Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

This is absolutely worth the 24 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Astrobastard posted:

Dude gets hosed up hard. I was surprised at his initial patience but he's a fast boiler!

:nws: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb3_1485068072 :nws:
(he kicks a guy in the face so hard his shoe flies off lol)

This isn't really schadenfreude, this is just you laughing at some random guy who got the poo poo beat out of him.

This is some 4chan rekt poo poo.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

du -hast posted:

This isn't really schadenfreude, this is just you laughing at some random guy who got the poo poo beat out of him.

This is some 4chan rekt poo poo.

:lol: You have no idea what schadenfreude is do you?

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Jan 24, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Man, it's normally self inflicted via idiocy or misadventure though. Watching some rear end in a top hat curbstomping someone goes a bit beyond the thread as a whole. Obviously I don't know the whole story but I dunno. Seemed a bit much.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hmm. I mean, he did put his arms around the other guy and then slapped him three times. Isn't that self-inflicted idiocy?

:v:

If he were KO'd for no reason though, that's a different kind of deal.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

You want rekt go to 4chan, I mean yes by the technical definition of schadenfreude if you're a sadist, but it doesn't fit with the thread.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

du -hast posted:

You want rekt go to 4chan, I mean yes by the technical definition of schadenfreude if you're a sadist, but it doesn't fit with the thread.

I don't understand what you mean. The very OP of this thread has two people fighting and a guy receiving a kick to the face.

There's a "no snuff" rule if that's what you're talking about. Otherwise, I'm confused. Does that mean bone-crunching injuries are out of place too?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

du -hast posted:

It's bizarre that you're pretending that when you laugh at people getting hurt due to misadventure or because they 'deserve' it that it's not sadism.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The general theme is that the victim has done something to deserve it, such that others can take pleasure in their suffering.

Randomly walking up to a guy and assaulting him isn't schadenfreude. Walking up to a guy, trying to assault him, and getting your rear end beat definitely is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jabor posted:

The general theme is that the victim has done something to deserve it

It's really, really not. The only requirement for schadenfreude is that someone thought it was funny and Astrobastard clearly thought the video he posted was funny. You might not have thought it was funny but that doesn't change anything.

We have this exact same conversation every 30 pages or so.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's really, really not. The only requirement for schadenfreude is that someone thought it was funny and Astrobastard clearly thought the video he posted was funny. You might not have thought it was funny but that doesn't change anything.

We have this exact same conversation every 30 pages or so.

Eh, fair enough. I withdraw my previous comments. Carry on :)

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Control Volume posted:

Contrary to popular internet belief, a majority of cops are not bad. The problem is that law enforcement organizations as a system tend to protect the bad cops and keep them in the force so it justifiably breeds a lot of bad blood, and corruption is difficult to get rid of even working within the organization. Things like body cameras are great because bad cops (such as the one being arrested) hate them and good cops (like the arresting officer) love them since good cops already keep themselves accountable and the camera keeps the people they're dealing with accountable. That guy handled an arrest extremely well and has footage to back it up. What I don't understand is why there's so much cynicism about a potential of a lack of camera rather than optimism that the cameras are working as advertised.

It depends on who trains the cops. My old boss who taught Law Enforcement at my college purposefully pushed out students that were not fit to be cops. It was a 4 year program and he made the intro class (CJ1000) to be harder than the upper level classes. That way, the guys that thought they were tough in High School and the guys that were trying to prove themselves because they were picked on in High School wouldn't pass. He didn't pick and choose, he just made sure that you were committed by asking tough questions that require commitment and study. His upper level classes were much easier.

For Schadenfreude, I once saw a dude come into his office that had failed CJ1000 3 times. He had his newborn daughter with him; trying to pull at heartstrings. He even had the mother of his child with him.

He asked, "Why did I fail?".

My boss responded to the child instead and tickled her chin. He said, "Because you're daddy is an idiot!" and proceeded to make the child giggle.

