Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

I think the idea there is the whole game is Dandelion's retelling, and he's filling in details for his audience that Geralt isn't going to learn until he asks Ciri about them later.

This is how it is. The game's presented as Dandelion telling Geralt's stories and it also fits pretty well with how Dandelion dramatises it all to Geralt's chagrin.

"Not only did Geralt partcipate in the Novigrad gwent tournament, he had literally every single Gwent card and won the final round with a score of 280 to 11!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is how it is. The game's presented as Dandelion telling Geralt's stories and it also fits pretty well with how Dandelion dramatises it all to Geralt's chagrin.

"Not only did Geralt partcipate in the Novigrad gwent tournament, he had literally every single Gwent card and won the final round with a score of 280 to 11!"

I'd be chagrined too if Dandelion blabbed to everybody about my own gaming addictions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Let me tell you something about the Witcher, Geralt of Rivia. He didn't just capture all 801 Pokémon, no, he didn't just beat challenge 6 in Vanquish either. Geralt of Rivia platinumed all three FFXIII games and he unequivocally "got gud" at Dark Souls.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mzbundifund posted:

I think the idea there is the whole game is Dandelion's retelling, and he's filling in details for his audience that Geralt isn't going to learn until he asks Ciri about them later.
Too bad that in the quests where Geralt makes a fool out of Dandelion the narration still shows it all in embarassing details.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Palpek posted:

One of my other but more serious favorite moments was Yen resurrecting that guy to ask about Ciri. Sure that there are tons of rpgs where necromancy is a big no-no but it somehow always stays more theoretically bad and is so sterile in its depiction. Here, after the scene ended I was like "yeah, necromancy is hosed up, holy poo poo".

Yeah, there is no doubting during that scene that bringing the dude back even temporarily is a loving horrific thing for everybody concerned... ESPECIALLY him. The nailed the voice acting/effects combo on that part pretty well.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Let me tell you something about the Witcher, Geralt of Rivia. He didn't just capture all 801 Pokémon, no, he didn't just beat challenge 6 in Vanquish either. Geralt of Rivia platinumed all three FFXIII games and he unequivocally "got gud" at Dark Souls.

Many have heard of my friend Geralt's skill in dice and cards, but few know of his passion for Super Monkey Ball 2...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Palpek posted:

Too bad that in the quests where Geralt makes a fool out of Dandelion the narration still shows it all in embarassing details.

Dandelion heavily edited those, the reality was even MORE embarrassing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Ladies love a man who can make fun of himself.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Man the pacing of this game is kind of bizarre. I spend a million hours trudging through a swap, a lovely city and, for a significant less amount of time, some vaguely nordic islands and then the game streamlines its way into a million story missions that go by super fast and I gained a billion levels and what even happened.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think the issue is you can access basically every side quest from the beginning of the game, so if you're the type to do side quests before the main quest you'll end up getting to the main quest 60 hours in and then it's all main quest all the time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I really think the game would be better if side-quests would give zero experience. Nothing would get greyed-out and if you started encountering side-quests with too high level requirements it would be time to go back to the main quest for experience. This would more naturally distribute side-quest waves between main story sessions.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Palpek posted:

I really think the game would be better if side-quests would give zero experience. Nothing would get greyed-out and if you started encountering side-quests with too high level requirements it would be time to go back to the main quest for experience. This would more naturally distribute side-quest waves between main story sessions.

Except it'd give no incentive to do them for a lot of people. Some people lose their minds when there's no reward for something in a game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I also think part of the problem is the way the game structures itself early. You have White Orchard as a tutorial area, and it's closed off and it's own thing and not that big. That teaches the player that it is ok to stay in one place and do everything and find all the fun secrets and what have you get to Velen and it's loving huge. (I'd actually argue it's actually too big, but that's a different issue) and because I just played White Orchard I hang out and try to find all the fun secrets and what have you.

The games main quest supports this, it takes you everywhere in the beginning of the game, all over Valen. You go all over the place. That's great, but it forces the player to explore, find sidequests, get distracted, which screws with their pacing.

Then you get to Skellige, kaer Moren, Isle of Mist, ect and those are more contained maps with less to find and do. The quests get more streamlined. They go by faster and you have less of a reason to explore.

The game is incredibly front loaded in the first act with side content, which I think is a pretty big (which is to say it makes this game a 9/10 in my eyes, instead of a 10/10) because I'm so far in and I feel like there is so little mystery left in the world to find, but I have a slew of side quests and a few more main quests to do.

I honestly think this comes from how they designed their maps. There is a huge disconnect between Velen and, by virtue of it being one map, Novigrad, and the rest of the maps in the game. It seems like the made Valen with the idea the the entire game needed to take place there and realized their story required more maps and then went from there. In my opinion, if Velen was broken up into 3/4 smaller maps. (Baron land, Crookback bog, Novigrad, ect) it would do wonder for the pace of the game because it would spread out story content, side content, and exploration in more bite sized chunks.

