Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I really hated that the whole Batman/Catwoman thing was an afterthought after Hush (I know it was mentioned after Hush but never really explored more) so it was nice to see this current Batman arc actually show us more of the relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wouldn't worry about seeing her too much without a Catwoman comic.
And that probably won't be happening for a while since the book was among the lowest selling of the Batline pre-Rebirth. I hope they can woo Genevieve Valentine into coming back for an ongoing though, since she's easily one of the better Catwoman writers in years.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't read Detective Comics in a while, is Clayface still a good guy?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yes

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thank God.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Don't worry D.C. Is teasing that he is going to betray the team in the DC preview books

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Like Steph Brown just did. Surely never to return to the team.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sorry, thread. For not posting for a while.

Here's some dope poo poo from Batman 17

Im really hoping the cracks in the ground are meant to indicate that this is the return of the Key So Heavy Only Superman Can Lift It that used to open up the fortress back in the day...

Also incredibly happy to see Bane's weird rear end running crew from the 90s back on the scene. I guess with what Tom King's Batman has been so far you can't expect anything less.

Haven't gotten to read Super Sons yet but man that logo typeface is garbage

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Batman #17 was a weird issue. The writing is really strong, but I feel like this story can be paced a lot better. The biggest problem with this run has been issues where barely anything happens, followed by an issue where everything happens really quickly.

Batwoman Rebirth: Eh, pretty much just recap on who Batwoman is, and things that happened in Detective Comics. Nothing special.

Nightwing: Kind of annoyed that this pretty cool, new love interest is already being seemingly fridged. I hope it's a fake out and she'll end up fine, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

purple death ray posted:

Sorry, thread. For not posting for a while.

Here's some dope poo poo from Batman 17

Im really hoping the cracks in the ground are meant to indicate that this is the return of the Key So Heavy Only Superman Can Lift It that used to open up the fortress back in the day...

I think this is exactly what it indicates!!

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I mean, what else could it be?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

haitfais posted:

I mean, what else could it be?

David Finch draws lines on everything everywhere, I didn't want to assume.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I'm certain that's meant to be the dwarf star key. Quitely drew it almost exactly the same way in All-Star Superman.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The new Batman costume really only looks good when Capullo draws it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't that just because he minimizes the dumb lines and weird yellow outline to the bat-symbol as much as possible without just removing them? Like, he draws a good Bat-costume, then begrudgingly adds a couple details to make it technically the new costume.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I hate that yellow outline. It should be the oval bat-symbol with the yellow or the bigger black bat symbol.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that just because he minimizes the dumb lines and weird yellow outline to the bat-symbol as much as possible without just removing them? Like, he draws a good Bat-costume, then begrudgingly adds a couple details to make it technically the new costume.

That would be weird given Capullo designed the new costume himself.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I picked up the Detective Comics trade and I thought it looked pretty good in there. The yellow outline was pretty minimal in it though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The new Batsuit is fine, I'm pretty happy with the way Bruce is looking in comics these days. I don't know if it's the new costume or what but a lot of people are drawing the costume less like bat-body armor than they did before Rebirth. I feel like there's a lot more variety across the different books right now as far as artists interpreting the new costume. I'm a fan.

I like the yellow outline!

I think the cape should probably be blue, and not purple, but I do like purple either way.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So what's the deal with the Robins at the end of Batman 16?

At the end of 16 they're hanging in the Batcave, but in the beginning of 17 they're in capsules in the FoS. Did they get hosed up by Bane and they're getting healed or were the people hanging not the Robins or what?

That confusing bit aside, I'm really digging this new arc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fadam posted:

Did they get hosed up by Bane and they're getting healed

No reason to assume not.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Kinda lame that happened entirely offscreen.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Checking in to the thread to see if Cassandra has Bat-ears on her costume yet

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://dccomicsnews.com/2017/02/23/exclusive-interview-graham-nolan-returns-to-dcn-to-talk-bane-conquest/

quote:

DCN: What was it that finally brought you and Chuck back to the world of Bane? How did the opportunity come about?

GN: We pitched a Batman vs Bane idea to Dan Didio and the timing was right. Although he was looking for something more Bane-centric than Batman, so we reworked it as a chance to set Bane up as the “Doctor Doom” of the DC Universe.

