Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Well, that was a huge update. I'll work on assembling a list of the new planets in the core we've discovered if anybody wishes, along with leftover worlds in our quadrant we have yet to colonise. Sorry it took a while, but perhaps it should be clear why this update was a great deal of work.

E: Oh, hey, Libluini, I hope you enjoy Stars in Shadow. There's still some active improvement going on, but even back when it was half-finished in beta I enjoyed it quite a bit. Let me know in-thread how you like trying it out.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Senator Doug Davis's notes:

In upcoming votes:
  • Provide military aid to the Mrrshan, while keeping our best military techs under lock and key.
  • Expand the fleet slowly.
  • Aye to Paradise's warehouse, spaceports everywhere else.
  • Aye for the new frigate, and focus on anti-piracy.
  • Grab star charts as quickly as possible.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Devil take the Hindmost.

Lend our support to the Mrrshan and the Meklar, establish good relations with the Psilons but make contact with the Alkari an absolute priority. We need a better sense of the politics of the far quadrant before committing too much.

Slow and steady secures the galaxy. We do not compromise on continued colonial development, nor on necessary security measures.

I accede to Senator Davis' proposals for the Paradise Warehouse and increased Spaceport production.

Aye on a new Scout Frigate to replace losses.

Star charts are a priority, particularly concerning the Alkari and Darlok polities.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
A quick check indicates that we could get a non-aggression pact with the Mrrshan by offering them Astro Universities, and a full alliance offering them two more technologies, without waiting for them to ask us for the alliance. The FPQ is unwilling to talk non-aggression pact just yet- possibly just because we're no credible threat given the separation between the polities- while the Meklar Combine will agree to a NAP at a frankly ridiculous cost that we are not going to pay. We could get charts from the Mrrshan for either our own charts and 20 BC or just our own charts, depending on how close we make our relations; charts from the Combine or the FPQ would cost us a technology to teach them.

Concluding a Mrrshan alliance would let us coordinate directly with them to defend their territorial integrity, and should ensure they remain grateful to us for a long time to come. Of course, given longer contact and more trade agreements, further agreements with the Combine or FPQ might become possible (or at least less prohibitively silly to establish).

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 25, 2017

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

For our technological research, I'm going to vote Engineering. Sure, building planets is probably not worth it at this point, since there should be plenty of decent ones already there to settle on, but who cares, building planets is awesome.

For foreign relations, I am quite in favor of being friends! Friends are great! :3: The only issue is that the Mrrshan and Klackons are not friends and I don't think we can get them to be friends, so if we have to pick sides, I'm going to have to come down on the side of the Mrrshan, because they're already closer to being friends. I don't know about an alliance, though, since I think that will obligate us to declare war on the Klackons. But if we're going to do that anyway, may as well go all in, right?

The exception to this, of course, are the Darloks. gently caress those shifty assholes. They blew up one of our ships! No "hey turn around," not even a warning shot, they just swarmed it with five times its number and blew it up. How long before those paranoid bastards think we know something we don't and decide to make sure all of us stay quiet forever? I don't trust 'em. Hit them back first, I say! They've probably already got spies working in our turf. :tinfoil:

As for the military, slow expansion. We have other priorities, but we do need to keep pace with everybody else. We already saw what happens when one of the other empires sees someone they think they can kick around. Loyalty and friendship go out the window in light of the fact that they can kick our rear end and take our stuff. Yeah, it sucks to be all smiles while keeping a hand on our gun, but that's galactic diplomacy for you.

For the Paradise warehouse, I will vote no, since I am assuming it's not a question of "do it ever" but "do it now." I think we should get one eventually, but unless we're going to start throwing money at construction projects it's not worth it. For Sunrise, I say astro university, because our economy is strong enough that we can afford to wait on the money making structures, but more science = more better. Both New Babylon and Niflheim should get Robo Miners, because once they get their ability to build things ramped up, everything else will follow more quickly and easily.

For the new ship, build one and have it scout. We have sufficient military dominance that we don't need to worry about the errant mobile scrap heap with rockets and laser pointers crudely welded on, but knowing where more planets are so we can colonize them is nice. Or heck, we may find a place we want to take over for purely strategic reasoning. If nothing else, we might meet these "Alkari" the Psilons told us about and make new friends! :stoked:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
With regards to scientific research, I'd have to (ahaha) put my money into economic research, simply because having more money or stretching the spending power of what we have makes us more versatile in what we could do.

