Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Between my current job being full of stagnating, "do-as-your-told" developers and my interest in new languages, technologies, etc, I've got a lot of different languages under my belt (not mastered, granted).
What would be the consensus on presenting myself in a resume when looking for a :yotj:? Do I 1) Try to show myself as a jack of all trades? or 2) Pick just one or two languages / skill sets to list? I'm just worried that being able to do a bunch of different things would be considered a liability when hiring someone into a developer-type position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I've seen resumes with keyword sections divided roughly as "strong in", "capable in", and "interested in". It's a good way to show you're doing more than one thing but are self aware enough to rate yourself.

edit: this is probably more suited to the Newbies/Oldies get a job threads.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mezzanine posted:

Between my current job being full of stagnating, "do-as-your-told" developers and my interest in new languages, technologies, etc, I've got a lot of different languages under my belt (not mastered, granted).
What would be the consensus on presenting myself in a resume when looking for a :yotj:? Do I 1) Try to show myself as a jack of all trades? or 2) Pick just one or two languages / skill sets to list? I'm just worried that being able to do a bunch of different things would be considered a liability when hiring someone into a developer-type position.

Tailor resumes to employers and present yourself as competent to the job description(s)

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Mezzanine posted:

Covertly introduce new languages into everything you touch. They will learn to appreciate the way your Node.js script shells out to both Go and Eve! Your code should install all the tools it needs as a side-effect, to reduce friction.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Destroyenator posted:

I've seen resumes with keyword sections divided roughly as "strong in", "capable in", and "interested in". It's a good way to show you're doing more than one thing but are self aware enough to rate yourself.

edit: this is probably more suited to the Newbies/Oldies get a job threads.

Is there any general way places prefer to see that organized? I've just been saying "main things" and "familiar things." Main languages and technologies are anything I've done something significant in and use regularly, either at work or for my own projects. Familiar is stuff I've used or read about but haven't used a ton. Does that sound appropriate?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Mniot posted:

Covertly introduce new languages into everything you touch. They will learn to appreciate the way your Node.js script shells out to both Go and Eve! Your code should install all the tools it needs as a side-effect, to reduce friction.

You need to stay a step ahead. Make today's project install the tools you want to use for tomorrow's project.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I'm only involved at a technical interview stage so I don't know about HR / recruiter preferences.

Ideally you seperate the things you can go into depth in like "I work in Java every day, I can talk about the jvm, standard tooling, best practices, libraries etc." and your more incidental stuff like "I have done some work on small Python projects or scripting and am happy reading and writing it but I'm pulling up a reference a lot and can't tell you the current best web framework". It helps make your past experience clear and gives you more to talk about without opening yourself up to someone asking you c++ minutiae.

"I've read a bunch about this but haven't had a chance to try it" probably shouldn't be on a resume unless it's clearly a "I'm interested in blah" and that aligns with the job posting.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Thanks for the input everyone! I guess I'll just revamp my resume as it is and then tailor it to any specific offers that I run across.

I just really want out of this situation I'm in. I was working for a Japanese app developer in Japan, then moved back to the US. They offered to keep me on as a contracted worker, so now I do basically the same job and workload remotely from home. Pay is paltry. Not only is it low by industry standards, but they pay me in JPY which means my pay has gone down by about 10% since last October (thanks, you orange gently caress). Hours are kinda crappy: 9AM~12PM, 2-3 hours before 6PM, then 7PM~10PM so that I'm available for real-time communication with the Japanese office during their AM. Plus because the US is behind JP, I have to work Sunday nights to match up with Monday morning in JP.

I thought it would be refreshing to just grind out code during the day over here while everyone is sleeping, not having to worry about meetings and constantly being on call. Unfortunately, specs are always half-assed, our design materials are just a series of screenshot-sized pngs with no details, numbers, etc. Plus, because the state of the company isn't all that great, they're double-billing for me on two simultaneous projects for the same client, so I can't even use their repositories directly because "they'll see that you're committing code for a project that someone else is supposed to be doing".

Please, someone. Anything either in the Orlando area, or remote.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mezzanine posted:

Anything either in the Orlando area, or remote.

