Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Subyng posted:

But honestly, I don't think it's fair to expect someone to be passionate about a job, only that I should be at least interested in it. I got asked that question and it threw me off because, my honest genuine passions are art and music, but I'm not pursuing a career in that field. To answer "art and music..." seems like it might be totally missing the point of the question, but to answer "well I'm passionate about X technology" is disingenuous.

[...]

Like, if the question is "what do you like to do in your spare time" that makes it clears that the purpose of the question is about one's personality.

It's not fair to expect it, sure, but they've got the power and they want to be woo'd by all of their candidates. If you want the job, swallow your pride/actual feelings and do the song and dance for them. What if you're the best candidate and then they discuss whom to hire and think to themselves "he/she didn't seem passionate enough." That'll kill you.

Also, it's not fair to ask what you do in your spare time, either, and even then you should be interesting over being honest. They don't care about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Concur with KYOON:

Thanks. Less than 24 hours later I got asked to schedule a first interview call.

Saying I have a lot of patience from trying to sneak up on animals and a lot of pain tolerance from getting too close to said animals seems to be working.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mango Polo posted:

Thanks. Less than 24 hours later I got asked to schedule a first interview call.

Saying I have a lot of patience from trying to sneak up on animals and a lot of pain tolerance from getting too close to said animals seems to be working.

Glad to hear it. Negotiation thread time.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want to have some level of reassurance that the person across the table from me is actually a normal human being who has interests outside of work and can explain something in a socially perceptive way.

Kyoon Griffey Jr and others.

Please give me your opinion if you want to.

For the "passion" question, I did not note anything outside of work, such as a hobby or personal interest. I kept the answer about work / organizations.

I was asked at an interview early on: What's your passion?

My answer, to paraphrase: I positively stated to me "passion" was often but not always something that an artist, musician or entrepreneur has. For me, I am enthusiastic, energetic, and loyal when I'm working with an good organization and surrounded by positive can-do professional people. It's important to sincerely like our jobs and our colleagues (and clients if we're working with clients).

Is this good enough or way off the mark?

Thanks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Positive Optimyst posted:

My answer, to paraphrase: I positively stated to me "passion" was often but not always something that an artist, musician or entrepreneur has. For me, I am enthusiastic, energetic, and loyal when I'm working with an good organization and surrounded by positive can-do professional people. It's important to sincerely like our jobs and our colleagues (and clients if we're working with clients).

Negative nancy answer:
Sounds rehearsed so I'd think oh this guy prepped this question (which is good). I wouldn't give it that much credence as a genuine answer that assuages the concern of "is this guy a sperglord". Also, at least in my world, the number of can-do people is pretty limited and often the client is frustrating. Are you loyal then? Why are we talking about loyalty when I just wanted to know if youre a weirdo?

Rather then airquote anything just say some poo poo you think is cool like cars or teaching people or whatever. (Dont list anything thats a vice)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Glad to hear it. Negotiation thread time.

Soon hopefully! That was the most interesting and positive interview I've ever had. Have another one coming up soon with the CEO and a few leads.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mango Polo posted:

Soon hopefully! That was the most interesting and positive interview I've ever had. Have another one coming up soon with the CEO and a few leads.

You should be very well aware of the things in that thread by now.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CarForumPoster posted:

Negative nancy answer:
Sounds rehearsed so I'd think oh this guy prepped this question (which is good). I wouldn't give it that much credence as a genuine answer that assuages the concern of "is this guy a sperglord". Also, at least in my world, the number of can-do people is pretty limited and often the client is frustrating. Are you loyal then? Why are we talking about loyalty when I just wanted to know if youre a weirdo?

Rather then airquote anything just say some poo poo you think is cool like cars or teaching people or whatever. (Dont list anything thats a vice)

Thanks for the response Car Forum.

So, the "what's your passion" question is about my free-time likes/passions and not related to work.

An honest answer for me is 'learning languages.'

Edit in: I found a youtube where it's advised answer the "passion" question with something related to the job and then give an underlying example. I'll make some notes and lists of ideas. (to be honest, "passion" is a weird term for me. I am hard working and loyal and a conscientious employee, though.)

Am I loyal? Yes, I am loyal when treated half-way decently. Serious answer.

*Also, in general I'm not a very good interviewer. I think it depends on how comfortable I am when I walk in. There is an instant atmosphere/vibe for me.

Positive Optimyst fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 24, 2017

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

You should be very well aware of the things in that thread by now.

Oh I did go through that thread multiple times now; this is not my first interview (blew one up by being so rusty, turned one down after the interviewer refused to proceed until I revealed my previous salary + made a salary offer, had four interviews for the job that ultimately declined, and this one with whatever else is coming).

I already said that I'd rather keep the salary discussion until we feel like we are the right match and they've had a chance to explain the employee benefits, to which the guy said 'sounds good'.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mango Polo posted:

Asking for and hoping to get some advice from anyone:

It's been many years since I've done a phone interview.

I've been contacted and have been asked to have a "phone discussion" to ask questions about a company that is expressing interest. The job is not defined at the moment, but it's in the education industry. I assume this is actually a phone interview (obviously) so I need to prepare.

In addition to the general questions, what are some pertinent questions I can ask?

I don't want to dry up after a couple questions.

Any questions that are be recommended?

Thanks in advance.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I'm building a little portfolio website for myself. Is it appropriate to include reference letters and/or adorable thank-you notes (reminder, I'm doing environmental education, kids draw me some darn cute pictures sometimes).

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
In a tricky situation here.

Over the past two months I have been passively looking for a new job. I was recruited to work for a good company doing good work, and accepted a generous offer for which I start next Monday, 1/30. I put in my two weeks and today was my last day in my current role, and am off Wednesday-Sunday.

A week and a half ago, I was contacted by a really, really great company wanting to interview me for a much better job, that according to research would be a large increase in salary and opportunity to work on projects I actually want to work on. I agreed to an interview tomorrow afternoon.

My question is, how much of this should I divulge in the interview? I don't plan on lying or misleading at all, but I want to know if I should be forward with this right off the bat or should I wait until the ask the right questions? My main concern is answering questions about my "current employer" when in reality I dont technically have one right now. I would absolutely take this role over the other one, but the other one is a great job too so I'm not very concerned if I don't get it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just going to post a quick question for now. I'm applying to retail jobs and wondering, is my university being listed hurting my chances? I.e. I am "Overqualified"? I feel like I should just take it off entirely; and I do have the excuse that I was a housewife for the past 6 years. Like in an interview "what have you been doing for the past 6 years since you left your last job? housewife! [eliminate all info about university]"

??

e: oh and I was considering going to the actual places and talking to the manager and handing them my resume with a short cover letter that's tailored for each place, i.e. Target gets one saying I love target and Walmart letter says I love Walmart. So like, they would think I care. Is this a stupid idea?

BTW I can't post my resume right now, some IRL people know my account name.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 25, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm just going to post a quick question for now. I'm applying to retail jobs and wondering, is my university being listed hurting my chances? I.e. I am "Overqualified"? I feel like I should just take it off entirely; and I do have the excuse that I was a housewife for the past 6 years. Like in an interview "what have you been doing for the past 6 years since you left your last job? housewife! [eliminate all info about university]"

??

e: oh and I was considering going to the actual places and talking to the manager and handing them my resume with a short cover letter that's tailored for each place, i.e. Target gets one saying I love target and Walmart letter says I love Walmart. So like, they would think I care. Is this a stupid idea?

BTW I can't post my resume right now, some IRL people know my account name.
If you're a recent grad, it might make you seem like a flight risk in a company with little room for advancement. If your undergrad degree is from some number of years ago, and you haven't worked in your degree field in that few years, go ahead and put it. A lot of companies prefer their managers to have some kind of college education, so it rarely hurts if you see yourself as a management-track employee. If you have a Master's or higher, maybe leave that part out.