In terms of intergalactic politics, I say we seek an alliance with the Mrrshan, and hopefully conquer as many Klackon worlds as we can so that we can use the bugs as skilled labour introduce the benefits of individual thought and action to them. We should also keep things between us, the Meklar and the Darloks cool for now, though we should boost out military for the inevitable war with the Darloks. Trade with the Quanta should be intensified as much as possible, as we have much to learn from them one another.

In terms of fleet expansion, I say we expand our fleets slowly for now, at least until we can get some money production up; hopefully we'll be able to get the Mrrshan and the Meklar to pick up the slack for now when we go to war

Back to economic development- definitely yea on Paradise's geosynchronous warehouse, and spaceports for the other worlds.

Yea on the new frigate, that it may combat pirates. It should also serve as a useful asset (or at least, a speedbump) in case of another war.

Prioritize getting techs from the Psilons; our economy should make us the tech leaders in our half of the galaxy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nweismuller posted:

Well, that was a huge update. I'll work on assembling a list of the new planets in the core we've discovered if anybody wishes, along with leftover worlds in our quadrant we have yet to colonise. Sorry it took a while, but perhaps it should be clear why this update was a great deal of work.

E: Oh, hey, Libluini, I hope you enjoy Stars in Shadow. There's still some active improvement going on, but even back when it was half-finished in beta I enjoyed it quite a bit. Let me know in-thread how you like trying it out.

It's not bad, the cartoony stile reminds me of Sword of the Stars. Personally I find it a bit off-putting sometimes, but it's not a deal breaker. The ships look nice, at least! I tried out the Ortho-somethings (the ice bugs) and already ran into weird things like a human colony self-destructing, by first joining us and then rebelling shortly after. Now their government is gone and 1/3rd of their population, too. I didn't even do anything, they did this to themselves! (Typically Human, you could say. :v: )

The game feels like someone put Civilization and Sword of the Stars into a blender and set it to "purée". It's also refreshingly simple, most of the space 4x I've played have been the complete opposite. I think I'll keep playing it one and off again, especially after my more complex games start giving me headaches again.

Yeah, and I say we should ally ourselves to the Mrrshan while trying to keep the peace with the Meklar and Darlok.

I don't really have an opinion for the rest, so I vote for whatever makes the most sense.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Economics research though I will accede to the preferences of the council in prioritizing. I feel that it is better to otherwise continue to build up our industry. The boom of trade can help much for us to grow our industrial base.

I abstain on the matters of local economic priorities and leave those to the planetary governors to consider what is best for construction.

I also vote for Full Speed fleet construction. While we cannot guarantee that any of the species we have made contactw tih will engage in hostilties, we have gone from being in contact with but one species to many more. Several of them are at war and we are new on the stage of galactic geopolitics and the wider galactic community, and it is probable that our actions will be taken as choosing sides and thus are almost guaranteed to antagonize onr party or the other. As such a full strength fleet and expansion and upgrades as necessary should be done, particularly aswe have a high economic boost from trade with seeral of them. The time to prepare for the future is here while we slowly assimilate the Bulrathi and have generally favorable relations and an industrial surplus.

While hostilities are far from guaranteed, it is likely that contactw ith one species that is in a state of conflict will antagonize others, and in our pursuit of open borders and trade we will make multiple adversaries. So unless we choose to prioritize we are likely to have issues along in the coming decades. The time to build up in case is now, while we are able and we can afford it and not have to engage in a crash program later at the cost of society later.

As a very wise man from the past once said that even his enemies acknowledged was so overpowering a persona that death could only take him in his sleep, rather than when he was awake for he would have made a fight of it, we must be ready to speak softly, yet carry a big stick.

I vote For a frigate being assigned to anti pirate duties. It is likely that given our sudden rush of trading we will encounter more so best to tkae them out before they can be a threat to our tradelanes.

I vote in favor for the Trade for Star Charts with as many species as possible so long as the cost is not too high, and while I am fine with sharing charts of Humanity's territory, I would prefer not to trade research for it. Trade incenties are quite agreeable in turn hwoever.

