Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boing posted:

What's the thread title about? Is there a silly procedurally-generated book somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
All of the funny books should be in the OP.

e:

Tunicate posted:

Bookdump!

Animal Courtship: My Only Mistake is still my favorite.

And I just noticed it's a copy :lol:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 24, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shamelessly reposting

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I really wish it was easier to explore dwarf settlements in whatever version I found the wizard's guide to self control, because I spent an hour in tunnels filled with horses trying to find the drat author so I could argue with him. Alas.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So a total noob beginner question: I am trying to get my dwarves to chop down some trees. So I do the following:

1. press d to open the designation menu.
2. press t to select a tree
3. Using the new icon, I select a tree and press enter. The tree blinks.
4. Unpause.
5. Dwarves do nothing.

In addition, when I look at their specific jobs, they apparently have none. Even though in the party editing section i set them up as competent wood choppers. :\

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Have you used the tool to cover a big area of multiple trees? It's like mining where you click 2 points to define an area.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

strategery posted:

So a total noob beginner question: I am trying to get my dwarves to chop down some trees. So I do the following:

4. Unpause.
5. Dwarves do nothing.

In addition, when I look at their specific jobs, they apparently have none. Even though in the party editing section i set them up as competent wood choppers. :\

Press enter once, you are designating an area by its opposite corners. If you click twice you are just selecting the one tree under it.

If you did this, it can be a bug, usually solved by dumping the axe in a garbage area and then reclaiming it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You did bring an axe right? And not a wooden one?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You designate trees to be chopped(and most things) by rectangle. You have to press enter, move your cursor somewhere else, press enter again.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I always played with nobles and poo poo off. The game seemed to totally fall apart once capitalism was introduced into things. People suddenly unable to afford their opulent bedrooms and high quality of life that the previous communal system provided in plenty, all to support some idiots with ridiculous demands who wander around beating or killing my most important dudes.

Bug Report: Capitalism implemented too accurately

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

strategery posted:

4. Unpause.
5. Dwarves do nothing.

Along with what everyone else is saying, if you're really new: be sure at least one of your dwarves has the wood cutting profession highlighted ([v], move cursor to desired dwarf,[p]rf, [l]abor, [+] to scroll down the menu to "Woodworking," [Enter], [+] scroll to "Wood Cutting," [Enter]) . Be sure you have at least a copper axe ([z], Stocks, weapons, an axe should be listed.)

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 25, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tales from the fortress. I dam up a major river that's only 1 z-level high. Dwarves start hanging out in the draining area drinking and whatnot, cancelling jobs and drinking because of dangerous terrain and generally getting pushed downriver a bit. Somehow I end up with Urist McDumbass stuck up a tree on the bank, presumably scrambling up it to avoid being swept away. The thing is I don't figure this out until i get the message that he has died of dehydration. Yup, Urist McDumbass climbed up a tree like a cat and died up there. Naturally I don't want dwarf corpses hanging from my trees, so I send somebody to cut it down and bring the body back for burial.

Yep. Poor guy gets hit with the body following by all of the clothes falling from a couple z-levels up. His buddy is so horrified by this he stops chopping trees down.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I like that the general gist of the book is "Self-control. Not a fan."

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Wasn't there another screenshot of a dwarf performing an oration poorly, and in the middle of it someone makes fun of him so he straight up murders the dude mid-speech, then concludes his oration poorly? I hope someone knows what I'm talking about because it was funny as hell.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I liked the one where somebody in adventure mode saw a guy puking. He then composed and recited a poem about the puking guy to the guy while he was puking.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I like that the general gist of the book is "Self-control. Not a fan."

look, i didn't spend four years in wizard school learning to twist the cosmos around my finger so i could practice restraint

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've been working on a script that serves as sort of a supplement to DFHack's pre-embark 'prospect,' only instead of showing you minerals, it informs you of important underground features, such as magma pools and adamantine spires. It's working pretty well so far!

From here I'd like to also have it inform you of the effects of any evil biomes in your embark area, though I'm not certain if that information is fully available via dfhack. I know that you can get information about all the interactions with regional sources, but I'm not sure if you can match those to actual regions. I'll have to see.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Neurion posted:

I've been working on a script that serves as sort of a supplement to DFHack's pre-embark 'prospect,' only instead of showing you minerals, it informs you of important underground features, such as magma pools and adamantine spires. It's working pretty well so far!

From here I'd like to also have it inform you of the effects of any evil biomes in your embark area, though I'm not certain if that information is fully available via dfhack. I know that you can get information about all the interactions with regional sources, but I'm not sure if you can match those to actual regions. I'll have to see.

Ooooh. Do show it to the DFHack team on github once something proper comes of it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Neurion posted:

This is everything I want this is everything I need.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Honky Dong Country posted:

I liked the one where somebody in adventure mode saw a guy puking. He then composed and recited a poem about the puking guy to the guy while he was puking.

It'd be perfect if it happened while they were carrying boxes full of badly made stone mugs covered in haphazardly arranged shards of broken green glass by a master soaper to an elven caravan.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It is pretty much complete now, and it's awesome. So glad the people working on DFHack were able to map interactions to regions.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Neurion posted:

Immediate Swelling ending at 1960.

