Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"well, we got the up, left, a, and r1 buttons working, but we can't quite figure out the rest..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
"just have to tighten up the graphics on level 3"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress would a game developer sign up for that when they can right now just launch early access on Steam and get all the money immediately?

"You know what I'd really like is less money and someone to nag me."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
gamers are idiot children with too much disposable income, and zero impulse control or object permanence. but what this kickstarter presupposes is, what if there were a way for them to discern a good game from a bad one......BEFORE it came out?????

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
sensei, onegaishimasu!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

PostNouveau posted:

Why the gently caress would a game developer sign up for that when they can right now just launch early access on Steam and get all the money immediately?

"You know what I'd really like is less money and someone to nag me."

i asked them this exact question and here is their response http://imgur.com/a/rW4U0

my favorite bits are that they'll fully QA every release (even nightlies!) and FOR EXPOSURE

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

i asked them this exact question and here is their response http://imgur.com/a/rW4U0

my favorite bits are that they'll fully QA every release (even nightlies!) and FOR EXPOSURE
in-depth cert validation including nightlies is a hell of a deal

really want to see what they consider boilerplate cert guidelines for their ~sensei~ to validate against, that should be public riiiiight?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
well obviously they would just play the game and find the bugs and then tell the devs to fix the bugs before it can be released. don't you know how QA works you IDIOT??

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol, they're begging for money so they can try to get money from other schmucks who are begging for money and their selling point is "we're going to try to harass precious baby birds into updating on time then turn around and beg them for the money they don't have"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I want to see the line-item budget that includes "$2000 - consultant fees" right next to "$25 - midi controller" and "(torrent) - fruity loops 3" as the entirety of the music budget

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

why the gently caress are their quotes (Reddit posts) and charts 2+ years old?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theflyingexecutive posted:

i bet they were an indieanogo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingexecutive posted:

they quoted totalbiscuit

didn't he die of rear end cancer

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

L O FUKKEN L

https://twitter.com/superdupergc/status/823993098359345152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/FireHoseGames/status/823987447117860865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploded mummy posted:

they quoted totalbiscuit

didn't he die of rear end cancer

not yet

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They saved his life but he had to give up his rear end

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Synthbuttrange posted:

They saved his life but he had to give up his rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmOw-jplSMk

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I enjoy the choice of "kickstart a platform to promote, debug, distribute, market, direct production of, screen, endorse, and maintain amateur games that you have to still have to kickstart individually with only a slightly better guarantee of timeliness, quality, and release and also the people running it are not actually veterans of the games industry and have to rely on kickstarter because even lovely platforms won't hire cut-rate idea men who barely know what a Gantt chart is" vs "wait to buy the game when it comes out"

it's pretty amazing that gamers go for the equivalent of paying extra to go to a water park before they turn the water on and then are surprised when they get a wedgie strong enough to bisect them

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

that vessyl thing has inspired me

how about a sensor u put in your cars gas tank and it connects via bluetooth to your phone and tells u the exact quality of the gas in ur tank.

also the app lets u share ur gas rating and compete w/ other peoples gas rating to see who has the best gas in their car

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

how about a sensor u put in your cars gas tank and it connects via bluetooth to your phone and tells u the exact quality of the gas in ur tank.

also the app lets u share ur gas rating and compete w/ other peoples gas rating to see who has the best gas in their car

i think lets call it tankr

also plz dont steal idea

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i think lets call it tankr

also plz dont steal idea

ok, same, except it measures air quality of the gas you expel in ur car, called stankr

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
same but of the gas you personally expel, called postr

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Early Ninja status: jimmies rattled http://blog.earlyninja.com/post/156355277193/re-some-thoughts-and-advice-for-earlyninja

:siren: WITCH HUNT :siren:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
IT'S BAD KICKSTARTER CHRISTMAS https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fringerider/apocalypse-now-the-game

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

is that a pitch or a review i can't tell

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this probably isn't suited for the kickstarter thread but i don't want to interrupt the conversation in the tech bublé thread

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/tostitos-new-party-bag-knows-when-youve-been-drinking-and-will-even-call-you-uber-175727

