Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah, I was going to reply that you need to learn to stop worrying and to love the civil war. I think my new favorite thing is to find a surly vassal and retract a vassalage. It gives a -60 relations with that vassal, and -5 with all other vassals. Of course they refuse and revolt and after I crush their pitiful little rebellion you get a +4 relations with all your other vassals (net -1), you can freely revoke a title from the rebellious vassal and keep it yourself or give it to someone else who will be eternally grateful, and then you can ransom the rebel off for mad loot, or let him rot in the oubliette and their heir won't give a poo poo.

In general, pruning your vassals through civil war is a much better and more profitable method of realm management than trying to keep them all content or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In fairness, that only holds true if your army isn't constantly busy with wars of conquest.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eric the Mauve posted:

In fairness, that only holds true if your army isn't constantly busy with wars of conquest.

Alternatively: be a merchant republic and do both.

Empower the council factions are the best possible thing as they tend to have powerful vassals on them that need knocked down a peg or two.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A fun method is to scatter them around by always going against de-jure borders when transferring minor vassals or giving out landed titles. That way all the dukes are angry with each other because they want some of the other guys holdings and all of them are scattered all over the place

e:
Is there any way to encourage vassals to feudalize?
I just went feudal and most of my still tribal vassals went along with me but the kings of Denmark and Sweden are holding out despite having properly upgraded holdings, thanks to me buying every single upgrade for them. Neither of them likes me that much so that might be the reason.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 25, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
1) How do I find Crusaders? For better or for worse (mostly for worse) mercenaries always show up at my capital. Crusaders show up ????

2) Is there a way to make text bigger in the game? I play on a small screen and am profoundly red/green colorblind. That makes a lot of things more difficult than it should. Especially because (for whatever reason) they shade of green they chose to use is basically grey to me. The way I perceive the world there just isn't a lot of contrast in the game when it comes to things that matter. Is there a good colorblind mod?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I inherited the kingdom of Norway as the king of Sicily. I hold 2 duchies in Sicily with pretty upgraded buildings and a hospital etc. I don't want to give up one of those to get a crappy duchy in Norway. However, I fear that if I give that Norse duchy to a vassal, he'll want the kingdom of Norway (even more). What are the downsides of keeping a kingdom title without having a single duchy in that kingdom?

Shbobdb posted:

1) How do I find Crusaders? For better or for worse (mostly for worse) mercenaries always show up at my capital. Crusaders show up ????
Not sure what you mean, but if you hire Crusader mercenaries (can't find against people of the same religion, they cost piety instead of money), they should also show up in your capital.

Can't help you with the colorblind mod, I have no idea. Maybe check the steam workshop?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

shut up blegum posted:

I inherited the kingdom of Norway as the king of Sicily. I hold 2 duchies in Sicily with pretty upgraded buildings and a hospital etc. I don't want to give up one of those to get a crappy duchy in Norway. However, I fear that if I give that Norse duchy to a vassal, he'll want the kingdom of Norway (even more). What are the downsides of keeping a kingdom title without having a single duchy in that kingdom?

Not sure what you mean, but if you hire Crusader mercenaries (can't find against people of the same religion, they cost piety instead of money), they should also show up in your capital.

Can't help you with the colorblind mod, I have no idea. Maybe check the steam workshop?

That helped. Thank you :)

The crusaders did show up at my capital. I'm having my first empire and I couldn't see the army behind the giant coat of arms.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh yeah, I forgot to add, but I seem to have a problem with my retinues. I had an army of around 5k, but suddenly my max retinue dropped to 4,5k or whatever. And ever since I seem to have lost my standing army?
Has this happened to someone else?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

shut up blegum posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, but I seem to have a problem with my retinues. I had an army of around 5k, but suddenly my max retinue dropped to 4,5k or whatever. And ever since I seem to have lost my standing army?
Has this happened to someone else?

