Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I don't spend enough time thinking before posting to reach CI :smith:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Risky Bisquick posted:

Unlikely, and I don't spend enough time thinking before posting

Fixed your post for you.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

The only justice that can be obtained is this world is from cold-clocking Nazis.

I am 110% behind this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I am 110% behind this.

gently caress 'em up, buttercup.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

The MyDemocracy results are in and they sure don't mean anything!!!

https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/e...t-platform.html

quote:

4.4.1 Accountability

The findings from MyDemocracy.ca reflect a tension in perspectives on accountability. In general, Canadians express a clear preference for a cooperative Parliament where parties work together to develop policy and share accountability for policy outcomes—so long as it remains clear who is ultimately accountable.

As Figure 3.1.1 demonstrates, 62 per cent of Canadians either somewhat or strongly agree that governments should have to negotiate policy decisions with other parties in Parliament, even if the result is that there is less clarity as to which party or parties are responsible for the resulting policy. This finding is complemented by the results in Figure 3.1.3, which shows that 70 per cent of Canadians prefer that several parties share accountability as opposed to one party being solely accountable for policy outcomes.

Support for shared accountability appears, however, to hinge on assurances that accountability can be duly assigned to the responsible party or parties. As indicated in Figure 3.1.2, 53 per cent of Canadians somewhat or strongly agree that it should always be clear which party is accountable for decisions made by government, even if this means that decisions are only made by one party.
4.4.2 Ballot detail

The findings with respect to ballot detail indicate that Canadians are receptive to the prospect of being able express their preferences on the ballot with greater specificity, but not if this makes the ballot difficult to understand.

As demonstrated in Figure 3.2.3, Canadians generally exhibit a slight preference for a simpler ballot as opposed to a more complex one, even if a more complex ballot provides a means for citizens to express their preferences with greater specificity. Figure 3.2 indicates that the distribution of opinion on this dimension is bimodal, which suggests a polarization of views with respect to this issue.

The polarization of opinion on ballot detail is most clearly expressed in Figure 3.2.1, which shows that 49 per cent of Canadians somewhat or strongly agree that a ballot should be easy to understand, even if it means voters have fewer options to express their preferences, whereas 35 per cent somewhat or strongly disagree. However, when the trade-off is reframed from complexity of the ballot to immediacy of the election results, the preference for greater specificity on the ballot increases. As Figure 3.2.2 demonstrates, 62 per cent of Canadians agree that they should be able to express multiple preferences on the ballot, even if this means that it takes longer to count the ballots and announce the election result.

We asked some lovely loaded questions and you won't believe what Canadians answered!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

really makes u think
https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/824051111439060994

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/two-high-on-life-members-given-jail-time-1.3950447

quote:

Two members of the Vancouver-based 'High on Life' crew — who posted videos and photographs on social media last year of their tour of environmental disrespect through various U.S. national parks — will now spend a week in jail and have to pay stiff fines for their actions.

When I first saw pictures of these loving dipshits I thought, these motherfuckers are probably from Vancouver.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/two-high-on-life-members-given-jail-time-1.3950447

When I first saw pictures of these loving dipshits I thought, these motherfuckers are probably from Vancouver.

Are they realtors?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Maybe a goon political party is the answer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Duggler posted:

Maybe a goon political party is the answer

You don't preview your posts, do you?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bad opinions about law/internet voting aside

Trump is going to executive order immigration from some EMEA countries :monocle: If you're Muslim or look brown, getting through USCBP is going to become p hard/impossible.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

The Federal Court has rejected a lawsuit that sought to block $15-billion in exports of weaponized armoured vehicles to Saudi Arabia, a pariah on human rights, saying Canada’s foreign minister has broad authority to approve such shipments and that a judge cannot rule on the morality of the exports.

“The role of the court is not to pass moral judgments on the minister’s decision to issue the export permits but only to make sure of the legality of such a decision,” Justice Danièle Tremblay-Lamer wrote in a ruling released Tuesday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/court-rejects-lawsuit-to-block-15-billion-arms-deal-with-saudi-arabia/article33715211/

Sanctity of contracts: protected

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol

quote:

3.2.2 Sampling

Invitations to participate in MyDemocracy.ca were mailed to every household in Canada, which presumably had the effect of reducing the sampling error associated with common sampling techniques.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

not lol (like, she'll land on her feet, but how do you lay off kady)
https://twitter.com/padams29/status/824077889851289602

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
mass mailing flyers: a foolproof polling practice

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Imagine being an academic and this much of a partisan hack simultaneously:
https://twitter.com/pmlagasse/status/824021903266430979
https://twitter.com/pmlagasse/status/824030693806247937
https://twitter.com/pmlagasse/status/824086123882446848

The report deals in methodological nihilism ("no non-mandatory survey in Canada is fully representative") and slices words extremely thinly ("Accordingly, albeit mindful of the caveats about representativeness expressed herein, the report findings refer to weighted responses as being reflective of those of Canadians at large."), but sure, let's just pretend this thing was never an attempt at gauging public opinion and you're silly if you thought it was.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What an idiot. Any academic should be able to tell you garbage-in-garbage-out and collection and analysis of data from a poorly conceived and designed experiment is a waste of time. You don't interpret data from a lovely experiment because even if your findings are internally consistent to the data set it's not going to be applicable or relevant outside of it.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Maybe instead of mailing out cards to tell people to take an online poll, they could just mail out a card with a poll on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pinterest Mom posted:

Imagine being an academic and this much of a partisan hack simultaneously

Oh, friend, those are in no way contradictory.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Why does that report keep talking about making it clear which party is responsible for legislation? Do people feel strongly about this? If it really concerns you, do your loving research.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Why does that report keep talking about making it clear which party is responsible for legislation? Do people feel strongly about this? If it really concerns you, do your loving research.

