Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Fat Shat Sings posted:

goons

I am trying to get someone to watch American Dad but they only watched the first season and have been reluctant to listen to how great it has gotten since.

If you had to pick one single episode to show someone from seasons 3 until now to get them to watch the show which would you pick?

While Ricky Spanish is amazing, but like the one that got away, you have to build up to it and have a sense of Roger as a character. i'll 2nd In Country Club and Jones for a Smith, and I'll add Gorillas in the mist, Irregarding Steve, Haylias and Vacation Goo for some earlier episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
I'd second Vacation Goo as a goo(d) beginning to the show... pretty much start at that episode and go forward from there. Meter Made is next, followed by Dope & Faith (lavate los manos!!)- those are 3 really strong eps that pretty much cover all the different family members, except for Jeff. But Jeff is an acquired taste, like Reginald

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If you're not worried about skipping around, Stan's Food Restaurant is a good one for showcasing Roger but without it getting too meta.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

I recommend any episode where Steve sings. This does include In Country, Club.

Can I Be Frank (With you?). has Boys12. So I choose that one.

That fart really calmed me down.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYtMYspzKBg

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hmm. Well that was pretty uh....interesting I guess.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No game plan? Just gonna, run through an alien ship?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Vietnamwees posted:

I want to say it makes sense in the context of the episode, but I can't remember anything about that episode except for the music video and what happens immediately afterwards.

Edit: Just rewatched the episode, the A plot was much stronger, probably because the B plot was just an excuse to do that video.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 21, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vietnamwees posted:

Yeah, it is pretty great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess because boy bands and music videos are ancient history at this point, I can see how people might miss what they're referencing. It's mostly a parody of Backstreets Back and Larger Than Life.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Adventures in Haleysitting was one of the stronger TBS ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No. 9 posted:

Adventures in Haleysitting was one of the stronger TBS ones.

That's not a TBS episode. That's season 8 episode 6.

The first TBS aired episode is Blonde Ambition in season 10.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

The Nastier Nate posted:

While Ricky Spanish is amazing, but like the one that got away, you have to build up to it and have a sense of Roger as a character. i'll 2nd In Country Club and Jones for a Smith, and I'll add Gorillas in the mist, Irregarding Steve, Haylias and Vacation Goo for some earlier episodes.

I agree on Ricky Spanish. It has way more impact if you know what Roger's deal is. I feel the same way about the one where he loses track of one of his personas that someone recommended. The person I'm showing this to just knows Roger as a sass talking effeminate alien. The very idea he can leave the house with a disguise would require explanation.

In Country Club seems to be the clear favorite but I'm a fan of Jones for a Smith myself. Although I'm surprised nobody recommended "Lost In Space." Not because I like the Wax Fang song it just seems like a good example to me of the shift in the shows overall attitude toward the bizarre / hilarious.

Thanks thread, I bet you kiss prostitutes.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 22, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Although I'm surprised nobody recommended "Lost In Space." Not because I like the Wax Fang song it just seems like a good example to me of the shift in the shows overall attitude toward the bizarre / hilarious.

I really liked Lost in Space, but I don't think that one works unless you know the backstory.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If you want to get risky, you could also always go with Blood Crieth Unto Heaven

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A good example of how much American Dad builds on fan's knowledge of the basic status quo is that in the latest episode, if you aren't familiar with the "Francine is dumb" jokes, her inexplicable academic knowledge of the Epic of Gilgamesh and it's translations wouldn't be nearly as funny.

And, while if Francine's dumbness is consistent is debatable, it's also nice that those jokes("Steve taught me averages with cupcakes!") can be used without making her a cartoonish drooling moron like pretty much every other "comedically dumb character" in fiction.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 22, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

bull3964 posted:

That's not a TBS episode. That's season 8 episode 6.

The first TBS aired episode is Blonde Ambition in season 10.

The best TBS episode is "The Unincludeds"

But Morming Mimosa, The 200 and Dreaming of a White Porsche Christmas are honorable mentions.

And I don't care what anyone says, but American Fung is good also.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh Snapple! posted:

If you want to get risky, you could also always go with Blood Crieth Unto Heaven

That one is amazing, but only if you love or are regularly involved with live theater.

WickedHate posted:

A good example of how much American Dad builds on fan's knowledge of the basic status quo is that in the latest episode, if you aren't familiar with the "Francine is dumb" jokes, her inexplicable academic knowledge of the Epic of Gilgamesh and it's translations wouldn't be nearly as funny.

And, while if Francine's dumbness is consistent is debatable, it's also nice that those jokes("Steve taught me averages with cupcakes!") can be used without making her a cartoonish drooling moron like pretty much every other "comedically dumb character" in fiction.

Francine is both really dumb and really smart at the same time. In another show this might come off as lazy writing, but on American Dad they find ways to make it work. There are just some things she knows an inexplicably large amount about and other things that she knows gently caress all about and there's no way of knowing which of those things is which until they come up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Like how she can drain a 2 litre of Sunkist in, like, a second.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Or that time she became a world famous marine biologist.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Like how she can drain a 2 litre of Sunkist in, like, a second.

Freaks people out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Heads up, Fox in the UK is showing the new eps only a few days after US broadcast!

'Ninety North, Zero West' is starting right now. Considering I was literally about to chromecast it to my TV, that's pretty good timing :toot:

I like that the Xmas eps are their own separate continuity.

Also, someone on the writing staff uses Grindr. Like, a lot.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

The Nastier Nate posted:

The best TBS episode is "The Unincludeds"

But Morming Mimosa, The 200 and Dreaming of a White Porsche Christmas are honorable mentions.

And I don't care what anyone says, but American Fung is good also.

I liked American Fung, mainly because it reminds me of when a Chinese conglomerate bought the Onion for a week.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This might be my favorite show ever

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

<Carol of the Bells sting>

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The_Doctor posted:

<Carol of the Bells sting>

Merry Christmas, everybody!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And from your rear end!

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Dystopian Nights is a really, really awesome prom theme idea.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sphyre posted:

Dystopian Nights is a really, really awesome prom theme idea.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/americandadtbs/status/822477551327031297

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wonder how Stan will react to Trump.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"I wanted the Republicans back in, but not like this! NOT LIKE THIS!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjlE0-SWyU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That's a very generous version of Trump.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

twistedmentat posted:

That's a very generous version of Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vGx3TW7Gv4

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
When does this come back

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

When does this come back

Couldn't find any dates, except a sole site that said April. :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nothing on their Twitter feed

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SeriesGuide says "Camp Campawanda" on April 3rd. Not sure where they got that though.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

all this time ive been convinced that trump was actually roger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Nope, he was Hillary.