Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gargonovitch posted:

EA's always been poo poo on Nintendo home consoles.

The NES got a couple of games.
The SNES pretty much only got lovely Genesis ports of sports games.
N64 got the yearly sports games, 007: TWINE, and Beetle Adventure Racing.
GameCube support was borderline good compared to their other consoles.
Wii got sports, shovelware, and PS2 ports.
Wii U got pretty much nothing.

So, who's surprised by EA being a bit poo poo on this Nintendo console? There's never been a Nintendo console that could be called "well-supported" by EA.

It's interesting because even though by the time EA had James Bond games all they dropped on the N64 was TWINE their Gamecube support was very strong the first couple of years because they dropped Agent Under Fire early in the system's life and it was massively popular. Oh man the multiplayer was so cool because the game's gimmick was that you basically had the hookshot from Link to the Past and while it's very situational in the main game a bunch of the multiplayer levels were built around using it a lot and it had options to screw around with the physics and stuff. It actually came out on the Gamecube (and XBOX) *AFTER* it was released on PS2 by about a year but the association of Nintendo+James Bond from GoldenEye was still that strong. So strong that EA made that ridiculous GoldenEye 2 game where you have a golden eye.

Anyway basically Nintendo should have dropped some $$$$ to get Activision to make an actually good James Bond game for the Wii U instead of the previous gen's embarrassments of Quantum of Solace and Bloodstone that's all I got.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really want to get some weird Euro games. Every time the Anglo-Saxon talks about his childhood in gaming, it sounds like he's from an alternate dimension.

If you have a PS3, you can get an awesome port of Alien Breed that has an enhanced version included. There are a few newer Alien Breed games on there but they're all poo poo so avoid them, just get the one titled Alien Breed. It's not an official Alien game but it's literally Gauntlet (with waaaay less things on screen at once of course) in the Aliens universe and has coop and cool sound samples. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98uRb9QDjAQ

But in general be ready for some super junky games, and if you think the Atari 2600 has a lot of clone games and ripoffs on it oh my God. But in general computers like the Amiga as an example were bought to run early rendering and illustrator programs and stuff rather than gaming, plus even at peak popularity they sold nothing close to what the SNES/Genesis/etc. did, so there simply wasn't really a call for super polished huge budget games on it because there's no way a publisher would make their money back on it. So you get tons of games that have incredible soundtracks and look amazing in screenshot but are kind of nightmarish to play if you're used to playing action games with one of the home console game pads of the time or in an arcade. Still there's a ton of interesting games to check out just for their, uh, static presentation? Like stuff like the artwork surrounding the games or some cool backgrounds or whatever.

Also interesting because going back you'll suddenly notice IMMEDIATELY what SNES/Genesis games you've played were ported from the Amiga like Soldiers of Fortune/The Chaos Engine and such.

I find ZX Spectrum games the most interesting because it had the least to work with in some ways. I feel like a lot of the groundwork for the color choices and structure of games on Euro computers was laid with Spectrum games like Bugaboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dear Sega,

All I want for Christmas is Jet Switch Radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2680ciixQc

Love,
Everyone

PS Remember the Switch Joycon presentation with Icecubes in a glass? That, but with graffiti.
PPS License a bunch of fresh new songs

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Dear Sega,

All I want for Christmas is Jet Switch Radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2680ciixQc

Love,
Everyone

PS Remember the Switch Joycon presentation with Icecubes in a glass? That, but with graffiti.
PPS License a bunch of fresh new songs
gently caress yeah

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

shake the joycon and feel the spraypaint can's shake

hold down the R button with your index finger to spray and feel it spraying

it would be so good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

shake the joycon and feel the spraypaint can's shake

hold down the R button with your index finger to spray and feel it spraying

it would be so good

My friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M08PzFcqE

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i wish i could afford VR. some day either it will be cheap enough or i'll be loaded enough to blow a bunch of money on a computer that can run it well and all the necessary stuff.

for now i'll settle for some rad haptics in my switches

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

i wish i could afford VR. some day either it will be cheap enough or i'll be loaded enough to blow a bunch of money on a computer that can run it well and all the necessary stuff.