Definitely don't do the thing where you hit the streets, track down store managers and hand them resumes in person, though. It's not the '60s anymore; managers have poo poo to do and are going to be supremely irritated if you waste their time by pulling them away from whatever they're working on to make eye contact like a gorilla. Whatever the company's posted application process is, do that. Retail companies are looking for worker bees. Leave the mailing-a-life-size-cardboard-cutout-of-yourself stuff to the advertising creatives.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 25, 2017

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Caveat: for small businesses with help wanted signs, it is okay to show up in person with your resume & cover letter, and may be preferred. A retail manager's day is full of interruptions in general and it only takes a minute or two to take a resume from somebody and verify that they are friendly and reasonably dressed. A surprising amount of applicants fail these basic tests, so making a good impression counts!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

Definitely don't do the thing where you hit the streets, track down store managers and hand them resumes in person, though. It's not the '60s anymore; managers have poo poo to do and are going to be supremely irritated if you waste their time by pulling them away from whatever they're working on to make eye contact like a gorilla. Whatever the company's posted application process is, do that. Retail companies are looking for worker bees. Leave the mailing-a-life-size-cardboard-cutout-of-yourself stuff to the advertising creatives.

Saeku posted:

Caveat: for small businesses with help wanted signs, it is okay to show up in person with your resume & cover letter, and may be preferred. A retail manager's day is full of interruptions in general and it only takes a minute or two to take a resume from somebody and verify that they are friendly and reasonably dressed. A surprising amount of applicants fail these basic tests, so making a good impression counts!

This is conflicting advice. I am now confused.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

This is conflicting advice. I am now confused.
Face-time can be good for small businesses that don't have well-defined hiring channels, but is a complete waste of time when you're dealing with large companies.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Face-time can be good for small businesses that don't have well-defined hiring channels, but is a complete waste of time when you're dealing with large companies.

^^yep

Also big stores have a lot of staff, small stores have few. If you ask for a manager at a big box store you'll likely get somebody who has nothing to do with hiring for the role and doesn't care. At a small store you are likely to meet the hiring manager, and even if you don't, the manager on duty will be more invested in the hiring decision because they'll be working close together with whomever's hired.

Saeku fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 27, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Had my interview but, a couple things are bothering me about it. Usually my interviews in industry have been at least an hour in length but, this interview was only 30 minutes. Second the interviewers only asked questions from a printed out form and there was no questions regarding my past employment. I haven't interviewed for an outside of industry position like this before so I'm not sure how to take that. Those look like bad signs to me?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

Had my interview but, a couple things are bothering me about it. Usually my interviews in industry have been at least an hour in length but, this interview was only 30 minutes. Second the interviewers only asked questions from a printed out form and there was no questions regarding my past employment. I haven't interviewed for an outside of industry position like this before so I'm not sure how to take that. Those look like bad signs to me?
This sounds like a bad place to work where people don't take the hiring process seriously. Unless you really need this job, you've probably dodged a bullet if things don't go well.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I was talking to someone regarding my retail job resume, and they said I should put ALL my retail experience. I heard there was a rule of like, 5 years? or something. Anyways this is my experience:

Currently student in prestigious school that I don't want to put on the resume b/c that's overqualified, right? 2010-present, gonna graduate soon --I do have experience in community college which i put on there, and obviously a high school degree.
Manual labor job 2010-2012
Computer technician job 2009-2010
Retail Job 2007-2009
Food Service Job 2004-2007
Retail Job 2003-4

WTF should I be putting on the resume I send to retail places? I had a final interview at a competitive retail place and when I said "I'm about to graduate" they visibly got uncomfortable. No I did not get the job.

^ so a big question is if i should keep the fancy degree off the resume? I haven't actually finished it, I don't have a degree yet. Yes I know I already asked this but I'm not sure I know what to do still. :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

Saeku posted:

^^yep

Also big stores have a lot of staff, small stores have few. If you ask for a manager at a big box store you'll likely get somebody who has nothing to do with hiring for the role and doesn't care. At a small store you are likely to meet the hiring manager, and even if you don't, the manager on duty will be more invested in the hiring decision because they'll be working close together with whomever's hired.

That makes sense, and definitely what I thought about big stores. Thanks!

