Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I disagree? You have to be really invested in the story or really love clunky third person shooters which is definitely not true for everyone.

A third person shooter is pretty much the bog standard for a game most people can get to grips with. Like you don't get much more mass appeal than Uncharted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ausgoons, Target has Yakuza 0 for the exorbitant price of $59AU.

Motherfuck, I bought it for $80 at JB. Didn't even bother to check Target because the one in my town sucks rear end and usually just stocks COD and not much else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Motherfuck, I bought it for $80 at JB. Didn't even bother to check Target because the one in my town sucks rear end and usually just stocks COD and not much else.

Rookie mistake right there. Always check Target and Big W first, because they often undermine JB and EB's release-day prices by a good $10 at least.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

A third person shooter is pretty much the bog standard for a game most people can get to grips with. Like you don't get much more mass appeal than Uncharted.

There are a surprising amount of goons who have this weird seething hated for Uncharted 4 and treat it as if its proper garbage like that black tiger game. I mean cmon, get over yourself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I did check Big W at least, but their instore stuff has been almost as bad lately. They do at least ship off their site though, I guess. Bah!

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Ramagamma posted:

There are a surprising amount of goons who have this weird seething hated for Uncharted 4 and treat it as if its proper garbage like that black tiger game. I mean cmon, get over yourself.

It's because the Uncharted series is an incredibly average set of games with insanely high production value. Not being impressed by something you've seen done hundreds of times is not seething hatred.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 24, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

mrbass21 posted:

Although, TLOU used it for playing back tape recordings, and I thought that was great.

Same with the tapes from The Division

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SweetBro posted:

It's because the Uncharted series is an incredibly average set of games with insanely high production value. Not being impressed by something you've seen done hundreds of times is not seething hatred.

If you still regularly play videogames that dazzle you with new mechanics and gameplay elements then I am quite jealous because most big budget games are refinements on decades of past work.

I mean if the worst thing you can say about Uncharted is that it stands on the shoulders of its predecessors, that's still pretty high praise.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Alder posted:

Amazon warehouse has them for $226.95 and they have a good rep w/refurbished consoles. I got mine w/o UC:4 so it was slightly cheaper as I've never played any UC games before. As for new PS4 unless there's a promo it won't go below $250.

Cool thanks. This is what I was looking for.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Wandle Cax posted:

Speaking of controller features, what are some people's favorite uses of the speaker and lights. I liked how in Mad Max during the final mission you can hear ghostly voices through it. I like how in Rise of the Tomb raider the light changes colour depending on the light source lara is using.
Every time this comes up it should always be mentioned that Broforce has the controller light rapidly cycle between red, white and blue when you finish a level.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Possibly the only aspect of Fallout 4 I thought was interesting was the controller light turning green when you have your Pipboy torch on.

Also in GTA V you get sirens. It's pretty cool.

Pity the battery life on the DS4 is so garbage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kenny Logins posted:

Every time this comes up it should always be mentioned that Broforce has the controller light rapidly cycle between red, white and blue when you finish a level.

Dang, never noticed that.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I like the spray can mechanic in Second Son and that the light changes color based on the power you're using. I can't explain why the spray paint thing is so satisfying to me. Second Son and several games also use the controller for your phone, which is cool.

I like the light flicker in Tomb Raider and the sirens in GTAV. I also like that the light turns red when you die in TR.

I like that the light sensor changes color based on the Power Ranger you use in the Power Rangers game that just came out.

I know there are other examples, but I can't think of any others right now.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

is the power rangers game any good?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
When you turn your flashlight on in Destiny your controller lights up bright white which is neat.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Looke posted:

is the power rangers game any good?

It's a pretty standard game cut from the same cloth as games like Mighty Morphin the Movie back in the day. I've enjoyed it and feel like $15 is a fair price for it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Morby posted:

I like the spray can mechanic in Second Son and that the light changes color based on the power you're using. I can't explain why the spray paint thing is so satisfying to me. Second Son and several games also use the controller for your phone, which is cool.

