Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Are you being sarcastic? It's pretty obvious she's someone from the wider Metal Gear series, which fair enough if you're not familiar with it, but you should be aware you're missing some context.

I suppose I was missing the context. The whole video where she's introduced has some creepy security guard perving over anime and then suddenly, there she is. It felt tonally inconsistent with the rest of the game. I clearly have not played enough metal gear games to be inoculated against its weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This spin off game in which I slaughter thousands of cyborgs and sentient mooing robots while wearing a sombrero and saving the world with my robot dog had a really tonally inconsistent bit where this girl appeared I was like WHAAAA? a girl?

I'm joking i'm joking.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The biggest cheating fucker in Souls history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIqMqzt0Af8

Infinite stamina and three milliseconds of recovery time. You have to kill him or else the shrine guardians will gut you for being chicken.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Jan 23, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Infinite stamina and three milliseconds of recovery time. You have to kill him or else the shrine guardians will gut you for being chicken.

Wasn't there a variant that dual wielded maces and would just constantly SMASH-SMASH-SMASH-SMASH non stop like they were just going wild with maracas? Or am I thinking of a different enemy?

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

...So nobody poisons them anymore? Because they are very susceptible to poison from a short bow. Like four arrows, can eat a sandwich while they all die.. Seriously where the dude lobs the lightning balls at you, you can sit up there and remove every one of those big knights from play without a chance of them hurting you. They leash at the stairs.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
XCOM 2 is fantastic but I feel like it obfuscates the strategy layer on purpose so it tells a better story of discovering how to fight back against the aliens. That's fine in most games where if you gently caress up you have to do the same bit again or in something like FTL where losing over and over is part of the game. With something like XCOM where you can end up in a nigh-unwinnable position hours before realising it, I want to know exactly what things do and what happens if I don't do them. Any ambiguity has me running to Google.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Afriscipio posted:

I suppose I was missing the context. The whole video where she's introduced has some creepy security guard perving over anime and then suddenly, there she is. It felt tonally inconsistent with the rest of the game. I clearly have not played enough metal gear games to be inoculated against its weirdness.

If you've ever played any of the other mgs games you'd discover that that was the most tonally consistent scene in the game

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Considering its reputation, it shouldn't be a surprise that Homefront: The Revolution isn't great.

But the absolutely baffling thing is how bad their cover shooting is. It is incredibly inconsistent, with "peeking" getting you shot about as much as just standing, while blindfire is completely useless in an fps because it is, well, blind. Sometimes you can aim over cover, sometimes you cant and the only way to find out is trying, which isnt great when you're being rushed by enemies that kill you very quickly. These enemies also spot you way too easily, there's no disguises or and their only attempt at anything other than that are trash cans which are like something out of AC1, except that game also had smoke bombs, cash and other ways of messing up enemies. There's also no flashbangs which is just baffling.

This is the absolute core of their so called "guerrilla warfare" simulator and it is absolute poo poo. Combined with how traps are mediocre, enemies spawn in randomly and there are no real patrols (which makes the remote detonated bombs/stuff of dubious value) its like they had no idea how to make their idea of the game work. You also have a laughably low limit on them. When Far Cry 2, a game that came out almost a decade ago has better grasp of how insurgent warfare works than your modern game, it's pretty loving sad.

It also has some very console-centric bad sides, like no dedicated button for throwing grenades/improvised weapons which is combined with the absolutely moronic choice to not pause/slow down time when you enter the weapon wheel.

Takedowns also take longer than if you just slash them twice in the leg, which means the ideal situation is to never use them and you curse when you do because you're now less stealthy and stuck in the animation; it's usually just easier and quicker to shoot them in back with your dart gun.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Considering its reputation, it shouldn't be a surprise that Homefront: The Revolution isn't great.

But the absolutely baffling thing is how bad their cover shooting is. It is incredibly inconsistent, with "peeking" getting you shot about as much as just standing, while blindfire is completely useless in an fps because it is, well, blind. Sometimes you can aim over cover, sometimes you cant and the only way to find out is trying, which isnt great when you're being rushed by enemies that kill you very quickly. These enemies also spot you way too easily, there's no disguises or and their only attempt at anything other than that are trash cans which are like something out of AC1, except that game also had smoke bombs, cash and other ways of messing up enemies. There's also no flashbangs which is just baffling.

This is the absolute core of their so called "guerrilla warfare" simulator and it is absolute poo poo. Combined with how traps are mediocre, enemies spawn in randomly and there are no real patrols (which makes the remote detonated bombs/stuff of dubious value) its like they had no idea how to make their idea of the game work. You also have a laughably low limit on them. When Far Cry 2, a game that came out almost a decade ago has better grasp of how insurgent warfare works than your modern game, it's pretty loving sad.

It also has some very console-centric bad sides, like no dedicated button for throwing grenades/improvised weapons which is combined with the absolutely moronic choice to not pause/slow down time when you enter the weapon wheel.

Takedowns also take longer than if you just slash them twice in the leg, which means the ideal situation is to never use them and you curse when you do because you're now less stealthy and stuck in the animation; it's usually just easier and quicker to shoot them in back with your dart gun.

Do not use fire proximity mines, at least 75% of the time they go off they spread fire to places on the map that do not actually animate it, so a prox molotov will go off, and you will move a few feet back from it and keel over dead because whoops fire is there but there's no actual fire animation to show what is now hurt floor or not.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

On my first and probably only playthrough of FF13. When the game finally opens up there are 64 missions which are just battles. This just makes it a battle arena with a hell of a lot more running. Also you're not notified where and when new stones appear so you have to look around several maps to see if there are any stone icons which are flashing slightly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Feonir posted:

Do not use fire proximity mines, at least 75% of the time they go off they spread fire to places on the map that do not actually animate it, so a prox molotov will go off, and you will move a few feet back from it and keel over dead because whoops fire is there but there's no actual fire animation to show what is now hurt floor or not.
Yeah, I already found that out while loving up the mine missions, because I'm a dumbo who can't read mine/incendiary

Just once I'd like for these game devs to actually read something like "On Guerrilla Warfare" or similar works on how you loving well fight an insurgency.

But I guess dey always gotta do the shootymans

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really like Bloodborne, it's just so drat cool in every aspect of its presentation and feels like a really cohesive game, but I'm never going to finish it because every time I put it down for a month or two when some new hotness comes out it's like I have to re-learn the entire game from scratch.

Death Zebra posted:

On my first and probably only playthrough of FF13. When the game finally opens up there are 64 missions which are just battles. This just makes it a battle arena with a hell of a lot more running. Also you're not notified where and when new stones appear so you have to look around several maps to see if there are any stone icons which are flashing slightly.

I get the feeling that I don't *get* FF13 because I really liked pretty much everything about it until the very rear end-end of the game. That said, I think the part on Pulse with all the missions really ties in thematically with the overall themes of delaying the inevitable by avoiding your destiny, or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

I get the feeling that I don't *get* FF13 because I really liked pretty much everything about it until the very rear end-end of the game. That said, I think the part on Pulse with all the missions really ties in thematically with the overall themes of delaying the inevitable by avoiding your destiny, or something.

I liked 13, especially the visual design. Then it just sort of ends in typical final fantasy style with the villain going "Oh btw I'm not the actual badguy" and some other bad guy showing up going "I'M EVIL" then you kill it.

But yeah, the missions were pretty relevant because, if I'm remembering right, they were all l'cie or whatever that didn't finish their duty and became monsters which is kind of what you're trying to do. Just chilling around hunting monsters instead of going off to finish your fight.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Or the quest that gave you the unique blue glass sword if the dude's two sons lived through a fight. Except they would both just run in front of you trying to punch an ogre to death or something.

Like almost every quest reward in Oblivion, that sword scaled with your level. You get the best one at level 25+ or something, when the ogres or goblins or whatever have turned into giants slabs of health that do too much damage and take too long to kill. The boys do not level the same way.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Afriscipio posted:

I clearly have not played enough metal gear games to be inoculated against its weirdness.

Circle Circle Dot Dot.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

she's insanely smart as a result of unforseen side-effects when Solid Snake repeatedly shot her pregnant mum with tranq darts in a MGS2 boss fight. this is canon

i love this series.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
Man, all of the super fun bits of Metal Gear Solid take a long time to get to. This is just a stupid amount of time invested to crawl out of this stupid hospital. Skipping all of these cut scenes has taken like 30 minutes. And all ive done is crawl, slowly, to new cut scenes.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't know what you're expecting from the Metal Gear Solid series if you're skipping cutscenes

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
Do I need a cut scene to see a helicopter fly by a window? That's all that happened.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't know what you're expecting from the Metal Gear Solid series if you're skipping cutscenes

Big Boss' rear end.

Nazattack posted:

Do I need a cut scene to see a helicopter fly by a window? That's all that happened.

Maybe you'd know the what and why if you didn't skip the previous cutscenes.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nazattack posted:

Man, all of the super fun bits of Metal Gear Solid take a long time to get to. This is just a stupid amount of time invested to crawl out of this stupid hospital. Skipping all of these cut scenes has taken like 30 minutes. And all ive done is crawl, slowly, to new cut scenes.

Sorry that you hate cool and immersive tutorials, looking forward to you whining about the Man on Fire in a couple days

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
MGSV has a pretty interminable intro if you're not in the mood for it; I think the idea was to make you feel powerless as all this poo poo goes on around you and you're regaining control of your faculties agonisingly slowly(symbolising the new player's gradual familiarity with the controls) but when you come into the game expecting to proceed with the business of awesome it's just a roadblock in the way of the fun. I guess I'd say relax and enjoy the intro for what it is, the good stuff is coming very soon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Afriscipio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIR1nd60To

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Extended predator sections with the threat of instant death if you screw up in the wrong place cross the line from fun to tedious. The first two times were fun, not so much any more.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

MGSV has a pretty interminable intro if you're not in the mood for it; I think the idea was to make you feel powerless as all this poo poo goes on around you and you're regaining control of your faculties agonisingly slowly(symbolising the new player's gradual familiarity with the controls) but when you come into the game expecting to proceed with the business of awesome it's just a roadblock in the way of the fun. I guess I'd say relax and enjoy the intro for what it is, the good stuff is coming very soon.

yeah, it's a long crawl at the beginning. it's the mission i've only replayed once or twice to get the challenges. i still think it's a better way to ease in new players compared to 4 dropping you in the middle of a battlefield and immediately introducing gekkos.

