soon as I get Brandenburg under my wing)

My heir is miserable (1/1/4) but I can't release him until Brandonburg's king dies or has a kid because it'll put my prestige lower than his and I am really hoping to just inherit him and not have to war for his throne like I did with the other two HRE PUs I have, saves on AE which I already have plenty of thanks to eating Burgundy, Nevers and Provence. I also hope to one day get the next idea from Influence (+1 relations to boost me to 6) but I just can't seem to make headway to get to it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I need some tips for my Austria game. Despite having over 600hours in this game, this is the first time playing as Austria and I'm trying to unite HRE. It's 1488 and I managed to prevent Italy leaving just in the nick of time, by conquering a ton of Papal territory and acquiring some cool 90 points of AE. I'm going to release Urbino as a vassal instead of dealing with coring in Italy and any expansion is off the table for the next several decades. I stopped playing right after ending the war and so a coalition hasn't formed yet (though it will, but according to tooltip no major powers will be joining it).

Now, what do I do with Rome? Do I just tank the diplomatic reputation and papal influence malus? Can I sell it back to the Pope and hope he doesn't remove it from HRE (he's chillin' in Avignon)?

Also, when does the event for PU with Hungary happen?

Once you've added the provinces to the HRE you can just use the return core button to free the pope again. I've never seen the AI actually remove a province from the HRE.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

Pressing the "France is dead, long live the New France" button as Burgundy is pretty satisfying!

probably the objectively correct move but it breaks my heart to see

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deathbagel posted:

Diplo is the national focus, I only have one valid rival (the Ottomans, who are only about 1/2 as big as me) I'm the #1 Great Power but just dipped under 50PP due to only having one rival and not being over by him to smash armies with him yet, he hasn't taken any of Africa or even the Levant area yet.

Yea, my last three rulers have had awful diplo scores, current one is a 4/0/6 and before that was a 5/1/5. Diplo is my focus and has been for a while. So I am currently getting:

+0 - ruler
+3 - base
+3 - advisor
+2 - national focus

-7 - annexing Aragon (I have a ton of Diplo Rep currently)
-2 - over relations limit by 2 (I forgot about my alliance to the HRE Emperor Oldbenburg so I can declare war on a couple of the other electors as soon as I get Brandenburg under my wing)

My heir is miserable (1/1/4) but I can't release him until Brandonburg's king dies or has a kid because it'll put my prestige lower than his and I am really hoping to just inherit him and not have to war for his throne like I did with the other two HRE PUs I have, saves on AE which I already have plenty of thanks to eating Burgundy, Nevers and Provence. I also hope to one day get the next idea from Influence (+1 relations to boost me to 6) but I just can't seem to make headway to get to it.

If you're close to 50, try throwing an insult at the Ottomans or embargoing them, that should push you over. Or just declare a war and take like 1 province + Humiliate

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

oddium posted:

probably the objectively correct move but it breaks my heart to see

What is France may never die, but rises again, bigger and bluer

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So after the Italian conquest of everything around, I kinda don't want to have to deal with HRE or Europe anymore, but I also don't want to deal with being a savage uncultured shithole. That leaves muscovy. What's a good strategy to start out? Still eating novgorod and the hordes while keeping poland-lithuania and denmark-sweden at bay? I am guessing religious, defensive, expansion ideas (while feeding vassals and diplo annexing to save on coring costs) are pretty much the perfect match for Russia? What about diplo ideas?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TorakFade posted:

I also don't want to deal with being a savage uncultured shithole.

:stare:

TorakFade posted:

That leaves muscovy.

:catstare:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Seriously though the tech penalty for being a "savage" really isn't that bad if you're not playing in the Americas. If anything at least play a muslim nation in the middle east or play Ethiopia now come on.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah I know, just joking. Actually I just want to say "all belongs to Mother Russia" with a thick fake accent when I pop that achievement.

E: mmm ethiopia. That might be cool too.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I've actually never done a Russia game. I should do a Russia game one of these days. Closest I've done is Kazan, and I never did finish that game, had an amazing start too. I should try Kazan again soon too. Too many countries that I need to do!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

So after the Italian conquest of everything around, I kinda don't want to have to deal with HRE or Europe anymore, but I also don't want to deal with being a savage uncultured shithole. That leaves muscovy. What's a good strategy to start out? Still eating novgorod and the hordes while keeping poland-lithuania and denmark-sweden at bay? I am guessing religious, defensive, expansion ideas (while feeding vassals and diplo annexing to save on coring costs) are pretty much the perfect match for Russia? What about diplo ideas?

Ming game is fun. A nice easy relaxing game where you start as the most developed country in the game.

Muscovy is an awesome game, buttttttttt...what about Golden Horde? The Great Khan achievement is fun as well, and a bit more of a challenger. Conquer the steppe and ride the fine line between blobbing hard af and keeping horde unity until you reform.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All I ever play these days is Ethiopia Universalis, Ethiopia is a lot of fun right now, not too challenging but also not super easy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Poil posted:

I'm really tempted to do a Genoa game, but everytime I've tried I've failed. How do you grab Granada before Castile gets their dainty hands all over it? Do you have to attempt Byzantium as quickly as possible?

