Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Bringing Surge Pricing to Housing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mike12345 posted:

how do you keep the capsules from smelling like puke and poo poo after a few nights

why would you bother to?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Improbable Lobster posted:

i guess his dumb + bad bitcoin clone failed

Not at all !!!!!

Published 20th Jan
https://blog.synereo.com/2017/01/20/a-new-beginning-synereos-roadmap-and-mission-statement/

quote:

After an intense period of recalibration, reflection and resource assessment, the Synereo team is now confident enough in its plans to make the new Roadmap public.

Synereo’s mission has always been focused on putting the value generated by Internet denizens in their hands. Part of achieving this entails assigning full ownership and control of their social networks – their very own human connections online – to them.

The same goes for Synereo’s extended vision of establishing a platform for creating fully decentralized and distributed applications, with Attention Economy elements baked into the foundations of both the content and communication layers. With our upgraded mission and Roadmap, we’ve been able to elegantly merge these elements together, short-term leading into long.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

friend had a horrible coworker who would bring in a big bowl, a jar of cheese dip, a jar of mayo, dump them together and microwave until hot. then consume the whole thing in one sitting with a family sized bag of tortilla chips

:smith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the social network d'app powered by an attention economy

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ate all the Oreos posted:

im the social network d'app powered by an attention economy

I"m the decentralised CDN

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

a capsule hotel on a truck that comes to you! no need to talk with anyone. just press the button on the app and when the capsule hotel shows up, climb up the external ladder into your dynamically-selected sleeping pod! each capsule has a usb charger and spotify integration!

reminds me of the architect in The Holy Mountain

:nws: for 70s jodorowsky bush
https://youtu.be/FASvJF21yXU?t=1m7s

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

jre posted:

I"m the decentralised CDN

all the cool CDNs run P2P over DSL

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Steve Huffman, the thirty-three-year-old co-founder and C.E.O. of Reddit, which is valued at six hundred million dollars, was nearsighted until November, 2015, when he arranged to have laser eye surgery. He underwent the procedure not for the sake of convenience or appearance but, rather, for a reason he doesn’t usually talk much about : he hopes that it will improve his odds of surviving a disaster, whether natural or man-made. “If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the rear end,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m hosed.”

Huffman, who lives in San Francisco, has large blue eyes, thick, sandy hair, and an air of restless curiosity; at the University of Virginia, he was a competitive ballroom dancer, who hacked his roommate’s Web site as a prank. He is less focussed on a specific threat—a quake on the San Andreas, a pandemic, a dirty bomb—than he is on the aftermath, “the temporary collapse of our government and structures,” as he puts it. “I own a couple of motorcycles. I have a bunch of guns and ammo. Food. I figure that, with that, I can hole up in my house for some amount of time.”

Survivalism, the practice of preparing for a crackup of civilization, tends to evoke a certain picture: the woodsman in the tinfoil hat, the hysteric with the hoard of beans, the religious doomsayer. But in recent years survivalism has expanded to more affluent quarters, taking root in Silicon Valley and New York City, among technology executives, hedge-fund managers, and others in their economic cohort.

Last spring, as the Presidential campaign exposed increasingly toxic divisions in America, Antonio García Martínez, a forty-year-old former Facebook product manager living in San Francisco, bought five wooded acres on an island in the Pacific Northwest and brought in generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of ammunition. “When society loses a healthy founding myth, it descends into chaos,” he told me. The author of “Chaos Monkeys,” an acerbic Silicon Valley memoir, García Martínez wanted a refuge that would be far from cities but not entirely isolated. “All these dudes think that one guy alone could somehow withstand the roving mob,” he said. “No, you’re going to need to form a local militia. You just need so many things to actually ride out the apocalypse.” Once he started telling peers in the Bay Area about his “little island project,” they came “out of the woodwork” to describe their own preparations, he said. “I think people who are particularly attuned to the levers by which society actually works understand that we are skating on really thin cultural ice right now.”

In private Facebook groups, wealthy survivalists swap tips on gas masks, bunkers, and locations safe from the effects of climate change. One member, the head of an investment firm, told me, “I keep a helicopter gassed up all the time, and I have an underground bunker with an air-filtration system.” He said that his preparations probably put him at the “extreme” end among his peers. But he added, “A lot of my friends do the guns and the motorcycles and the gold coins. That’s not too rare anymore.”

When Marvin Liao, a former Yahoo executive who is now a partner at 500 Startups, a venture-capital firm, considered his preparations, he decided that his caches of water and food were not enough. “What if someone comes and takes this?” he asked me. To protect his wife and daughter, he said, “I don’t have guns, but I have a lot of other weaponry. I took classes in archery.”

