Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

passed a tech screen, then shortly after the congratulatory email an updated message notifies that the position is on a hold for budgetary reasons. lol well

hobbesmaster posted:

even embedded is web dev now - just need one guy to figure out how to shoehorn node.js onto a armv5 and then everyone else can just write JavaScript that executes so slowly there's a 10s lag between a button press and your IoT light bulb turning on!

Johnny-Five?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

passed a tech screen, then shortly after the congratulatory email an updated message notifies that the position is on a hold for budgetary reasons. lol well

lol, I have had to-date 3 jobs fall apart between "we want to make you an offer!" and an actual offer letter. "actually we just combined departments and now the new vp wants to offshore that group" "hiring freeze" and "just hired this guy we've known for like 10 years instead unexpectedly"

job hunting is garbage

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximo Roboto posted:

much better than taking the job and then finding out they're financially hosed

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If google reaches out for you, but wants you to relocate to diff. country, how likely it is that it will fall through anyway?

Asking for a friend (seriously :v:)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Xarn posted:

If google reaches out for you, but wants you to relocate to diff. country, how likely it is that it will fall through anyway?

Asking for a friend (seriously :v:)

pre interview, pre offer, or post offer?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

If it's to the US they'd likely be put somewhere else while the visa is pending. E.g. the Dublin office or London office (for now lol) for EU residents. This limbo period can easily take a year depending on the type of application they can get with their credentials.

This is much less of a problem for countries with functioning governments tho

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
Took a screener/coding puzzle for a local nonprofit that places people from non-traditional educational backgrounds into apprenticeships, and bombed it hard. Everything that I ever learned flew out one ear, leaving me staring like an idiot at the screen.

Just means I need to practice more, I guess. I never suffered from testing anxiety before, but I guess I must have picked it up. :smith:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just started newjob yesterday, how typical is it that you dont do poo poo for the first while?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

St Evan Echoes posted:

just started newjob yesterday, how typical is it that you dont do poo poo for the first while?

pretty typical, amplify it if its a big company

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i took me weeks to do anything at all at my current job. don't sweat it

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

leper khan posted:

pre interview, pre offer, or post offer?
Pre offer. Also its in the EU.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Like completely nothing, or "getting PC, accounts, etc" nothing? The first hasn't happened to me, the second is pretty standard for couple of days.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh my god some of these contracting companies are so stupid on rates, no I'm not going to take what I was making 8 years ago because there's "potential to go permanent" that just means they'll lowball me on permanent salary too

St Evan Echoes posted:

one job I had a while back they didn't even get me a computer for 2 weeks

just chill and introduce yourself to people

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Xarn posted:

Pre offer. Also its in the EU.

Like completely nothing, or "getting PC, accounts, etc" nothing? The first hasn't happened to me, the second is pretty standard for couple of days.

I've installed a bunch of software and got my JIRA and confluence setup and that's about it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
new hires at my current place aren't expected to be able to do anything productive for the first month.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

at my last job it was a few hours of orientation then you were expected to work; at new job it sounds like a few days of orientation at least. i've interviewed places that were more like "were gonna bootcamp you internally for minimum six months before you touch anything of value" which was kinda cool tbh (then they offered me a deece 5 figgies for a fintech job)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is kind of a weird situation because its a well established company but its a brand new office, they took back all their outsourced products and created this office to take ownership of them

so like, everyone's been here less than 6 months. most have been here less than 2 months. maybe there's genuinely not much to do while the products are handed over from third parties, idk

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Bloody posted:

i've interviewed places that were more like "were gonna bootcamp you internally for minimum six months before you touch anything of value" which was kinda cool tbh (then they offered me a deece 5 figgies for a fintech job)

where are these mystical bootcamp companies where real training and on-boarding are provided. i only know of Facebook and '70s/'80s IBM/HP/DEC

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a fintech startup in the boston area that pays like crap

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
welp they said they would have a decision by mon/tues, no email or phone call yet. I'm hoping the radio silence is just means they're slow/something came up.

