Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dehtraen posted:

Is Saffi still broken on mtgo?

You've got to be loving kidding me it does literally nothing on MTGO. Jesus loving christ Wizards.

quote:

5:56 AM: Turn 6: Abaris.
5:56 AM: Abaris plays Swamp.
5:56 AM: Abaris casts Crypt Champion.
5:56 AM: Abaris puts triggered ability from Crypt Champion onto the stack (When Crypt Champion enters the battlefield, each player puts a creature card with converted mana c...).
5:56 AM: Abaris puts triggered ability from Crypt Champion onto the stack (When Crypt Champion enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless was spent to cast it.).
5:57 AM: Abaris activates an ability of Saffi Eriksdotter targeting Crypt Champion ( When target creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn, return that card ...).
5:57 AM: Saffi Eriksdotter is returned to the battlefield from Abaris's graveyard.

And then the stack is empty because the Crypt Champion doesn't return. Cool, good, fine Wizards, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Saffi has been broken for years along with Wall of Roots. I thought this was common knowledge. I'm pretty sure I posted something about it last time this came up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
People were expecting a fix after the Eldritch Evolution combo brought the bug back into prominence.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

Saffi has been broken for years along with Wall of Roots. I thought this was common knowledge. I'm pretty sure I posted something about it last time this came up.

Apparently the Saffi bug is finally going to be fixed with the update on the 25th

https://mobile.twitter.com/CKiritz/status/821079646162731009

Same guy also said the following about the wall of roots bug "Still no ETA. Fix is more complicated/time intensive than we can allocate at this time."

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Any y'all hitting up Regionals in MN? Tinkering with an Affinity deck, not sure how to shore up combo, Skred and Eldrazi, could use help with it, can post later when I have time.

Loaning Skred to a mate, turns out the deck is obnoxiously good against things that aren't combo, will also post this one. It's based on Mackie's list but with a couple substituions made out of laziness/preference.

I was the one that said to buy Saffi, and I'd like to thank the poster who first pointed out the combo with Rallier during spoilers. I prefer Rallier and Viscera Seer over Crypt Champion.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I used to play Magic fifteen or so years ago, and I've dangerously been getting a hankering to play again. I've downloaded the Magic Duels game on Steam and I've made my way through the first campaign and plan the rest over the next few days. What's the best way to get into Magic at the moment. Most of what I remember is the cost and finicky nerds doing anything for an edge. I was never interested in dominating the game, and I'm more looking for entertainment value without spending a fortune to get competitive.

Even reading through this thread is intimidating with so many references to cards for decks, and combinations. The way I'm looking at it I'm not too sure if I'd ever manage to catch up on someone who's spent five years on the meta. I'm fine with having less knowledge, but when there's the cost aspect added into it I'm not too sure if I could even keep up.

I know there's FNM but knowing nothing, and having never played a draft I can't even imagine building a deck let alone managing to play it. If Magic Duels can get me up to speed with some of the game (presuming it keeps up with the release schedule) I might give it a go, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll drop into it for a few months, realise the breadth of the game is stomping me and then fall away.

I do have this (minus any decent cards my brother snagged, as he played on for longer than me.) Would these be useful for pauper games? Is pauper actually played? Can old cards keep up with modern abilities?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mrenda posted:

I do have this (minus any decent cards my brother snagged, as he played on for longer than me.) Would these be useful for pauper games? Is pauper actually played? Can old cards keep up with modern abilities?

That sure is a picture of a box of cardboard. I'm not quite sure how we're meant to determine whether those cards are pauper-ready from that picture, but the answer is almost certainly "no".

Pauper is played a lot more online than in paper. As a general rule, older spells are better, newer creatures are better.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

PleasantDirge posted:

Anywhoodle I def got $20 on mcmagic if anyone wants to put anything on Hetfield. Kinda late but I've had a motherfucker of a day.

What?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

That sure is a picture of a box of cardboard. I'm not quite sure how we're meant to determine whether those cards are pauper-ready from that picture, but the answer is almost certainly "no".

Pauper is played a lot more online than in paper. As a general rule, older spells are better, newer creatures are better.

That pretty much answers it for me then. A random assortment of cards from a random point in Magic history is not appropriate for Pauper. I'll go through them just to see if there's anything I remember from it then, but as an easy "in" to Magic I guess I'm none the wiser.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

He wants you guys to fight, but secretly he cares more about that kiss MMA fighters some times do when sizing each other up to show they're still free spirits and not just cold hearted killers.

Edit: If you are getting back into magic go to MTGgoldfish.com and look at the metagame section to look at decks and watch videos of them being played.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Why would we fight?