:eng101:

quote:

DCN: Will Bane’s addiction to Venom be addressed here or is it pushed to the side to give us the Bane we all know and love?

GN: Yes, Bane is back on the juice! I think the juiced Bane is the one we all know and love.

:eng99:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Did I not literally say at one point that Bane could easily be DC's Dr. Doom? I feel completely positive I said those exact words. Get at me, Graham Nolan

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

purple death ray posted:

Did I not literally say at one point that Bane could easily be DC's Dr. Doom? I feel completely positive I said those exact words. Get at me, Graham Nolan

I don't see it. I mean, him being a ruthless tactician is kinda there in his history, but it's vastly overshadowed by him being a dumb meathead on steroids. At best I can buy that he can come up with a cunning plan when brute forcing poo poo isn't an option, but comparing him to Dr Doom? The 2nd smartest man in marvel universe? Bane can barely outsmart Ace the Bathog, he's not even the smartest C-lister of Batmans rogues gallery, let alone the a-listers, and comparing him to the likes of Luthor is laughable.

Now the RIddler I can buy as a dr doom type of villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Riddler's ego and psychological hangups hamper him from being that kind of character way more than Bane's inconsistently-written intellect.

I think Dr. Doom is a bit much, even at his most ambitious Bane was never a "rule the world" type. His loftiest goal was basically to turn Gotham into his personal kingdom, and while that's pretty drat ambitious considering Batman lives there, it's not exactly Lex Luthor or Ras Al Ghul levels of villainy. If someone wrote a story about Bane annexing some european kingdom it'd be really weird and out of place, as would a story about Bane acquiring the DC equivalent of the power cosmic.

At his best, Bane doesn't really have an equivalent in the Marvel universe. He was a very unique character during Knightfall, and while he had obvious character flaws that led to his downfall, he was a uniquely menacing character who's iron will, fearlessness and ruthless tactics combined with his raw physical power to make him a threat Batman didn't know how to deal with, being used to dealing with psychos, petty crooks and outright moronic brutes. He was really wasted in a lot of his subsequent stories, usually by making him a dumb angry strong guy or trying to do dimestore versions of Knightfall with less than half the impact. But it's really hard to top knightfall or even know where to take the character from there.

I guess when someone means the "Dr. Doom" of DC they could mean how Dr. Doom is just this character who, when he returns, is always a huge credible threat to the FF, no matter how many times he's lost before, and can get an outright victory on them more often than not. This kind of dynamic is a little more difficult to pull off with Batman, who for whatever reason seems to have a lot invested into being a character who can never be defeated twice.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

McCloud posted:

I don't see it. I mean, him being a ruthless tactician is kinda there in his history, but it's vastly overshadowed by him being a dumb meathead on steroids. At best I can buy that he can come up with a cunning plan when brute forcing poo poo isn't an option, but comparing him to Dr Doom? The 2nd smartest man in marvel universe? Bane can barely outsmart Ace the Bathog, he's not even the smartest C-lister of Batmans rogues gallery, let alone the a-listers, and comparing him to the likes of Luthor is laughable.

Now the RIddler I can buy as a dr doom type of villain.

Not really, that was only true for his appearances on other media. The comics consistently depicted him as being if not a downright genius, as a very, very smart man. The best examples of this are the stories written by Doug Moench on Gotham Knights: Tabula Rasa and Veritas Liberat. Even when Simone dumbed him down a bit for Secret Six, it was mostly making him socially incompetent rather than an idiot. Even during the N52 they tried to make him a master tactician (aside of Finch's bullshit) but they failed to deliver.

Aside of those instances, one of Bane's best uses outside the comics was during Arkham Origins...besides the ending derailed him to turn him on the hulking idiot from Asylum of course.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The closest DC has to an arrogant overachieving jerk like Doom is Luthor. Bane isn't even in the same league.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tom King's Bane has been awesome. He's getting that Knightfall edge back.

I wonder if they're giving Dixon work because he's making money off of Bane regardless.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I see the potential there. I didn't say he was already. I think a good writer could build him up into Dr. Doom level. Bane's a really really good character.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Madkal posted:

The closest DC has to an arrogant overachieving jerk like Doom is Luthor. Bane isn't even in the same league.