The Dwarven Space Race.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Soaring to the moon, strapped to a tower of !!lignite blocks!!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A few years ago I tried a run with just the initial seven dwarves, sealing the outside world. It mostly worked except for the first hard coded migration wave. They arrived and were promptly slaughtered by an invasion, and haunted my fort. Has DFHack advanced enough to keep the waves out (setting max pop in LNP didn't keep them out either) and is there a way to change tiles completely? I think I ended up putting a hatch at the entry hole and locking it, which isn't ideal in the case of building destroyers. If I could dig my way in and turn that hole back into dirt or something, that would be great.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
You could have put up engraved slabs to get rid of the ghosts.

There's now a strict population cap you can set (the other older one is a loose cap) but not sure if you can prevent that first migrant wave or not.

Dfhack has a command to change tiles but I'm unfamiliar with how it works.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Admiral Joeslop posted:

and is there a way to change tiles completely?

tiletypes is powerful enough to change the material and shape (floor, wall, stairs etc.) of any given tile. I'd have to refamiliarize myself with the thing to tell you how to exactly work it, though. Peep this first.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

necrotic posted:

You could have put up engraved slabs to get rid of the ghosts.

There's now a strict population cap you can set (the other older one is a loose cap) but not sure if you can prevent that first migrant wave or not.

Dfhack has a command to change tiles but I'm unfamiliar with how it works.

I believe the first migrant wave is hardcoded and spawns dwarves from nowhere (or used to be anyway)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

liquids -> o -> p -> highlight the square you want to fill -> press enter -> q

Fastest way to seal a single square with obsidian.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Tiletypes for sure, becoming familiar with that can help you get that extra little flair into your super fortress. You can decorate your lava storage tanks with walls of gold, you can draw gemstone patterns on the floor of your dining room. It's not so hard to learn either

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any recent fun Dwarf Fortress stories? I've read Boatmurdered etc I've just always enjoyed hearing how glitches are rationalized in-game plus inadvertent tales of dwarfish heroism.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

I guess he knew what his calling was when he decided to become a scholar :haw:

Incidentally I hate that font and I'm too :downs: to figure out how to change it, within or outside of the LNP. Advice that an idiot can understand, anyone?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/820824730001248256

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rudimentary procedurally generated philosophy.

"I drink, therefore I am."

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Any recent fun Dwarf Fortress stories? I've read Boatmurdered etc I've just always enjoyed hearing how glitches are rationalized in-game plus inadvertent tales of dwarfish heroism.

BYOB is having a succession game if you're interested in reading that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801661

Highlights include the fortress being taken advantage of by creative types looking for free food and booze

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cool, I think I tried tiletype on that old save back then and couldn't figure it out. When/If I find time to start a fort, I'll try both those ideas.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
A couple years ago there was a goon-made quickstart guide (iirc).
Is there anything like that that's up to date? I keep forgetting how to set up basic stuff like booze, food, a hospital, traps, initial militia -- but I'd also like to set up a library and temple or whatever too. What's the good guides? I dunno what I'm doing.

Is it still a bad idea to make 50z-deep staircases because if somebody trips they'll fall all the way down all the steps?

I saw that you can make a pasture zone to have all your horses and chinchillas graze, and you can also set up a zone where dwarves will apparently pick plants that grow there wild, so when I set up the pasture I toggle both. Well that backfired hard as gently caress because I had autolabor on, so everyone rushed the animals out, and then picked all the plants, and then stood there jacking off waiting for new plants to grow out of nothing. I removed the zone and they wouldn't go back to having other jobs, they just stood around outside waiting for plants and then not picking them.

I was thinking it'd be cool to have a really z oriented fort kind of naturally built out of mineral veins and stuff. Do veins go across z levels, or are they only horizontal? It's too bad that digging out an exploratory shaft gives you no info about the rock that's below or above you, unless you dig out stairs.

If I cored out a shaft from the surface to a cave layer, would outside plants and trees start growing down there? Is it possible to find an embark where the first cave layer is already exposed to the outside?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A fire-breathing tricepratops. Oh joy.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is it still a bad idea to make 50z-deep staircases because if somebody trips they'll fall all the way down all the steps?

I don't think so.

I was thinking it'd be cool to have a really z oriented fort kind of naturally built out of mineral veins and stuff. Do veins go across z levels, or are they only horizontal? It's too bad that digging out an exploratory shaft gives you no info about the rock that's below or above you, unless you dig out stairs.

They're strictly inside the z-level, sorry. Adamantine pipes are the only mineral inclusions to run vertically. There is an experimental DFHack plugin called "3dveins" which should permanently convert your current embark to have veins running across multiple layers, but I haven't touched that one.

If I cored out a shaft from the surface to a cave layer, would outside plants and trees start growing down there? Is it possible to find an embark where the first cave layer is already exposed to the outside?

Not sure about that one. The latter won't happen outside a horrifying worldgen abortion that spends a lot of time collapsing on itself at the start of the embark.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

scamtank posted:

Not sure about that one. The latter won't happen outside a horrifying worldgen abortion that spends a lot of time collapsing on itself at the start of the embark.

I actually had something like that happen to me years ago, I posted in whatever thread was current in..2010/2011. I embarked on the side of a volcano and as soon as I unpaused, my wagon and gear fell down the mountain and the demons appeared, just like if I had breached the caves to hell. I don't think I or anyone else were able to recreate it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
While not open to the surface, if you embark on a cave entrance there will be a tunnel with ramps that leads down into the first layer so you can access it without digging.