Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

demonR6 posted:

That lasted three days before we got renamed.. I think we broke a record. Next name up is WUTNG. There were a bunch on names on the Discord in botes_challenge. Jump in there and vote for something else while I wait for the drooling idiots from WG to contact me about it.

I was the one who suggested WUTNG make me god emperor

(don't do this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Nope. That's not goons. We're now RMN56

Well, then, now I have applied to the clan as Airborne_Commissar

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, then, now I have applied to the clan as Airborne_Commissar

Please tell me every time you're in a CV and the BBs are being cowardly you enact Order 227

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Didn't wargaming actually name our clan 4SKIN for us?

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker
Goddammit. I'm busy bringing shame to the good name of RNM56 today.

Got a smooth 8,000 damage just now on 21 hits with my Fiji even after catching a Belfast by surprise and having him broadside right in front of my face (he got nuked by a friendly BB and I spent the next 5 minutes of my "life" trying unsuccessfully to dodge torpedo and dive bombers).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Please tell me every time you're in a CV and the BBs are being cowardly you enact Order 227

I should. Today was a day of futility. Idiots who abandon their capture to get shot by a superior enemy, teams who split up so they can get picked off one at a time....

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MadBurgerMaker posted:

Goddammit. I'm busy bringing shame to the good name of RNM56 today.

Got a smooth 8,000 damage just now on 21 hits with my Fiji even after catching a Belfast by surprise and having him broadside right in front of my face (he got nuked by a friendly BB and I spent the next 5 minutes of my "life" trying unsuccessfully to dodge torpedo and dive bombers).

If you're getting ricochets (sounds like it, since even low caliber guns will punch clean through a Belfast) make sure you're either aiming for superstructure if you're at middling range (otherwise your poo poo will bounce off the deck and plunge into the side armor at an awkward angle), and aim towards the part of their ship closest to you. Unless they are perfectly broadside (very rare), shooting at the part of their ship furthest away from you is also firing in the most heavily angled part, meaning more ricochets. All you need is for the shell to attempt penetration and you'll very likely get it against soft ships, like the Belfast.

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker

Hazdoc posted:

If you're getting ricochets (sounds like it, since even low caliber guns will punch clean through a Belfast) make sure you're either aiming for superstructure if you're at middling range (otherwise your poo poo will bounce off the deck and plunge into the side armor at an awkward angle), and aim towards the part of their ship closest to you. Unless they are perfectly broadside (very rare), shooting at the part of their ship furthest away from you is also firing in the most heavily angled part, meaning more ricochets. All you need is for the shell to attempt penetration and you'll very likely get it against soft ships, like the Belfast.

I think I'm just being a jumpy dumbass today. Went and got some groceries, came back, and did better in the Farragut.

Another problem that I'm having is that I'm pretty positive I moved up way too fast way too soon with all the poo poo from those ridiculous Santa Boxes. I essentially free XPed my way using those doubloons and the shitload of Premium ships I got from Caledon (which I actually earned without a premium account and was doing okay in) all the way up to Fiji. Then I used ships like Atlanta, once I got it for Santa doubloons, in a bunch of co-op missions to burn (400 hits, set poo poo on fire, blow up modules, things like that) through those Spee convoy missions and ended up in tiers 6, 7, and 8 with less than 100 random battles. I'm going to drop back down to the lower tiers and actually learn how to play better, grind up some regular ships, etc.

E: Okay I swear to god some of these teammates are ramming and shooting torpedoes at me on purpose. I feel like I'm spending more time dodging poo poo from people on my own team than anything else. Also just now: In a T3 match, a guy in a Black Swan (!) and his division mate in something more normal just decided to trade a couple of broadsides into each other right after things kicked off. We lost that one.

MadBurgerMaker fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 24, 2017

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

MadBurgerMaker posted:

E: Okay I swear to god some of these teammates are ramming and shooting torpedoes at me on purpose. I feel like I'm spending more time dodging poo poo from people on my own team than anything else. Also just now: In a T3 match, a guy in a Black Swan (!) and his division mate in something more normal just decided to trade a couple of broadsides into each other right after things kicked off. We lost that one.

I have anxiety about learning to CV properly and not dicking it up, and then I remember people like this exist.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Messing around with my Furutaka and got blown up first. Managed to get a few torps off beforehand. Left the battle, played another, and I come back to this:

Note to self: exit AFTER your torps hit.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

That happened to me with the Kamikaze yesterday. :henget:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MadBurgerMaker posted:

I think I'm just being a jumpy dumbass today. Went and got some groceries, came back, and did better in the Farragut.

Another problem that I'm having is that I'm pretty positive I moved up way too fast way too soon with all the poo poo from those ridiculous Santa Boxes. I essentially free XPed my way using those doubloons and the shitload of Premium ships I got from Caledon (which I actually earned without a premium account and was doing okay in) all the way up to Fiji. Then I used ships like Atlanta, once I got it for Santa doubloons, in a bunch of co-op missions to burn (400 hits, set poo poo on fire, blow up modules, things like that) through those Spee convoy missions and ended up in tiers 6, 7, and 8 with less than 100 random battles. I'm going to drop back down to the lower tiers and actually learn how to play better, grind up some regular ships, etc.

If you're going up the US DD tree and want to keep a low-tier ship to gently caress around in, the Clemson is a great choice. I have the Gearing, Fletcher, Farragut (Santa), and Clemson sitting in my port. And yeah, dodging friendly torps happens at all tiers but at low tiers especially.

Thundercakes posted:

I have anxiety about learning to CV properly and not dicking it up, and then I remember people like this exist.

