Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well you can toss a grade 5 engineer upgrade on the FDL jump drive and maybe crank it up to 18-19 LY depending on your armor but in comparison to nearly every other upgraded ship that still crawls.

I mean it might sound decent but it's the difference between a 4 jump journey in your tuned explorer/scout and 20 jumps in your combat monster. Maybe you're cool with that, in which case go for it.
(by comparison my Vulture is doing over 24 LY per jump and my military hull loaded down asp explorer does over 35)

You're going to be doing a metric shitload of jumping around doing the engineer grind through so I strongly recommend flying something with good legs while you do that. Mind you even a Cobra Mk 3 qualifies so it's not expensive to keep a decent multipurpose kicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I already have a Vulture loaded out with A rank everything (Well, everything it can take. I had to go with B rank on some things because even the A-rank power generator on the Vulture can't handle the power draw of all the systems)

I also already have an Asp Explorer.

So how much money should I have before I buy an FAS? I was told you only needed about double the buying price, and I have about quadruple that now.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Mercurius posted:

It's okay, we have a bunch of Canadians along with several French frogs (:haw:) so I'm sure you guys can have fun insulting the differences in each others' French instead of worrying about English :v:

Omg this is supposed to be OPSEC!!!

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
The FDL is a beast easily the most fun ship in the game, the only drawback as everyone says is it's jump-range. However it can power a really good scoop so you can maneuver at max throttle for the next jump and you already have a full tank, or you can buy a small long range ship for peanuts jump ahead and transfer the FDL.

Personally I just stick with the FDL, try it with expanded mag missile launchers two beams and a huge multi. Never overheats amazing firepower and it can easily outmaneuver anything it can't melt in seconds.

Turn on the mouse widget if the off-center cockpit fucks with your sense of direction.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Morningwoodpecker posted:

The FDL is a beast easily the most fun ship in the game, the only drawback as everyone says is it's jump-range. However it can power a really good scoop so you can maneuver at max throttle for the next jump and you already have a full tank, or you can buy a small long range ship for peanuts jump ahead and transfer the FDL.

Personally I just stick with the FDL, try it with expanded mag missile launchers two beams and a huge multi. Never overheats amazing firepower and it can easily outmaneuver anything it can't melt in seconds.

Turn on the mouse widget if the off-center cockpit fucks with your sense of direction.

Don't get me wrong, I want the FDL. Ultimately it's still my big goal, even beyond the Anaconda. I'm just trying to work my finances out here. Right now I'm running missions in my Asp Explorer which is paying decently but is boring as hell. I'd rather do bounty hunting, which I hear can be really profitable if you can handle the heavier conflict zones.

So right now I'm sitting on about 72 million, and I'm trying to figure out, should I grind up in this route a bit more to get the money I need for an FDL, buy an assault ship and jump into bounty hunting...Keep grinding for the money I need to make the FAS decent? I have no idea how much this stuff will cost.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You should be able to buy a maxed out A-rated FDL (without military armor as that adds a shitload to the cost) for vaguely ~90 million.

You'd want to keep enough cash on hand for a handful of rebuys and the insurance cost is going to be close to 4 million per whoopsie.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

DancingShade posted:

You should be able to buy a maxed out A-rated FDL (without military armor as that adds a shitload to the cost) for vaguely ~90 million.

You'd want to keep enough cash on hand for a handful of rebuys and the insurance cost is going to be close to 4 million per whoopsie.

So now the (90) million dollar question: Is it worth it to endure the soul-crushing grind to fully kit the FDL out in A-rank gear before I take it out, or am I alright in going with some of the cheaper options to start out with?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gothsheep posted:

So now the (90) million dollar question: Is it worth it to endure the soul-crushing grind to fully kit the FDL out in A-rank gear before I take it out, or am I alright in going with some of the cheaper options to start out with?

It's actually more of a 4 million dollar question because that's what your rebuys will cost.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Gothsheep posted:

Thrusters, power and distributor are important, d-rate is fine for everything else. Bi-weave is now much better and much cheaper than a-rate so that's another easy saving.

Chuck your build into coriolis get a price add insurance x 3 at least and work towards it. No armour it just slows you down.

A half decent combat ship with the ability (and willingness) to run before your shields drop to recharge at increased rate in super-cruise, can be used to farm CZ's for kills making millions from massacre missions plus war-bonds.

Or there's always haz-rez which is slower but safer.

Or whichever cash exploit pops up next.

Edit :

Coriolis : https://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/0phtfFdlidpsif31r1b1b1b1b0m-----B23503v62h.Iw18aQ==.Aw18aQ==?bn=a%20vitals

I think you can afford it if you can live with poo poo jump range, and no shield boosters. This is a basic PVE hunter and mission runner you'd be knackered in PVP or a CZ. Don't forget insurance. It's a lot better than my first FDL was. Run away if you get into trouble.