How are you on relocating?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Volmarias posted:

How are you on relocating?

Not for the foreseeable future, I'm afraid. Wife wants to work at Disney World and kiddo just started school here. It would have to either be in the Orlando area or remote.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanine posted:

Thanks for the input everyone! I guess I'll just revamp my resume as it is and then tailor it to any specific offers that I run across.

I just really want out of this situation I'm in. I was working for a Japanese app developer in Japan, then moved back to the US. They offered to keep me on as a contracted worker, so now I do basically the same job and workload remotely from home. Pay is paltry. Not only is it low by industry standards, but they pay me in JPY which means my pay has gone down by about 10% since last October (thanks, you orange gently caress). Hours are kinda crappy: 9AM~12PM, 2-3 hours before 6PM, then 7PM~10PM so that I'm available for real-time communication with the Japanese office during their AM. Plus because the US is behind JP, I have to work Sunday nights to match up with Monday morning in JP.

I thought it would be refreshing to just grind out code during the day over here while everyone is sleeping, not having to worry about meetings and constantly being on call. Unfortunately, specs are always half-assed, our design materials are just a series of screenshot-sized pngs with no details, numbers, etc. Plus, because the state of the company isn't all that great, they're double-billing for me on two simultaneous projects for the same client, so I can't even use their repositories directly because "they'll see that you're committing code for a project that someone else is supposed to be doing".

Please, someone. Anything either in the Orlando area, or remote.

I have yet to see a place that isn't a poo poo show, so don't hold out hope in that regard.
Orlando isn't know for great wages, either.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mniot posted:

Die. I have a list of languages in use in our tech stack on my whiteboard (17) with the adage "To add one you must remove two."

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hughlander posted:

Die. I have a list of languages in use in our tech stack on my whiteboard (17) with the adage "To add one you must remove two."

Ok. I'll add Algol 60 and remove c++ and java. You don't need two algols, so I'll just give you the ancestor. :v: hth

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

leper khan posted:

Ok. I'll add Algol 60 and remove c++ and java. You don't need two algols, so I'll just give you the ancestor. :v: hth

Go for it! Should only be about 1MM LOC. And I'd get a kick out of Algol 60 emscripten cross compile...

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Gildiss posted:

I have yet to see a place that isn't a poo poo show, so don't hold out hope in that regard.
Orlando isn't know for great wages, either.

Well, drat... right now my gross is around 40~50, so as long as it's not that low I could probably stomach it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanine posted:

Well, drat... right now my gross is around 40~50, so as long as it's not that low I could probably stomach it.

Dependant on experience and domain, it could be.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Gildiss posted:

Dependant on experience and domain, it could be.

Assuming he's doing Android app development means he'd know Java, so Glassdoor says $60 is the low end for the area https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/orlando-java-salary-SRCH_IL.0,7_IM645_KO8,12.htm

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah I have about 5 years of experience with both iOS (not recently as much, so I need to brush up on Swift) and Android. Web stuff is mostly Rails and various JS frameworks, PHP for backend, y'know. All of my professional experience in Japan, though, so I know basically nothing about Agile and such, which would probably be a big handicap when coming onto a team over here.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanine posted:

Yeah I have about 5 years of experience with both iOS (not recently as much, so I need to brush up on Swift) and Android. Web stuff is mostly Rails and various JS frameworks, PHP for backend, y'know. All of my professional experience in Japan, though, so I know basically nothing about Agile and such, which would probably be a big handicap when coming onto a team over here.

Lol no one else knows about agile so you're good on that front.
Should be able to get something better there if that is the case.
Better being relative of course.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Work's now scheduling the two-day "lock-everyone-in-a-hotel-conference-room-and-make-them-code-our-website" codeathons in a city 2~3 hours away from me for twice a month now until the site gets deployed. Still no word on how we're compensated for the hotel rooms. :shepface:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

Work's now scheduling the two-day "lock-everyone-in-a-hotel-conference-room-and-make-them-code-our-website" codeathons in a city 2~3 hours away from me for twice a month now until the site gets deployed. Still no word on how we're compensated for the hotel rooms. :shepface:

:sever:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol - has anyone said how terrible this idea is to anyone that matters?

