Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Three Olives posted:

I could have sworn that Huawei said they were not releasing any more Wear watches.
I recall seeing a rumor saying that, but nothing firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Don't the better wear devices still only get like 3 days of battery life?

Right, but with Pebble gone into the ether, I doubt there's going to be a reasonable upgrade path with the same focuses from Fitbit any time soon. I'm basically looking to be hit with a decent looking Wear option for ~$200 to give myself an excuse, because I like the integration already. :shobon:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea, I'm hoping that seeing as Fitbit also bought vector that they will come with something good, but not exactly optimistic

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I could have sworn that Huawei said they were not releasing any more Wear watches.

There were several manufacturers who said they "had no plans at this time" or whatever back in 2016 when Google was futzing around with Wear 2.0 and it was clear it wouldn't be coming out until 2017. No doubt there will be a sudden and mysterious raft of hardware announcements right around the time of the Wear 2.0 final version release.

Incidentally for those who have been running the preview release of Wear 2.0, a new build was put out today.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has there been any info whether ZenWatch 3 has NFC capabilities? I know the 2100 chipset supports it but I'm wondering if the antennas are there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Has there been any info whether ZenWatch 3 has NFC capabilities? I know the 2100 chipset supports it but I'm wondering if the antennas are there.

I have it, and there is no NFC in the watch.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

That was "for the holidays":
https://www.cnet.com/news/as-apple-watch-series-2-samsung-gear-s3-debut-android-wear-hopefuls-lg-huawei-motorola-call-timeout/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The smaller Google watch:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/825158722632683520/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Rose gold and silver. No heartrate sensor, Qi charging (I'm guessing).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

That looks fine to me. I mean I don't want it but it's not aggressively bad. My wife says she'd wear it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Yeah, it's not bad although I might change my mind about it depending on the price point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wouldn't buy/wear that personally but it's not bad. Looks much better than the Apple Watch or Pebbles at least.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would change the band but other than that I like the looks of it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Reminds me of a timex military watch

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Android Police say that the Style will start at $249.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Reminds me of a timex military watch

Aside from the part between the lugs and bezels being filled in on the LG, I'd say it's a dead ringer. I wonder how much thicker the LG is, those Timex watches are a lot thinner in person than in pictures. Either way it's a classic look that isn't bad at all.

e: Looking at the comments on the AP article (I know, I know) everyone is making GBS threads on the fact that it doesn't have a heartrate sensor. Am I alone in thinking that the heartrate sensors on every AW watch have been so inaccurate that I'd prefer any future model to lack one? What's the point of having one if it's never right? Are these idiots just assuming that a new model would have a functional one instead of a broken one like every other watch or am I the idiot and this is indeed the killer app that smartwatches have to have? Looking around at the Americans I see, fitness tracking is not high on their wishlists but we all have our own bubbles...

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 29, 2017

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

LastInLine posted:

Aside from the part between the lugs and bezels being filled in on the LG, I'd say it's a dead ringer. I wonder how much thicker the LG is, those Timex watches are a lot thinner in person than in pictures. Either way it's a classic look that isn't bad at all.

e: Looking at the comments on the AP article (I know, I know) everyone is making GBS threads on the fact that it doesn't have a heartrate sensor. Am I alone in thinking that the heartrate sensors on every AW watch have been so inaccurate that I'd prefer any future model to lack one? What's the point of having one if it's never right? Are these idiots just assuming that a new model would have a functional one instead of a broken one like every other watch or am I the idiot and this is indeed the killer app that smartwatches have to have? Looking around at the Americans I see, fitness tracking is not high on their wishlists but we all have our own bubbles...

I'd rather the watch be cheaper than have the heart rate sensor, honestly. What I hope for as far as fitness goes is an accurate step counter; that's about all I want out of a watch as far as fitness goes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I work out regularly and have zero use for a watch heart rate monitor, and have no issues with the fact my ZW3 doesn't have one. It's not something I look for in a smartwatch so I don't think it'll affect it much.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Still no battery pack :effort:

I honestly don't think that exists. None of the ZW3 reviews I read featured it, only saying Asus would release it with the watch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm not sure if it's just confirmation bias but I could swear that my HWatch on AW2 has become significantly less stable since the "DP5" release the other day. It's rebooted randomly about a dozen times since then, yesterday I was at 10% battery when I was getting ready for bed, and today I was at 10% three hours ago. Usually I end the day in the 40-60% battery range. The battery usage thing is useless, showing three items accounting for a total of 12% of the consumption.

Any thoughts before I factory reset and reload?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

I'm not sure if it's just confirmation bias but I could swear that my HWatch on AW2 has become significantly less stable since the "DP5" release the other day. It's rebooted randomly about a dozen times since then, yesterday I was at 10% battery when I was getting ready for bed, and today I was at 10% three hours ago. Usually I end the day in the 40-60% battery range. The battery usage thing is useless, showing three items accounting for a total of 12% of the consumption.