So, the first thing you need to do is ally France. It's vital. You do this even before you set rivals, because sometimes France doesn't really like your rival choices and won't ally you afterward. If you build a unit or two, this should trigger the mission Greed in Gibraltar to spawn, giving you a CB on Granada. Now, at this point, you might be really lucky and Granada's friendless. That's easy, just drop your army on them and you win. More likely, they have allied either Morocco or Tlemcen. Morocco's the worst case scenario; you'll need to go into debt to stack enough dudes on Gibraltar that you can take Granada without being attacked, and you'll probably have to get military access through Castile because the Moroccan navy is no joke. Tlemcen is a pain with their navy but not a huge problem otherwise. Anyway, win that war and full-annex Granada (or just take Gibraltar, but that's not as fun).

Now, if you've allied France, Castile will whine and stomp their feet a lot but they won't attack you. If you haven't, they will. Keep your manpower high for the foreseeable future even if you're allied to France, because if both you and France are weak Castile will strike.

Byzantium often survives longer than you'd expect, but yeah you will be turning around right after the war with Granada to fight Byzantium. If you wait for them to ally with Serbia, you can usually vassalize Serbia as well as taking Constantinople and maybe a bit of Greece from Byzantium. After you do this, you should look into vassalizing Circassia up near the Black Sea.

Congrats! You've got like a million avenues of expansion into different AE theaters and it's 1460. You'll receive more great missions later, such as one inviting you to kick the Mamluks while they're down and steal Alexandria.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 23, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How do you expand as a Merchant Republic anyway? I was goofing around with Novgorod and the 20 province in a state limit was super annoying. Having tons of territory sitting at 75% autonomy doesn't sound very useful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TorakFade posted:

I wouldn't take Expansion, you don't really need it. You'd be much better off just taking Admin to get to the -40% CC discount. Explo is a better choice, since it uses your less valuable points, and gives you two colonists. But I often find myself compelled to take Trade instead, as Muscovy your biggest limitation is the amount of income you can find.

Anyway, there's two strategies I keep coming back to: the Eastern option, and the Western option. Either way you start a war with Novgorod within the first two months. Either way your Monarch Point Focus remains on Admin at pretty much all times.
  • The Eastern option is the reliable one: after Novgorod, go conquer all the Hordes while ignoring Poland, buddy up with Sweden (both so that they won't attack you, and so that they won't ally with the PLC); then you just wait for Poland to inevitably fall apart and take all their poo poo. Take Religious ideas first, Defensive second, Economic or Admin third (or Trade/Explo if you're super short on Admin points).

• The Western option involves trying to build a coalition against Pol-Lit immediately; if Poland declines their PU with Lithuania you definitely want to do this, and it's much, much easier if Denmark doesn't rival you right off the bat. Ideally you want Denmark and friends, plus the one of Bohemia, Austria, Hungary, or the Ottomans on side. In the Western variation you're taking Admin first rather than Religious, still Defensive second. You want to take all of Lithuania's Orthodox land, annul their relationship with Poland if possible (but if you're taking loads of land all the time, and you do want to, this can be impractical), and then carve into the Balkans if the opportunity presents itself. You can find a Sunni vassal and feed a bunch of land to them in the east if you want, but it's not really necessary, you can just roll over them later. Perm often takes Religious ideas for you though, if they do, feeding them is a great option.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

QuarkJets posted:

All I ever play these days is Ethiopia Universalis, Ethiopia is a lot of fun right now, not too challenging but also not super easy

I'm always confused when people talk about playing the same start multiple times. Doesn't it get boring? I've only ever done it a couple of times when I missed achievements the first time around.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I couldn't do it repeatedly in the same patch but I have one nation I play every or every other main patch, it makes it easy to see what changed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm always confused when people talk about playing the same start multiple times. Doesn't it get boring? I've only ever done it a couple of times when I missed achievements the first time around.

It's an exercise in optimization; I get a game going and then sometime in the mid-game I have some ideas for how it could have gone better, so I restart.

I said Ethiopia Universalis but I guess technically I've been doing the same thing with Byzantium, they're just less fun so I've been playing them less often

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Another feature I've forgotten. What was the quick way of making the map show a particular country's cores and claims?

Also, I just peaced a small nation out of a war I was in, and my army didn't get exiled. They can't move, and I can't get military access from anyone since they hate me. Is there a way around this?

Node fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 24, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Diplomatic and clicking on their country, IIRC.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the things that happen when you're not in europe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In order to transform Burgundy into A Newer, Better France, I had to gobble up their solitary colony.

I hate it. I want to get rid of it. But it's Francien culture, so no nearby colonizing nation wants to buy it. Is there a way to throw it in the trash?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I am really sick of this Center of Reformation on the edge of my turf mucking poo poo up.

What is the most effective casus belli to use as an excuse to wage a war of religious conversion, if I just want to nix the CoR and don't actually want the territory.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The only CB you need is the only CB you'll ever need.