Did you change culture? I'm not sure in this, 'cos I've never had it happen to me but I think culture-specific retinues might disband if you change culture while you have them. Or maybe they just don't reinforce anymore or I'm completely wrong.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My comment on the Karlings somehow dying out is a reflection on the real world not Crusader Kings, in the Old Gods or even Karl starts, its almost impossible for the Karlings to end up in the situation the dynasty is in in the 1066 start. Maybe thats more to do with cadet branches splitting off in real life since that really isn't a thing in CKII, but FFS the collective Karlings really dropped the ball in OTL. Again same goes for the Byzantines... how did they manage to collapse, the Byzantine Empire in contrast to history is almost always one of the most stable realms in the game.

I'm not damning or praising the games historical accuracy I just find stuff like that amusing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jack2142 posted:

My comment on the Karlings somehow dying out is a reflection on the real world not Crusader Kings, in the Old Gods or even Karl starts, its almost impossible for the Karlings to end up in the situation the dynasty is in in the 1066 start. Maybe thats more to do with cadet branches splitting off in real life since that really isn't a thing in CKII, but FFS the collective Karlings really dropped the ball in OTL. Again same goes for the Byzantines... how did they manage to collapse, the Byzantine Empire in contrast to history is almost always one of the most stable realms in the game.

I'm not damning or praising the games historical accuracy I just find stuff like that amusing.

I'm still new to the game but my amateur take on history is:

Karlings IRL had a lot more infighting (which game mechanics discourage) and (most importantly) the RNG of life rolled for few heirs where and when it counted. Rebellions and independence movements in CK2 just aren't set up to be real independent movements for a Karling era.

Byzantine Empire is more about how defending seems to work in the game. It's hard to take new territory. A good castle protects a whole realm, more or less. So a series of invasions don't force people to retreat to castles. Instead, a series of castles repels invasions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also the one thing to bear in mind about real life history vs. Crusader Kings 2 is that in real life you don't have an immortal godhead guiding dynasties over centuries. In real life a single bad king can spell the end of a dynastic line or even the concept of hereditary monarchy itself.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also the one thing to bear in mind about real life history vs. Crusader Kings 2 is that in real life you don't have an immortal godhead guiding dynasties over centuries. In real life a single bad king can spell the end of a dynastic line or even the concept of hereditary monarchy itself.

To be fair, a single bad ruler can do that in CK2 as well, it's just that the immortal guiding spirit tends to try and keep those people away from the throne in the first place.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ugh, it's quite annoying to realize that you declared war to press your vassal'ss ducal de jure claim on a county rather than your own kingdom de jure claim. Enjoy the free land I guess you jerk.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Crusader Kings also doesn't have historically accurate infant mortality for the time frame. A very common problem at the time was a family dying out because all their babies died. If memory serves that happened to the Karlings in the real world. At one point there just weren't any adult heirs.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Gobblecoque posted:

Ugh, it's quite annoying to realize that you declared war to press your vassal'ss ducal de jure claim on a county rather than your own kingdom de jure claim. Enjoy the free land I guess you jerk.

Meh, that's not too bad. Accidentally pressing the claim for someone who has no relation to your dynasty or isn't your vassal is worse.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is still a little annoying to give one of my dukes greater power through a misclick.

On another note, are there exceptions to the controlled realm inheritance law? Somehow a count in the HRE inherited one of the baronies in my capital county. Does it not apply to baronies or something?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is still a little annoying to give one of my dukes greater power through a misclick.

On another note, are there exceptions to the controlled realm inheritance law? Somehow a count in the HRE inherited one of the baronies in my capital county. Does it not apply to baronies or something?

CRI is a crown law and only applies to the de jure area of the kingdom/empire. Is your capital not part of your primary title?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gobblecoque posted:

it says in the loading screen choose your casus belli carefully. :v:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Various Meat Products posted:

CRI is a crown law and only applies to the de jure area of the kingdom/empire. Is your capital not part of your primary title?