67 million plus 3.3 insurance.

Morningwoodpecker fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 25, 2017

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Gothsheep posted:

Don't get me wrong, I want the FDL. Ultimately it's still my big goal, even beyond the Anaconda. I'm just trying to work my finances out here. Right now I'm running missions in my Asp Explorer which is paying decently but is boring as hell. I'd rather do bounty hunting, which I hear can be really profitable if you can handle the heavier conflict zones.

So right now I'm sitting on about 72 million, and I'm trying to figure out, should I grind up in this route a bit more to get the money I need for an FDL, buy an assault ship and jump into bounty hunting...Keep grinding for the money I need to make the FAS decent? I have no idea how much this stuff will cost.

What's your explorer rank? I've been grinding passenger missions and making bank trying to reach Elite. The higher your ranking the better missions you get which then feed back into your explorer ranking.
Look for tourist missions that are within the bubble that take you to a few systems to look at tourist sites. They can pay well an don't take too long to complete.

I'm at Pioneer now and see missions around 2-8 million with the occasional 18 million ones popping up.
In the past 24 hours I've gone from 32% to 74% running these. That's 84 million earned since at Pioneer it's 2 million credits per 1%.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I should look into passenger missions sometime. I made Ranger last time I was outside the bubble so I should have access to the good missions now.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I did 1 sightseeing mission last night that took barely 20 minutes, paid 8m and got me the last 30% from pathfinder to ranger

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Can someone give me an update on the state of the game?

Also, someone told me that engineering was actually fun right now (after previously being terrible), but then someone else told me that Frontier felt there wasn't enough grinding involved and are actively planning to add a lot of grinding to the process, so that if I wanted to play around with it I should do it now. Is that accurate?

Has frontier lifted the grind requirements for any other parts of the game, or is still a merciless sequence of taking frustratingly long to achieve any sense of progress?

Edit: Hoooooly poo poo I made the mistake of looking it up and apparently there are just waves of people complaining to Frontier that Engineering is too easy, happens too quickly, and that the results are meaningless if people aren't required to "really work for it", and almost no meaningful opposition.

Just a little reminder for me about why I stopped playing and why this will never be the game it almost was that I still desperately want, I guess. :(

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2017

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

GlyphGryph posted:

Can someone give me an update on the state of the game?

Also, someone told me that engineering was actually fun right now (after previously being terrible), but then someone else told me that Frontier felt there wasn't enough grinding involved and are actively planning to add a lot of grinding to the process, so that if I wanted to play around with it I should do it now. Is that accurate?

Has frontier lifted the grind requirements for any other parts of the game, or is still a merciless sequence of taking frustratingly long to achieve any sense of progress?

Edit: Hoooooly poo poo I made the mistake of looking it up and apparently there are just waves of people complaining to Frontier that Engineering is too easy, happens too quickly, and that the results are meaningless if people aren't required to "really work for it", and almost no meaningful opposition.

Just a little reminder for me about why I stopped playing and why this will never be the game it almost was that I still desperately want, I guess. :(

Why don't you come chat in your dead gay group's Discord, we'll be more than happy to bring you up to speed

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
How on earth am I supposed to get this secretive explorer's "Okay, I'm good, take me home," message to fire when the visitor beacon is crawling with pirates, trying to scan me every ten seconds?

edit: Ahhh, there it goes, mere seconds after posting. But still, gently caress this rear end in a top hat and his rude bullshit. :mad:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 25, 2017

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

How on earth am I supposed to get this secretive explorer's "Okay, I'm good, take me home," message to fire when the visitor beacon is crawling with pirates, trying to scan me every ten seconds?

edit: Ahhh, there is goes, mere seconds after posting. But still, gently caress this rude demanding rear end in a top hat. :mad:

You could have gone silent. Can't scan you if they can't see you.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

ughhhh posted:

You could have gone silent. Can't scan you if they can't see you.

Oooooh, good idea. I ALWAYS forget about silent running-related hijinks. I'll give it a shot next time around (and this time, obviously, as I'm dropping him off back home).

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 25, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Quickly guys, get your engineering done before the 84ers poo poo all over it!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yes, I'm going to get one up on those 84ers by grinding engineering now, on the off chance they make grinding engineering slightly worse in the future.

That'll sure loving show em!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I had to get pharmaceutical isolators for DD5 and figured I was in for days of grinding. first HGE I dropped into had 3 :thumbsup:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
This was a bit terrifying to drop out of hyperspace into

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

adamantium|wang posted:

This was a bit terrifying to drop out of hyperspace into

Last patched fixed it so that is always safe.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Last patched fixed it so that is always safe.