I do have to wonder if there was some disconnect in the initial design phase of the game, and what eventually got produced because it's a weird missmatch between a totally open world game and something more akin to DA:I.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still better than most open world games in terms of scope. That huge tract of Velen and Novigrad is just the immediate area surrounding the Pontar Delta.

Of course then you have the skellige isles being comparatively small, and somehow being able to ride from Northern Kaedwen all the way to Vizima deep in Temeria in like a week.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pacing was even a bit worse at launch, because there was barely any reason to explore Kaer Morhen past the main quest locations, other than the nice landscapes. So it was a really awkwardly fast pary of the story. The wolf armour at least fixed that part a bit.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Just got to the part where the bed dies and I think I might have made the wrong decision.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have about 15 hours in this game and I'm realizing i can't even fire it up unless i have like 6 hours to kill because of how engrossing it is. I cannot believe there is such a high quality video game that happens to heavily emphasize a mini-game that is basically a copy of my favorite thing (Magic: the Gathering), and to have gwent be more easy on the eyes than the actual MtG online client is like, pretty embarrassing for Wizards of the Coast.

I'm level 7 and feel like i'm leveling painfully slow.

I also dumped seemingly all of my skill points into bad skills and now im trying to farm my first 1,000 gold in the game because i just want to respec dump everything into mutations now, and break out of my Only signs all the time style of play. How can I farm up a G-stack before i go through this AWFUL keira metz mission (I'm gonna be kinda bummed if I have to sleep with a bunch of chicks and then kill them afterwards. Like I can't let you go, 1,000's of people might die? And you'll just do the same thing at Kaer Morhn? *ROLLS EYES SO HARD THEY FALL OUT OF MY FACE*

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There's two cows in white orchard near the inn that respawn. Burn them, steal their leather and then meditate for an hour. Rinse, repeat.

Also lol that you killed Kiera.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 25, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

inferis posted:

Just got to the part where the bed dies and I think I might have made the wrong decision.

in which way

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bust Rodd posted:

I also dumped seemingly all of my skill points into bad skills and now im trying to farm my first 1,000 gold in the game because i just want to respec dump everything into mutations now, and break out of my Only signs all the time style of play. How can I farm up a G-stack before i go through this AWFUL keira metz mission

The fastest way to level is to progress the main quest, so feel free to shelve side quest stuff if you feel weak. And Maximum Signs is a great way to play - get alternate-form Yrden - that thing's great.

Bust Rodd posted:

(I'm gonna be kinda bummed if I have to sleep with a bunch of chicks and then kill them afterwards. Like I can't let you go, 1,000's of people might die? And you'll just do the same thing at Kaer Morhn? *ROLLS EYES SO HARD THEY FALL OUT OF MY FACE*

You don't gotta sleep with her, and you don't gotta kill her either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bust Rodd posted:

I have about 15 hours in this game and I'm realizing i can't even fire it up unless i have like 6 hours to kill because of how engrossing it is. I cannot believe there is such a high quality video game that happens to heavily emphasize a mini-game that is basically a copy of my favorite thing (Magic: the Gathering), and to have gwent be more easy on the eyes than the actual MtG online client is like, pretty embarrassing for Wizards of the Coast.

I also dumped seemingly all of my skill points into bad skills and now im trying to farm my first 1,000 gold in the game because i just want to respec dump everything into mutations now, and break out of my Only signs all the time style of play. How can I farm up a G-stack before i go through this AWFUL keira metz mission (I'm gonna be kinda bummed if I have to sleep with a bunch of chicks and then kill them afterwards. Like I can't let you go, 1,000's of people might die? And you'll just do the same thing at Kaer Morhn? *ROLLS EYES SO HARD THEY FALL OUT OF MY FACE*

You can get the notes without killing her.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pacing was even a bit worse at launch, because there was barely any reason to explore Kaer Morhen past the main quest locations, other than the nice landscapes. So it was a really awkwardly fast pary of the story. The wolf armour at least fixed that part a bit.

Which was a great idea, because Kaer Morhen is beautiful. The smaller area made it feel like it had a lot more attention given to every piece of it. And learning the history of the area was pretty captivating.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

To be completely fair the game does not explain in any way shape or form that the conversation response that Geralt chooses with in any way lead to you killing Kiera. it really is the moment where I was most frustrated with the game.

It's fallout 4 level of bad conversation choices.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I think somewhere along the line he got the idea that Keira was developing a plague, not a cure for an existing plague.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It was the keira mission that made me realize that Geralt is basically this medieval male bimbo and all the women exploit him for whatever they want.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bust Rodd posted:

Not to tell you how to play, but Keira is not all that bad and you get some cool content if you send her to kaer morhen.