They are wrecking you guys

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Please repost the job ad that your place put up recently, want full context for this whole situation on display.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gildiss posted:

Please repost the job ad that your place put up recently, want full context for this whole situation on display.

The ad got taken down, but here's what I posted:

quote:

Expedited Processing for Your Application

You can secure expedited processing for your application (to /dev/null) by demonstrating any of the following symptoms or conditions:

- Your response to this post is transparently part of an impersonal mass-application effort;
- you are an opportunist who routinely and surreptitiously courts recruiters or attends interviews in an effort to score an improbable raise or other enhancement to your already-superior working conditions;
- you view yourself as a rare and elite developer but have less than three years full-time professional engineering experience, and believe employers should be grateful to expend three hours discovering these facts about you;
- you have never programmed professionally with Python;
- you are in the process of wrapping up a Masters degree, have taken some relevant course work, and can't speak meaningfully about any nontrivial problems you have personally solved with software.

They also had a challenge for prospective employees to decode some base64. Guess what that challenge leads to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As for the job, I'm only here until I can get my insurance to cover my surgery. Can't exactly rely on COBRA with the cheeto-in-chief around. For various reasons, I've started to really hate this place, and the camel's back is starting to break. I've wondered if I'm just too sensitive to bullshit, but since everyone agrees to :sever:, I'll avoid getting pissed on in this well.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Pollyanna posted:

The ad got taken down, but here's what I posted:

Stunning.

It's not as funny from the employee side (since it's only one person being totally tone-deaf) but an acquaintance complained that he was getting no interviews. I looked at his resume and the "objective" was a half-page screed on how Agile is poo poo and managers are clueless gently caress-ups. Unclear who he thought was going to be reading his resume...

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Send an invoice to HR. If HR doesn't exist, the CEO. If it's not in your next check, :sever:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sorry to multipost, but how much information are JIRA stories and subtasks expected to hold? I'm regularly assigned tasks now that have nothing but a title and a parent story with often outdated use cases, and I have to ask around in order to get the details. The tickets aren't individual units of work that hold everything a developer needs in order to complete the task, and I expected that to be standard across JIRA boards.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I'd expect tickets to be more rigorously defined, especially for developers who have just joined onto the team.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

quote:

you are an opportunist who routinely and surreptitiously courts recruiters or attends interviews in an effort to score an improbable raise or other enhancement

Opportunist=developer that knows their own worth

Every developer should be doing exactly what this statement is trying to dissuade. Ironically, the best developers are likely to be the ones with a robust professional network, practical knowledge of salary trends/marketability, and a deep understanding of how businesses can and do try to gently caress you over. This company clearly prefers meek, naive developers that they can treat as slaves.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

leper khan posted:

Send an invoice to HR. If HR doesn't exist, the CEO. If it's not in your next check, :sever:

He shouldn't have bought anything with his own money at all. If he did and it's not on a company CC then he dun hosed up.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Sorry to multipost, but how much information are JIRA stories and subtasks expected to hold? I'm regularly assigned tasks now that have nothing but a title and a parent story with often outdated use cases, and I have to ask around in order to get the details. The tickets aren't individual units of work that hold everything a developer needs in order to complete the task, and I expected that to be standard across JIRA boards.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I'd expect tickets to be more rigorously defined, especially for developers who have just joined onto the team.
Your question is focusing on the tool, but I think what you really want to know is how much info should a dev be expected to be given when assigned a task.

It depends, some of my stuff involves doing detective work and setting up meetings about specs. The thing doesn't get estimated until the specs are settled and most everything is estimated. Sounds like you have a process problem higher up the process stream.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
At my company Marketing is in charge of "Anything customer facing."
This includes the GUI of our product. That's cool; I can deal with that. But the marketing director hates engineering (engineering was apparently awful to work with years ago and the marketing director still thinks it's like that.) Even worse is that the marketing director is very good friends with the CEO and nepotism is giving him super rose colored glasses.

five months ago:

:v: Hey, the backend is almost feature complete, could you start working on a design for the GUI?

