Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ryanair is like flying on a bus with their plastic yellow and blue cheapness everywhere. Aer Lingus were probably my least favorite trans atlantic but I was having a super bad day only made worse by a kid kicking me in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ryanair is like flying on a bus with their plastic yellow and blue cheapness everywhere. Aer Lingus were probably my least favorite trans atlantic but I was having a super bad day only made worse by a kid kicking me in the face.

Ryanair has 30" pitch. Air Canada Rouge and Sunwing, and probably Transat although I can't be sure, decided that sort of luxury was excessive and trimmed it down to 29". I think 28" may actually be prohibited by the Geneva Convention.

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Sup. Looking for a flight into Dominican Republic

Origin: YQB

Destination: SDQ

Duration dates: 2 or 3 weeks, leaving on Feb. 25th

Flexibility: Flexible about everything. Could switch SDQ for JBQ or other if the deal is good. I could even switch YQB for YUL. Verrry flexible about dates. I'm aiming for late Feb but early or mid March could even be considered.

Cheapest hipmunk is giving me is at 1361 CAN$. About as expensive or moreso than an all-inclusive resort. Is that realistic?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cold Fusion posted:

Flexibility: Flexible about everything. Could switch SDQ for JBQ or other if the deal is good. I could even switch YQB for YUL. Verrry flexible about dates. I'm aiming for late Feb but early or mid March could even be considered.

Cheapest hipmunk is giving me is at 1361 CAN$. About as expensive or moreso than an all-inclusive resort. Is that realistic?

I'm seeing under $800 on Google Flights for that route, or under $700 if you fly out of YUL. Granted, you'll have to connect through the US, but it's probably worth it to save that much money.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cold Fusion posted:

YUL-SDQ with a plane change at MEX for $582CAD. Depart February 24 and return March 17. Redeye on the way out but such is life. And you don't have to transit the US which is nice.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Mackieman posted:

YUL-SDQ with a plane change at MEX for $582CAD. Depart February 24 and return March 17. Redeye on the way out but such is life. And you don't have to transit the US which is nice.

Except you have to transit MEX... which is... even worse!!

Here's what you could do Cold Fusion. Are you flying for leisure or business? Personal or corporate money? Most people going to SDQ are not there for vacation.

You can fly nonstop on Air Transat with the vacation crowd direct from YQB to PUJ (Punta Cana). From PUJ, rent a car and just drive to Santo Domingo. It's about a 2hr drive. You can bus too if you want to do that, but I recommend you probably speak Spanish and have some courage.

It's $577 CAD for YQB-PUJ roundtrip direct on Air Transat. This might be worth the trouble so you don't have a crappy overnight layovers flying Air Canada, WestJet, Aeromexico, and having to deal with a connection. Or having to deal with getting yourself to YUL.

https://www.google.ca/flights/#search;f=YQB;t=SDQ,AZS,PUJ;d=2017-02-24;r=2017-03-14;sel=YQBPUJ0TS462,PUJYQB0TS569

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 21, 2016

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

i fly airplanes posted:

Except you have to transit MEX... which is... even worse!!

Here's what you could do Cold Fusion. Are you flying for leisure or business? Personal or corporate money? Most people going to SDQ are not there for vacation.

You can fly nonstop on Air Transat with the vacation crowd direct from YQB to PUJ (Punta Cana). From PUJ, rent a car and just drive to Santo Domingo. It's about a 2hr drive. You can bus too if you want to do that, but I recommend you probably speak Spanish and have some courage.

It's $577 CAD for YQB-PUJ roundtrip direct on Air Transat. This might be worth the trouble so you don't have a crappy overnight layovers flying Air Canada, WestJet, Aeromexico, and having to deal with a connection. Or having to deal with getting yourself to YUL.

https://www.google.ca/flights/#search;f=YQB;t=SDQ,AZS,PUJ;d=2017-02-24;r=2017-03-14;sel=YQBPUJ0TS462,PUJYQB0TS569

I actually am going there for leisure, just taking a different route ;)

All good advice. Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I'm looking for YVR - TPE round trip, March 5-12 with a day or two of flexibility on either end (it's for an event March 10-11) and I need to be back by the night of March 13 latest. I see a crazy ~ $420 fare on Kayak for March 5-13, but it's with Xiamen Air, which, eh... Any alternatives worth considering? I don't mind paying more for a more reputable or established carrier, especially with above-average seat pitch in economy (I think I had 34" on ANA last time, so nice).