One of the best moments I've ever seen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean let's be real here, schadenfreude literally only means deriving joy from suffering. We only apply the "because they deserved it" modifier around here because otherwise we'd be sadistic assholes. But it's hardly a necessary condition.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Volcott posted:

Here's someone trying to make opening boxes entertaining. I like it, YMMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Gb571RE_A

That wasn't the idiot I was expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXses0_z8dE

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Data Graham posted:

I mean let's be real here, schadenfreude literally only means deriving joy from suffering. We only apply the "because they deserved it" modifier around here because otherwise we'd be sadistic assholes. But it's hardly a necessary condition.

As a German, i respectfully disagree. Let me try to explain. A person getting hit in the face with a pie on a TV show is funny. A person getting hit in the face with a pie after they boasted about being the best pie-avoider in the world is Schadenfreude. A random bystander getting hit in the face with a pie by a stranger is neither.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RabbitWizard posted:

As a German, i respectfully disagree. Let me try to explain. A person getting hit in the face with a pie on a TV show is funny. A person getting hit in the face with a pie after they boasted about being the best pie-avoider in the world is Schadenfreude. A random bystander getting hit in the face with a pie by a stranger is neither.

This is SA's most-German post of the week.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RabbitWizard posted:

As a German, i respectfully disagree. Let me try to explain. A person getting hit in the face with a pie on a TV show is funny. A person getting hit in the face with a pie after they boasted about being the best pie-avoider in the world is ironic. A random bystander getting hit in the face with a pie by a stranger is also funny.

But all are schadenfreude?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know. There's a nazi thread in GBS.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know. There's a nazi thread in GBS.

Nazi is an american thing now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Nazi is an american thing now.

Ohhhhh, like we did with hamburgers. Got it.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Comeuppance Thread: What did you think was going to happen?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if the cop was lying about getting other reports about a drunk driver, but that also helps keep police honest since it's a lot more difficult to let another cop off when there are witnesses.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ohhhhh, like we did with hamburgers. Got it.

And they thought Freedom Fries was stupid. Wait until they see crinkle cut Facist Fries.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

I found an article on this that includes a longer video with the motorcyclist on the side of the road yelling at the driver. He apparently noticed the car driving erratically and tried was trying to get the license plate on his Go-Pro.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

Even if we're not strictly adhering to the meaning of the word, can we all agree that it's enjoyable to watch people falling down and animals being jerks and what apparently is just everyday life in Russia as long as nobody dies?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Also, no gore without a warning.

That's pretty much all the rules of the thread as I can remember em.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

That wasn't the idiot I was expecting.

Obligatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNLFp102d9A

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't see us climbing out of this hole any time soon so whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I found an article on this that includes a longer video with the motorcyclist on the side of the road yelling at the driver. He apparently noticed the car driving erratically and tried was trying to get the license plate on his Go-Pro.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows too close trying to go-pro his license plate?

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Pesticide20 posted:

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows too close trying to go-pro his license plate?

The joke's on you when the cops can read the impression of your license plate on my face. :smug:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

RabbitWizard posted:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger, comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Can I post pewdiepie getting scared videos in this thread?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ci_lKkZrv8

Popular video game youtuber pewdiepie gets scared by a spooky game and reacts

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Control Volume posted:

no

Control Volume posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ci_lKkZrv8

Popular video game youtuber pewdiepie gets scared by a spooky game and reacts

godammit

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Control Volume posted:

gently caress no.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Control Volume posted:

I would appreciate if you didn't post anymore videos

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
A troll sets up a fake location for the women's march, accidentally creates a real march with hundreds of people attending:

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/01/22/russian-prankster-organizes-fake-protest-uc-berkeley-hundreds-march-anyway/

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

oldpainless posted:

I would appreciate if you didn't post anymore videos

oldpainless more like oldappreciationless

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

nerdz posted:

A troll sets up a fake location for the women's march, accidentally creates a real march with hundreds of people attending:

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/01/22/russian-prankster-organizes-fake-protest-uc-berkeley-hundreds-march-anyway/

I've seen this situation before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I lose it when the big bucket gets knocked off to reveal the tiny one underneath, every loving time :lol: