Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Night10194 posted:

RE4 was basically a series of triumphs of incredibly good design.

And then a Spanish midget sasses you.

Yeah. Like you said, a triumph of design. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bogart posted:

Yeah. Like you said, a triumph of design. :colbert:

I meant what I said.

Everything about RE4 was perfect.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Tribladeofchaos posted:

That's pretty cool if that's true. RE4 did the same thing, the more you die the easier it gets and vice versa.

I didn't know about this. Is it like Devil May Cry where after you die so much it just pops up a message saying, "Hey buddy, noticed you're having trouble. Don't worry, we went ahead and unlocked Easy Mode for you. :)" because that was hilarious.

Actually, doesn't DMC4 lower the difficulty each time a bit after you die as well? Maybe it's just a Capcom thing.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Games that do that are the worst. Or add an additional prompt to switch to Easy after you die a couple of times, just to make getting back into game each time a bit longer. God forbid someone isn't breezing through your game, what if they're not having an Optimal Experience?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RE7 is very good, at least from what I have played so far.

Difficulty chat, there is something to be said for automatically tuning the difficulty without asking just because intentionally choosing to drop the difficulty makes you feel like a failure. If they just lower your score a bit and tune everything down then it feels way better.

I didn't even realize that RE4 did that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RE4 was seriously too good for the genre and hardly anyone learned from it. I'm glad RE7 is on the up and up. I had figured after 6 and with all the game companies going up and down in Japan, they'd just shelve it for a long while, not actually try something new and low-key.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BlackFrost posted:

I didn't know about this. Is it like Devil May Cry where after you die so much it just pops up a message saying, "Hey buddy, noticed you're having trouble. Don't worry, we went ahead and unlocked Easy Mode for you. :)" because that was hilarious.

Actually, doesn't DMC4 lower the difficulty each time a bit after you die as well? Maybe it's just a Capcom thing.

No RE4 adjusts itself in the fly, giving you more anmo and making the enemies less aggressive if you're doing poorly and the opposite if you're doing well.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope the new RE has a gently caress yeah ending. One of my fave parts of the franchise is that the games always make you feel pretty awesome when you beat it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

I hope the new RE has a gently caress yeah ending. One of my fave parts of the franchise is that the games always make you feel pretty awesome when you beat it.
Counterpoint: there was no awesome feeling in beating Survivor 2 -- Code: Veronica. Nothing at all is awesome about Survivor 2 - Code: Veronica.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

Games that do that are the worst. Or add an additional prompt to switch to Easy after you die a couple of times, just to make getting back into game each time a bit longer. God forbid someone isn't breezing through your game, what if they're not having an Optimal Experience?

Switch to easy and stop dying or get good.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So in this RE7 stream you get your hand chainsawed clean off, pick it back up. Now it's in your inventory with the caption "Your left hand. It's still warm"
I thought it was funny.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh boy a new COC game I can't wait for the tedious thinkpieces about how the game doesn't "get" Lovecraft, presumably because it wasn't written by agoraphobic racists

And maybe the game itself will be good, idk

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lovecraft is one of those things I never got into as a teenager and I'm not sure I missed out on anything.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He wrote some engaging horror stories, just stay far, far away from any nerd who wants to um actually you about cosmic insignificance and how he was totally just being a scamp when he went off about puffy rat-faced jews

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's gonna be ok dude, lovecraft's been dead for a while now

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

FirstAidKite posted:

It's gonna be ok dude, lovecraft's been dead for a while now

Yeah, but one day when the stars are right he will return to the world of the living and his Many-Bigoted Georgian Hell-Manor will rise from the ocean, driving the multitudes to madness and apologia. Only people reminding other people he was racist can save us.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Lovecraft is one of those things I never got into as a teenager and I'm not sure I missed out on anything.

He wrote a fair amount of interesting short stories that delved into a lot of themes that, to my knowledge, weren't commonly written about, whether it was cosmic horror or otherwise. He seemed largely interested in writing about strange horror scenarios involving a progressive loss of sanity over a period of time, or various degrees of body horror, and I think his work is genuinely entertaining. He did a lot of short stories that I feel don't overstay their welcome and last just long enough for you to get into the protagonist's head as you start to understand their fear of the unknown.

Lovecraft is a racist, we all know this, and regardless of whether he was allegedly apologetic about it in later years or whether he was a product of his time or whatever other excuses exist, it doesn't change the fact that he is a racist. He also wrote interesting stories that, save for a few, are entirely separated from his racist views unless you specifically go looking for specific readings of his works that invoke his racist views.

IMO, check out a short story collection. Of the various short stories of his that I've read, I would say I most definitely enjoyed The Color Out Of Space, Cool Air, Pickman's Model, and In the Walls of Eryx.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Lovecraft named his cat Niggerman.

Several of his stories are allegories for miscegenation and the evils of race mixing.

Lovecraft's racism is relevant to all his works.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also most of his books are awful

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can get over the racism if there are other qualities to the work that are worthwhile.

I'll keep your recommendation in mind Kite.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lovecraft named his cat Niggerman.

That's funny tbh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I hope it was a white cat. Just because that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Len posted:

I hope it was a white cat. Just because that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Same. And none of his associates dared comment on it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm that guy who says "dude this isn't Lovecraft" but it's mainly because his name is popular so you'll get a generic product that needs a theme *snaps fingers* tentacle monsters and sanitariums!