Any thoughts before I factory reset and reload?

It's rebooted a dozen times and you aren't sure if it's less stable? How often was it rebooting before?

For comparsion's sake, my Moto 360/2 has never rebooted on its own in the year and a half I've had it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

It's rebooted a dozen times and you aren't sure if it's less stable? How often was it rebooting before?

For comparsion's sake, my Moto 360/2 has never rebooted on its own in the year and a half I've had it.

I've also been doing webinar training for the last two days so I've been more in a position to notice it rebooting. It boots so fast I honestly have no idea if this was a thing that was happening previously, it's just been in my line of sight all day.

I've noticed it reboot on its own maybe 20-30 times over the slightly over a year I've had it until this week. Discord messages in particular seem to be a cause, at least half the times before the last few days I can directly associate with a new notification from my LAN group's channel containing an emoji. Kik or Hangouts messages containing emoji don't seem to be an issue.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 2, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kind of worrisome that an app can cause the whole OS to topple over like that but it would explain it. Seems like you could easily test if that's the issue?

I also don't know the Huawei boots but if I'm remembering right the Moto vibrates like crazy on boot up to the point where I don't think I could miss it happening.

20 kernel panics in a year would be about 19 more than I think I'd tolerate. You're a more patient person than I'm capable of being. :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It vibrates strong for about a half second and then takes around 7 seconds to boot. If I'm wearing long sleeves it might take me a bit before I check my watch and I can't tell it apart from a notification coming in, since almost every crash I've noticed coincides with a notification anyways so there'll inevitably be one waiting for me when I look.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I had no idea notifications vibrated until this post. :aaaaa:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

I had no idea notifications vibrated until this post. :aaaaa:

Huh?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I didn't know that notifications on Wear vibrate if you have them vibrate or make a sound on your phone. I never have either enabled for any on my phone, so I've never felt my watch vibrate for anything other than its alarm.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'll just plug Light Flow real quick as the custom notifications give you the option of pushing them to your watch which is nice for apps that don't support AW .

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Looks like the embargo just dropped on Android Wear 2.0, the LG Watch Style and the LG Watch Sport; reviews are up at all the usual tech / Android blogs.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Neat. Android pay for wear.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/08/android-pay-for-android-wear-is-here-and-this-is-how-it-works/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

Looks like the embargo just dropped on Android Wear 2.0, the LG Watch Style and the LG Watch Sport; reviews are up at all the usual tech / Android blogs.

The Sport doesn't look as good as the Urbane 2 IMO. Like just a cheaper version of the same thing, not even thinner.

Sport

VS

Urbane 2

Still waiting for any Pay support in Canuckistan...

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 8, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

According to an official Google blog post, the current watches getting Android Wear 2.0 include: ASUS ZenWatch 2 & 3, Casio Smart Outdoor Watch, Casio PRO TREK Smart, Fossil Q Founder, Fossil Q Marshal, Fossil Q Wander, Huawei Watch, LG Watch R, LG Watch Urbane & 2nd Edition LTE, Michael Kors Access Smartwatches, Moto 360 2nd Gen, Moto 360 for Women, Moto 360 Sport, New Balance RunIQ, Nixon Mission, Polar M600 and TAG Heuer Connected.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't think Android Pay will ever come out in Canada at this rate

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I really like the Style for what it is, though a 240mAh battery is concerning.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Got as far as "non-replaceable band" in the Sport review before stopping.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
style looks meh but it'll grow on me

otherwise the reviews look iffy. i'll look at one in a store.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I would seriously consider buying a new AW watch just for Android Pay support.

While it sounds super lazy, being able to just wave my Apple Watch next to a compatible reader without having to pull my phone out is a feature I miss.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I'll need to try it for myself, but I can't see that using left and right swipes on the watchface to switch faces is a great idea. I haven't wanted to switch faces for months, and I'm sure that this will open up all the time, accidentally. But, maybe it'll be better than I expect.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

not even thinner.

Yikes.

Bottom is a Moto 360 Gen2 42mm, image stolen from Ars.

bull3964 posted:

Got as far as "non-replaceable band" in the Sport review before stopping.
That too. It's seemingly necessary for cellular, but that's one more good reason why I don't want cellular in my watch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

That too. It's seemingly necessary for cellular, but that's one more good reason why I don't want cellular in my watch.

Samsung managed to do it with a standard band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

wolrah posted:

Yikes.

Bottom is a Moto 360 Gen2 42mm, image stolen from Ars.

That thing is huuuuge and I have big manly wrists. The ZW3 is about as big as I'd go I think