Does this apply to chain places though, like for example a Potbellys? They're small and probably only staffed by 20 people max, based on my experience in working at a chain food place.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm a Canadian. My interview process with a company in Philly that I was talking with is on hold because they're worried that Trump's gonna gently caress with NAFTA and mess with TN visas, so their immigration lawyers are pulling overtime trying to figuring out contingency plans for their Canadian/Mexican employees and applicants. On one hand it sucks, but it really feels kind of surreal seeing the administration have an effect on me literally one week after inauguration.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
My wife and I are seriously contemplating a move from the east to the west coast. Job prospects are far better than where we are now, we know people in the area of our target city (Seattle). She has three years of good professional experience and a degree in her field of architecture and construction coordination. My work experience is three years in a call center and my degree has no professional prospects. How much effect does that fact that we would be relocating have on our chance of getting hired by a theoretical employer?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

My wife and I are seriously contemplating a move from the east to the west coast. Job prospects are far better than where we are now, we know people in the area of our target city (Seattle). She has three years of good professional experience and a degree in her field of architecture and construction coordination. My work experience is three years in a call center and my degree has no professional prospects. How much effect does that fact that we would be relocating have on our chance of getting hired by a theoretical employer?

If you have marketable skills that aren't readily available in the local talent pool companies will offer relocation. If they can find equally or more qualified applicants locally for the position your odds are lower. Your wife has a much better chance of getting bites from Seattle companies than you do it looks like. You need to mention why you're applying for jobs in Seattle while you're living on the east coast in your cover letter so it doesn't look like you're desperately shotgunning.

If she gets an offer to relocate you can tell companies you're applying to that you're moving out there for your wife's job as part of your cover letter and they'll be more likely to consider your application.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

So I've been on about 6 interviews for entry level lab bench work positions. None of them have gone past the first interview even though the body language of interviewed seems positive and receptive. I try to answer questions truthfully while also relating to the work their doing in the lab but I can't tell if it's just lack of experience ( graduated college in may and could only do one internship during a summer) or if I'm just completely loving up during interview.

Anybody got advice for interviewing for entry level science positions? I feel the approach to science is very different from other business interviews. Thanks.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

creatine posted:

So I've been on about 6 interviews for entry level lab bench work positions. None of them have gone past the first interview even though the body language of interviewed seems positive and receptive. I try to answer questions truthfully while also relating to the work their doing in the lab but I can't tell if it's just lack of experience ( graduated college in may and could only do one internship during a summer) or if I'm just completely loving up during interview.

Anybody got advice for interviewing for entry level science positions? I feel the approach to science is very different from other business interviews. Thanks.

We don't know if it's your answers to questions or that you're a new grad, as you say,

But have you watched youtube information videos on interviewing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Have you ever asked the company rep why you weren't chosen for the next round or what you could do to make yourself a better candidate? You can't get more not-hired from asking. Some people will never give you a straight answer, and almost no-one will be specific. But you can read between the lines and get something from it, especially if there is a common theme from a few places.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How do I work on making eye contact?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Look at people :v:

But one thing I do to help alleviate some of that anxiety is to take notes during the interview. Then they won't think poorly of you for looking down/away.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

taqueso posted:

Have you ever asked the company rep why you weren't chosen for the next round or what you could do to make yourself a better candidate? You can't get more not-hired from asking. Some people will never give you a straight answer, and almost no-one will be specific. But you can read between the lines and get something from it, especially if there is a common theme from a few places.

Of the ones I've asked only one has even responded and said they were looking for someone with a different skill set (they needed microbiology and I studied molecular biology). Every other place just never responds.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

totalnewbie posted:

Look at people :v:

But one thing I do to help alleviate some of that anxiety is to take notes during the interview. Then they won't think poorly of you for looking down/away.

It's not anxiety really-I just don't realize that I'm not making direct eye contact. To bridge with creatine's dilemma, I only found out this was a problem because I emailed the HR contact after I was turned down.

I know that :stare:ing is a big no-no, but I almost feel now that I have to aim for that simply to compensate.