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

this probably isn't suited for the kickstarter thread but i don't want to interrupt the conversation in the tech bublé thread

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/tostitos-new-party-bag-knows-when-youve-been-drinking-and-will-even-call-you-uber-175727

you'd think they could just cut out the middleman and put the uber code on the beers

or wait maybe you could just call a cab!

or plan on getting drunk because that's what you always do!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

if it will molecularly analyze the exact quantity & quality of the sugar people pour in as well then you have a deal

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

jfc what a shitshow

like on one hand people are overreacting over something very minor (a at best poorly thought out kickstarter idea by some nobodies) and it's tempest in a teapot time and that should be called out as stupid

on the other hand anyone piping up to say so is going to feel like clint eastwood in gran torino where that guy starts to thank him and he gets "shut your loving face, I wouldn't want to be your bro either!"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i like the knowledgable "so, the sensei is taking on the publisher-side producer's role?" question getting a much dumber answer "we're not publisher!!"

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

JawnV6 posted:

i like the knowledgable "so, the sensei is taking on the publisher-side producer's role?" question getting a much dumber answer "we're not publisher!!"

every response there: "uh, nuh-uh"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Look we just want people to hand us 15% in exchange for us (we prefer to be called by our correct title Sensei but the English rough approximation 'master' or 'boss' is ok but frowned upon) to spend our time:

- preening to customers on one hand, and
- bugging developers for status updates / giving the developers advice on their games on the other

Ideally though we just copy paste any comms & ETAs from devs totally unchanged, that's called 'transparency'

we recognize that a dev's biggest problems are:
- no good at relating to customers
- don't keep their promises
- not transparent
- don't have E X P O S U R E (we provide it, no we don't advertise you we just list you on our site for people to find)

and we aim to solve all that, plz pledge, is pre-approved

god bless, any criticism is against god :mad:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

their relevant experience is fuckin SEO too. I can't think of a single less applicable field of expertise

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
well hey they got people talking about their product so they must be good at that!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mister Sinewave posted:

jfc what a shitshow

like on one hand people are overreacting over something very minor (a at best poorly thought out kickstarter idea by some nobodies) and it's tempest in a teapot time and that should be called out as stupid

not seeing any overreactions except by the idiot seo garbage people who really believed they had a shot at mitm'ing the money flow in the bideo jame industry and have had their grand plans disrupted by their intended hosts saying "uh lol no I do not want a tapeworm tyvm"

and it's minor, but it's also not. these are the people whose livelihoods are on the line, a lot of them are not aaa types, and these sensei asshats have been lying in their campaign promotion by making it look as if many of these small fry have already signed up. were i in that sitch, I'd be loving pissed too.

even in the hypothetical where the campaign funds and then the biz dies on the vine because lol no game dev is going to sign up for that, they've still done harm: stolen money from the public, and specifically from segments of it who might otherwise have spent that money on a game. so I'm all for making GBS threads all over them

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Those are very good points.

I have to come clean, I really just wanted some yin words to make the gran torino yang part of my post work when I wrote that.

I got your back, I'll hold & you punch

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 26, 2017

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BobHoward posted:

even in the hypothetical where the campaign funds and then the biz dies on the vine because lol no game dev is going to sign up for that, they've still done harm: stolen money from the public, and specifically from segments of it who might otherwise have spent that money on a game. so I'm all for making GBS threads all over them

agreed. it would be a real tragedy if a company were to steal money away from video gamers. that would be the worst.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

jfc what a shitshow

on the other hand anyone piping up to say so is going to feel like clint eastwood in gran torino where that guy starts to thank him and he gets "shut your loving face, I wouldn't want to be your bro either!"

if it were a viable business model, they wouldn't need a kickstarter, their payment system would be integrated into steam, and they'd be polishing trophies of games they rescued and made profitable

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All this extra publicity got one additional backer in the last 36 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

agreed. it would be a real tragedy if a company were to steal money away from video gamers. that would be the worst.

well gently caress you got me there, going back to the star cit thread to od on top tier gamer fleecing (and bad posting)

• Locked thread