On foreign policy I would advise the Pursuit of non aggression pacts as much as possible and the trade for as many technologies as possible that can be realistically attained and seem to be equivalent deals. We should not in turn trade higher functioned research for things lower unless what we can attain is of great benefit to humanity.

Also I would remind fellow Councilors that many of the geo-political entities of the galaxy are powers we are relatively new to and are otherwise more acclimated than ourselves with galactic politics, given previously our only extended contact with a race beyond our own stellar borders was the Bulrathi. We will learn the state of affairs slowly, but we are aware that at least two wars are going on among the species we are in contact with, and those species in turn take umbrage and hostility at /any/ sort of diplomatic exchange with species they are hostile to. Trade or interactions with one seem to come at the price of umbrage wtih the other. We don't want to get drawn into anything extended.

Also our long term plans should be limited. We're still at war, though the Bulrathi are losing it will take us decades, if not centuries to fully conquer and then in turn integrate thier population to the Republic and then modernize the worlds that we have occupied as in turn they will be our citizens as well and in the future generations of them will be under our protection the same as our own worlds and humanity.

I would urge our Councilors to in turn think long and hard about the potential for humanity to be drawn into another cnoflict, particularly one where we are just coming onto the galactic stage and the reprecussions for future generations to be at war the same way we have for the last decades. We should be able to protect ourselves but we should also try and avoid taking sides. We will defend ourselves and we will not be ambushed or caught helpless again, but we should also avoid moves that will draw us into conflict.

Particularly as I would in turn note to fellow Councilors for the Mrrshan, despite the friendliness and genteelty of the race, they seem to be losing the war if their homeworld is under occupation. If we ally ourselves with them or give them extended aid it would give us little but being drawn into a war with another major galactic power that has likely a far greater industrial, military, and technological base than what humanity has encountered so far, and could last for centuries. While the Mrrshans have done nothing to earn our ire other than defending thier own territory, which in turn we have respected, I will note the same of the Klackon. Do we want to be drawn into a greater war than any we have faced in defense of the side that is possibly losing, in turn bringing aggression upon another race that has done us no wrong beyond our prefence for the Mrrshan aesthetically?

The Darlok border should be guarded and I would prioritize non-aggression pacts with them and the Meklar so long as it does not come at a substantial cost. Both races seem aggressive so the sooner we can ensure safety of our borders means the sooner we have more diplomatic freedom that we do not have to worry on any steps we take with either power in turn leading to hostilities with the other. I would take non-aggression pacts wherever we could reasonably get them while continuing with our own military buildup, reasonable trade of technologies for whatever we can gain so long as the trades are not heavily unbalanced, and engage in trade with any who will take us. At the same time, note that the galaxy has gotten much bigger. We do not just have our own litle corner of it anymore, so we should take heed and watch our borders.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Capitalism, hooooo!
Economics research and facilities benefiting the same should be a priority for both research and colonial development.

Grant exploratory division their request for a new Frigate, but otherwise expand the fleet gradually.

We should improve relations, and trade star charts, with the Mrrshan, but a wait and see approach to the other alien races diplomatic actions is preferred.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Computing, more science more better.
Foreign policy, get a full alliance with the Mrrshan and generally butter up the Meklar and Psilons. Once we're at war with the Klackons, hand any Mrrshan planets we liberate back to the Queendom, but keep the Klackon ones.
All-in on warship construction, it's gonna be hard to intervene in foreign wars without plenty of firepower.
Warehouse on Paradise, university on Sunrise, robominers on New Babylon and Niflheim. After the warehouse, buy out warships on Paradise whenever the cost looks reasonable, but I expect you were gonna do that anyway.
Build a new frigate and bomb pirates before scouting, we don't desparately need to know what the far side of the galaxy looks like yet and pirate hunting is always profitable.
Go hog wild on tech and chart trading, and we'll probably keep relations good enough that it doesn't come back to bite us.
If you're planning to colonise more anytime soon, nab Primodius, Tantalus and Saltator as soon as possible, to secure our borders and keep anyone else away from Orion.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Computing technologies truly are the future, look no farther than our new friends the Meklar to see what wonders we can accomplish

The Meklar, Psilons, and Mrrshan seem to be our best chances for friendship and building a stable galactic order, and positive relations of one form or another should be pursued with them. A full alliance with the Mrrshan, however, seems like it would do nothing but involve us in another war on the other side of the galaxy with a large polity that we have no quarrel with. Their conflict with the Klackon isn't our problem, and we shouldn't be looking to change that unless the Klackon start committing atrocities.