EDIT: Like, as part of an experiment, I stood in front of a mirror and used my cell phone to track my eye movements. Part of me was :aaa: at how much they moved, but another part was "wait, I'm 34, how do I not instinctively know that when my eyes focus on something it's clear where my iris are pointing?? :psyduck:"

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 31, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Finding a job in a city that I don't currently live in sucks. Finding TWO jobs (my wife and I) in that city really sucks.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Headhunter reached out two weeks ago, spoke with him, then the corporate recruiter for a job a couple blocks over. They followed up with another question on Monday and then asked for availability yesterday. Today, instead of a long, drawn out interview, they schedule a 1 hour interview in the middle of the day next week with the Chief Procurement Officer and hiring manager.

My dad seems to think they're in the "are you a fit" rather than the "are you qualified" stage. I'm still just trying to catch my breath, since two weeks ago I was pretty resigned to spending at least another year and a half at this company.

I mean, I'm not really nervous, I've got nothing to lose, but I find it odd that the first on-site interview includes the CPO of a company with a $4B market cap.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
So I have what I assume is going to be an offer letter/salary negotiation meeting tomorrow for my first real IT job (internal hire, currently in operations/customer service) supporting users, both internal and external, of our web apps and mobile apps (mostly escalations from the operations team, who would do very basic troubleshooting). I'm in Chicago and Glassdoor is showing an average of ~40k for helpdesk, which seems low to me, considering I currently make ~41k for ops with no degree and no real prior experience other than customer service. Any thoughts on how to approach this? From basic perusal of GD it seems like the average is being pulled down by intern/student worker type jobs, and most real helpdesks are closer to 48-50k here. Our biz analysts make somewhere around 65k, I figure I'd ask for 55 and hope to get 50ish.

Also I know I shouldn't be the first to give a number - I am going to do my damnedest to avoid that.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
There's a full Negotiation thread which you should check out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

$40k is pretty low for helpdesk, you might want to massage the title when searching for salaries on Glassdoor.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

It's not anxiety really-I just don't realize that I'm not making direct eye contact. To bridge with creatine's dilemma, I only found out this was a problem because I emailed the HR contact after I was turned down.

I know that :stare:ing is a big no-no, but I almost feel now that I have to aim for that simply to compensate.

EDIT: Like, as part of an experiment, I stood in front of a mirror and used my cell phone to track my eye movements. Part of me was :aaa: at how much they moved, but another part was "wait, I'm 34, how do I not instinctively know that when my eyes focus on something it's clear where my iris are pointing?? :psyduck:"

This has been difficult for me in interview settings, not so much in other facets of life. One thing that has helped me is to follow the other persons lead - glance away when they do, and let your eyes wander a bit when you talk.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

CaptainJuan posted:

So I have what I assume is going to be an offer letter/salary negotiation meeting tomorrow for my first real IT job (internal hire, currently in operations/customer service) supporting users, both internal and external, of our web apps and mobile apps (mostly escalations from the operations team, who would do very basic troubleshooting). I'm in Chicago and Glassdoor is showing an average of ~40k for helpdesk, which seems low to me, considering I currently make ~41k for ops with no degree and no real prior experience other than customer service. Any thoughts on how to approach this? From basic perusal of GD it seems like the average is being pulled down by intern/student worker type jobs, and most real helpdesks are closer to 48-50k here. Our biz analysts make somewhere around 65k, I figure I'd ask for 55 and hope to get 50ish.

Also I know I shouldn't be the first to give a number - I am going to do my damnedest to avoid that.

For internal they'll probably present you with an offer, rather than ask you for a number. If they do ask you for a number first, I'd ask for the salary range for the position and then aim towards the median in your negotiations.

And like the poster above, massage that title, and also check salary.com

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

As mentioned go to the negotiation thread, read the OP and ask there. There are strategies on how to pursue your goal and how to handle different situations.

Asking for median is not a really strong one though (unless you are really underqualified).

Companies will always try to hire you for the least amount of money they think they can get you to sign for. It's up to you to make them think that number should be as high as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Any advice for answering a "your perfect day at work" question? The company has just rebranded itself and the values/buzzwords on its site emphasise its dynamic and unique workforce so I'm thinking of going for the angle of having a day that required me to learn new skills in order to complete a task.