Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blistex posted:

Here is what a 7 meter rise in sea-level does to the US's most vulnerable coastal areas.

Now check out the Chinese coastline after a 2m rise.

Also keep in mind this map of China's population density.

needs 50m rise to put the flat i just bought under water :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The Great Autismo! posted:

you can say

丢脸了 - you embarrass yourself/you lose face
没有脸 - you have no dignity/you have no face
素质差 - so uneducated/
不要脸 - you do not want dignity/you don't even want face
叫你生孩子没屁股眼 - i hope your kid is born without an rear end in a top hat
草泥马 / 肏你妈 - gently caress your mother

How about 'Trump will defeat Chinese imperialism'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wonder what the source of this was

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Jose posted:

I wonder what the source of this was

http://www.icrosschina.com/insideout/2015/0713/15291.shtml

quote:

New research by scientists at the Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) shows that China consumed 162,000 tons of antibiotics in 2013, or more than half of the global total. About 52 percent was used on livestock and 48 percent by humans. More than 50,000 tons ended up in the water and soil.

:catstare:

quote:

Shanghai Fudan University tested more than 1,000 children aged 8 to 11 in Shanghai, and Jiangsu and Zhejiang provincecs in April, and found that almost 60 percent of urine samples contained antibiotics.

About a quarter of the samples contained two or more antibiotics. Some showed as many as six kinds of antibiotics. The tests also found three kinds of antibiotics normally only used on livestock and poultry in the samples.

:catstare:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Are we supposed to know what that means?

Some poo poo about the harmonious olympics, and then "support the bank of china!" at the end.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

China and India's flagrant overuse of Antibiotics is going to be the end of us all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blistex posted:

China and India's flagrant overuse of Antibiotics is going to be the end of us all.

They're going to fix global warming by creating a plague that kills 2/3rds of the population.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

They're going to fix global warming by creating a plague that kills 2/3rds of the population.

in a shocking turn of events this is just everyone in india and china

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Incorporated is pretty good.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
When the super plague hits will the Chinese and Indians die first so I can mock them on the internet before I, too, die from it?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

That 48% of antibiotic consumption by weight was by humans is absolutely disgusting -- antibiotics are dosed by weight and there has to be at least ten pounds of animal for every person at least.

They're going to kill everyone with their loving plagues

raton fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 25, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

When the super plague hits will the Chinese and Indians die first so I can mock them on the internet before I, too, die from it?

So many of the infected will travel to the West and Westerners travel around so much domestically that you'd probably be safer in the Gobi than Oklahoma.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 25, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's pretty hard to wipe out first world populations with deadly disease.

The second people start to realize there's an un-treatable form of flesh eating bacteria running around the system will kick in and everyone will self quarantine. Remember when Ebola was running around the South (the South of all places), it barely infected anyone. We have the systems in place to handle virulent deadly diseases like that.

Antibiotic resistent STD's that take weeks or months or years to show symptoms like HIV? Yeah we hosed.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Accretionist posted:

Article: Eerie Photos Take You Down China’s Neon-Lit Alleyways

Fourteen great photos in the article. Even more in her instagram:

I hung out with Liam Wong last week when he came to HK, who is into the same style. His HK set isn't up yet, but there are some previews on his Twitter. It was hella cool to take someone around the whole of Kowloon for the first time and going hunting for neon lights.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

:stare: They keep their kids healthy the same way they keep their livestock healthy, just dose em all with whatever the gently caress.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LOL. There's those studies that using antibiotics more than X-times per lifetime increases cancer rates by quite a lot. Combined with the rest of the country being so polluted, I can imagine that having an AIDS-like immune system is going to kill a lot the current younger people as they get older. There's already enough bogus and unhealthy superstition built into the daily culture that harms many people, including the "take antibiotics for a cold" thing that they are so adamant about. We all have known so many Chinese people that are constantly ill, sick, feverish, and the pharmacists keep throwing antibiotics at them. It's a feedback loop.

When Trump brings back the draft and we're all on the front lines fighting for the Senkaku Diaoyu islands, we can count on the Chinese soldiers to be good and dosed on antibiotics as a preventative, impairing mental and physical function.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Outrail posted:

It's pretty hard to wipe out first world populations with deadly disease.

The second people start to realize there's an un-treatable form of flesh eating bacteria running around the system will kick in and everyone will self quarantine. Remember when Ebola was running around the South (the South of all places), it barely infected anyone. We have the systems in place to handle virulent deadly diseases like that.

Antibiotic resistent STD's that take weeks or months or years to show symptoms like HIV? Yeah we hosed.

Outbreak 2: The Plunge
A dangerous sexually transmitted virus threatens civilization after it goes airborne in this tense thriller. After a foreigner named Haier carrying a lethal virus is deported, an outbreak occurs in a Canadian town. To control the spread of the disease, a team of doctors is brought in that includes a TCM expert (Dustin Hoffman) and his ex-wife (Rene Russo). Once the Army intervenes to handle the situation, though, the doctors must fight against the clock to save face.
Release date: March 10, 2017 (USA)

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 25, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3159589/high-performance-computing/china-reminds-trump-that-supercomputing-is-a-race.html

quote:

China intends to develop a prototype of an exascale supercomputer by the end of 2017, tweaking an exascale delivery date that's already well ahead of the U.S. The timing of the announcement, reported by an official government news service, raised the possibility it was a message to President-elect Donald Trump.
Nothing out of the ordinary from an article about tech stuff when it comes to China. Something "ahead of schedule"? Amazing! China is really number one, Taiwan is number four.