TIA.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You could book a comfortable flight to Tokyo then use an LCC for the 2:30 flight to Taipei.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

gloom posted:

I'm looking for YVR - TPE round trip, March 5-12 with a day or two of flexibility on either end (it's for an event March 10-11) and I need to be back by the night of March 13 latest. I see a crazy ~ $420 fare on Kayak for March 5-13, but it's with Xiamen Air, which, eh... Any alternatives worth considering? I don't mind paying more for a more reputable or established carrier, especially with above-average seat pitch in economy (I think I had 34" on ANA last time, so nice).

TIA.

You'll survive. Xiamen is 33" pitch. Economy is also nearly identical amongst most legacy carriers these days.

Also, it's going hard to beat that price point, and you are inflexible with dates, so I don't think you will get a better airline that you want for the same price. Normally, you'd be stuck in Philippines Airlines or an even worse carrier when paying that little.

Alternatively, go to Seattle and fly Delta, https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SEA;t=TPE,TSA;d=2017-03-06;r=2017-03-15;sel=SEANRT0DL167-NRTTPE1DL69,TPEICN0KE692-ICNSEA0DL198

Assuming you are based in Vancouver though, that is a big hassle to cross the border and arrange transportation at your own expense for very little upside. (That is, flying Delta economy over Xiamen economy.)

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 7, 2017

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

i fly airplanes posted:

You'll survive. Xiamen is 33" pitch. Economy is also nearly identical amongst most legacy carriers these days.

Also, it's going hard to beat that price point, and you are inflexible with dates, so I don't think you will get a better airline that you want for the same price. Normally, you'd be stuck in Philippines Airlines or an even worse carrier when paying that little.

Alternatively, go to Seattle and fly Delta, https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SEA;t=TPE,TSA;d=2017-03-06;r=2017-03-15;sel=SEANRT0DL167-NRTTPE1DL69,TPEICN0KE692-ICNSEA0DL198

Assuming you are based in Vancouver though, that is a big hassle to cross the border and arrange transportation at your own expense for very little upside. (That is, flying Delta economy over Xiamen economy.)
Thanks for the reassurance, I went for it and feel better about trying Xiamen, especially at this price. Delta is at the bottom of my list after a bad ticketing experience years ago. I guess I was hoping for ANA or one of the Taiwanese carriers, which have all been consistently excellent for me.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

gloom posted:

Thanks for the reassurance, I went for it and feel better about trying Xiamen, especially at this price. Delta is at the bottom of my list after a bad ticketing experience years ago. I guess I was hoping for ANA or one of the Taiwanese carriers, which have all been consistently excellent for me.

Xiamen is one of the best Chinese carriers next to Hainan if it's any consolation. You'll be fine.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Doing some research for my buddies.

5-6 dudes. Any 1 week in May. Little Rock, AR to Belize or any similar tropical getaway that's not super American. I'm seeing $382 on Google Flights. It's probably not gonna get any better than that, right?

Seems like a lot of rooms there are under $100 a night, too.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

89 posted:

5-6 dudes. Any 1 week in May. Little Rock, AR to Belize or any similar tropical getaway that's not super American. I'm seeing $382 on Google Flights. It's probably not gonna get any better than that, right?

From LIT, yeah, $382 is about as cheap as one could reasonably expect. There are a few other options in that same price range if you were to make the drive down to DFW and leave from there, but nothing that is notably cheaper.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since im on my phone and can't really search: Have you tried google flights' map view?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

89 posted:

I didn't control for the number of passengers (price for one person) - Havana $343 (a bit more for a shorter connection) 1/5-8/6

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

US travel to Cuba is still heavily restricted by the US government, I think you still need to be approved or part of a tour -- so, it'll be plenty American. I remember when they first relaxed the restrictions to allow that -- it was a nightmare for the rest of us whenever the giant American tour group would arrive at wherever you were. There were many Americans there who didn't go as part of a tour, but they flew through third countries the "old way."

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Have a friend trying to fly out of MKE into AMS and then FCO to MKE. He wants to leave on the 14th of July and fly back on the 28th of July. His dates have a bit of wiggle room in being able to leave a day or two before or a day or two after. Right now, I'm finding flights for around $1500 ($1420 if he leaves on the 12th) and that seems fine for flying out of a small airport and having an open jaw to Europe in July, but I thought I'd get a more informed opinion.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Blinkman987 posted:

Have a friend trying to fly out of MKE into AMS and then FCO to MKE. He wants to leave on the 14th of July and fly back on the 28th of July. His dates have a bit of wiggle room in being able to leave a day or two before or a day or two after. Right now, I'm finding flights for around $1500 ($1420 if he leaves on the 12th) and that seems fine for flying out of a small airport and having an open jaw to Europe in July, but I thought I'd get a more informed opinion.