:downs: Sure can!

Three months ago:
:v: Hey, do you have a GUI? I am wasting a ton of time making sure all the features are working via front end api calls because I am forced to make a beta GUI and add these features temporarily.

:downs: Oh, we haven't started on it yet, you haven't provided 100% of the engineering spec.

:v: What? There is only one small issue remaining, there are 19 other pages you could have done in that time.

:saddowns: No, we aren't going to work on it at all until you give us 100% of everything.

This lead to a huge argument, a meeting with the CEO, the marketing director calling engineering a bunch of code monkeys, one of our engineers threatening to quit, and in the end, the CEO told me to just wait on the GUI until I had 100% of everything working. 10 minutes later in a private meeting with him, he agreed with me and wondered why the marketing director couldn't work on all the other parts of the GUI. Too late now!
I sent a email confirming that he wanted marketing to wait on the GUI until I could fix the last hardware issue, he agreed.

Two weeks ago:
:downs: We hired a guy to markup the javascript/html/css!

:v: WHAT? Who is he?
:downs: Oh, he's a senior web programmer we got from ROBERT HALF.

:negative: Did he provide code samples?
:downs: What are those?

:negative: How does he know how to layout the pages so I can integrate our backend code easily?
:downs: Oh, don't worry about that, we are paying him a lot of money, so he should do a great job!

:negative: Why wasn't I consulted AT ALL?
:saddowns: Marketing is in charge of the GUI, you don't need to worry yourself about any of that!

This lead to ANOTHER meeting with me telling the marketing director (politely) to take his head out of his rear end and please for the love of god just work with me. The CEO eventually just said, "well marketing didn't know they needed to do those things."

Two days ago:
:downs: Here is a ROUGH DRAFT of the GUI, what do you think?

:negative: Uh, I know it's a rough draft, but there are huge chunks of things missing that are in the spec. Why did this take so long? It's a simple bootstrap.js design, this shouldn't have taken almost 2 months.

:downs: Look, we just need you to start integrating the draft.

:colbert: No, you need to provide me with 100% of everything before I even start intigrating the GUI.

:saddowns: YOU ARE BEING UNREASONABLE!

This lead to another argument, more emails, another director getting involved that I was being "too mean." and that I should "tone it down."

At this point, I moved the project deadline another month weeks because marketing hasn't given me poo poo that I can work with. This lead to yet ANOTHER meeting were I people tried to blame me for the delay because I refuse to work 80+ hour weeks to get this done. The CEO asked me what it would take to get it done on time and quickly decided to agree with me when I said overtime pay.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

Mezzanine posted:

Should be straight forward for you to get a significant pay bump. Company I work for has several top 10 grossing apps, and we can't hire enough people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

Pollyanna posted:

I've wondered if I'm just too sensitive to bullshit

This is not a thing that a healthy company does. Sever at your very first opportunity.

Mezzanine posted:

Mezzanine posted:

You could make 6 figures easily if you were willing to relocate, even for contract work. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're going to have to scrape around for remote contacting work instead, so work on networking with other people in the industry for leads.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

ratbert90 posted:

He shouldn't have bought anything with his own money at all. If he did and it's not on a company CC then he dun hosed up.

To be clear, this isn't how things ought to be. Three weeks ago I said "I'd like better headphones and keyboard and some other basic equipment, here's an Amazon link showing that it's ~$250" and my boss wrote back "that looks fine". I submitted a screenshot of my checkout page and got reimbursed in my paycheck the following week. This isn't something I've had problems with at prior jobs, either.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I've never had an employer who paid for my headphones, but now that I think about it I don't know why not. Right now I have a laptop with two extra monitors, an extra keyboard and mouse, two docking stations, two power bricks, and this fancy jabber-integrated headset package. But all I need is a laptop and headphones, and work only gives me half of that.

The first thing fresh devs are told is even, "buy a good pair of headphones."

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

lifg posted:

I've never had an employer who paid for my headphones, but now that I think about it I don't know why not. Right now I have a laptop with two extra monitors, an extra keyboard and mouse, two docking stations, two power bricks, and this fancy jabber-integrated headset package. But all I need is a laptop and headphones, and work only gives me half of that.