gonna fire off an email to their internal recruiter on Friday if I don't hear anything, all I want is a "we selected another candidate" so I'm not holding out hope

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
in what sector do dolphins most often find employment as programmers?

fintech

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

not sure if i still have the fed job i was hired for and i guess neither does the agency??
:rip: me time to go work on the farm i guess

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rt4 posted:

in what sector do dolphins most often find employment as programmers?

fintech

pod programming

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Maximo Roboto posted:

where are these mystical bootcamp companies where real training and on-boarding are provided. i only know of Facebook and '70s/'80s IBM/HP/DEC

For recent grads both samsung and AMD did a departmental rotation program for process engineers when I worked at them. The recent grads would spend about 3 months going through all the departments and then they'd ask for a particular department where they liked the people or found the process interesting, and the departments had a chance to request certain new hires after they rotated through.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

not sure if i still have the fed job i was hired for and i guess neither does the agency??

in one of the c-spam threads a military guy was saying that new hires that had accepted offers but not started yet were being told they didn't have a job anymore

shits hosed

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender

St Evan Echoes posted:

my last job I was expected to start writing code in the first/second week (but nothing critical - my first project was to analyze log files for performance measurements to guide future development)

my current job I started last week, it's a late stage startup where they want to move from a startup development culture to a more mature one (I was hired as a manager to help with this but also do dev work). so on day one I was expected to start writing code, by day three they were asking me how I wanted to do iteration planning (they had a terrible scrum process that wasn't working). I find it depends a lot on the field, the company/culture, and your skill level. I like diving in right away and learning by breaking everything

Shaman Linavi posted:

terrible time to start (or even have) a fed job :( I was thinking about going in that direction but there was too much uncertainty. so I want to a startup instead. much more stable

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shaman Linavi posted:

go in and talk to HR and ask them when your first check should clear.

if they tell you you don't have a job, take your signed offer letter to an employment lawyer. don't threaten HR with this, just do it.

:rip: :gop:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Most sane employers don't expect you to be anywhere close to productive in your first month unless you're a very expensive consultant explicitly being brought on for a specific job. most sane employers won't expect you to be self-sufficient until about six monthsish

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

Most sane employers don't expect you to be anywhere close to productive in your first month unless you're a very expensive consultant explicitly being brought on for a specific job. most sane employers won't expect you to be self-sufficient until about six monthsish

As someone who has walked in on day one, started working, and shipped key features within my first week at the past three jobs I've had this just sounds crazy. If I'm not mostly self directing by the end of the first month something feels sideways.

Maybe I should just try to bill myself as a very expensive consultant.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if youre ever productive in your job

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

leper khan posted:

shipped key features within my first week

my first product launch was 2 years and 3 months from my start date

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

my first product launch was 2 years and 3 months from my start date

I might almost hit this on the head. :stare:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i was doing heck of work in my first week at my current job, and last job too. i'm a v good employee imo.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it takes me a long time to configure my coding rig

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I started feeling productive-ish and contributing value by about end of month 2 here, seems pretty average to me

not a dev, tho, i can see how dev could be a lot more sit down, set up buildchain, start coding than program management work

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Oh yeah all those productive valuable things twitch provides

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

Most sane employers don't expect you to be anywhere close to productive in your first month

first month?

my last fin-tech job guaranteed you a 100% bonus for your first year, because no one could honestly expect you to get up to speed that fast

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

St Evan Echoes posted:

I've installed a bunch of software and got my JIRA and confluence setup and that's about it

getting jira and confluence in your first week is a sign your employer is unusually on-the-ball.

it's a good thing </martha stewart>

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
here we don't expect much of you for 6mo, no matter your background. most people don't trust you to work on anything big until about a year

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
jfc if I wasn't working on anything for a year I'd probably just quit. probably wouldn't even make it that long on only garbage assignments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

leper khan posted:

go in and talk to HR and ask them when your first check should clear.
:rip: :gop:

actually i got a call this morning from HR and they said they are still going through with all the hiring until they get told to stop so :shrug:

my heart did stop for a bit when i saw their number come up though

• Locked thread