I want to say the spray can also had vibration feedback when you shook it? It's been a long time but man the street art was such a good use of the controller gimmicks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SweetBro posted:

BB is the 5th game in a row that is basically the same. Except now the big draw is lessened by making it easier.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

BB is the 5th game in a row that is basically the same. Except now the big draw is lessened by making it easier.

:laffo:/:jerkbag:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Possibly the only aspect of Fallout 4 I thought was interesting was the controller light turning green when you have your Pipboy torch on.

Also in GTA V you get sirens. It's pretty cool.

Pity the battery life on the DS4 is so garbage.

I have a wireless bone controller on my PC using the same Eneloops that my 360 controllers and it's crazy how much more battery life it has. I consider that the bone controller still relying on old batteries is lazy (or buying a charge&play pack) but they last waaaaay longer than DS4's battery. Didn't the DS3 have a 1800mAh battery while DS4 has just 1000mAh? Cutting almost by half its capacity while adding permanent light (even dim) and voice features wasn't a smart move tbh.

I don't have issues with DS4 battery life since I play on a PC desk and I'm like 3 feet away from my PS4 so I always have a cable handy.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I bought one of those charging stations that both display your games and let you rest your controllers on top to charge them and ive never been bothered by battery life since.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I go back and forth between the PS3 and PS4 and the DS3 gets so much more life it's not even funny. I leave the DS4 plugged in permanently now.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Waltzing Along posted:

What the gently caress are you on about?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I agree, the more deliberate pacing and emphasis on stealth was an improvement compared to the previous iterations. It gave more room for the characters to grow and interact, and it curbed that "Tombs of War" feeling that made the previous games a bit tedious for me to play.

I just like the beautiful setpieces, the climbing and the campy story, no need to shove battalions of mercs down my throat every 2 minutes in fear that I'll get bored.

Problem is, the climbing parts were boring and Sam, the character you spend the most time with, was dull as dishwater most of the time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Problem is, the climbing parts were boring and Sam, the character you spend the most time with, was dull as dishwater most of the time.

I felt the opposite: climbing was rad (mostly because everything was pretty to look at) and Sam was a compelling character for me because an important person in my life has the same personality and mannerisms.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How is gravity rush 2?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I think you may just not like Soulsbourne very much. Nothing wrong with that but you're projecting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bloodborne was also the 4th game 🤓

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RC Cola posted:

How is gravity rush 2?

It's great

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wandle Cax posted:

I disagree, I think 1st person shooters are much easier to get into.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Just Offscreen posted:

What the gently caress are you on about?

The guy said that all the Uncharted games are the same, implying that was why souls games are better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes but what does that have to do with blood borne which does not play like the Souls games.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I love both the Uncharted series and the Souls games and Bloodborne but I would say Uncharted 4 is about as different in gameplay from the other Uncharted games as Bloodborne is from the Souls games (ignoring setting, obviously).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

loving how

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wasn't planning on getting Resident Evil 7 but Gamestop has a trade-in promotion right now so I guess I will if I can get it for like 70% off.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Uncharted 4's shooting feels different (to me), the climbing is different, it has a grappling hook now, you get to drive a jeep, it's got long stretches of "character development" which, like them or not, are new to the series (I don't mean that character development is new to the series, just the long quiet stretches). Bloodborne has a bunch of changes from the Souls game but it's kind of obtuse to pretend like it's not unmistakably part of the same series and that the formula wasn't pretty well-worn by the point when it came out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The only difference between the uncharted games is the grappling hook so pretending it is equivalent to the massive changes bloodborne made to the formula( for good or bad) is dumb.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Regy Rusty posted:

It's great

I guess I mean in comparison to the first game and is it worth $60

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RC Cola posted:

I guess I mean in comparison to the first game and is it worth $60

It's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only difference between the uncharted games is the grappling hook so pretending it is equivalent to the massive changes bloodborne made to the formula( for good or bad) is dumb.

I disagree about the changes in Uncharted 4 and I also think Bloodborne plays like a Souls game