Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
No onions/onion powder in that recipe, or even salt. Pretty poo poo recipe imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

That's basically taco meat. Like if you boil off the water it becomes ground beef for tacos.
I find it absolutely :allears: adorable that sun wu actually crossposted his recipe for boring-rear end taco meat in another thread before deciding, "hey, it's chili, too!"

To be honest he'd be better off using some store-bought taco seasoning packets, but I guess it's the thought that counts, and it's probably pretty zesty for Minnesota.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised goons would get huffy even about chili, of all things.

Somehow I'm not surprised goons proudly eat lovely food

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chili seems to be the one thing goons will get all defensive about.

Sorry your ambiguous dish's recipe will result in some abomination of cinci chili without cinnamon.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The holy trinity of food purity spergdom is:

1. Chili

2. Spaghetti Carbonara

3. Neapolitan Pizza

Each of those must meet a specific set of required ingredients/lack of others, to be the ONE TRUE definition, otherwise rage will ensue. I say this as someone who does indeed sperg out about each of those things.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I lived with a goon for a while who literally used a triple-digit digital scale to make spaghetti carbonara. I don't really get why - chop up and cook some bacon, toss in some noodles with some egg and olive oil, done.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

calorie intake, useful with something as dense as cabonara.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

calorie intake, useful with something as dense as cabonara.
No, he was following the instructions in his cookbook exactly to spec. Exactly.

He couldn't actually cook anything else was the funniest part.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
he should get into baking and pastries.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised goons would get huffy even about chili, of all things.
So look, it's not really a purism thing. That recipe is just weird and bad and kind of deserves to be mocked a bit. It's not a big deal.

It's like if there was a pizza thread and someone was like "check out this pizza recipe: spread ketchup on bread, top with american cheese, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds."

mega dy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 24, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dy. posted:

So look, it's not really a purism thing. That recipe is just weird and bad and kind of deserves to be mocked a bit. It's not a big deal.

It's like if there was a pizza thread and someone was like "check out this pizza recipe: spread ketchup on bread, top with american cheese, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds."

just like mom used to heat up

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I made some chili and made a video, you guysssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLhYb7gDo6c

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Can I sub dr pepper for the cola and el paso taco seasoning instead of mccormick?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You should use a different kind of onion and chop everything up more finely, the "distinct colors in a red soup" presentation looks pretty bad and is easy to fix

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And ditch the loving pineapple, that's loving grotesque

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
That whole recipe is bad and you should feel bad. I'm hoping this is a troll.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

my favorite part is the explosion graphic covering your face, as if it's already obvious how bad this recipe is and it needs to hide your shame.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I think it tastes really good and fit my macros :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what the gently caress is that turkey jesus

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

I didn't know mcdonalds made turkey meat, you learn something new every day i guess.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chili should look like this. Please stop using ground turkey and garlic out of a tube.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Chili should look like this. Please stop using ground turkey and garlic out of a tube.

Closer! But still not what chili should look like.

Let he who is without beans, post the first pic.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Doom Rooster posted:

Closer! But still not what chili should look like.

Let he who is without beans, post the first pic.

Chili with beans is good.

Chili without beans is good.

Chili with pineapple is not good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chili without beans is a topping for tortillas, beans or other poo poo. With beans is good solo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

89 posted:

I think it tastes really good and fit my macros :colbert:

do a chicken tortilla or something if you must use poultry. Using leg/thy meat would actually be a reason to pressure cook too and likely cheaper. It's good to do a quick boil or boiling pour over of the meat first when cooking in the final container to keep poo poo looking good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

chili without beans is a topping for tortillas, beans or other poo poo. With beans is good solo.

but both are good over rice

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I dare somebody to make my midwestern turkey stew :colbert:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

89 posted:

I dare somebody to make my midwestern turkey stew :colbert:

Will you venmo or google wallet me the money to make it? I live in an expensive part of the country but $40 should do it. And I still want to know if I can sub Dr Pepper and El Paso for the coke/mccormicks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

89 posted:

I made some chili and made a video, you guysssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLhYb7gDo6c
congratulations on pronouncing the j correctly in Jalapeno - and nothing else. I'm drooling over that 4 lb pack of pink sludge though

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Green chilies salsa as my base for veg chili was a mistake, it's so loving good with chips but can't carry that weight

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Meatless chili also loving good somehow great fridge cold next day

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
I need some constructive criticism. I've been making chili based on a few recipes in this thread and I keep having the same problem. The first bite is usually underwhelming and it takes like 30 seconds to a minute before you're really like wow, this is delicious. This is fine for me when I'm having a big bowl but I usually like to make it for parties (like the superbowl) and a yearly office cook off where people are only getting a little bit. When I taste other peoples versions, the first bite is delicious and so is the follow through if that makes sense. I'm missing the wow factor on the first bite but the follow through is great so I'd like some help improving that. The recipe is different every time but the current iteration is as follows:

Chili powder:

I use the goons with spoons version (http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chili_Powder) and did two separate batches because I use in other recipes. First was one package each of ancho, guajilla and pasilla. The second was only chipotles of the meco variety.

Stock:

I decided to try to the Emeril recipe posted here a few pages back using shin bones, all they had at the grocery store. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/beef-stock-recipe.html. I usually just use beef stock from the store.

The rest of the recipe is as follows:

-4.5 lbs beef chuck cut into cubes
-1.5 lbs chorizo
-2 large onions chopped
-28 oz can diced tomatos drained
-1 lb dry red kidney beans
-Ancho/guajilla/pasilla chili powder from above (I'm not sure how much I used because I add more as I'm cooking based on taste, I estimate I used 1/2 cup)
-Chipotle chili powder (same as above but probably used 4 tablespoons)
-5 cloves garlic chopped
-1/2 beer (I used 21st amendment fireside chat, a winter spiced ale this time)
-1 shot bourbon
-olive oil
-2 tablespoons smoked paprika
-1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses.

General Procedure:

-Chili powders and stock were made a few days ahead of time.
-Soak beans over night. Cook 3/4 of the way and set aside.
-Brown the beef in batches. I used the pot I was cooking in and an extra pan. I scraped the brown bits from the side pan and added them to the main pot later.
-Add olive oil, chorizo, onion, and garlic and cook, about 5 minutes without overdoing onion. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
-Deglaze main pot with beer and scrape up brown bits with spoon.
-Add back in beef and chorizo/onion mixture. Add stock. Add tomatoes. Add chili powders, paprika, molasses, bourbon, stirring all the while.
-Simmer. Varies based on amount of liquid but this time I let it go for about 9 hours. Beans were added at about the 3hr mark.

I didn't think I was going to post ahead of time so I only snapped one picture just after adding everything back to the pot but before simmering:

I've done variations without the tomatoes and different or no varieties of beans but I've found they don't change the taste much. I just like them in there so its a little healthier than just straight meat. Any comments/suggestions/criticisms appreciated. Thanks!

Homers BBBq fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 5, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Straight off the bat it sounds like you are not putting in enough salt. Salt is what gives you the immediate "gently caress, that's delicious".

Looking at the recipe, You also could use some brightness on the chilies. Ancho and chipotle are both dark and earthy. Put some new mexicos or guajillo powder in there.

Edit: reading through again, it also takes a little while of cooking for the chili powder flavor to "normalize", so tasting, adding more powder, tasting again, is not going to give you a super accurate read on the flavor. Wait like 20 minutes of simmering before tasting again.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 5, 2017

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. I usually don't add salt because store bought beef stock is already salty and I don't want to overdo it but I realized the homemade one doesn't have any... so I will definitely try adding some.

For the chili powder, I'm at the mercy of what they have at the bodega but the mixture I used did have equal parts ancho, guajillo, and pasilla. I edited the post to clarify but will try more guajillo in the future.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
More salt, sugar, and MSG.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Suspect Bucket posted:

Possibly acid too?

Homers BBBq posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually don't add salt because store bought beef stock is already salty and I don't want to overdo it but I realized the homemade one doesn't have any... so I will definitely try adding some.

So that's it right there. You didn't season the food which is why it was bland. Even when using store bought stock, you should taste while cooking and salt accordingly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah try a tbsp of fish sauce near the end

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspect Bucket posted:

my mom always called these "flavor binders". I think I learned to salt to taste best, by making pico de gallo and adding salt until it went from "bland oniony stuff" to "whoa!".

I kind of flubbed a spaghetti sauce the other day for the same reason.. I didn't remember that the ragu sauce was from commods (native american food box/WIC/foodstamps) which is always *alway* super-duper low-sodium.. And after making like 5 quarts of spaghetti sauce I tasted it and was like "awww man, this is bland and watery as gently caress. I forgot to toss in some bullion or other umami!"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I always add lime juice and stew a bunch of cilantro then take it out after an hour. Also, what everyone else said - salt and sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made a fish stew once (Hotroot Soup, for the literature ISCA) that was good, but lacked something. Everything else was great, good flavor, good spice level, good stock, but just felt empty. I put it in the fridge and hoped it might get better with a bit of time. Then I went to Publix and got some fish sauce, which was in the recipe but I was unfamiliar with it at the time. Added it to my soup, and bam, perfect soup.

Try some fish sauce. It smells like cat rear end but works wonders for making food taste better.