I just asked mcmagic why he wasn't wrecking names on the GP circuit / SCG opens because every time someone here has a thought or opinion he is quick to tell them how they're wrong what is correct.

I just figured with all that vast knowledge he has over us plebs he should be out there dominating the circuit.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

I just figured with all that vast knowledge he has over us plebs he should be out there dominating the circuit.

I really hate this kind of argument. "Oh, you've got an opinion that you're willing to voice, even though you've been hoisted on your own petard multiple times before? Well why aren't you king poo poo of MTG mountain :smugdog: owned :smuggo:"

Let McMagic be wrong when they want to be wrong.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I used to play Magic fifteen or so years ago, and I've dangerously been getting a hankering to play again. I've downloaded the Magic Duels game on Steam and I've made my way through the first campaign and plan the rest over the next few days. What's the best way to get into Magic at the moment. Most of what I remember is the cost and finicky nerds doing anything for an edge. I was never interested in dominating the game, and I'm more looking for entertainment value without spending a fortune to get competitive.

Even reading through this thread is intimidating with so many references to cards for decks, and combinations. The way I'm looking at it I'm not too sure if I'd ever manage to catch up on someone who's spent five years on the meta. I'm fine with having less knowledge, but when there's the cost aspect added into it I'm not too sure if I could even keep up.

I know there's FNM but knowing nothing, and having never played a draft I can't even imagine building a deck let alone managing to play it. If Magic Duels can get me up to speed with some of the game (presuming it keeps up with the release schedule) I might give it a go, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll drop into it for a few months, realise the breadth of the game is stomping me and then fall away.

A new set just came out, so now might be a good time to get into drafting, since you won't be that far behind everyone else. There's definitely a high skill cap, but the level of play varies a lot. It's also a good way to scout out a store, you can talk to the owners and the players to find out which formats are popular and what might be a cheap way to get into playing there. If you're worried about sucking, you can install xmage or cockatrice and find groups to draft with for free.

EDH might be a good fit for you, it's not too competitive, and there's a lot of preconstructed decks for 30-40 dollars or something that can easily be upgraded for cheap. Personally I hate the format, it feels like playing a poorly designed board game, but it's very popular.

"Real" pauper decks are actually pretty powerful, and if you just try to make something out of your commons box you'll get blown out of the water. The format is actually pretty diverse though, you can check out a ton of decks here and see if you have any of the cards for them. Paper pauper isn't too popular though, check with local stores to see if they run events before you start putting up cash. It's very popular on mtgo though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tubgoat posted:

Any y'all hitting up Regionals in MN? Tinkering with an Affinity deck, not sure how to shore up combo, Skred and Eldrazi, could use help with it, can post later when I have time.

Loaning Skred to a mate, turns out the deck is obnoxiously good against things that aren't combo, will also post this one. It's based on Mackie's list but with a couple substituions made out of laziness/preference.

I was the one that said to buy Saffi, and I'd like to thank the poster who first pointed out the combo with Rallier during spoilers. I prefer Rallier and Viscera Seer over Crypt Champion.

I just looked up regionals because I think its fun and I am shocked to realize its the 4th. The local store that runs regionals is too loving lazy to actually spread the word it seems.

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=agghufuab&oeidk=a07edl5dynsb09d169e

There is the prereg for texas if anyone is wondering. It sold out last year and I imagine it will again this year.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/3991

:kheldragar:

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Mrenda posted:

That pretty much answers it for me then. A random assortment of cards from a random point in Magic history is not appropriate for Pauper. I'll go through them just to see if there's anything I remember from it then, but as an easy "in" to Magic I guess I'm none the wiser.

I started playing a couple of years ago and started with Legacy, so what worked for me might work for you.

I started by picking out a (relatively) dirt cheap deck to play (a burn deck that was ~$60. Then, I had a friend who was familiar with Legacy run me through a gauntlet of decks using XMage (free software for playing Magic online), and he would explain how each deck worked prior to kicking my rear end with it. After doing this a handful of nights and slowly building the deck up, I took it out to weeklies at my FLGS and got my rear end handed to me repeatedly, while explaining to each opponent "I'm a totally newbie idiot, please tell me if I'm doing something wrong," and in my experience, people were really helpful, patient, and understanding. Over the course of a few months, I got to know the format really well.

If you don't have someone to help you get a crash course on the format you're looking into, I'd recommend watching deck techs on YouTube (MTG Goldfish, ChannelFireball, StarCityGames are decent channels for this) and will typically also include a series of games played with those decks.