Because if you have proportional representation and coalition governments form then it may be unclear who's actually proposing and passing bills, and therefore which coalition partner to hold accountable in the next election. If Canadians want to know who's responsible for legislation, that clearly means they don't want PR. Case closed!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

I do! If you have too many veto points in a democracy it becomes very hard for voters to pin down who is responsible for decisions and apportion blame/plaudits. It's why, say, the Republicans can block all government action for five years and Obama gets blamed for gridlock, and why an empowered Senate in Canada could be dangerous. I'm very fond of there being a clear cause and effect relationship between one's vote and policy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What about all those situations where the party in power, be it liberal or conservative, table the exact same bill as the last government word for word like all of those copyright bills that came up?

Can they apply blame specifically to the industry representative that wrote the bill?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

not lol (like, she'll land on her feet, but how do you lay off kady)
https://twitter.com/padams29/status/824077889851289602

Boo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

I do! If you have too many veto points in a democracy it becomes very hard for voters to pin down who is responsible for decisions and apportion blame/plaudits. It's why, say, the Republicans can block all government action for five years and Obama gets blamed for gridlock, and why an empowered Senate in Canada could be dangerous. I'm very fond of there being a clear cause and effect relationship between one's vote and policy.

We certainly dont get that under FPTP. And I cant remember for sure, but it was you that had the huge boner for the ranked ballot the Trudeau government wanted so badly but failed to get support for right? That system offers no fixes to the issue and its clear FPTP cant stay because there is no relationship at all between ones vote and policy due to strategic voting.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

She's too respected not to get picked up somewhere.

Maclean's probably.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

We certainly dont get that under FPTP. And I cant remember for sure, but it was you that had the huge boner for the ranked ballot the Trudeau government wanted so badly but failed to get support for right? That system offers no fixes to the issue and its clear FPTP cant stay because there is no relationship at all between ones vote and policy due to strategic voting.

We absolutely get that under FPTP. You like this government? You get to vote Liberal at the next election. You don't? There are two alternatives on offer. Only one party has power right now, so it's very clear who to blame or reward.

And no you're thinking of not me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Thank you for giving the US Right a trial run environmental science gagging scheme. Now we're going to kill everyone with it :suicide101:

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
We also gave you the trial run campaign against facts style via Rob Ford. You're welcome.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

American children of immigrants are still the same kind of citizen as the seventh-generation born-heres, right?

C'mon America step up your game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

American children of immigrants are still the same kind of citizen as the seventh-generation born-heres, right?

For now. One of the things on Trump's to-do list is to get rid of birthright citizenship.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

again, this wasn't c51, and that part of c24 was repealed is currently in committee but going to be repealed

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 25, 2017

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

apatheticman posted:

She's too respected not to get picked up somewhere.

Maclean's probably.

Maclean's again? I'd rather her go back to CBC if she's going back to old employers. She's a treasure.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jordan7hm posted:

again, this wasn't c51, and that part of c24 was repealed is currently in committee but going to be repealed

again, this was passed into law by a sitting Canadian government because they thought it was a good idea and we're right to bitch about it until it burns in flames

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

again, this was passed into law by a sitting Canadian government because they thought it was a good idea and we're right to bitch about it until it burns in flames

But who do we apportion blame to for it? The old PM who passed it or the new PM who voted for it? Clearly we need to maintain an electoral system that allows us to so clearly see responsibility.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Duck Rodgers posted:

But who do we apportion blame to for it? The old PM who passed it or the new PM who voted for it? Clearly we need to maintain an electoral system that allows us to so clearly see responsibility.

the Liberals voted against it

e: there's enough bad stuff they've done that we don't need to start distorting facts. c51 and c24 are both bad, but they are nonetheless different, and mixing them up doesn't serve anyone's interests

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

the Liberals voted against it

e: there's enough bad stuff they've done that we don't need to start distorting facts. c51 and c24 are both bad, but they are nonetheless different, and mixing them up doesn't serve anyone's interests

C-51
https://openparliament.ca/votes/41-2/395/
Trudeau: YES

C-24
https://openparliament.ca/votes/41-2/210/
Trudeau: Didn't VOTE

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I thought they had deported people under C-24 in 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, he voted for C-51. No, he didn't vote for C-24. Also every Liberal who attended voted against it. He did vote to amend the citizenship clause.

Trudeau's voting record was not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought they had deported people under C-24 in 2016

They've enforced the part of the bill that allows them to strip citizenship due to misrepresentation during the immigration process.