Gitro posted:

Extended predator sections with the threat of instant death if you screw up in the wrong place cross the line from fun to tedious. The first two times were fun, not so much any more.

are we still talking MGS or is this a thing in Arkham?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nazattack posted:

Phantom Pain was a blur, from the LP of the game I watched- and not in a good way- so I can't really remember with 100% accuracy but I think the cutscene to gameplay ratio is better than 4's, once you get out of the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFW8YDyKM1M&t=123s

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Jan 24, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RareAcumen posted:

Phantom Pain was a blur, from the LP of the game I watched- and not in a good way- so I can't really remember with 100% accuracy but I think the cutscene to gameplay ratio is better than 4's, once you get out of the hospital.

MGS5 has less cutscenes than other MGS games, especially 4.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

Boss fight in Arkham.

It's weird how the only good predator boss they've managed is Freeze in City.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Scarecrow

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Don't know if anyone mentioned it already but man I hate the new trend of adding additional multiplayer only content to patches without giving me the option not to install it. DOOM used to be about 55gb, now with the extra multiplayer crap that no-one plays it's 78gb. At least the COD games let you install the SP and MP separately so you can avoid all the additional poo poo if you don't want it.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Convex posted:

Don't know if anyone mentioned it already but man I hate the new trend of adding additional multiplayer only content to patches without giving me the option not to install it. DOOM used to be about 55gb, now with the extra multiplayer crap that no-one plays it's 78gb. At least the COD games let you install the SP and MP separately so you can avoid all the additional poo poo if you don't want it.

Wow and I thought Disgaea 4 for the PS3 was bad for making​ you download a 2.7gb patch that was mostly data for the DLC whether you had bought it or not making it a deliberate waste of harddrive space. I know HDD space is at less of a premium these days but 23gb is nothing to sneeze at especially when you have to download it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the last of us

giant zombie that throws rapidly damaging spore bombs, has a ton of health, armor, and instantly kills you if you get close to it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nazattack posted:

The first hour of metal gear 5 is appallingly bad and completely unlike the rest of the game. I'm not sure why they decided to pick out the absolute worst elements of call of duty's singleplayer campaigns and start the game with an hour of those worst parts amalgamated together into a blob of poo poo, but stick with it because it transforms into a completely different and awesome game as soon as you get past the intro.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stories: The Path of Destinies has a surprisingly fun gimmick where you shape the story by making decisions at key points, and not in a lame copout way where you end up at the same outcome either way, only along a different path. It does heavily reuse levels, which is alright for a low budget game, but unfortunately it likes to play voiceover clips that clearly belong to a different plot variation than the one you're in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

spit on my clit posted:

the last of us

giant zombie that throws rapidly damaging spore bombs, has a ton of health, armor, and instantly kills you if you get close to it.

The Last Of Us: having the most boring bog standard 3rd person gameplay that I feel drags down the actual story. To me the story gains nothing from the actual game side of things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Overwatch is great and a lot of fun except for one thing:

They're behind us guys. Just turn around. No, around. Look there's just one and he's killed two of us just shoot him before he kills me the medic, no, jesus gently caress look behind you.

I swear to God nobody has peripheral vision when they play this game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RBA Starblade posted:

They're behind us guys. Just turn around. No, around. Look there's just one and he's killed two of us just shoot him before he kills me the medic, no, jesus gently caress look behind you.

They're probably too busy keeping an eye on their own personal kills.

Personally for me it's probably because I'm trolling match chat and can't type and play at the same time.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Digirat posted:

The first hour of metal gear 5 is appallingly bad and completely unlike the rest of the game. I'm not sure why they decided to pick out the absolute worst elements of call of duty's singleplayer campaigns and start the game with an hour of those worst parts amalgamated together into a blob of poo poo, but stick with it because it transforms into a completely different and awesome game as soon as you get past the intro.

I didn't think it was that bad, it's just a super on rails tutorial to get newbies eased into the game?

food court bailiff posted:

I really like Bloodborne, it's just so drat cool in every aspect of its presentation and feels like a really cohesive game, but I'm never going to finish it because every time I put it down for a month or two when some new hotness comes out it's like I have to re-learn the entire game from scratch.

This except with Witcher 3. I beat the game a while ago but I want to go back and do the DLC.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jan 25, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RBA Starblade posted:

this is killing me with symmetra's turrets. i wish i was better with her than against her. and that loving beam weapon melts me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lord Lambeth posted:

This except with Witcher 3. I beat the game a while ago but I want to go back and do the DLC.

What's to re-learn? Attack button, dodge button, dodge whenever you're not attacking.