Oh, this explains so much. Thanks for clearing this up, I've been wondering the same thing.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Shbobdb posted:

1) How do I find Crusaders?

I'm confused by the question. If you just want to find characters go to the character finder and search for "crusader." The search function will pull all the characters with that trait for you.

If, however, you're asking how you generate that trait, it's fairly straight forward. The pope has to call a crusade, and you need to accept.

You then need to actually participate in the crusade by sending an army. Any person who is commanding your troops when you step off the boat into the crusade's target (you can walk your army their too) will get the crusader trait.

If your ruler is personally commanding troops when this happens some minor event text will pop about arriving in the Holy Land, which I weird because this happens even if the target is Norway.

Edit

I know this is a huge hassle for a small thing, but were it me working on the game I'd separate this event into two events with two sets of text--one for Holy Land crusades and one for territorial crusades.

I'd then write a check to see if the crusade target contains a religious holy site or not, and use that check to pop the events text.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 25, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They mean Holy Orders.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

As hilarious of a mental image as it is, I do kinda wish you could get a chance at Craven for doing the walk off the boat, become a Crusader, and turn around on the boat. Or maybe just taking a spill and eating dirt as you attempt to get on the boat for a prestige hit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I am hella PEEVED posted:

As hilarious of a mental image as it is, I do kinda wish you could get a chance at Craven for doing the walk off the boat, become a Crusader, and turn around on the boat. Or maybe just taking a spill and eating dirt as you attempt to get on the boat for a prestige hit.

Or drowning in a 1 foot deep river.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ZombieLenin posted:

I know this is a huge hassle for a small thing, but were it me working on the game I'd separate this event into two events with two sets of text--one for Holy Land crusades and one for territorial crusades.

I'd then write a check to see if the crusade target contains a religious holy site or not, and use that check to pop the events text.
As in, "We are now embarking on a Crusade to reclaim the blessed land of (Jerusalem/Rome/Koln/Santiago/Kent) from the heathens" vs "We are now embarking on a Crusade to spread the light of Christendom to the heathens in Bork-Bork Land"? Yeah that would be pretty cool.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

You could do it with a battle counter. Any time a battle occurs in a crusade, add a hidden flag to the ruler in the battle. At the end of the crusade, anyone King+ who joined the crusade but doesn't have 1/5/whatever number in their flag would take a large prestige/piety hit.

Although thinking about it, it would still be very easy for the player to work around. Just throw a few dozen city/temple vassal levies at random enemy stacks and get your counter up while not risking anything meaningful.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

As long as Quick/Genius leaders get an option to be all like:

quote:

When Julius Caesar landed at Adrumetum in Africa, he tripped and fell on his face. This would have been considered a fatal omen by his army, but with admirable presence of mind he exclaimed, "Thus I take possession of thee, O Africa." When William the Conqueror leaped upon the shore at Bulverhythe, he fell on his face, and a great cry went forth that it was an ill omen; but the Duke exclaimed, "I have taken seisin of this land with both my hands."

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ZombieLenin posted:

Edit

Actually, it's now pretty easy to vary event text using script conditions (so you don't need to code two separate events simply to have different text), so this wouldn't be too huge a hassle really and would be a pretty small mod, assuming someone with the relevant script knowledge cared enough to do it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that a scenario like the 4th Crusade simply isn't possible in the games rules. In general, Catholics and Catholic heresies can't holy war against Ortodox and Othodox heresies, and vice versa. They are low risk for being a target of a Muslim Jihad, so unless the player builds a massive empire to challenge the Byzantines, the Empire is pretty free from major external threats. In the real world, crusading armies passing through were a real threat to the local rulers and contributed greatly to the fall of the Byzantines.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Building on what Simplex said; The Byzantines got crushed by the aftermath and the events of the crusades. Read about the sack of Constantinople. When a war goes badly, the losing army tends to, without command, take whatever they think will have made the trip worth their time. Since one of the best European land bridges to the Middle East was Constantinople (and one of the wealthiest cities in the world at the time) what were a bunch of broke peasants, knights and mercenaries going to do on their way home? Steal everything they could. I'd like to see that represented in the game at some point. Defeated armies going rogue, potentially killing their generals and commanders, pushing the "loot" button and going at it before disbanding.