Just play on Co-op with a Langley to learn the UI and how to strafe and manual drop. Then move on to random battles to get a feel for having to compensate for retard teammates. Then get a Hosho when you're ready to actually progress up the CV line. :v:

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

jownzy posted:

Didn't wargaming actually name our clan 4SKIN for us?

Has anyone checked if we can just use 4SKIN again? I mean, probably not, but wargaming.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
What was so offensive about 4SKIN anyway? Being a sailor with a covered citadel is nothing to be ashamed of!

...did they at least give a reason?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
References to genitalia are prohibited. I'm surprised they let us have it in the first place.

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker

El Disco posted:

If you're going up the US DD tree and want to keep a low-tier ship to gently caress around in, the Clemson is a great choice. I have the Gearing, Fletcher, Farragut (Santa), and Clemson sitting in my port. And yeah, dodging friendly torps happens at all tiers but at low tiers especially.

Oh okay. I'm on the Wickes now, so it shouldn't be too long to the Clemson.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Clemson is so good. Make sure to get the gun upgrade, it doubles the number of guns per turret without telling you ahead of time.

Isokaze is also good and an introduction to stealth torpedo gameplay.

In general though, low-tier games do not really prepare you for higher-tier gameplay. This makes sense given that there is a huge technology difference between the WW1 era, the inter-war period, and the intrawar designs.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Vengarr posted:

References to genitalia are prohibited. I'm surprised they let us have it in the first place.

Don't forget to tell people that "dongs" is the sound a bell makes, or is the official currency of Vietnam!

Vengarr posted:

In general though, low-tier games do not really prepare you for higher-tier gameplay. This makes sense given that there is a huge technology difference between the WW1 era, the inter-war period, and the intrawar designs.

It's uncanny to see the similarities. ww1 lower tiers are a bunch of detonations, ships passing each other haphazardly, learning about new tech and new processes that have never been experienced before.

ww2 tiers are about capital gun ships staying as far away from the fight as possible while staying still or running away. carriers stay at arms length as a strike force to poo poo on anything around. destroyers and to an extent cruisers do most of the fleet's naval work.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
4SKIN just ain't happening again. I have to submit this back to some rear end hat whose gong to review.

WUTNG was approved, I need the tagline. I can't be arsed to make the tagline and description again because gently caress Wargaming. If someone can just post a CLEAN, short tagline that does not have vulgar, obscene or racist innuendo so I can reply to these gently caress's and get our name again that would be swell. Else I'll make something stupid up and we have to live with it for 2500 gold.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

demonR6 posted:

4SKIN just ain't happening again. I have to submit this back to some rear end hat whose gong to review.

WUTNG was approved, I need the tagline. I can't be arsed to make the tagline and description again because gently caress Wargaming. If someone can just post a CLEAN, short tagline that does not have vulgar, obscene or racist innuendo so I can reply to these gently caress's and get our name again that would be swell. Else I'll make something stupid up and we have to live with it for 2500 gold.

I'll say it again. Women's Undersea Tours NewsGroup.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Apparently the wrong 4SKEN added me, now I've dropped them so I can join, uh, WUTNG?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I'll say it again. Women's Undersea Tours NewsGroup.

Not gonna lie, the first time I saw WUTNG I immediately thought of Wu-Tang Clan. I'm not very creative.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Thundercakes posted:

Not gonna lie, the first time I saw WUTNG I immediately thought of Wu-Tang Clan. I'm not very creative.

Well, that's what it really stands for, but we can't mention that.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Someone will probably report it down the line in any case.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wisconsinites for Unity Through Naval Gaming - perhaps you've heard of us?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

NTRabbit posted:

Wisconsinites for Unity Through Naval Gaming - perhaps you've heard of us?

Based out of my apartment in Milwaukee

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Dirty Coxswains [CXSWN]

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
To fix high tiers you should overhaul the game. Torpedo, repair and spotting dynamics. I'm quite sure, knowing Wargaming, that they won't change it - ever, and the only fix to that is a division.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

That's more like it.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Ice Fist posted:

Based out of my apartment in Milwaukee

Sup MKE, 414 what.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Pacific Naval Institute Staff [PNIS]

Also my Ognevoi ate three IJN DDs in one sitting today. None of them used their guns, two launched torpedoes and missed, one ran straight into my torpedoes.

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Just got my Hipper and I'm liking it so far even though it is a bit fragile. Still rocking the A hull but was looking at the C upgrade and that looks like it will make this ship very fun.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Somehow my Atago became the #1 ship to shoot at in a game. I think my targets aimed at you thing said 5 at one point. One guy in a Nagato turned broadside to a New Mexico simply to get more shots on me, that New Mex ate him alive. If he hadn't done that he would have probably done a number on that New Mex and me.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

How many other cruisers were there on your team?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
It is fascinating how quickly pubbies are picking up that infamous HE spamming shups are to be killed quickly thanks to ifhe. It didn't take them as long as I expected for the learning to reach them.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

It is fascinating how quickly pubbies are picking up that infamous HE spamming shups are to be killed quickly thanks to ifhe. It didn't take them as long as I expected for the learning to reach them.

Shinyhorse with IFHE is flat out BRUTAL. Once I'm around 10km, I start slinging AP but it's really satisfying to get multiple citadels on a cruiser from a long range HE volley.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
WUTNG was declined, PNIS was declined, TORPS was loving declined.. Seriously I spent four goddamned hours back and forth with these people. Every single one declined saying "We are sorry but the name you have chosen violates policy, please choose another."

Finally I gave up and made one last suggestion before telling them to forget it we'll keep RNMD56 and I lost 2500 gold for nothing. It was accepted probably due to the loving irony of what I chose.

gently caress Wargaming. Die in a car fire.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Aww. :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
WTF is BANT?

Also tell them we want our SEAMN back ;0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker
Wait how does TORPS violate their policy?