Huffman has been a frequent attendee at Burning Man, the annual, clothing-optional festival in the Nevada desert, where artists mingle with moguls. He fell in love with one of its core principles, “radical self-reliance,” which he takes to mean “happy to help others, but not wanting to require others.” (Among survivalists, or “preppers,” as some call themselves, FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, stands for “Foolishly Expecting Meaningful Aid.”) Huffman has calculated that, in the event of a disaster, he would seek out some form of community: “Being around other people is a good thing. I also have this somewhat egotistical view that I’m a pretty good leader. I will probably be in charge, or at least not a slave, when push comes to shove.”

lmao

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

all guests are encouraged to review their capsule experience! likewise, all guests are reviewed by the capsule contractor-operator. if your guest review-rating falls below 4.0, you'll be disqualified from taking advantage of our capulse services(tm).

you don't need to provide a good experience, you just give people the illusion of control through gamification that a review will do anything. the idea is to get sucking directly off people's income, which is so low they can't afford to go anywhere else, then charge them so much they can never escape you mobile capsule-prison-on-wheels unless they're going somewhere you can skim their wages. if someone complains too much, kick them out and get someone else- where else in SV will you find a sleeping place for less that 100/night? also the cost scales with your income, meaning they take as much as they possibly can from you every single night. get people's loyalty by giving them "free" places on days they make nothing, charge them out the nose on payday. maximize net income by using algorithms to make sure you're taking as much as possible of your occupant's wages on a week-to-week and greater basis

and if they can't pay, lock the capsule and drive them to somewhere sunny and agreeable where they can work it off

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Steve Huffman, the thirty-three-year-old co-founder and C.E.O. of Reddit, which is valued at six hundred million dollars, was nearsighted until November, 2015, when he arranged to have laser eye surgery. He underwent the procedure not for the sake of convenience or appearance but, rather, for a reason he doesn’t usually talk much about : he hopes that it will improve his odds of surviving a disaster, whether natural or man-made. “If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the rear end,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m hosed.”

Huffman, who lives in San Francisco, has large blue eyes, thick, sandy hair, and an air of restless curiosity; at the University of Virginia, he was a competitive ballroom dancer, who hacked his roommate’s Web site as a prank. He is less focussed on a specific threat—a quake on the San Andreas, a pandemic, a dirty bomb—than he is on the aftermath, “the temporary collapse of our government and structures,” as he puts it. “I own a couple of motorcycles. I have a bunch of guns and ammo. Food. I figure that, with that, I can hole up in my house for some amount of time.”

Survivalism, the practice of preparing for a crackup of civilization, tends to evoke a certain picture: the woodsman in the tinfoil hat, the hysteric with the hoard of beans, the religious doomsayer. But in recent years survivalism has expanded to more affluent quarters, taking root in Silicon Valley and New York City, among technology executives, hedge-fund managers, and others in their economic cohort.

Last spring, as the Presidential campaign exposed increasingly toxic divisions in America, Antonio García Martínez, a forty-year-old former Facebook product manager living in San Francisco, bought five wooded acres on an island in the Pacific Northwest and brought in generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of ammunition. “When society loses a healthy founding myth, it descends into chaos,” he told me. The author of “Chaos Monkeys,” an acerbic Silicon Valley memoir, García Martínez wanted a refuge that would be far from cities but not entirely isolated. “All these dudes think that one guy alone could somehow withstand the roving mob,” he said. “No, you’re going to need to form a local militia. You just need so many things to actually ride out the apocalypse.” Once he started telling peers in the Bay Area about his “little island project,” they came “out of the woodwork” to describe their own preparations, he said. “I think people who are particularly attuned to the levers by which society actually works understand that we are skating on really thin cultural ice right now.”

In private Facebook groups, wealthy survivalists swap tips on gas masks, bunkers, and locations safe from the effects of climate change. One member, the head of an investment firm, told me, “I keep a helicopter gassed up all the time, and I have an underground bunker with an air-filtration system.” He said that his preparations probably put him at the “extreme” end among his peers. But he added, “A lot of my friends do the guns and the motorcycles and the gold coins. That’s not too rare anymore.”

When Marvin Liao, a former Yahoo executive who is now a partner at 500 Startups, a venture-capital firm, considered his preparations, he decided that his caches of water and food were not enough. “What if someone comes and takes this?” he asked me. To protect his wife and daughter, he said, “I don’t have guns, but I have a lot of other weaponry. I took classes in archery.”

