Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Um, yes. I was (am?) an SDE designer and consultant for years. What do you want yo know, and is your Staff account flagged as a sysadmin in Permissions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

so an email came in,

was a job prospect, network admin for a local financial firm. So i took a look at their website, it was glorious.

http://www.stjamesfinancialservices.com/

still going to toss a resume in, they are offering fairly decent pay.

Reminds me of my other favorite website:

http://starfox.about.com.msnbc.org.edu.taft.whitehouse.gov.melon.grapefruit.heliohost.org/

:allears:

e: Also, anyone got any good sites to recommend for learning to properly plan, setup and manage Sharepoint Online. Goddamn there are a million options available in this thing for sites and pages and users, and I'd prefer we set it up right the first time so we're not getting a thousand tickets a day about not being able to see or open or upload documents based on permissions.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 25, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

Very easily?

All modern UPNs will intercept HTTPS traffic.

I need to brush up on my knowledge.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

DigitalMocking posted:

Very easily?

All modern UPNs will intercept HTTPS traffic.

Pfft, obviously you implement policy to disallow this sorta practice. Hell, how am I gonna teach my users to not get hacked if I MITM them. Not to mention that it would be illegal here to even do that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Pfft, obviously you implement policy to disallow this sorta practice. Hell, how am I gonna teach my users to not get hacked if I MITM them. Not to mention that it would be illegal here to even do that.

It's probably legal if you have informed consent from your users, i.e. you explain it to them and have them sign a form. That's how it works in most European countries anyway.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

spankmeister posted:

It's probably legal if you have informed consent from your users, i.e. you explain it to them and have them sign a form. That's how it works in most European countries anyway.

Nah, you can't put cameras infront of a toilet either to see who takes long toilet breaks, regardless of employees 'agreeing' to it. Here anyway.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Nah, you can't put cameras infront of a toilet either to see who takes long toilet breaks, regardless of employees 'agreeing' to it. Here anyway.

Umm. TLS MitM is something else entirely from that. Nice way to move the goal posts lol.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

spankmeister posted:

Umm. TLS MitM is something else entirely from that. Nice way to move the goal posts lol.

It is a way to spy on employees and micromanage them. It's a tech solution to management problems. Some managers choose to write down when their employees go to the bathroom and then berate them, others choose to look up their web access logs and berate them for looking at facebook SA too long.
The only difference is the fact that bathrooms are something that has been decided in courts millions of times and private internet access isn't. Both are detrimental to efficiency and employee comfort.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

It is a way to spy on employees and micromanage them. It's a tech solution to management problems. Some managers choose to write down when their employees go to the bathroom and then berate them, others choose to look up their web access logs and berate them for looking at facebook SA too long.
The only difference is the fact that bathrooms are something that has been decided in courts millions of times and private internet access isn't. Both are detrimental to efficiency and employee comfort.

Yeah you could look at it like that. Here it's allowed for security and continuity of the network, if the employee agrees. So not for micromanaging your workers, but for detecting an attacker exfiltrating data or whatever.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

spankmeister posted:

Yeah you could look at it like that. Here it's allowed for security and continuity of the network, if the employee agrees. So not for micromanaging your workers, but for detecting an attacker exfiltrating data or whatever.

I know that is a valid approach, but I'd much rather have the TLS go client > server all the way instead of breaking the chain. Also, what do you do with HSTS sites?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

I know that is a valid approach, but I'd much rather have the TLS go client > server all the way instead of breaking the chain. Also, what do you do with HSTS sites?

HSTS should work just fine. HKPK wouldn't work anymore though. Neither would preloading.

To clarify, I'm not advocating doing tls mitm, just that it can be a valid, legal tool.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

spankmeister posted:

HSTS should work just fine. HKPK wouldn't work anymore though. Neither would preloading.

To clarify, I'm not advocating doing tls mitm, just that it can be a valid, legal tool.

I'm not claiming it's illegal everywhere either, I just know it is here because of strict laws in regards to privacy and data protection.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A job offer came in.

Apparently, my fame precedes me, as some big wig with the county I live in contacted me to specifically offer me a director position with the county.

Could not tell me what the job consisted of.
Could not tell me what benefits are offered.
COULD tell me that after a few years I couldwork up to the salary I currently make.