Initially, breaking into a format can be intimidating, but it doesn't take really that long to catch up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mrenda posted:

With regards to the box, if you take pictures of the cards such that people can see at least some of them, we may be able to help tell you if you randomly have something worth $100 or something.

The easiest in to competitive Magic from a monetary perspective is probably sealed/draft; if one of your local shops does them for Thursday Night Magic or some such, I'd actually recommend Sealed because you don't have to deal with mentally building a deck while drafting and should be able to ask the people around you for help. The other options are buying a constructed deck of some sort, but I'd personally I'd probably hold off on that so you don't end up sinking hundreds of dollars into a deck you don't like, or putting together an EDH deck based off of a legend you like.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

With regards to learning draft:

Definitely check out your local stores and ask advice.

My primary local store typically runs 3 draft pods when a set is fairly new (it of course drops to 2 or even 1 as the set ages) and that covers all skill levels.

We typically get 1 or 2 people a month who have never drafted, with it maybe being every 6 months those people have never played at all before.
Do they lose their first draft? You betcha. But im the beginners pod they'll still have fun, typically taking a game or two.
Plus, the store staff will help you get familiar, or help build from your picks, and if they're too busy, they'll get a regular from a higher pod to give you a hand. Might not always be able to explain succinctly why the changes are better for your deck (or when they tell you never get excited over certain types of cards) but if you let them do it for you, your chances to win will go up and up week on week.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mcmagic posted:

The point is that the card's raw power on it's own isn't enough for it to see a lot of play without synergy.

Isn't that the case with pretty much every card that's not being run in jund/junk? affinity, tron, infect, dredge, lantern control are all a bunch of "bad" cards that have synergy together.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Drafting will cost between $10-$15 most likely each time you do it. It is probably the cheapest way to play mtg at a store with prizing for events and if you enjoy limited deck building you'll have a great time

Keep in mind some stores are more competitive than others too. Probably finding a casual store would be a great way to get started.

Mrenda where are you located? Someone might be in your area and be able to recommend a store to go to

mehall posted:

With regards to learning draft:

Definitely check out your local stores and ask advice.

My primary local store typically runs 3 draft pods when a set is fairly new (it of course drops to 2 or even 1 as the set ages) and that covers all skill levels.

We typically get 1 or 2 people a month who have never drafted, with it maybe being every 6 months those people have never played at all before.
Do they lose their first draft? You betcha. But im the beginners pod they'll still have fun, typically taking a game or two.
Plus, the store staff will help you get familiar, or help build from your picks, and if they're too busy, they'll get a regular from a higher pod to give you a hand. Might not always be able to explain succinctly why the changes are better for your deck (or when they tell you never get excited over certain types of cards) but if you let them do it for you, your chances to win will go up and up week on week.

This is spot on.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
For learning to draft, sites like http://draftsim.com/ are helpful. You don't get to actually play the deck you draft, but going through a few mock drafts and deck builds will give you a feel for picking cards

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

My homegirl finally getting the respect she deserves. Totally going to make me some borderless Saffi and hope this deck actually works. Having Crypt Champion become the main colors and cost a mana less and be a better card and get hit by Company is all pretty nice.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Drafting is easily the most fun way to play MTG and not too hard to pick up. If you feel intimidated, watch a video or two on channelfireball of someone doing a draft. You don't need to watch the games, just the draft and deckbuilding portion. Marshall Sutcliffe is the host of limited resources, a draft-focused podcast - he might be a good one to watch.

If you remember these basics, you'll do fine:

2 colors. 23 spells, of which 13-18 are creatures. .

Only at most 5 cards that cost 5 or more. At most 3 cards that cost 6 or more. At most 1 card that costs 7 or more.

Obviously there's a lot more to draft than that, but that's all you need to know to start getting a feel for it!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Misunderstood post, kindly disregard.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Mrenda where are you located? Someone might be in your area and be able to recommend a store to go to

I'm based in Cork, Ireland. There is one store that does run events but it's not listed on the FNM finder. They've just moved premises so that might be it. I'll try dropping in on a Friday evening and seeing what's going on. I'll watch a few videos as well, and I played a bit more of Magic Duels on Steam. I guess it's just a jump in thing. There's not much choice here for stores or competitors. I'll see if any of my gaming friends are playing, but from what I remember they all stayed away from M:TG and the few that did play CCGs were into Legend of the Five Rings.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Mrenda posted:

I'll see if any of my gaming friends are playing, but from what I remember they all stayed away from M:TG and the few that did play CCGs were into Legend of the Five Rings.
Oh god, they sound like nerd hipsters. I've never met anyone who forswore MtG and still played other, more obscure cardgames who wasn't some degree of insufferable.