As to leveling, slow your roll, you're probably fine, what skills do you have points in? Early on is the hardest part as your toolbox is still rather empty. Feeling a bit outleveled is normal at that stage. You might be able to just go find a few of the places of power and get ability points that way.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I love Kaer Morhen, but I still wish Wolf armor was available in the beginning and the upgrades were mostly found there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also lol that you killed Kiera.

More importantly, RIP Lambert.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fuzz posted:

More importantly, RIP Lambert.

Now he'll never get the chance to prank call mages on a megascope again

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

Now he'll never get the chance to prank call mages on a megascope again

And another player will never hear the limmerick.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I think somewhere along the line he got the idea that Keira was developing a plague, not a cure for an existing plague.

Iirc the idea was that Radovid wouldn't pardon her for a plague cure but he might pardon her for some way to weaponise the plague against Nilfgaard, which the notes might allow her to do. In retrospect it makes sense for the winning option to be "he won't pardon you ever for any reason" I guess.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My read on it was that Geralt knows enough about Radovid kings to know that once he has the notes from her he has zero reason to give her anything, and publicly executing her will support his position, so that's absolutely what he's going to do. Keira isn't hard to convince of this, her primary motivation for trying this is she absolutely hates Velen (a fair point, Velen is awful), and she feels demeaned and debased by having to be the Village Witch (because she's arrogant), and so she's not thinking super clearly. It's a desperation play for her, so once Geralt offers her a third option of leaving Velen but not trusting her life to an insane psychopath, she takes it.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Fuzz posted:

Except it'd give no incentive to do them for a lot of people. Some people lose their minds when there's no reward for something in a game.

It actually seems the perfect opportunity to change hunts into what they are supposed to be, thematically: the way Geralt gets money. Reduce/remove most or all the ways you get money otherwise, boost the hunt rewards accordingly and see how benevolent Geralt is when it comes to a thieving Doppler that tries to kill him!

Paul Zuvella posted:

To be completely fair the game does not explain in any way shape or form that the conversation response that Geralt chooses with in any way lead to you killing Kiera. it really is the moment where I was most frustrated with the game.

It's fallout 4 level of bad conversation choices.

Yep. I didn't kill her the first time. I had no intention of doing so the second time but the slightly more stern but otherwise identical response initiated a duel to the death and the rapid fire auto-saving checkpoints meant I couldn't go back and choose the other response without losing probably 2 hours. So she dead this time around.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

Which was a great idea, because Kaer Morhen is beautiful. The smaller area made it feel like it had a lot more attention given to every piece of it. And learning the history of the area was pretty captivating.

I remember the first time booting the game up, I looked out from Geralt's balcony at the distance, the clouds rolling over the trees and mountains...

... noticing my GPU fan was going like the clappers, my frame rate was around 10 and the card was pushing 95 degrees, quitting out, uninstalling, gathering a bunch of old games, getting the train to Doncaster and then getting the PS4 version instead. Overall, bittersweet, but I still got to play Witcher 3 a gently caress load in the end.

(I tweaked before biting the bullet and going to buy a second copy but I couldn't get it to run at a personally playable level without it looking like a bad Witcher 1)

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Does it ever stop raining after that one scene in Skellige with the mask?

It's been 90% rain since then in every location; Skellige, Velen, Kaer Morhen, Novigrad... It's so dull and sodden I can't get a good look at my armour damnit.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nullkigan posted:

Does it ever stop raining after that one scene in Skellige with the mask?

It's been 90% rain since then in every location; Skellige, Velen, Kaer Morhen, Novigrad... It's so dull and sodden I can't get a good look at my armour damnit.

Did you finish the quest? It literally stopped raining right after it for me.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Don't think it's possible to get to Kaer Morhen without finishing it.

It's not quite 100% rain all the time, but there's definitely a hell of a lot more rain than there used to be. Over the course of like two to three ingame weeks finishing up contracts and sidequests I've seen maybe 4 hours of sunshine.

I guess I'm falsely attributing some really bad RNG on the environment tables to that one quest?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm on my NG+ playthrough. I was disappointed that I the B&W laurels didn't roll over, but I do get to wear the autistic transition lenses. Anything to keep that grandmaster school of the cat hood down.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Rain all the time sounds awesome, what with the 100% crit rate when using superior thunderbolt. Send some of that weather my way.

I also live in a desert in real life, so seeing rain in game would make me happy even if it wasn't OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nullkigan posted:

Don't think it's possible to get to Kaer Morhen without finishing it.

It's not quite 100% rain all the time, but there's definitely a hell of a lot more rain than there used to be. Over the course of like two to three ingame weeks finishing up contracts and sidequests I've seen maybe 4 hours of sunshine.

I guess I'm falsely attributing some really bad RNG on the environment tables to that one quest?

There are at least two other quests in Skellige that affect the weather. One is the master alchemist quest, the other is The Tower Outta Nowheres.