For those of you who read/watch the Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire series, think about it like the Brotherhood without Banners in the later series, or the mutiny after the Fist of the First Men. All generally good people and armies at their breaking point, trying to survive after being absolutely crushed. That's what happened to the Byzantine Empire. I think I remember reading about how when Constantinople was finally conquered, there were 50,000 turkish soldiers at the gates, and only 50,000 people within the walls. Their walls were obsolete by the bombards they'd made, not to mention the emperor himself died during the last battle. Really it was time that got the Byzantines. The Ottomans weren't a middle-ages empire. They were part of the larger, newer rennaisance-imperial empires like you see in games like EU4. I don't actually know that CKII has the resources or complexity to properly represent the advantages that the Ottomans had on the Byzantines at the time. I should try that 1400s start date as either the Byzantines or Rum. It looks interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What are you talking about the war went extremely well for the crusaders. They captured all the targets they actually attacked.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Yeah, I was gonna say; the Fourth Crusade never actually went to Palestine. It spiralled out of control due to greed and comically inept intrigue without ever leaving Byzantine territory.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Sin of Onan posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say; the Fourth Crusade never actually went to Palestine. It spiralled out of control due to greed and comically inept intrigue without ever leaving Byzantine territory.

The goal of the crusade was Egypt actually.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

CharlestheHammer posted:

The goal of the crusade was Egypt actually.

I thought the ultimate goal was still Jerusalem, but the plan was to invade through Egypt?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

As I understand it, the plan was to sail to the Holy Land, (debarking in Egypt possibly?) on boats provided by the Venetians. When the Crusading armies got to Venice, they couldn't pay for the boats, so the Doge said, "hey I got an idea how we can make some money to pay for this," and hijacked the entire expedition to Constantinople.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Simplex posted:

As I understand it, the plan was to sail to the Holy Land, (debarking in Egypt possibly?) on boats provided by the Venetians. When the Crusading armies got to Venice, they couldn't pay for the boats, so the Doge said, "hey I got an idea how we can make some money to pay for this," and hijacked the entire expedition to Constantinople.

It was great because the Pope's idea behind the Crusade was specifically to impress and make friends with the Byzantines, but he ordered the boats from the Doge, who hated the Byzantines, and then didn't pay him. So the Doge was left sitting there with a huge armada of boats, a burning hatred for the Greeks and an enormous army of crusaders, and the Pope was somehow extremely surprised by the sequence of events that followed.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
as the byzantines, should i be using pikemen or cataphracts in my retinues?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Simplex posted:

Not really, they actually sacked a catholic city Zama, ran into a pretender to the Roman throne, and decided they would help make him emperor if he would pay them.

Turns out he couldn't as he greatly overestimated the Roman treasury. So they took his empire as payment.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm not sure if I really understand raiding. I've started Irish tribals in Old Gods start with the intent of going Merchant Republics, I raise my dudes and put them on raider but it seems like raiding my neighbors is literally not even producing enough gold to justify the expense of raising the raiders in the first place, let alone making enough gold to further my goals. Am I missing something about what makes raiding good, or how to use it? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not sure if I really understand raiding. I've started Irish tribals in Old Gods start with the intent of going Merchant Republics, I raise my dudes and put them on raider but it seems like raiding my neighbors is literally not even producing enough gold to justify the expense of raising the raiders in the first place, let alone making enough gold to further my goals. Am I missing something about what makes raiding good, or how to use it? :shrug:

Are you sieging the holdings? You get the big, major payouts from winning the siege. Tribes are also basically valueless; in Ireland you want to be burning down the temples. If all you're raiding is tribes then yes it'll barely be worth it a lot of the time.

• Locked thread