Chinese news seems really boring now that Trump is turning the white house into a circus of Facebook-forwards-turned-reality.

--
EDIT:

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Outbreak 2: The Plunge
A dangerous sexually transmitted virus threatens civilization after it goes airborne in this tense thriller. After a foreigner named Haier carrying a lethal virus is deported, an outbreak occurs in a Canadian town. To control the spread of the disease, a team of doctors is brought in that includes a TCM expert (Dustin Hoffman) and his ex-wife (Rene Russo). Once the Army intervenes to handle the situation, though, the doctors must fight against the clock to save face.
Release date: March 10, 2017 (USA)
The reality is more like:

Patient ZERO - Martyr for Peace
A dangerous sexually transmitted virus threatens civilization after it goes airborne in this tense thriller. After a foreigner named Haier carrying a lethal virus is deported after infecting tens of women before a major holiday, causing spread of the virus across all of China, he takes an airplane to India. While in India, he takes a train between major cities in India. Due to air pollution in India being worse than China, he begins sneezing everywhere. Both China and India become infected and two billion people die, along with the West Coast of Canada, all of the UAE, parts of Korea and Japan (usually just the Uniqlos), London, all of Thailand, and the Desi parts of Chicago.

Will be hailed as the savior of the human race for taking down the biggest polluters? Find out in this exciting action-adventure!
Rated R for nudity, language, and abundance of fecal matter.
Release date: November 11, 2017.

Haier fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 25, 2017

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Sheep-Goats posted:

They're going to kill everyone with their loving plagues

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sammus posted:

:stare: They keep their kids healthy the same way they keep their livestock healthy, just dose em all with whatever the gently caress.

It's been said before, but pretty much every trip to the hospital/clinic results in the doctor giving the patient a grab-bag of random pills, some of them antibiotics (prescriptions in China directly profit the hospitals, and either directly or indirectly mean more profit for the doctors prescribing them . Naturally when antibiotics are handed out there are no instructions along with them, and the effects are never explained. The patients just take them until they feel better, and whatever is left over they down the second they have a cough. These pills get shared back and forth between family members, and it's common for grandparents to give their grandkids pills without telling the parents (because they are in the city working). My wife has told my mother in law to stop taking pills the doctor gives to her whenever she goes for a check-up, because she's eventually come around to the realization that TCM and uneducated Chinese doctors dispersing western medicine is not a good thing.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Talking about the pollution with my Chinese co-worker today: "I don't wear a mask because I believe that if you don't worry about that stuff it will pass through you and not hurt you."

Well OK then.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Haier posted:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3159589/high-performance-computing/china-reminds-trump-that-supercomputing-is-a-race.html

Nothing out of the ordinary from an article about tech stuff when it comes to China. Something "ahead of schedule"? Amazing! China is really number one, Taiwan is number four.

Chinese news seems really boring now that Trump is turning the white house into a circus of Facebook-forwards-turned-reality.

--
EDIT:

The reality is more like:

Patient ZERO - Martyr for Peace
A dangerous sexually transmitted virus threatens civilization after it goes airborne in this tense thriller. After a foreigner named Haier carrying a lethal virus is deported after infecting tens of women before a major holiday, causing spread of the virus across all of China, he takes an airplane to India. While in India, he takes a train between major cities in India. Due to air pollution in India being worse than China, he begins sneezing everywhere. Both China and India become infected and two billion people die, along with the West Coast of Canada, all of the UAE, parts of Korea and Japan (usually just the Uniqlos), London, all of Thailand, and the Desi parts of Chicago.

Will be hailed as the savior of the human race for taking down the biggest polluters? Find out in this exciting action-adventure!
Rated R for nudity, language, and abundance of fecal matter.
Release date: November 11, 2017.

Did you know that the dem thread in cspam think that killing the TPP and tarrif wars is what china wanted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Killing the TPP is definitely what they wanted because the whole point of the plan was to bypass china and do a shitload of business with everyone else in SE asia instead.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

yaffle posted:

Talking about the pollution with my Chinese co-worker today: "I don't wear a mask because I believe that if you don't worry about that stuff it will pass through you and not hurt you."

Well OK then.

HAHAHA! Well, I think he's partially right. Those masks don't help much unless they're truly air filtering gas masks. Even then you're still absorbing plenty of nasty poo poo, it's just that your lungs will be more comfortable. The second best choice is just not to worry about what you can't change.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's not too hard to order a 3M mask that costs just a couple of bucks more.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rodent is tied up and publicly shamed for 'stealing rice' in China

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4148092/Rat-tied-publicly-shamed-stealing-rice.html

is this real?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lol we are so hosed

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JaucheCharly posted:

It's not too hard to order a 3M mask that costs just a couple of bucks more.