Huffman has been a frequent attendee at Burning Man, the annual, clothing-optional festival in the Nevada desert, where artists mingle with moguls. He fell in love with one of its core principles, “radical self-reliance,” which he takes to mean “happy to help others, but not wanting to require others.” (Among survivalists, or “preppers,” as some call themselves, FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, stands for “Foolishly Expecting Meaningful Aid.”) Huffman has calculated that, in the event of a disaster, he would seek out some form of community: “Being around other people is a good thing. I also have this somewhat egotistical view that I’m a pretty good leader. I will probably be in charge, or at least not a slave, when push comes to shove.”

lmao

ok I guess I'll eat this rich guy first

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Johnson wishes that the wealthy would adopt a greater “spirit of stewardship,” an openness to policy change that could include, for instance, a more aggressive tax on inheritance. “Twenty-five hedge-fund managers make more money than all of the kindergarten teachers in America combined,” he said. “Being one of those twenty-five doesn’t feel good. I think they’ve developed a heightened sensitivity.”

Johnson said, “If we had a more equal distribution of income, and much more money and energy going into public school systems, parks and recreation, the arts, and health care, it could take an awful lot of sting out of society. We’ve largely dismantled those things.”

As public institutions deteriorate, élite anxiety has emerged as a gauge of our national predicament. “Why do people who are envied for being so powerful appear to be so afraid?” Johnson asked. “What does that really tell us about our system?” He added, “It’s a very odd thing. You’re basically seeing that the people who’ve been the best at reading the tea leaves—the ones with the most resources, because that’s how they made their money—are now the ones most preparing to pull the rip cord and jump out of the plane.”

insanely good stuff

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

I bet he's got a pretty mouth

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

insanely good stuff

quote:

When the Russian Imperial family threw a party, they didn’t do “low key”. Even with a looming global economic crisis that would mark the beginning of the end for the Russian Empire, no expense was spared. If tsarist Russia was going down, they were going out with a bang. And so, in February of 1903, on the eve of revolution, they threw the most obscenely opulent event the world had ever seen.

Nicholas’ brother-in-law, Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich recalled the occasion as “the last spectacular ball in the history of the empire…[but] a new and hostile Russia glared through the large windows of the palace…while we danced, the workers were striking and the clouds in the Far East were hanging dangerously low”.

All of us appeared in seventeenth-century court dress. Nicky wore the dress of Alexis, the second Romanov Tsar, all raspberry, gold and silver, and some of the things were brought specially from the Kremlin. Alicky was just stunning. She was Maria Miloslavskaya, Alexis’s first wife. She wore a sarafan of gold brocade trimmed with emeralds and silver thread, and her earrings were so heavy that she could not bend her head.

Grand Duke Michael had asked his mother to lend him a big diamond clip to wear as an aigrette in his fur cap. The clip was of fabulous value; it had belonged to Emperor Paul I, and the Dowager Empress wore it very seldom. She lent it to her son most reluctantly.

And Michael lost it! It must have fallen off his cap while he was dancing. My mother and he were in despair – the clip being one of the crown jewels. All the halls at the palace were searched that very night. At dawn the detectives searched from basement to attic. The diamond clip was never found. “

If they hadn't thrown this ball, the Russian royalty might have been exiled rather than murdered.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

you did it. you found the most pointless video on youtube

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

flakeloaf posted:

The voice from the crackly FM radio was still pouring forth its tale of wage slaves and venture capitalism and profit, but the shouting outside had died down a little. The cashiers were turning back to their work. One of them approached with the Fanta hose. Winston, sitting in a blissful dream, paid no attention as his cup was filled up. He was not running or cheering any longer. He was back in the McDonald's inside the Walmart, with everything forgiven, his soul white as snow. He was in the public lot, accepting everything, driving everybody. He was walking down the sodium-yellow parkade, with the feeling of walking in sunlight, and a grizzled passenger at his back. The long-hoped-for one-star vote was being beamed to his permanent record.

He gazed down at his enormous phone. Four years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath its garbage interface. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two Fanta-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Uber.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flakeloaf posted:

The voice from the crackly FM radio was still pouring forth its tale of wage slaves and venture capitalism and profit, but the shouting outside had died down a little. The cashiers were turning back to their work. One of them approached with the Fanta hose. Winston, sitting in a blissful dream, paid no attention as his cup was filled up. He was not running or cheering any longer. He was back in the McDonald's inside the Walmart, with everything forgiven, his soul white as snow. He was in the public lot, accepting everything, driving everybody. He was walking down the sodium-yellow parkade, with the feeling of walking in sunlight, and a grizzled passenger at his back. The long-hoped-for one-star vote was being beamed to his permanent record.