The Darloks, however, present what I believe to be an existential threat to the Republic itself. Reminiscent of the worst parts of our own history, these paranoid authoritarians could do immense damage to us without firing a single shot in warning - look no further than the fate of the Pinaka for proof of their "shoot first" philosophy. If the supposedly peaceful Bulrathi could paralyze Earth, imagine what a secretive people who are actually competent at espionage and demonstrably hostile towards us could do. We need to destroy them, and there's no better time than now. The majority of our fleet is already on their borders finishing off the Bulrathi, and many Darlok resources are no doubt deployed to counter the Meklar rather than us. We should move now, both to secure our future safety and secure our friendship with the Meklar.

The fleet must be expanded slowly, we still only plan on fighting one front wars for the time being, and developing the Republic (especially our recently acquired Bulrathi territories) must still take priority. We arm ourselves to defend our prosperity, sacrificing plowshares for more swords negates the point of having a military to begin with.

Yea on the Paradise warehouse, being able to more quickly and efficiently centralize resources at our main shipyard will no doubt be extremely useful. Spaceport on Sunrise, robo-miners on the other two. Expanding our productivity is vital to the future prosperity and security of the Republic and its people.

Yea on a new frigate, put to work scouting. Mapping the remainder of the sector and especially contacting the mysterious "Alkari" is key to refining our understanding of xenopolitics and making future plans.

Trading technology and star charts with the Meklar should be pursued at all but the most obscene of costs, they seem like the kind of people who would appreciate a solid flow of information to cement our relationship. The Psilons, as well, seem like they would make good trading partners, though the need to butter them up is less pressing than hopping into bed with the Meklar. As to the Mrrshan, we should continue our policy of non-intervention in their war with the Klackon. While their start charts may be of some use, no trades should be made that will antagonize the Klackon (nor should we trade with the Klackon to the displeasure of the Mrrshan).

E: I propose a moratorium on trading military technology that may threaten us to races that we aren't 100% sure won't use it against us. Buying off someone with cannons 3 generations out of date is acceptable, but selling the principles and design of our power armor to the Darloks we may soon find ourselves invading seems... shortsighted.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 25, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Computing technology followed by engineering, in my book. We're quite prosperous for now, but the way to lead the future is through science, and more of it. If we're to maintain an edge in our quadrant, we need the most advanced technology. The Darlok's stealth capabilities clearly outstrip ours -- and that, plus their aggressive posturing and use of slang during diplomatic transmissions :argh: -- mean they're a threat, even if war has whittled them down.

Pursue economic ties with the Meklar; intelligence indicates that their price for a nonaggression pact is rather dear at the moment. No doubt they're concerned about having an unknown quantity at their back, but aren't terribly concerned about the Republic shifting to face them on war-footing while we're still mopping up the Bulrathi.

Pursue a NAP with the Mrrshan. Is there any way we could intervene in their dispute with the Klackon and negotiate a peace?

Slow fleet expansion seems wise at this time. If prudent, perhaps we might retrofit some of the older ships in the fleet.

Yea to Paradise warehouse. Construct spaceports on Niflheim and Babylon. Better cashflow can finance future terraforming efforts.

Nay on a new Hornigold. The last one wasn't robust enough to escape encounters with unfriendly forces -- let's not doom more capable explorers until we can create a faster, better armored class of frigate.

Technological trade is good, but let's try to minimize handing over militarized techs. Who knows where they'll end up after we pass them into alien hands?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
MD Design Bureau would like to propose a new fleet doctrine.

No new frigate size ships should be built.

The frigates served the Republic well, and the remaining ones are sufficient for pirate hunting as long as they're kept up to date, but they have proven themselves to be too vulnerable, time and time again, to be fit for any other duty.

Let us retool the destroyer class around support roles. The fleet as a whole is due a redesign at the end of the War on Feudalism, anyway.

e: Yes on councillor Crazycrydude's proposed moratorium on advanced combat technology trades

e2: The Darlok are clearly showing themselves to be a galactic axis of evil. We need to act against them before they act against us.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 25, 2017

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

my dad posted:

The fleet as a whole is due a redesign at the end of the War on Feudalism, anyway.