This reminds me, has anyone done a good comparison between the Joy-Cons and existing VR controllers?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bullshit expensive right now. There's also not enough to do so even though it's cool it's really not worth getting unless you've got money to burn

The haptics are going to be insanely rad, I'm guessing they're better than the ones in the current VR controllers

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I didn't get a WiiU at launch, but was the eShop available in all regions when it launched?

I've actually taken 3rd March off work, which I've never done for a video game or console before (well I've never bought a console at launch). It's mostly because if I was working, I wouldn't be able to get to the shop before they close, and I'd prefer to not wait until Saturday. :v:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This reminds me, has anyone done a good comparison between the Joy-Cons and existing VR controllers?

I wonder if it'll be possible to use the Joycons with a PC in the future. They're just bluetooth, right?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

they appear to just wii motion plusses that can detect accelerating in 3 directions or coming to resrt in three different rotations and one of them has a low res kinect style ir camera at the bottom of it

vr controllers use an external tracking system to actually track the controllers orientation and position in 3d space poorly (ps move and pseye) or very well (vive) -and have extra things like pressure sensitive touch areas or weird ring things to determine if your fingers are outstretched or not

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

zolthorg posted:

they appear to just wii motion plusses that can detect accelerating in 3 directions or coming to resrt in three different rotations and one of them has a low res kinect style ir camera at the bottom of it

vr controllers use an external tracking system to actually track the controllers orientation and position in 3d space poorly (ps move and pseye) or very well (vive) -and have extra things like pressure sensitive touch areas or weird ring things to determine if your fingers are outstretched or not

Games after motion+ came out stopped using the external tracking. Its a bit funny that VR motion controls have gone/are going through the same development cycle and coming to the same end.

The problem was the motion plus needed a "recalibrate" button in everything incase it started going off the rails. None of the Switch demos had anything like this, and theres lots of ARMs footage, so Nintendo may have solved that problem somehow, which is pretty cool. I didn't like that the Switch event was 90% motion control but I DO like motion controls for some games, at least the option. So Nintendo perfecting the technology is a good/fun thing I think.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/ultra-street-fighter-ii-details-network-battles

All matchmaking and online connectivity in Ultra Street Fighter 2 is done through the game.

So uh, yeah. Looking more and more like the app isn't necessary for everything.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TFRazorsaw posted:

All matchmaking and online connectivity in Ultra Street Fighter 2 is done through the game.

Only doh-dohs thought online multiplayer would be 100% controlled through the smartphone app anyhow v:shobon:v

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TFRazorsaw posted:

i can't believe people seriously thought otherwise

christ, people are dumb

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So what is the app's actual purpose? Just chat? That sounds OK.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

Only doh-dohs thought online multiplayer would be 100% controlled through the smartphone app anyhow v:shobon:v

This but instead of doh-dohs you can call them ultra-tards

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

well why not posted:

I think you can also set up private lobbies for some games as well. You can just hit up your friends and see who's down, outside of the Switch.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

well why not posted:

I would imagine they also let you set up parties with voice chat outside of game software among other social features. That part got misread as "The app will handle all matchmaking" by idiots looking for anything negative they could crow about.

I think the likely situation is that the app can handle matchmaking i.e. setting up a Splatoon game between two separate parties of four that know each other, but the games can do normal matchmaking on their own.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

well why not posted:

A way to make you care about miitomo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So it's a nintendo-game focussed social tool? Like, say, steam's friends list. That actually sounds really fun to get messages to come play Mario Kart or whatever.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

well why not posted:

So it's a nintendo-game focussed social tool? Like, say, steam's friends list. That actually sounds really fun to get messages to come play Mario Kart or whatever.

That seems to be the case. Probably the "join my friend's game session" type things will be locked into there, too. It sounds like rando matchmaking will probably be free, and specific matchmaking/friend lobbies will be restricted to the app.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I get having EA is on board for the greater good of more software better but EA is a pile of flaming garbage at the same time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

I get having EA is on board for the greater good of more software better but EA is a pile of flaming garbage at the same time.

