Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
It's easy to be easygoing and jovial when you've outlived most of your enemies and there are few that remember a time before you were ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've never seen I, Clavdivs, does Brian Blessed shout "Quintilius Varus, give me back my legions!" at any point?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've never seen I, Clavdivs, does Brian Blessed shout "Quintilius Varus, give me back my legions!" at any point?

Even better!

https://youtu.be/f-ohKuKy4_s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's also the amazing scene where Augustus assembles all the dudes who have slept with Julia

"Aaah, only once! That's all!"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Specifically, portraying loose and folded clothing in statuary was a Greek innovation.

I thought portraying a religious figure at all was a Greek custom, and that before Alexander it was forbidden, like it still is today in Islam.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Never seen I, Claudius before and it feels like a sin to witness Brian Blessed without an enormous beard.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Fuschia tude posted:

I thought portraying a religious figure at all was a Greek custom, and that before Alexander it was forbidden, like it still is today in Islam.

It seems Buddhist art didn't represent the Buddha as a man, but it wasn't really "forbidden" but rather just not customary. It's not even really clear if statues became a thing because of Greek influence or as a local evolution that happened at the time the Greeks showed up.

More generally speaking, that's something that would vary a lot depending on the culture or sect within a religion (not to mention between religions). The thing about not portraying Muhammad in Islam wasn't followed all the time, either.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hargrimm posted:

Never seen I, Claudius before and it feels like a sin to witness Brian Blessed without an enormous beard.

stolen with the aquilae, I presume.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jerusalem posted:

There's also the amazing scene where Augustus assembles all the dudes who have slept with Julia

"Aaah, only once! That's all!"

This was copyright blocked in the US but I found something hilariously relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dvbX8imXnI

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm always down to watch Brian Blessed barely keeping it together. Nothing like watching a master work.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

Blessed's Blessed, but watch it for Derek Jacobi and Sian Phillips.

Oh and John Hurt.

Especially John Hurt.

He's Caligula

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
And Patrick Stewart with hair!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

They picked the right time to kill Caesar imo. Parthian/Persian campaigns were invariably a massively expensive boondoggle, Crassus and Antony both had enormous failed campaigns that didn't yield a scrap of land or gold at the cost of thousands of lives and all the baggage (and a number of eagles) just a few years on other side of Caesar's death. Even ignoring the problems of actually conquering the place, since if anyone could accomplish that Caesar probably had a good shot at it, Persian heartland was just too far away to effectively rule from Rome. Trajan and Septimius Severus both managed to conquer Ctesiphon but neither was able to hold it for very long. It cost money to hold it but didn't give money back because it couldn't be developed as a tax-paying province. I don't see how Caesar could have solved this problem.

Not to mention that if Caesar died in Parthia, with Lepidus out there with him at best slowly leading the Caesarian legions back over a 1-2 year period and at worst dead along with the commander, the succession crisis would be even worse in Rome.

Even in the best case scenario, you'd have an Antony vs the Senate civil war spark up at home with the lurking knowledge that Lepidus and the remnants of Caesar's army would be returning in a year or two.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

And Patrick Stewart with hair!

That's a wig, he was bald at 19.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Finished Rome, again. Always sad when I do, as I would rather have one more season of that show than ten of Game of Thrones (and I don't dislike GoT). Nearly everyone was perfectly cast, especially Mark Antony and his grief about Cleopatra was good.

My only regret is the second person they cast for Octavian. I just don't like their choice and wish they had kept the first guy.

Question: why is Marcus Antonius known as Mark or Marc instead of Marcus as everyone else named Marcus is? Is it a Shakespeare thing?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bean_shadow posted:

Finished Rome, again. Always sad when I do, as I would rather have one more season of that show than ten of Game of Thrones (and I don't dislike GoT). Nearly everyone was perfectly cast, especially Mark Antony and his grief about Cleopatra was good.

My only regret is the second person they cast for Octavian. I just don't like their choice and wish they had kept the first guy.

Question: why is Marcus Antonius known as Mark or Marc instead of Marcus as everyone else named Marcus is? Is it a Shakespeare thing?

Don't think it's Shakespeare's fault specifically, but might have to do with the fact that the names Marcus and Antonius both have modern English descendants which were in relatively common usage during the time when ancient history began to be translated into the vulgar. His major source for Julius Caesar was a 1579 translation of Plutarch's Lives which at a really quick glance uses Anglicized forms of some names, Horace rather than Horatius for example.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

That's a wig, he was bald at 19.