From Software's output is more Lovecraftian than most of the stuff with the dude's name on it. Eternal Darkness was what got me into it and that game feels like the designers didn't want to rub shoulders with Chaosium or whoever is happy to sue you for accidentally toeing the extended universe line so they made the lore as vague as possible while still recreating the theme perfectly.

e: Check out the letters between Howard and Lovecraft because they totally explain everything. On one side you have this big softy who believes in traditional masculinity and hangs out with rough and tumble men scraping the bottom of the barrel. On the other is a sickly self taught intellectual who spends much of his young adulthood caring for his mother before being thrust into the heart of NYC.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Lovecraft basically some weird Anglophile who was racist or at least very condescending towards everyone except white men of English descent?

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO, check out a short story collection. Of the various short stories of his that I've read, I would say I most definitely enjoyed The Color Out Of Space, Cool Air, Pickman's Model, and In the Walls of Eryx.

It's been ages since I last read any of these, but I still remember how badly Pickman's Model managed to freak me out at the time. :spooky:

Which was the one that had some old hillbilly showing an unexpected visitor his old book about cannibalism, or something like that? Don't know if I even liked it or not, but it must have left some kind of an impression for me to remember even that much about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Wasn't Lovecraft basically some weird Anglophile who was racist or at least very condescending towards everyone except white men of English descent?

He was a shut-in and a racist who was scared of black people, penguins, rats, the outdoors, albinos and everything else that wasn't a WASP.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

It's been ages since I last read any of these, but I still remember how badly Pickman's Model managed to freak me out at the time. :spooky:

Pickman's Model is legit. It's an art sponsor meeting with a brilliant young artist he's been paying for, seeing the man's work about weird cannibal hounds that live underground and being very impressed Until he realizes the man has been drawing from photographs and that the beasts are real, and flees in terror.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
All of Lovecraft's work was all about fear of the unknown or the other. Basically people's base fears that bring out the lovely republican in folk. It is entirely understandable that a man who found penguins malformed and detestable (no not the albino mutant ones, just regular ol' penguins) was a terrible person.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

HP Lovecraft's mom dressed him in his dead dad's dress clothes.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Shamelessly lifting a post from the Steam thread:

They're also doing a kickstarter for their next game, which seems like it might be interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/beautiful-desolation-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad

I never picked up Stasis despite it being on my radar, but $24 for it and their new game seems appealing!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Faffel posted:

HP Lovecraft's mom dressed him in his dead dad's dress clothes.

Dude's friends thought "hey maybe if we get this guy drunk and laid he'll lighten up". They got him tanked and brought him to a whorehouse, when he realized that the woman in the room taking her clothes off intended to have THE SEX with him, he literally jumped out a second-story window to get away, fortunately he landed on a canvas balcony and was almost unharmed. Of course like any of his protagonists the experience scarred him for life. She wasn't even a "high yaller", she just had a tan.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
these puzzles in cayne are terrible

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
lovecraft would have been a goon star.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm permabanned poster niggermanpetter90

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tired Moritz posted:

lovecraft would have been a goon star.

he would have been run off to my posting career for opening ask/tell threads querying about weirdly specific stuff, like whether or not Latvians are technically human, then they would run him off for not being bigoted enough.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

PSA for Dead by Daylight: If the killer is really obviously not trying to kill you (and if the Wraith keeps dinging his bell without going invisible), give them a follow, they might have a present for you!

I might be way too polite to be playing this game.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Relin posted:

these puzzles in cayne are terrible

Stasis was godawful and I am probably the biggest stan for what its trying to sell. I love isometric games, horror games, and point and click adventures, and I couldn't get through more than 2/3rds of that dreck.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

the black husserl posted:

Stasis was godawful and I am probably the biggest stan for what its trying to sell. I love isometric games, horror games, and point and click adventures, and I couldn't get through more than 2/3rds of that dreck.

Stasis was alright to watch a playthrough of but by god was the voice acting rough. It also looked like rear end to play and some of the puzzle solutions were very unreasonable.

The ending was a downer that the game really didn't earn, also.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Glukeose posted:

The ending was a downer that the game really didn't earn, also.

I was about to say this too, the ending just blew.

Your kid gets sprayed all over the walls in front of you, your freezy-wife was dead all along, you die sending them off not knowing this. "gently caress you" - The Management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Man, I'm not liking the new resident evil.

Crucify me if you like, here's my personal gripes, anybody who likes it please continue to enjoy it.

People keep saying it's BACK TO THE SERIES ROOTS! but it's a completely different style in every way, presentation, atmosphere, combat, characters... The similarities are nods at best. It feels like a different series referencing resident evil more than an actual resident evil game.

The plot is... Not the best... Ending spoilers:
I hesitate to feel bad for somebody who 'just wants a family' getting thwarted when she's stealing other families for her 'psycho murderer clan' that she's so happy with, and having her scream about it at you during the fight with her just means I'm even less likely to give her any room on the subject. I keep seeing people say she's a sympathetic villain but I didn't get that at all; I thought the whole point was she was kind of a wild animal that everyone wanted to get rid of, and that's why Chris shows up in the Umbrella helicopter; poo poo got so bad even the old bad guys came back to help.

Oh, and speaking of that; the helicopter and it's occupant are both really loving dumb as the only concrete links to the series showing up at the very end. I'm sure there's other stuff but that was the first time I could really say "okay yeah this is actually set in the RE verse and not outlast or something."

And herbs don't count as an RE thing when you have to turn them into SH health drinks that you pour on your arm.

To summarize: RE7 had a bad plot and shouldn't have been a resident evil game imho, and all the stuff they put in to go LOOK RESIDENT EVIL always stood out as weird and kinda forced.