No CB.

I assume you've determined if forcing religion will actually solve your Center of Reformation problem.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Well that was a pleasant surprise. I just founded Colonialism in 1517 as Ethiopia. I've discovered precisely one province in the "Americas" - St Helena.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

karmicknight posted:

No CB.

I assume you've determined if forcing religion will actually solve your Center of Reformation problem.

I mean, it should? My understanding is that converting the CoR province should make it no longer a CoR.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I mean, it should? My understanding is that converting the CoR province should make it no longer a CoR.

Right, but force religion doesn't instantly convert the nation (only its capital). And the AI is not likely to do a fantastic job of getting rid of the CoR.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The Force Religion peace option only forces the country and it's capital to change religion. This is fine in the HRE, where Centers of Reformation pop in One Province Minors and are easy to whack down, but if the Center of Reformation isn't force converted in the peace, it remains a Center of Reformation and thus really difficult to uproot (It gets an increase in difficulty to conversion).

Also, since I'm not being a prick and honestly answering questions, you need the Cleansing of Heresy CB (unless you have the HRE specific CB) from what I remember/double checked on the wiki.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PittTheElder posted:

I wouldn't take Expansion, you don't really need it. You'd be much better off just taking Admin to get to the -40% CC discount. Explo is a better choice, since it uses your less valuable points, and gives you two colonists. But I often find myself compelled to take Trade instead, as Muscovy your biggest limitation is the amount of income you can find.

Anyway, there's two strategies I keep coming back to: the Eastern option, and the Western option. Either way you start a war with Novgorod within the first two months. Either way your Monarch Point Focus remains on Admin at pretty much all times.
  • The Eastern option is the reliable one: after Novgorod, go conquer all the Hordes while ignoring Poland, buddy up with Sweden (both so that they won't attack you, and so that they won't ally with the PLC); then you just wait for Poland to inevitably fall apart and take all their poo poo. Take Religious ideas first, Defensive second, Economic or Admin third (or Trade/Explo if you're super short on Admin points).

• The Western option involves trying to build a coalition against Pol-Lit immediately; if Poland declines their PU with Lithuania you definitely want to do this, and it's much, much easier if Denmark doesn't rival you right off the bat. Ideally you want Denmark and friends, plus the one of Bohemia, Austria, Hungary, or the Ottomans on side. In the Western variation you're taking Admin first rather than Religious, still Defensive second. You want to take all of Lithuania's Orthodox land, annul their relationship with Poland if possible (but if you're taking loads of land all the time, and you do want to, this can be impractical), and then carve into the Balkans if the opportunity presents itself. You can find a Sunni vassal and feed a bunch of land to them in the east if you want, but it's not really necessary, you can just roll over them later. Perm often takes Religious ideas for you though, if they do, feeding them is a great option.

Thanks, that looks like a great plan. Assuming I don't take exploration or expansion (1 colonist and 1 merchant are really attractive though), is the colonist from NIs enough for filling out all of siberia? Looks like a whole lot of land, and for diplo ideas trade/diplo/influence all seem way better than exploration for a mostly landlocked, wide empire.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 24, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

karmicknight posted:

The Force Religion peace option only forces the country and it's capital to change religion. This is fine in the HRE, where Centers of Reformation pop in One Province Minors and are easy to whack down, but if the Center of Reformation isn't force converted in the peace, it remains a Center of Reformation and thus really difficult to uproot (It gets an increase in difficulty to conversion).

Also, since I'm not being a prick and honestly answering questions, you need the Cleansing of Heresy CB (unless you have the HRE specific CB) from what I remember/double checked on the wiki.

Augh, yeah you're right I double checked and the CoR is in fact not in their capital. God drat you Brandenburg.

I suppose it's a moot point since I don't have access to Cleansing of Heresy anyway. I suppose I'll just have to ignore their shenanigans until the CoRs start disappearing on their own or until I can be bothered to pick up Humanism :effort:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

karmicknight posted:

nah you can force religion with most CBs, you don't need Cleansing of Heresy (which would only be from taking Religious ideas)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Worth noting, if the CoR is the capital of any nation not currently in existence, you could force that nation to be released and then do a force religion war on them later.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

TorakFade posted:

Thanks, that looks like a great plan. Assuming I don't take exploration or expansion (1 colonist and 1 merchant are really attractive though), is the colonist from NIs enough for filling out all of siberia? Looks like a whole lot of land, and for diplo ideas trade/diplo/influence all seem way better than exploration for a mostly landlocked, wide empire.

It'll take a while to be sure but you can easily expand to the Pacific and backfill with just the NI colonist.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

karmicknight posted:

No CB.

Do you guys no-cb war often? I look at stability penalties and run away screaming, should I be invading out of the blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

In order to transform Burgundy into A Newer, Better France, I had to gobble up their solitary colony.

I hate it. I want to get rid of it. But it's Francien culture, so no nearby colonizing nation wants to buy it. Is there a way to throw it in the trash?

It looks like the rebels are nationalist. So the safest bet would be to wait for them to spawn and accept their demands.

• Locked thread