Thematically I'd say Ra's is a bit closer, but I don't think there's really a direct equivalent.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Lurdiak posted:

At his best, Bane doesn't really have an equivalent in the Marvel universe. He was a very unique character during Knightfall, and while he had obvious character flaws that led to his downfall, he was a uniquely menacing character who's iron will, fearlessness and ruthless tactics combined with his raw physical power to make him a threat Batman didn't know how to deal with, being used to dealing with psychos, petty crooks and outright moronic brutes. He was really wasted in a lot of his subsequent stories, usually by making him a dumb angry strong guy or trying to do dimestore versions of Knightfall with less than half the impact. But it's really hard to top knightfall or even know where to take the character from there.

I could maybe see the argument of being able to make Bane the DC's Kingpin, and maybe go full in on that. Granted, Luthor already exists in the DCU, though.

Bane maybe decides to fight the Batman in a new way by becoming like Bruce Wayne, too. He spends a lot of time and money to build up a fake popular public persona of a wealthy investor, magnate, philanthropist, etc and anyone who knows or suspects who he is really knows better than to talk. Despite all the appearances of everything looking completely legal and above board in his business/public life, he could be a figure who like Kingpin is willing and able to use extreme shows of intimidation and violence in the underworld to get what he wants. It could also give them a way for him to hassle Batman in ways that Bruce and Wayne Enterprises would have to deal with that Batman typically couldn't.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 27, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A major element of Dr. Doom is that he's flawed. He isn't the Best Ever, he's the best ever with a massive glaring set of flaws that constantly undercut him. Lex Luthor fills the same niche where he is defeated as much by himself as by Superman.

"What if Bane was really smart and cool and awesome" wouldn't be Dr. Doom. To be a true character in that mold you need to have weaknesses as big as your strengths. To some degree this is what original Knightfall Bane was. He was terrifying, intelligent, capable, and defeated Batman both mentally and physically. (Something that tends to get overlooked in favor of He BROKE the BAT). Yet he was also crippled by his addiction and his weaknesses. Removing those weaknesses makes him less interesting and less meaningful because he just becomes Strong Smart Guy #932.

You can't do the exact same Bane story over and over again but part of what you need to tell a Bane story is his weaknesses. Venom and his addiction to it is part of it and if you remove Venom you can't remove Bane's addictive personality and ability to self-sabotage because that's an important element of what defines Bane. He is someone who can beat Batman but also someone who can't defeat himself. The reason why material keeps going back to Bane having Venom or a Venom-alike is because it provides a simple glowing green visual for his true flaw. You can remove it but not without replacing it.

To some degree Bane is defined by his addiction to power. This is again clear in Knightfall more than anywhere else where he wants strength, he wants respect, he wants women, he wants all these things because the are power. He wants to beat the Batman as a symbol of his power. If you want to set Bane up as a strong figure it has to be a figure who desires strength to the point of it being a weakness. He should be excessive in a way that is at once terrifying and crippling, as much as the Riddler leaving clues or Lex Luthor hyper-focusing on Superman.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 27, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
To be fair I don't read much FF but for me the defining characteristic of Doom was that he was an over-achieving arrogant jerk who was so convinced that he was better than Richards that he let that obsession control his life. Basically his biggest character trait is jealousy, but besides that he is also very accomplished, extremely manipulative and very smart. He isn't so much a fighter as a planner. He has some similar characteristics as Bane but Bane always seems small fries while Doom is plotting against the world/universe/whatever.
Still think that the closest DC has to a Doom character is Luthor who shares a lot more characteristics with Doom than Bane. If I were to pick a character that would be the Marvel's equivalent to Bane it might have to be Venom (which ha ah ha ha because they both have a thing to do with Venom). Venom is a hyper focused jerk who is similar to Spidey but taken to an extreme degree, which is the same as Bane. Both our physical powerhouses which outmatch their antagonists, both like loving with their prey before attacking, both have a massive chip on their shoulder, and both are loved by 90's fanboys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

A major element of Dr. Doom is that he's flawed. He isn't the Best Ever, he's the best ever with a massive glaring set of flaws that constantly undercut him. Lex Luthor fills the same niche where he is defeated as much by himself as by Superman.

"What if Bane was really smart and cool and awesome" wouldn't be Dr. Doom. To be a true character in that mold you need to have weaknesses as big as your strengths. To some degree this is what original Knightfall Bane was. He was terrifying, intelligent, capable, and defeated Batman both mentally and physically. (Something that tends to get overlooked in favor of He BROKE the BAT). Yet he was also crippled by his addiction and his weaknesses. Removing those weaknesses makes him less interesting and less meaningful because he just becomes Strong Smart Guy #932.

You can't do the exact same Bane story over and over again but part of what you need to tell a Bane story is his weaknesses. Venom and his addiction to it is part of it and if you remove Venom you can't remove Bane's addictive personality and ability to self-sabotage because that's an important element of what defines Bane. He is someone who can beat Batman but also someone who can't defeat himself. The reason why material keeps going back to Bane having Venom or a Venom-alike is because it provides a simple glowing green visual for his true flaw. You can remove it but not without replacing it.

To some degree Bane is defined by his addiction to power. This is again clear in Knightfall more than anywhere else where he wants strength, he wants respect, he wants women, he wants all these things because the are power. He wants to beat the Batman as a symbol of his power. If you want to set Bane up as a strong figure it has to be a figure who desires strength to the point of it being a weakness. He should be excessive in a way that is at once terrifying and crippling, as much as the Riddler leaving clues or Lex Luthor hyper-focusing on Superman.

Good post, and I agree. Bane revealed a lot of psychological weaknesses once he had actually defeated Batman, because while everyone was scared shitless of him, he was unable to enjoy his position as ruler of Gotham because of his relentless drive, and his iron-fisted rule basically made it an inevitability that he'd eventually go down, because he was completely unwilling to compromise or fade into the background when necessary.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Again, this is a pretty narrow view of the character. Bane still had weaknesses after kicking off the Venom habit in the shape of his need to belong somewhere that is why he agreed to work with Ra's during Legacy or why he latched at the idea of being Thomas' illegitimate son during Tabula Rasa. For all his power and intelligence, Bane was being crushed by the solitude he lived in.

Even when he finally found a place to belong with the Secret Six, Simone crippled him with a pretty severe social ineptitude.

So no, saying that he can't have anything else but his venom addiction is willingly ignoring his full potential.

quote:

And yet Bane went to be a successful character for more than a decade without using Venom.

quote:

Bane was never addicted to the power. Even despite beating Bruce after Knightfall he did nothing more than laze around on his penthouse until Jean Paul's arrival. The reason Bane challenged Bruce was born from a childlike fantasy of deserving everything in the world due his incredibly lovely upbringing (something that King is making even more lovely just because)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Excellent post yeah. I guess when I say Bane could be a villain on par with Dr. Doom, I don't mean he should be ruling countries and pose a threat in a political way, or that he's necessarily a global antagonist (I think he could pull those stories off, though) . I don't want him to be Lex Luthor or Ra's al Ghul. I think he's extremely underrated among Batman's rogues gallery and he could be elevated to a higher tier by a determined and talented writer. He's such a threat on so many levels. I guess I mean he would be revered by fans the same way people talk about Dr. Doom, if that makes sense. He could be much more than just "the guy who broke Batman's back that one time".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For the record I had no idea who the gently caress Bane was in the 90s so my like of him is not nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't really like the comparison at all, I feel like DC's world doesn't really have room for a Dr. Doom character when you have heavies like Superman and the JLA running around. Luthor is close, but he's an American billionaire who keeps his hands incredibly clean and doesn't usually directly challenge the heroes in a way that they could just punch him into the sun. If Bane gets too far off of the street-level stuff Batman handles, I just feel like Superman would burst through the wall and haul him back to prison. Even if they gave Bane a Latveria of his own and some measure of diplomatic protection, I feel like a big part of Doom's strength is that he's a physical match for most of the heroes in the MCU between his armor and his sorcery. The Avengers aren't strong enough to just invade Latveria and depose Doom if he steps out of line too far.

• Locked thread