It sounds like an absolute dream.

Also, like clockwork, the GM from the television station called to inform me that, if I wanted, they would consider hiring me back for my old position, for less than I was making before.

Really, all of these dream offers coming in :jerkbag:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

larchesdanrew posted:

A job offer came in.

Apparently, my fame precedes me, as some big wig with the county I live in contacted me to specifically offer me a director position with the county.

COULD tell me that after a few years I couldwork up to the salary I currently make.

Also, like clockwork, the GM from the television station called to inform me that, if I wanted, they would consider hiring me back for my old position, for less than I was making before.

I, what? Just. WHAT?!?!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What the gently caress is wrong with people

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

Tell him to just be a big boy and outright say gently caress you instead of being passive-aggressive about it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tell him to just be a big boy and outright say gently caress you instead of being passive-aggressive about it.

That would require the GM be able to outright confront people, and as we've seen, that just plain isn't in the cards.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I'm thinking the GM has a knife on his throat but is trying to save face by hiring Larches back at a reduced rate.

At least that's what I'd like to think.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

larchesdanrew posted:

A job offer came in.

I seriously can't comprehend how someone could offer that with a straight face. How did he phrase it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

So not for micromanaging your workers, but for detecting an attacker exfiltrating data or whatever.
Brb, going to the bathroom to exfiltrate some data from the cloud.

larchesdanrew posted:

Reply "If you wanted to insult me, a simple "gently caress you" would have sufficed."

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

larchesdanrew posted:

Delicious. It's always nice to get conformation that leaving was incredibly correct.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Marketing: we want our web company to migrate our website to AWS
IT: OK cool, are you going to load balance? Autoscale? What about the 10 different systems on prem that the current website connects to
Marketing: we'll just move it and you can fix what's broken

:suicide:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

IT: OK cool, are you going to load balance? Autoscale? What about the 10 different systems on prem that the current website connects to

Yeah; there's a lot of that going on in the industry.

:fap: Guys we have to move to the CLOUD. Something something webinar its better

:negative: Ok; sure. What's your driving reason? Cost savings? Rapid scalability? CapEx/OpEx? DR advantages? What are we prioritizing in the migration.

:fap: Uhhh; we'll figure that out after we move

:negative: But our approach may change significantly because we have applications that were developed in-house without a cloud deployment in mind. The type of re-engineering that needs to be done will depend on our actual goal and requirements

:fap: We'll figure that out later

My title is officially 'Cloud Architect' so I'm far from resistant to change / implementation, but the above re-enactment is something I've run into several times over now. Yes, I can hand-hold through that conversation but it's infuriating at times

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 25, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Um, yes. I was (am?) an SDE designer and consultant for years. What do you want yo know, and is your Staff account flagged as a sysadmin in Permissions?

Oh sweet. I don't know if I'm flagged as sysadmin for this. Best way to check? And the two things right now are I can't have more than 3 queries open, the fourth just says you can't have more than 3 open then fails, but actually runs the query first. Is there a way to have a new query just open over an existing one? And if I use tab completion, it works fine, but auto complete in a field with auto filled connected fields won't fill the connected ones. Since I have a few frequent flyers for tickets already, that's unfortunate. Any way to address that?

ETA: I need to change some userAccountControl attribute in AD for 15 users. Can I make powershell do this? If so, how? This'll be my first use of powershell!

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 25, 2017

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Collateral Damage posted:

Brb, going to the bathroom to exfiltrate some data from the cloud.

On behalf of those of us running the Cloud 2 Butt extension, I thank you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

slartibartfast posted:

On behalf of those of us running the Cloud 2 Butt extension, I thank you.

Ha, I had to remove that extension when it was altering some text that I needed to copy-paste.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Butt Architect

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Let me preface this by saying that I know this is a massive fuckup on my part, so let's keep this a judgement free zone.

So, a blocked website has snowballed into reviving an apparently dead Windows Update server and a restructuring of our entire system.

A ticket came in about The Washington Post website not loading. It wasn't being blocked on the web filter or the firewall, but will load on Windows 10 machines, but not Windows 7.

Long story short, I discovered that faculty/staff computers haven't had updates installed since August of 2015. A majority of our network and domain is handled by a consulting company, and I trust it to them to keep everything in check. For the most part, they've done absolutely fine, except for this issue. Apparently, my predecessor insisted he manage updates and then just didn't.