Yeah yeah pot meet kettle and all that

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

Drafting is easily the most fun way to play MTG and not too hard to pick up. If you feel intimidated, watch a video or two on channelfireball of someone doing a draft. You don't need to watch the games, just the draft and deckbuilding portion. Marshall Sutcliffe is the host of limited resources, a draft-focused podcast - he might be a good one to watch.

If you remember these basics, you'll do fine:

2 colors. 23 spells, of which 13-18 are creatures. .

Only at most 5 cards that cost 5 or more. At most 3 cards that cost 6 or more. At most 1 card that costs 7 or more.

Obviously there's a lot more to draft than that, but that's all you need to know to start getting a feel for it!

The biggest thing I learned from LR for both sealed and draft is to really emphasize 2 CMC permanents, preferably creatures. If you draft 8 playable 2 drops, you should probably play all of them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lawnie posted:

The biggest thing I learned from LR for both sealed and draft is to really emphasize 2 CMC permanents, preferably creatures. If you draft 8 playable 2 drops, you should probably play all of them.

This is heavily set dependent, and is more of a rule for formats that happen to be fast (like M15), where if you don't play a 2-drop you die to your opponent.

I'm not sure that's true for AER.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Oh god, they sound like nerd hipsters. I've never met anyone who forswore MtG and still played other, more obscure cardgames who wasn't some degree of insufferable.

Yeah yeah pot meet kettle and all that

Only one person I know swore of Magic in favour of other card games, and that was to do with a generational fault in local gamer power circles, with the competitive Magic players lording it over everyone younger than them. The Lot5Rs crew were generally more friendly. Most of my Magic playing friends were more likely to to rip up magic cards for the roach of a joint than they were to be competitive, and I still remember beating one guy's Angel of Mercy based deck that got to everyone, and him getting pissed off at first before giving kudos to a deck that could beat him. All of those guys have moved far away so I'm not in contact with them. There may be a few of the guys from my schooldays hanging around: I know of one person but he's deep into magic and travels a lot for it, he may be around if I turn up to the store.

Apart from that all my nerd friends maintained Magic was too much of a money sink, even though they all eventually fell to other money sinks like wargames and kickstarter.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mrenda posted:

Apart from that all my nerd friends maintained Magic was too much of a money sink,

Well this is true.

quote:

even though they all eventually fell to other money sinks like wargames and kickstarter.
Welp.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Was cleaning my room and found all my old pre-release cards, so I decided to line them up

Ink Eyes is from 2005!!! I can't believe I've been playing Magic so long.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

This is heavily set dependent, and is more of a rule for formats that happen to be fast (like M15), where if you don't play a 2-drop you die to your opponent.

I'm not sure that's true for AER.

Yeah, I haven't drafted AER yet, but it might not be the case for this particular format. I still think you should overemphasize 2 and 3 drops if you're new to drafting because a vanilla 2/2 is often going to be much better for your deck than another 6cmc fatty.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Oh god I can't stop brewing stupid Improvise decks

send help

Deck: Monoblue Investigate

//Lands
18 Island
4 Spire of Industry

//Spells
4 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
2 Confirm Suspicions
4 Engulf the Shore
3 Inspiring Statuary
4 Metallic Rebuke
4 Renegade Map
4 Servo Schematic
1 Tamiyo's Journal
4 Whir of Invention

//Creatures
4 Merchant's Dockhand
4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

//Sideboard
3 Disallow
2 Dispel
4 Mechanized Production
3 Negate
3 Sphinx of the Final Word

Display deck statistics

Needs more Tamiyo's Journal. Or a way to even sort of deal with decks that resolve creatures. But hey, I did get 15 clues in a game!

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 25, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mrenda: might be worth thinking about throwing together an EDH deck too, if your local stores are anything like mine the first question any newbie gets asked is "Do you have an EDH deck with you?"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Mrenda posted:

Legend of the Five Rings.

Man, I remember that game appearing in the old magic magazine that I would pick up when I was younger. I never played it, but it always looked interesting when I would read the articles on it. Thanks for reminding me that it existed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm sorry this is in your recommended list.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Well, at least he's not asking if he's jewish

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

jadebullet posted:

Man, I remember that game appearing in the old magic magazine that I would pick up when I was younger. I never played it, but it always looked interesting when I would read the articles on it. Thanks for reminding me that it existed.

L5R is still sorta going on? I loved how their major tournaments would affect the storyline and card creation even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

En Fuego posted:

L5R is still sorta going on? I loved how their major tournaments would affect the storyline and card creation even.

It's dead, but Fantasy Flight Games is bringing it back as a Living Card Game.

• Locked thread