What, are you calling for helping the Klackons finish off the Mrrshan?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Friend Commuter posted:

What, are you calling for helping the Klackons finish off the Mrrshan?

What nonsense. I will not allow you to smear these courageous people! The Mrrshan are proving themselves a valiant bulwark against the bug hordes from the East. Within these Mrrshan lions beats a Freedom loving heart, open to free trade and the values promoted by the Human Republic. Do you not hear the call of the valiant Mrrhan guerillas fighting off the monstrous Hive Mind!?

Pah. I must now fully pledge myself to an alliance with the Mrrshan. I would not have been forced to do this without this vile provocation by Friend Commuter.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Libluini posted:

It's not bad, the cartoony stile reminds me of Sword of the Stars. Personally I find it a bit off-putting sometimes, but it's not a deal breaker. The ships look nice, at least! I tried out the Ortho-somethings (the ice bugs) and already ran into weird things like a human colony self-destructing, by first joining us and then rebelling shortly after. Now their government is gone and 1/3rd of their population, too. I didn't even do anything, they did this to themselves! (Typically Human, you could say. :v: )

Advice regarding splinter colonies and minor alien races: minor races are easy to integrate and splinters will willingly join you, but at the beginning of the day, you are Not Good at managing populations not of your species, and this will create discontent. Splinters that you've rescued will be grateful, which mitigates this, but it's still an issue. There are three technologies which you can get which help on this score.

First: Market Theory lets you build markets, and markets bolster the morale of populations on the planet, on top of their revenue effects. Get Market Theory to get your first real tool to manage morale.
Second: Alien Psychology dramatically cuts the morale penalty for being an alien overlord who is constantly tripping over its own feet in dealing with alien subjects. I think you may still need a market to entirely eliminate the chances of protests and revolts, but.
Third: Eventually Interspecies Law will make it so there's no morale penalty for alien subjects, although they still don't have the morale bonus of your native species.

If you DON'T get markets, instead buy tanks. Protestors aren't productive, but they'll only revolt if they estimate a good chance of success. Rescuing a human splinter and beefing up your loyalists by buying a couple units of tanks will put the damper on any efforts to overthrow your rule.

Alternately: be the Gremak, and don't give a crap that people you conquer hate you, because you can just enslave them as long as you have the force in place to keep the slaves in line.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Some more checking indicates that the demands for technology exchanges from Meklars and Psilons right now are overpriced. I don't think they're that interested in trading, and we will not be pursuing technology trades at this time. Instead, what they want for giving us their charts: the Meklar Combine wants information on establishing an espionage training facility, while the FPQ wants that and our own charts.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
nweismuller, could you illuminate me on how to develop planets in NuMOO. I gave it a try as the Psilons and while my research was incredible, trying to build all the enhancements on all my colonies left me in a huge income hole very quickly. By planet 4, I was unable to afford the maintenance on new buildings, so I felt compelled to scrap the lesser productive facilities to afford to build a new one. Do you basically have to build an economic-focused custom race to afford all the enhancements on every planet? Does this new game simply require planet specialization? I really miss the prior paradigm of building all the things everywhere so that your planets could pick up the slack for each other or all surge ship construction simultaneously should the need arise.

I played MOO and MOO2 for hundreds of hours and while I played MOO3 to a lesser extent that was mainly due to real-life time demands. I'm trying to get into this new incarnation, but I'm finding it difficult.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

Some more checking indicates that the demands for technology exchanges from Meklars and Psilons right now are overpriced. I don't think they're that interested in trading, and we will not be pursuing technology trades at this time. Instead, what they want for giving us their charts: the Meklar Combine wants information on establishing an espionage training facility, while the FPQ wants that and our own charts.

Not only no to both, but hell no, in my opinion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Not only no to both, but hell no, in my opinion.

Same; they deal with us as equals or inferiors, or not at all!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Peanut3141 posted:

nweismuller, could you illuminate me on how to develop planets in NuMOO. I gave it a try as the Psilons and while my research was incredible, trying to build all the enhancements on all my colonies left me in a huge income hole very quickly. By planet 4, I was unable to afford the maintenance on new buildings, so I felt compelled to scrap the lesser productive facilities to afford to build a new one. Do you basically have to build an economic-focused custom race to afford all the enhancements on every planet? Does this new game simply require planet specialization? I really miss the prior paradigm of building all the things everywhere so that your planets could pick up the slack for each other or all surge ship construction simultaneously should the need arise.