The first thing fresh devs are told is even, "buy a good pair of headphones."

My last job was in an open office, and boy did I not enjoy that. We'd just gotten a new office space and the office manager kept scheduling construction in the middle of the workday because nothing helps you write code like a team drilling through concrete and sheet metal 30 feet away. Even without construction it was loving loud. The whole dev team complained a bunch and we were ignored. I finally said "how about some really nice noise-cancelling headphones for everyone? It couldn't be more than $300 each." They said "no", and that was pretty much the last straw for me.

I'm now at a remote position and loving the quiet and seclusion. The headphones are nice for our video chats or when I'm at a coworking space and want some music.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ratbert90 posted:

At my company Marketing is in charge of "Anything customer facing."
This includes the GUI of our product. That's cool; I can deal with that. But the marketing director hates engineering (engineering was apparently awful to work with years ago and the marketing director still thinks it's like that.) Even worse is that the marketing director is very good friends with the CEO and nepotism is giving him super rose colored glasses.

five months ago:

:v: Hey, the backend is almost feature complete, could you start working on a design for the GUI?

:downs: Sure can!

Three months ago:
:v: Hey, do you have a GUI? I am wasting a ton of time making sure all the features are working via front end api calls because I am forced to make a beta GUI and add these features temporarily.

:downs: Oh, we haven't started on it yet, you haven't provided 100% of the engineering spec.

:v: What? There is only one small issue remaining, there are 19 other pages you could have done in that time.

:saddowns: No, we aren't going to work on it at all until you give us 100% of everything.

This lead to a huge argument, a meeting with the CEO, the marketing director calling engineering a bunch of code monkeys, one of our engineers threatening to quit, and in the end, the CEO told me to just wait on the GUI until I had 100% of everything working. 10 minutes later in a private meeting with him, he agreed with me and wondered why the marketing director couldn't work on all the other parts of the GUI. Too late now!
I sent a email confirming that he wanted marketing to wait on the GUI until I could fix the last hardware issue, he agreed.

Two weeks ago:
:downs: We hired a guy to markup the javascript/html/css!

:v: WHAT? Who is he?
:downs: Oh, he's a senior web programmer we got from ROBERT HALF.

:negative: Did he provide code samples?
:downs: What are those?

:negative: How does he know how to layout the pages so I can integrate our backend code easily?
:downs: Oh, don't worry about that, we are paying him a lot of money, so he should do a great job!

:negative: Why wasn't I consulted AT ALL?
:saddowns: Marketing is in charge of the GUI, you don't need to worry yourself about any of that!

This lead to ANOTHER meeting with me telling the marketing director (politely) to take his head out of his rear end and please for the love of god just work with me. The CEO eventually just said, "well marketing didn't know they needed to do those things."

Two days ago:
:downs: Here is a ROUGH DRAFT of the GUI, what do you think?

:negative: Uh, I know it's a rough draft, but there are huge chunks of things missing that are in the spec. Why did this take so long? It's a simple bootstrap.js design, this shouldn't have taken almost 2 months.

:downs: Look, we just need you to start integrating the draft.

:colbert: No, you need to provide me with 100% of everything before I even start intigrating the GUI.

:saddowns: YOU ARE BEING UNREASONABLE!

This lead to another argument, more emails, another director getting involved that I was being "too mean." and that I should "tone it down."

At this point, I moved the project deadline another month weeks because marketing hasn't given me poo poo that I can work with. This lead to yet ANOTHER meeting were I people tried to blame me for the delay because I refuse to work 80+ hour weeks to get this done. The CEO asked me what it would take to get it done on time and quickly decided to agree with me when I said overtime pay.

Get a new job.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Get a new job.

I deal with marketing maybe 10 times out of the year. Those 10 times are absolutely awful but the other 99% of the time I love my job, coworkers, and bosses.

But when anything Marketing gets involved poo poo starts falling apart. Heck, I got RedWing suite tickets just a few days ago. It's loving awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm remote and my job denied my request for a $45 pair of headphones and ordered me a $250 pair instead. It's the little things.