Talked about this before, but unless you're actually wearing a respirator, you're not filtering more than a very, very small percentage of the pollution in the air. The people you see walking around with surgical masks are essentially breathing unfiltered air since they're not designed to filter anything smaller than people's phlegm and don't create an air-tight seal on the face. The disposable 3M masks with the filter sticking out of the front are a decent temporary solution, but the seal around the face can be problematic for some people.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Blistex posted:

Talked about this before, but unless you're actually wearing a respirator, you're not filtering more than a very, very small percentage of the pollution in the air. The people you see walking around with surgical masks are essentially breathing unfiltered air since they're not designed to filter anything smaller than people's phlegm and don't create an air-tight seal on the face. The disposable 3M masks with the filter sticking out of the front are a decent temporary solution, but the seal around the face can be problematic for some people.

This guy did fit tests and got > 90% efficiency with 3 kinds of the disposable N95 3M masks: http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/children/my-personal-fit-testing-heres-the-best-pollution-mask-for-me/ I'm sure if he did, most people could get better than a very small percentage.

The people wearing cloth surgical masks are for sure getting nothing but most things I've seen show the 3M ones do filter out a lot of >= 2.5nm particles.

The 3M masks are available at every 7-11 or Family Mart for p cheap and even cheaper online, I see most people wearing them these days. I dunno if it's regional but the people here do all sorts of protests about the pollution and most days I see > 50% of people wearing proper masks, and that number seems to be rising.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Haier posted:

LOL. There's those studies that using antibiotics more than X-times per lifetime increases cancer rates by quite a lot. Combined with the rest of the country being so polluted, I can imagine that having an AIDS-like immune system is going to kill a lot the current younger people as they get older. There's already enough bogus and unhealthy superstition built into the daily culture that harms many people, including the "take antibiotics for a cold" thing that they are so adamant about. We all have known so many Chinese people that are constantly ill, sick, feverish, and the pharmacists keep throwing antibiotics at them. It's a feedback loop.

Hmm sounds like western medicine is bad. Better stick to TCM

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blistex posted:

My wife has told my mother in law to stop taking pills the doctor gives to her whenever she goes for a check-up, because she's eventually come around to the realization that TCM and uneducated Chinese doctors dispersing western medicine is not a good thing.

Right there. Can Western doctors prescribe TCM in China? If no, then Chinese doctors can't give you western pills.

Would that convince anyone? Or is it the same as western idiots using homeopathy and eastern methods prescribed by a white dipshit wearing a robe?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

lol we are so hosed

2 or 3 out of 5 of our grandkids are gonna be dying from formerly easily treatable diseases like tuberculosis, like it was the 19th century all over again. There was an article on the paper today on how China casually uses colistin to treat livestock in massive amounts, ruining the only really effective antibiotic left for the whole planet. After antibiotics are finally done for, the plagues begin.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Some idiot has been on the street corner with a portable karaoke box singing very loudly and very poorly for at least two hours now. It's a beautiful sunny day but I have stuff to do and can't just leave where I am. I hate how there are no rules or laws here about public noise (or never enforced if there are). Every shop has a speaker blasting lovely music or ads 14 hours a day and nobody cares. There's never any peace and I am sure it contributes to people's mental "edge," including my own.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
OOPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIpfC4qMOJY

LMAO

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

barbecue at the folks posted:

There was an article on the paper today on how China casually uses colistin to treat livestock in massive amounts, ruining the only really effective antibiotic left for the whole planet.

Could we just not tell them the next time we develop one?

...Why did we tell them this time?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Beachcomber posted:

Could we just not tell them the next time we develop one?

...Why did we tell them this time?

Part of the problem is that if you want approval for an antibiotic from, e.g., the FDA, or to get a patent, you need to give them the chemical structure and often a method for synthesis. The info is now public but because Americans and Europeans respect copyrights and because breaches are enforced, it's ok.

But then there's China.

The alternative is to not publish the chemical data publicly but that opens up a whole new set of problems regarding transparency, reproducibility, independent verification, etc.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Bacteriophages are neat and the soviets and french had fairly good results with them. If it all goes to poo poo we will probably devote some actual research and production towards them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wouldn't be hugely surprised if there were a government project somewhere in the CDC or somewhere in Europe to create a new antibiotic and stockpile it for exactly that reason. It would be a stretch but it would make sense.

Part of the problem here is that we haven't been putting a ton of effort into new antibiotics as long as the old ones are still working because we already have the easy ones and there's not a lot of money in making new ones.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
As I understand it Colistin is an old antibiotic that was phased out of use due to its side effects. Nothing ha a resistance to it because of that so it's deployed as a last resort sucker punch when someone has an infection resistant o everything else.

Apart from in China, it seems. Do they understand the whole reason it is still effective? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Telsa Cola posted:

Bacteriophages are neat and the soviets and french had fairly good results with them. If it all goes to poo poo we will probably devote some actual research and production towards them.

This was also what was used pre-antibiotics, called phage therapy.

• Locked thread