I played MOO and MOO2 for hundreds of hours and while I played MOO3 to a lesser extent that was mainly due to real-life time demands. I'm trying to get into this new incarnation, but I'm finding it difficult.

It's a matter of prioritisation, rate of construction, and trade treaties, really. You prioritise things that give you more bang for your buck right now and prioritise industry so it doesn't outstrip your ability to support things, you give your population time to grow and bolster your income, and you sign trade treaties that give you a large boost to annual income. If you're really having trouble, nudge taxes up, and accept a lower work rate in exchange for more money. Hopefully this is enough to get you pointed in the right direction.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

my dad posted:

bug hordes from the East.

The directional system I've been using in this LP is a radial system, treating the galaxy as a disk. Toward the edge of the disk is rimward, toward the center of the disk is coreward. Clockwise is driftward, counterclockwise spinward. The Klackons are thus clearly the 'spinward bug hordes'. :v:

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 25, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
When we bought the telepathy technology from Space Ghost, is there a cost to implement it or is it a passive bonus effective immediately? Because that sure sounds like it was a good pick to counter one of our main weaknesses.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

nweismuller posted:

The directional system I've been using in this LP is a radial system, treating the galaxy as a disk. Toward the edge of the disk is rimward, toward the center of the disk is coreward. Clockwise is driftward, counterclockwise spinward. The Klackons are thus clearly the 'spinward bug hordes'. :v:

Another way to think about this would be to picture an azmiuthal projection map of the Earth's Northern or Southern hemisphere:

(In this case northern hemisphere.)

Coreward is 'North', Rimward is 'South', Driftward is 'West', and Spinward is 'East'. If you pick a spot for the prime meridian, such as Earth, then you can even assign Latitude and Longitude coordinates.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Mzbundifund posted:

When we bought the telepathy technology from Space Ghost, is there a cost to implement it or is it a passive bonus effective immediately? Because that sure sounds like it was a good pick to counter one of our main weaknesses.

It's a passive bonus, but unfortunately one that helps our offensive spying rather than defensive security. It will help us gather some basic information more easily, at least.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Nevets posted:

Coreward is 'North', Rimward is 'South', Driftward is 'West', and Spinward is 'East'. If you pick a spot for the prime meridian, such as Earth, then you can even assign Latitude and Longitude coordinates.

I believe it is safe to assume we will use Sol as the basis of any coordinate system for spinward and driftward values.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Suddenly, the humans stumble upon a very active galactic community: two that might be considered friendly, and three that are rather terrifying. At least the khajiit Mrrshan seem agreeable.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

thetruegentleman posted:

Suddenly, the humans stumble upon a very active galactic community: two that might be considered friendly, and three that are rather terrifying. At least the khajiit Mrrshan seem agreeable.

That's an interesting breakdown. Who's the third terrifying species in your mind?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Given thoughts on foreign policy, I am opening a formal vote- please vote on this even if you offered foreign policy proposals before.

Mrrshan Policy
Getting an immediate non-aggression pact with the High Queendom of the Mrrshan would require gifting them Astro University; a full alliance without waiting for them to initiate would also require gifting Espionage Training Facility and Power Armor. A full alliance would allow us to immediately intervene to protect their territorial integrity, as soon as we can knock ships loose from the Bulrathi front; otherwise we may need to wait and delay longer before we can intervene, which may have bad effects for the Mrrshan. Given that the Mrrshan are the least advanced interstellar civilisation extant, bolstering their technology may help them to be a little more viable.
Please vote between status quo diplomacy, waiting for the Mrrshan to initiate closer relations, a non-agression pact, or a full alliance and commitment to helping preserve Mrrshan territorial integrity and freedom against the Klackon.