That doesn't stop my rear end in a top hat from clenching in reflexive "OH poo poo" every time it happens.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone use ED Toolbox and Voice attack? Do they work well? It looks like ED Toolbox gives alot more info than the ingame system/galaxy map which initself would be really useful.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I've not used ED Toolbox (though I may check it out, it looks neat), but VoiceAttack is tremendously useful for automating a lot of non-critical tasks. I use it for stuff like docking requests, quick power presets, and subsystem targeting.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Medpak posted:

Because in 1983 they made a game and most of it was flying, staring at numbers and docking. So well, that's the majority of what we had to base the game off of.

1984. And there was no staring at numbers.

(BBC Micro couldn't render numbers plus 3d graphics at an acceptable rate. It also couldn't do 3d graphics at an acceptable rate.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dirty posted:

1984. And there was no staring at numbers.

(BBC Micro couldn't render numbers plus 3d graphics at an acceptable rate. It also couldn't do 3d graphics at an acceptable rate.)

I think Universe was made in 1983. But it traumatized people so badly most people tend to forget Elite wasn't the first of its kind. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 26, 2017

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Finally!

Now to piss some 84ers off by posting in that thread on the official forum where they're whining about how it's unfair that you can earn explorer rank from passenger missions.

"But...but...you've been playing less than an hour a day! You shouldn't be able to be Elite!"

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

drat I gotta get on this fast.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Sultan Tarquin posted:

drat I gotta get on this fast.

I was already Pathfinder with around 12 million. This was just from putting around inside or near the bubble.
Two weeks ago I took a passenger mission about 6K LY from where I was at that paid 16 million.
It took me almost 5 days to complete the mission, but it advanced me a decent amount into Ranger. The 5 million in exploration data I had helped a lot too.

Since last Thursday I've just been grinding passenger missions that kept me inside the bubble and was making bank left and right.
Ranger advanced 1% for every 1 million earned, but Pioneer is 1% for every 2 million.

Most of the missions I was taking were like this or better:

The Elite rank missions were paying 12-18 million when they'd occasionally pop up.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 26, 2017

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Turmoil posted:

Finally!

Now to piss some 84ers off by posting in that thread on the official forum where they're whining about how it's unfair that you can earn explorer rank from passenger missions.

"But...but...you've been playing less than an hour a day! You shouldn't be able to be Elite!"

I feel like the Brown Sea's attitude can be summed up as "please step on my balls David Braben, pleeeeaaaasssse." At first I was confused about the how of their weird masochistic streak regarding any QoL changes fit with their moral objection to and hatred of PvP allowing players to "destroy their time investment" or whatever. Then I realized it's because they want David Braben to be their dom.

Playing in CZs recently got me rethinking poo poo about how I play. My upgraded Eagle Mk2 is no longer my go to for combat even though I could take down NPC Anacondas and FDLs (including Elites) with the thing in RES zones with my beam and canons setup and some persistence. I switched to the iCourier and found that convergence is something I have to take into account and noticed the velocity on one of my fixed cannons was way lower than the other and matched a plasma accelerator's speed so I got one of those and holy gently caress it works well against bigger ships. I'm tempted to get a second one or to gently caress around with weapon groups so I can alternate between the beam and plasma to take shields down and the plasma and cannon to finish ships off (the different reload times and fire rates and convergence issues are loving with me when I've got them both on the same trigger).

Edit: "Elite Dangerous: Please Step on My Balls David Braben" would be a great title for a new season of E:D content.

Vorlonesque fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 26, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Patch note for Planet Coaster stood out to me

quote:

Added Scizzer ride audio and "Friendship Drive Engaged" music track.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I have found my dream spaceship; http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A010,...qpD7dg04wE168M1

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
This is getting a bit silly now

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Goatsun

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
"HEY! LISTEN!!"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

adamantium|wang posted:

This is getting a bit silly now

Only thing missing is you targeting an asteroid ring somewhere on the left.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
I just think the 84'ers want this game to last them until 2044 when they release the next version.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
What are people's thoughts on railgun upgrades, now that the ammo has increased to 80? I thought Short Range Blaster with Super Penetrator could be a good combo, but I've seen people say the damage falloff makes SRB not worth it. Though that seems to have been tweaked in a recent patch too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE
Plasma slug lighweight weapon is good for railguns on smaller ships, you keep most of the damage and can fit a larger fuel tank with the saved weight whilst staying really mobile. Add a fuel scoop and you've got infinite ammo.

I've tried short range blasters up to grade 5 but overheating was a pain.

• Locked thread