So, now I'm working with my network guy to get the update server back up and functioning, as well as rekajiggering all of our computers to fit into an update schedule. We're also going to be setting up group policies to push program installs/updates :3:

In my defense, I've never had experience with either of these types of systems, so this is going to be my first time using them.

I'm super stoked.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

GreenNight posted:

Why is it always sales and marketing that pull this poo poo? I had a very similar conversation with our new marketing director yesterday, though my response consisted of the words "gently caress" and "no".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

larchesdanrew posted:

A job offer came in.

This was your response, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The last time he made this offer this was my exact response.

He's not a bad guy and we're pretty good friends. We go out for drinks every now and then. He's just desperate to have me back but can't get corporate to hire me back at even my old wage, must less what I would require. He's also got a ton of pride, so he'd never actually admit he needs me back. He just frames it like I surely hate this new job and I'm always welcome to come back to the paradise that is the television station.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
not really IT related

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 25, 2017

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

reviving an apparently dead Windows Update server
Why? Just build a new WSUS server, update the GPO with the new URL, and boom, you're done.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

nexxai posted:

Why? Just build a new WSUS server, update the GPO with the new URL, and boom, you're done.

Yeah this is like the easiest thing ever.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Just found out two other people got promoted to a different department over me because I've officially become "too important to lose" :toot:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Just found out two other people got promoted to a different department over me because I've officially become "too important to lose" :toot:

Now you get to demand huge raises!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inspector_666 posted:

Now you get to demand huge raises!

"Sure would be a shame to lose me to someone who will PAY ME, eh?"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

nexxai posted:

Oh, this is what we're doing. I meant "revive" as in bringing it back to being used as opposed to it sitting there not doing anything for two years.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Let me preface this by saying that I know this is a massive fuckup on my part, so let's keep this a judgement free zone.

So, a blocked website has snowballed into reviving an apparently dead Windows Update server and a restructuring of our entire system.

A ticket came in about The Washington Post website not loading. It wasn't being blocked on the web filter or the firewall, but will load on Windows 10 machines, but not Windows 7.

Long story short, I discovered that faculty/staff computers haven't had updates installed since August of 2015. A majority of our network and domain is handled by a consulting company, and I trust it to them to keep everything in check. For the most part, they've done absolutely fine, except for this issue. Apparently, my predecessor insisted he manage updates and then just didn't.

So, now I'm working with my network guy to get the update server back up and functioning, as well as rekajiggering all of our computers to fit into an update schedule. We're also going to be setting up group policies to push program installs/updates :3:

In my defense, I've never had experience with either of these types of systems, so this is going to be my first time using them.

I'm super stoked.

It's really easy, the only gacha is the default on WSUS is not 80 / 8080 which the GPO will assume. Setup the GPO the computers report in push updates out. Note pushing several years worth of updates at the same time can bog stuff down. Try and get 3-4 months at a time per month. Going weekly or even biweekly will get complaints. Inform people that patches will be on %data% (second Tuesday of the month, is when MS does it, you want to be a month behind, or lag a week?) I usually do 3rd Tuesday push everything approved in test group to everyone and everything that was pushed to my test VM the previous week to the test group.

Most people are behind a month, but this prevents stupid stuff like outlook locking up due to an update from being company wide and manageable. Oh users in test group have this must be an update! Also keep an eye for any crazy exploits you need to push out off schedule.

Pushing out programs is basically just PDQ deploy.

You work for a school though, see if you can get SCCM, if you plan on moving into large scale companies that is something that is hard to get experience in, is expensive, and MS will usually give to schools for free / really cheap. SCCM will do the pushing out of programs and the updates as well as image computers for you! Pushing program out via GPO is asking for problems since it delays startup and if a user gets tired of waiting at "please wait" a pulls the plug they can break that software in new and exciting ways.

You should be able to set all this up with google on your own in a day or two without any experience in the software, WSUS will seem like it is doing nothing for a bit since clients take a bit to call home I like to set it up on a Friday and check back in on a Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

pixaal posted:

You work for a school though, see if you can get SCCM

This is the correct answer. Also, look forward to making it at least a quarter of your day.

• Locked thread