Darlok Policy
The Darlok Administration is clearly sinister and untrustworthy, but they are also weak, and the IIA is yet to gather much information on them. Policy towards the Darloks could remain 'hands-off' until further provocations, or be marked by a preparation for war.
Please vote between peace until further notice with the Darloks, or whether we should be actively preparing for launching a future war against them, even lacking further provocation.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Let's initiate a non-aggression pact with the Mrrshan. Giving them the means to research stronger defenses is alright in my book. In the longer term, I would like to pursue alliance with them, but I don't want to be pulled into a war with the Klackon while we've yet to finish off the Bulrathi resistance.

Likewise, let us have peace with the Darlok, but remain vigilant; further provocation from that quarter invites an aggressive response, so let us be prepared.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

For the Mrrshan, let's wait it out. I don't think they have the means or motive to start any poo poo with us, and we're not going to go poking at their borders, so I guess that's kind of a de facto non aggression pact. When they offer one, we should take it (or at least, when we can get one without trading away as much stuff), but I am always leery of forming alliances. You never know when two of your buddies will decide to throw down and then you have to pick sides and it's just a bad time all around.

For the Darlok, raze those fuckers to the ground now before they have a chance to steal all of our poo poo. Because if you leave them unchecked they will steal all of our poo poo, while doing their own poo poo, and then they have twice as much poo poo and that adds up to a whole pile of bullshit. loving Darloks.

MechaCrash fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 26, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Non-aggression to the cats, aggression to the shady bastards.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Voting Status Quo with the Mrrshan. Getting into a hot war while we're still dealing with the Bulrathi seems both unwise and unnecessarily aggressive. The Klackon haven't even done anyhing to us yet! And giving technology away for peace from a neighbor who isn't a threat seems wasteful. If and when we need to start considering them as a threat we can go for NAPs, but for right now we don't earn too much from getting one, especially considering we've already had one race break a truce when it was convenient for them (Bulrathi).

Likewise, peace, but prepare for the Darloks. If they start becoming aggressive we want to be able to shift to proper war footing quickly, but I don't think we should start attacking without reason on our part. (Why does everyone hate the Darloks anyway?)

On kind of a different note: How has agriculture and livestock developed or changed as more colonies come up? Are we still on beef and chicken, i.e. original Earth produce and meat dominating the market, or have we switched over to like, giant lizards and space carrots as the main food staples?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Status quo with the cat people, it's not our fight.

To make up for it, it's time for maximum over-aggression versus Space North Korea.

Also, I too am interested in who the third terrifying species is. Better not be the Meklar or I will fight you.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Death to the Darlok

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Y'all bloodthirsty, dang.

Lamia Domina
Apr 5, 2011
Act now against the Darlok. We all know where this is going. Don't wait for a repeat of the Bulrathi incident.

The plight of the Mrr'shan is deeply concerning, and absent the more immediate threat to our position I would advocate for intervention in the Klackon conflict, but a two-front war at this time could be dangerous. Given their tenuous position compared to ours, trading them some military tech may not pose an immediate threat to ourselves and would bolster their fight against the Klackon possibly long enough to keep it from our doors until we've reached a final solution to the Darlok problem.

Edit: A non-aggression pact with the Mrr'shan would enable us to safely cross their territory and engage in opportunistic action against Klackon ships without being officially dragged into their war, yes? Such a policy would also warrant consideration.

Lamia Domina fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
For what it's worth- I'm mildly surprised at the people who are reluctant to go for the non-aggression pact. Yes, it's irritating to trade away a technology for the agreement, but it helps ensure closer relations and it might help the Mrrshan to catch up, when they're currently badly behind in technology, with minimal risk to us.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Personally, I'm always paranoid that whatever I trade to a loser faction will quickly be traded around the entire galaxy, like mono. I'm a little surprised everyone's going knives out on the Darlok while expressing reluctance at entering a two-front war to support the Mrrshan. That's just confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Non aggression pack with the Mrrshan
They seem pretty friendly, although this might potentially only be while they are on the back foot I don't see any reason to gaurantee peace between us.

I don't agree we should actively interfere with their war with the Klackons before we actually can figure out why they are at war to begin with. Joining a hostile power would be very hard to defend ourselves against.

Cautious towards the darlocks

You guys are really loving aggressive when A. We haven't even finished our current war with the Bulrathi and B. The only actual provacative thing they've done is blown up an unaligned ship from their point of view. We should still try to get some form of apology and payment for the loss of our brave men and women however.

• Locked thread