Tell him to make the 70 mile drive to ORD. Saves $500.

Edit: And stop at Mars Cheese Castle on the way down because that cheese is badass.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 18, 2017

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008
I just booked a flight that goes DUB - LHR - (change airports) - LGW - LAS - LGW - (change airports) - LHR - DUB, for half the price of the LGW - LAS return alone. I live in London.

This is my first time taking advantage of this kind so just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. I know I have to start in Dublin, but I don't have to catch the last flight there (right?). The first airport change is overnight so am I right in thinking I just need to fly DUB - LHR, go home and sleep and show up at LGW the next morning? Presumably I will be able to check bags on LGW - LAS even if I don't do so on DUB - LHR?

Thanks!

a drink or two fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 21, 2017

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

a drink or two posted:

I just booked a flight that goes DUB - LHR - (change airports) - LGW - LAS - LGW - (change airports) - LHR - DUB, for half the price of the LGW - LAS return alone. I live in London.

This is my first time taking advantage of this kind so just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. I know I have to start in Dublin, but I don't have to catch the last flight there (right?). The first airport change is overnight so am I right in thinking I just need to fly DUB - LHR, go home and sleep and show up at LGW the next morning? Presumably I will be able to check bags on LGW - LAS even if I don't do so on DUB - LHR?

Thanks!

Smart move. I'm assuming you're flying LGW-LAS on on Virgin and DUB-LHR on either BA or Aer Lingus. Yes, by the rules, you have to start in Dublin.

You do not have to make your last connecting flight, that can be "thrown away", but you will not be able to check bags on the way back normally. Normally, your bags would be tagged to DUB, not LHR, which is where you intend on leaving.

BUT you are either smart or lucky in booking a self-airport transfer between LGW-LHR, because BA would NOT transfer your bags and you are responsible for making that trip across town to make the connection. If it was LAS-LHR-DUB, you'd be screwed for checking bags, especially since you're not overnighting. The first one would have been OK, no matter which airport, since it was overnight.

So you basically can treat this as a LGW-LAS-LGW fare for the purposes of checking bags, but you do still have to fly to DUB for that first segment.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 22, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
edit: nevermind

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

Smart move. I'm assuming you're flying LGW-LAS on on Virgin and DUB-LHR on either BA or Aer Lingus. Yes, by the rules, you have to start in Dublin.

You do not have to make your last connecting flight, that can be "thrown away", but you will not be able to check bags on the way back normally. Normally, your bags would be tagged to DUB, not LHR, which is where you intend on leaving.

BUT you are either smart or lucky in booking a self-airport transfer between LGW-LHR, because BA would NOT transfer your bags and you are responsible for making that trip across town to make the connection. If it was LAS-LHR-DUB, you'd be screwed for checking bags, especially since you're not overnighting. The first one would have been OK, no matter which airport, since it was overnight.

So you basically can treat this as a LGW-LAS-LGW fare for the purposes of checking bags, but you do still have to fly to DUB for that first segment.

Thanks! Sounds good. I deliberately paid ~£10 more for the flight with the change of airport on the way back so I could get my bags out. It's a ridiculous deal to be honest!

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd skip the last leg as well, but there is some debate on FlyerTalk about whether BA might somehow "target" people who skip the last leg on ex-EU fares

Don't know if anything concrete has come of it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'd skip the last leg as well, but there is some debate on FlyerTalk about whether BA might somehow "target" people who skip the last leg on ex-EU fares

Don't know if anything concrete has come of it.

If you do it a lot, they may take notice. It's a violation of the contract of carriage you agree to when you buy a ticket. That said, I've done it a number of times and I may do it again in the future if the need and opportunity arises. With that in mind, I almost never do it on a carrier I hold status with and if I do, I don't apply my frequent flyer account to it as that's a great way to get your account revoked if the airline feels like you're abusing it.

As with anything else, your mileage will assuredly vary. Doing it once in a while is probably not a big deal, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

gzus711
Jan 14, 2004
Origin: SAV (Savannah, Ga)
Destination: OSL (Oslo, Norway)
Duration of trip with dates: ~1 week. Either 3/31 - 4/8 or 4/7 - 4/15
Flexibility: I can leave Savannah 1 day later. I can leave Oslo 1 day later but would need to arrive in Savannah the same day.

When I ran a google flights query on 4/7 for SAV to JFK I found:
JetBlue - Sav (6:59 PM) to JFK (9:12 PM) for $77
Then I ran a query on 4/7 for JFK to OSL and found:
Norwegian - JFK (11:00 PM) to OSL (12:20 PM the following day) for $281
Total: $358

When I ran a query on 4/7 for SAV to OSL:
The cheapest route was $764 one way.