They didn't say it was his hair.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Why do Anglos mispronounce Latin? Seasar?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cheeser

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hogge Wild posted:

Actual Romans would be either think we were developmentally disabled or dangerous foreigners if they heard us pronouncing their names, and their suspicions would only be heightened by our horrible grimaces at how awful they and their city smelled.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 25, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My dislike for the wrong pronouncing of the names of Roman figures has a definite intersection with my dislike of people who think of Romans exclusively as toga-wearing, Zeus-worshipping, terra-cotta-house-dwelling, Latin-speaking, inhabitants of the era between the end of the monarchy and the last Punic war.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Actual Romans would be either think we were be developmentally disabled or dangerous foreigners if they heard us pronouncing their names, and their suspicions would only be heightened by our horrible grimaces at how awful they and their city smelled.

Yeah we mangle the gently caress out of a ton of Latin wording for some reason despite there being all these linguistic tombstones scattered around. Kaiser, for example.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Because Vulgar Latin speakers fronted /k/ before front vowels, eventually ending up as /s/ in French and in the variety of Spanish that was exported to the Americas, and going a step past that to /θ/ in Castilian.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Also the great vowel shift.

Most of the words that stayed in everyday use made it out of middle English though, and most the medical , religious and legal terms, but not all of them, because English also loving hates consistency.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Don't even get me started on the hard "g" at the start of "Genghis Khan"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

eszett engma posted:

Because Vulgar Latin speakers fronted /k/ before front vowels, eventually ending up as /s/ in French and in the variety of Spanish that was exported to the Americas, and going a step past that to /θ/ in Castilian.

That's not quite the story in Spanish. Early modern Castilian had an absurd number of sibilants, and the modern systems are "collapsed" versions of that earlier system: distinción maintains a sort of contrast between earlier apicoalveolar and dental-alveolar sibilants, while that contrast disappeared in seseo and ceceo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Because Cicero sounds way more bad rear end than "kee-kee-ro". :colbert:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If the Romans didn't want us to horribly mispronounce their names, maybe they shouldn't have spoken a dead language. :colbert:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dead language??

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah we mangle the gently caress out of a ton of Latin wording for some reason despite there being all these linguistic tombstones scattered around. Kaiser, for example.

And of course, Caesar is one of the people responsible for what we consider standard in classical Latin. Orthography and pronunciation were all over the place even then.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So wait, how are you supposed to pronounce Caesar?

In fallout new vegas there's a character named Caesar who pronounces it "khai- zarr", and so does everyone else iirc. I assumed it was a joke that the guy didn't know how the word was pronounced, and everyone was too scared of him to correct him, but now I don't know anything at all :psyduck:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ainsley McTree posted:

In fallout new vegas there's a character named Caesar who pronounces it "khai- zarr", and so does everyone else iirc. I assumed it was a joke that the guy didn't know how the word was pronounced, and everyone was too scared of him to correct him, but now I don't know anything at all :psyduck:

The Classical Latin is roughly "ka-eh-sar", yes, so the joke is on you. Although it would obviously be very silly to use that pronunciation in English.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

All Cs and Gs are hard in classical Latin. "ae" is pronounced like the English word "eye", words ending in -i would end in an "ee" sound. Alumni/alumnae have opposite pronunciations in Latin and English.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now I'm wondering if there are insufferable people in high-level ancient studies that insist on pronouncing things "correctly". Like english-speakers who call it "Barthelona"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now I'm wondering if there are insufferable people in high-level ancient studies that insist on pronouncing things "correctly". Like english-speakers who call it "Barthelona"

There are insufferable people everywhere, so yes.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Wasn't "u" pronounced "oo" instead of "u"? My only reference is poor memory from the appendices of Colleen McCullough books.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ainsley McTree posted:

Pronouncing things the way they were said back then would be pretty useful for people doing serious research on stuff like poetry and stuff like that though. You'd also need to be familiar with pronunciations to do things like figuring out what a misspelled or partially erased word might have been.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is of course very deliberate; the Legion is supposed to be the kind of people who go "well it's pronounced animè".

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'll plug the History of English Podcast which is very accessible and entertaining and explains almost everything about why we pronounce and spell things weirdly and inconsistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

glynnenstein posted:

I'll plug the History of English Podcast which is very accessible and entertaining and explains almost everything about why we pronounce and spell things weirdly and inconsistently.

He's currently going deep on Middle English vowel sounds and spelling conventions, if that sounds like it might be your jam.