He gazed down at his enormous phone. Four years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath its garbage interface. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two Fanta-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Uber.
Snow Crash 2 lookin good

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-23/when-their-shifts-end-uber-drivers-set-up-camp-in-parking-lots-across-the-u-s

quote:

Forty years later, German Tugas, a 42-year-old Uber driver, got to know it for another reason: Its parking lot was a safe spot to sleep in his car. Tugas drives over 70 hours a week in San Francisco, where the work is steadier and fares are higher than in his hometown, Sacramento. So every Monday morning, Tugas leaves at 4 a.m., says goodbye to his wife and four daughters, drives 90 miles to the city, and lugs around passengers until he earns $300 or gets too tired to keep going. (Most days he nets $230 after expenses like gas.) Then, he and at least a half dozen other Uber drivers gathered in the Social Safeway parking lot to sleep in their cars before another long day of driving.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the last uber i took in SF the driver told me he lives in sac w/ his wife i bet it's really common

discussing uber w/ the drivers is always sooo depressing and they always bring it up it's like dude why do you do this to yourself delivering pizza is certainly more profitable

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

God drat :(

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

i always tip my Uber driver even tho it says not too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

uber drivers always talk about driving for uber ime. they also always talk about their other job too. i had one give me a card for a movie he was producing lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

one guy talked to me about how he was disabled and here for medical treatment but owned a beach house in ft. lauderdale and rented an apartment here. he then went on to talk about how he picked up women which was weird.

so i guess uber was working well for him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i did an uber pool back around thanksgiving where one of the other guys in the car showed me pics of his foot getting impaled by a stingray on the vacation he had just returned from

he was all hosed up on pain meds and was gettin dropped off at a bachelor party at a bar and p stoked about how he was retiring soon (before 40! wooo) due to facebook stock and i hope he died of alcohol poisoning/opiate adverse interactions that night

just waving it right in the uber driver's face (he was in front) about how he didn't give a gently caress he was rich and invincible

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Did he rub any magnets on his head during the ride

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

uber sells the illusion that you are an entrepreneur

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

quote:

Today, The New Zealand Herald is reporting that Peter Thiel has citizenship in New Zealand, a fact previously unknown to most in Silicon Valley. The revelation only came after the newspaper started to investigate a 477-acre property that Thiel had purchased in the country in 2015. The newspaper had inquired about why Thiel hadn’t gotten official approval to buy the property under foreign ownership laws. The paper was told that Thiel didn’t need it because he was a citizen.

Thiel, a billionaire who currently serves on President Donald Trump’s transition team, isn’t the only mega rich businessperson staking out a claim in New Zealand. According to The New Zealand Herald, people from outside the country bought up roughly 1,350 square miles of New Zealand property in the first ten months of 2016. The paper says that’s over four times as much as the same period in 2010.

“Saying you’re ‘buying a house in New Zealand’ is kind of a wink, wink, say no more,” Reid Hoffman, the co-founder of LinkedIn, told The New Yorker.

Some of those setting up apocalypse homes in New Zealand have genuine concerns that a Donald Trump presidency will destroy the United States in some fashion. This, of course, is a bit ironic given Thiel’s own role in the new administration.
http://gizmodo.com/peter-thiel-gains-new-zealand-citizenship-as-tech-elite-1791550567

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
burn the rich

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

burn the rich

without an estate tax this just transfers wealth to equally bad next of kin

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

without an estate tax this just transfers wealth to equally bad next of kin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Post apocalyptic new zealand filled with bunkers built for the hyper wealthy is a pretty sweet setting

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/backlon/status/806197333855584256

e: https://twitter.com/AndrewNCassidy/status/823974527314968577

just lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Agreed, lol at that guy for buying an Apple Watch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Trabisnikof posted:

Post apocalyptic new zealand filled with bunkers built for the hyper wealthy is a pretty sweet setting
:(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

it's p cool that they're concentrating themselves in a small area like that.

*studiously refers to a booklet titled US STRATEGIC FORCES, DISPOSITION AND CAPABILITY*

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
nz should just start claiming the right to tax their global holdings, and repossess the land when they don't comply

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so is thiel keeping a stock of young boys with "BLOODBAG" tattooed on their backs in his new zealand apocalypse house?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

so is thiel keeping a stock of young boys with "BLOODBAG" tattooed on their backs in his new zealand apocalypse house?

no social media

no lumps no bumps full life clear

---------------------------------------------------------
o-plus hi-octane universal donor
---------------------------------------------------------

run down on the palantir ash hills

keep ballgagged

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 24, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm sure when the poo poo goes down absolutely nobody in nz will have the idea to say dig a 4x4 foot trench across the road to a rich guy's private bunkerranch and ambush them while they're in the act of fleeing, (probably carrying millions of dollars in precious metals)

hell, mine the runway at san jose airport and get them all in one place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

I'm sure when the poo poo goes down absolutely nobody in nz will have the idea to say dig a 4x4 foot trench across the road to a rich guy's private bunkerranch and ambush them while they're in the act of fleeing, (probably carrying millions of dollars in precious metals)

hell, mine the runway at san jose airport and get them all in one place

you can't get the better of a computermans dummy, they are the smartest at everything

• Locked thread