Why would Google flights not list the flight combination that is $358? Is the layover not a sufficient amount of time or is there another factor I am not aware of?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

gzus711 posted:

Flexibility: I can leave Savannah 1 day later. I can leave Oslo 1 day later but would need to arrive in Savannah the same day.

Why would Google flights not list the flight combination that is $358? Is the layover not a sufficient amount of time or is there another factor I am not aware of?

Google Flights doesn't find flights on separate tickets, only combinations that can be purchased at once. You will need to check your bags in separately at JFK and are not protected in case of a misconnect or a delay on your B6 flight (but check the JFK minimum connecting time for dom-int, you may be covered by travel insurance if your combo meets it).

edit: but don't count on travel insurance (check your policy first), note that the MCTs displayed on airlines' websites might be MCTs for those specific airlines, and that the travel insurance might only refund your $281 instead of get you a new ticket

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 24, 2017

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

gzus711 posted:

Because they are two completely separate tickets and fares. Kayak called these "hacker fares" and sometimes showed you how to buy them.

If you were to buy this fare, try to find an earlier JetBlue SAV-JFK flight to give yourself enough buffer time. If your SAV-JFK flights gets delayed, you are completely screwed. And given JetBlue's mediocre on-time performance, that is a real possibility, though you should also look at this particular route's performance.

If you were also to check bags, you would also be double-charged for both JetBlue's SAV-JFK flight as well as the JFK-OSL portion. You also have to pick them up each time, as Norwegian and JetBlue do not have an interline agreement. Overall, it may still work out to substantial savings.

Since you are flying from SAV, you should also be looking at flights from FLL and MCO as well. Norwegian flies from both of those cities as well. You can also look at the places WOW Air flies to from the US, they have excellent fares to Europe similarly.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
1-way flight from FLL (Fort Lauderdale) to Providence (PVD) on Sunday, May 7th. Would have to be after 10:30-11 AM. It would be possible, though slightly inconvenient, to do Boston instead of Providence.

Currently, I'm seeing average prices in the high 200's per passenger. Is it likely at this point that there would be any great deals, or at least price drops below 200-150 before May? Trying to walk the line of waiting for a better price without waiting too long and getting stuck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For a one way flight with that many specifics that feels pretty good to me.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

AirAsia has been granted approval by the FAA to start flights to American airports, first LCC to be given permission.
-
I can't think of anything worse than flying an LCC across the Pacific Ocean, good god.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Flying Air Canada Rouge over the Atlantic probably counts. Seatguru says the Rouge planes have 2 inches less pitch than AirAsia X, and the same lovely nickel-and-dime food and drink service!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And yet they'll fill the planes if people can save a nickel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well, I know I certainly love to start a European vacation stressed out, tired and horribly uncomfortable!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sellouts posted:

The thing about Air Canada Rouge is that they charge exactly the same prices as regular Air Canada flights. They only fly "rouge" on certain holiday-centric routes but they aren't advertised as a LCC, and they're not a LCC. Air Canada just decided to make their planes that do mainly holiday routes shittier and charge the same price.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

sellouts posted:

I can't wait for people to load themselves into C-17's, hold onto a strap for 12 hours, and have a bucket with a curtain as a bathroom to go on vacation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If this thread could explain how to book that on the ita matrix people would ask.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I can't wait for people to load themselves into C-17's, hold onto a strap for 12 hours, and have a bucket with a curtain as a bathroom to go on vacation.

In all honesty, I'd rather stand than contort myself into some 30-inch-or-less pitch piece of poo poo seat.

Sunwing has 29 inch pitch now. That's so, so much worse than just being on your feet for a few hours.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

sellouts posted:

If this thread could explain how to book that on the ita matrix people would ask.

lol

PT6A posted:

In all honesty, I'd rather stand than contort myself into some 30-inch-or-less pitch piece of poo poo seat.

Sunwing has 29 inch pitch now. That's so, so much worse than just being on your feet for a few hours.

Instead of driving your knee into the back of the seat in front of you we'll just rip each other's straps off the ceiling when we go to the bucket.

Am I the only one that doesn't recline the seat as much as possible? Even in business I usually just put the foot rest up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In business I straight up put the seat down flat pretty much as soon as we've taken off (and change into the PJs I brought on board) and enjoy watching TV and napping.

In domestic business though yeah I don't move the seat at all, same in economy. Makes virtually no difference and just annoys the people behind me.