Yeah, but EA is the only way we'll get a potential new NBA Jam on the Switch

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LethalGeek posted:

If nothing else, FIFA will be a potential system-mover if it's a decent version of FIFA. I know people where literally the only video game they own/play is FIFA.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Just think the Steam App where you can chat to your pals and look at some basic poo poo about your games. That's what I'd expect.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

FIFA will probably be good so long as it's not a Legacy edition.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Okay, yeah there is a meaningful difference between "if this console is successful we'll make games for it" and "Nintendo listened to us and other 3rd parties all throughout development of the Switch".

Well, there was that time EA got on stage with Reggie in '11 to announce their "unprecedented partnership".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bombadilillo posted:

Games after motion+ came out stopped using the external tracking. Its a bit funny that VR motion controls have gone/are going through the same development cycle and coming to the same end.

The problem was the motion plus needed a "recalibrate" button in everything incase it started going off the rails. None of the Switch demos had anything like this, and theres lots of ARMs footage, so Nintendo may have solved that problem somehow, which is pretty cool. I didn't like that the Switch event was 90% motion control but I DO like motion controls for some games, at least the option. So Nintendo perfecting the technology is a good/fun thing I think.

VR Controllers aren't going to the same end. IMUs are garbage over a timeline more than a couple seconds. For VR, where you need to track the controller accurately in 3D space, external (or internal that tracks the external) tracking is required to keep the IMU data in check. This isn't going to go away unless someone somehow makes an IMU that doesn't drift.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LethalGeek posted:

EA is the worst obviously except for *recites long list of good games made by EA*

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's interesting because even though by the time EA had James Bond games all they dropped on the N64 was TWINE their Gamecube support was very strong the first couple of years because they dropped Agent Under Fire early in the system's life and it was massively popular. Oh man the multiplayer was so cool because the game's gimmick was that you basically had the hookshot from Link to the Past and while it's very situational in the main game a bunch of the multiplayer levels were built around using it a lot and it had options to screw around with the physics and stuff. It actually came out on the Gamecube (and XBOX) *AFTER* it was released on PS2 by about a year but the association of Nintendo+James Bond from GoldenEye was still that strong. So strong that EA made that ridiculous GoldenEye 2 game where you have a golden eye.

Anyway basically Nintendo should have dropped some $$$$ to get Activision to make an actually good James Bond game for the Wii U instead of the previous gen's embarrassments of Quantum of Solace and Bloodstone that's all I got.

don't forget call of goldeneye or whatever on the wii.

man, that whole decade was pretty much just spent trying to catch that lightning in a bottle again

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

well why not posted:

Apps and consoles can have synced functionalities too. So you could get a message saying "join my game session" and it'd have a button/link/whatever you press which then causes your Switch to join that match as long as the console's powered up and online. Whether that'll actually be the case... :shrug:

Infinitum posted:

Yeah, but EA is the only way we'll get a potential new NBA Jam on the Switch

NBA Hang Time on N64 added things like team fire which was rad. Also character creator letting you make 8ft tall aliens and such.

NBA Jam Time for the Switch could also be 8 player too.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TFRazorsaw posted:

If it's necessary for ANYTHING that's loving stupid.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mahoning posted:

I wish they'd make a New Super Mario Bros that uses the gameplay of SMB2.

It's like they took a few things they wanted from that game and then never used the rest.

The first thing I thought when I saw Mario Odyssey and apparently going through multiple worlds/universes was, I hope he goes back to Sub-Con for one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

The technology isn't really close at all. Wiimotes and Motion+ cannot track your controller in physical space, it only tracks the various tilts and motions of the controller (waggle) but modern VR controllers will move around the room with you. Unless the Joycons are using inside-out tracking (hint: they're not), than they just have built in waggle.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The first thing I thought when I saw Mario Odyssey and apparently going through multiple worlds/universes was, I hope he goes back to Sub-Con for one.

Here's Mario holding a SMB2-looking vegetable. But unfortunately it just looks like its some sort of food/chef world. Bummer.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I mean if you were ever hoping for Mario to explore unique worlds the likes of Space Zone. Pumpkin Zone. Hippo Zone. It's finally happening.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

full mario 64 style remake of 6 golden coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Here's Mario holding a SMB2-looking vegetable. But unfortunately it just looks like its some sort of food/chef world. Bummer.

I'm going to assume this is MIPS zone

• Locked thread