Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Asha that lightbulb had a family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Boss' increasingly confused irritation at the convoluted nature of Asha's stealth mechanics always cracks me up. :allears:

I think I've mentioned it before, but Saints Row always felt like it was poking fun at other games rather than pissing on them. I imagine if that sequence had been in GTA the entire time its characters would have ranted about how loving stupid it is and how much of a twat someone would have to be before they'd do it this way.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug0MFSFKRjY

The singalongs will never not have me pull over and just listen.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

The Boss' increasingly confused irritation at the convoluted nature of Asha's stealth mechanics always cracks me up. :allears:

I think I've mentioned it before, but Saints Row always felt like it was poking fun at other games rather than pissing on them. I imagine if that sequence had been in GTA the entire time its characters would have ranted about how loving stupid it is and how much of a twat someone would have to be before they'd do it this way.

Saints Row's humor is like "Haha, we like this stuff too :)" while GTA's is like "Peepee poopoo barf 69"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sad lions posted:

FF15: Noct's impression of Ignis in the moogle chocobo festival.

That was so good and I cracked up at it. "I've come up with a new reciPEEEHH"

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Saints Row's humor is like "Haha, we like this stuff too :)" while GTA's is like "Peepee poopoo barf 69"

that's also saints' row's humor.

i associate gta writing with guys angrily pacing around each other in a cutscene and waving their arms like crazy people as they talk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reminder that in SR2 you can literally drive around in a sewage pumping truck and spray poo poo at people

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Feonir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug0MFSFKRjY

The singalongs will never not have me pull over and just listen.

The Nolan North voice will originally just go "No. Pierce, no, just..." for about the first minute, then belt in with 'I go to bed early!'. SR4 always felt like one of those games that was fun to work on, from the voice acting to the strange poo poo they put into the missions.

Video of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfKxs9EPQk0

Insurance Fraud is the greatest minigame in any game and I will not hear any dissent about it.

As for some Content, I've been playing 'Let it Die' recently and I have to say that it's probably the only free-to-play game that feels like you can win without paying. I'm up to Lv. 14 in the tower, just unlocked all my 2nd Tier characters and a bunch of room upgrades, and the progression feels really natural. I haven't spent a cent, but it doesn't feel like it's locking me out of any of the content because of that.

The game is kind of like if Bloodborne and Binding of Isaac got mashed together, with a very after-the-end vibe in the setting. And it's a Suda51 game, so everyone is batshit crazy and has these really weird designs to them. Plus, the music kicks rear end.

J.A.B.C. has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Jan 24, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

i associate gta writing with guys angrily pacing around each other in a cutscene and waving their arms like crazy people as they talk.

The different between them is that SR humor is more playful while modern GTA humor is just plain tryhard hateful.

Ones the type of joking youd see among friends the other is the type you see people use against others they hate.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Action Tortoise posted:

You're both right, and that's why GTA's humour is terrible. Saints Row has dick jokes and spraying poop on people, but it also doesn't try to leverage a serious storyline. There can be elements of pathos in SR, but SR hasn't fallen up its own rear end and doesn't attempt to cram the most blunt, ham-handed social commentary and satire into it. I'm not saying that games should shy away from examining society, but the way GTA does it is so amazingly inept and masturbatory that it ruins the experience.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I appreciate when games go through the effort of programming a unique fail state. It's kinda like a reward for being incompetent, but only without crushing knowledge that you're being patronized. My favorite being one of GTA V's early missions (2 hours in i think) where you're trying to sneak into somebody's house. Every single person in the house has a special fail state for spotting you.

The crown jewel being a tennis/yoga coach who upon seeing you puts the wife in between you and him while wailing "he's black!" at the top of his lungs. The protagonist waves his hands rapidly at this accusation in vain hope that his mastery of sign language will placate the shrieking yogi.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

Reminder that in SR2 you can literally drive around in a sewage pumping truck and spray poo poo at people

SR having a better sense of humour doesn't mean it's the more sophisticated game. :v:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Mafia three found an elegant way to describe your failures. The game is told as a documentary about your main character. When you fail, it cuts to one of the interviewees saying how your characters inability to complete the mission doomed their enterprise completely. Quick and effective, and it explains how you can get a game over for not chasing somebody's car down.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

SR chat: the fact that clothing, hair and makeup is gender neutral from 2 on is the best because there is no game that wouldn't be improved by the protagonist being a ripped drag queen.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agents are GO! posted:

I just finished Saint's Row 4, and a few things I loved:

The "NyteFall" mission: How the boss's attitude went from "Is this NyteBlade fanfiction?!?!" to "That's... compelling." to basically being a fan of NyteBlade over the course of the mission. Basically going :frogout: -> :frogon: -> :getin: by the end.
During one of the endgame missions (rescuing Kinzie from the 1950's sim) all your weapons are gone. When I opened the menu to see this, the boss commented that it was the saddest radial menu he's ever seen.

Asha's loyalty mission mocking the poo poo out of Metal Gear.

I was going to link to a video of the mission where you get the robot suit and quote The Transformers: The Movie with Zinyak while The Touch plays, but I couldn't find one where the player had used male voice 3.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

So, I just watched Chip Cheezum looking through the Nier:Automata Demo, and I noticed something for some rampant speculation:

This is Yonah, from Nier. She's pretty important:

And this is 2B, the playable character for the new game.

Now back to Nier, here's Emil, another important character:

And this is 9S, a support character from the demo.

Now, you may think 'Hey, they're just using similar designs', and normally you'd be right. But if you haven't played or seen Nier, you know that there's some serious fuckery going on in the story, so that's probably not the case.

J.A.B.C. has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Jan 25, 2017

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

poptart_fairy posted:

SR having a better sense of humour doesn't mean it's the more sophisticated game. :v:

SR knows what it is much, much better than any GTA. I appreciated the self-awareness that ended up being wholly embraced in SR4. Also the SR4 ending dance scene is one of my favorite closing cutscenes in a game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, I just watched Chip Cheezum looking through the Nier:Automata Demo, and I noticed something for some rampant speculation:

Now, you may think 'Hey, they're just using similar designs', and normally you'd be right. But if you haven't played or seen Nier, you know that there's some serious fuckery going on in the story, so that's probably not the case.

Also a lot of the enemies look like they're pretty explicitly based off of Emil and his sister's weapon forms. Meanwhile Emil's head is noticeably alive after the ending of the first game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gohuskies posted:

SR knows what it is much, much better than any GTA. I appreciated the self-awareness that ended up being wholly embraced in SR4. Also the SR4 ending dance scene is one of my favorite closing cutscenes in a game.

GTA thinks it's a Michael Mann movie, SR thinks it's a Michael Bay movie.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

I'd say that GTA is a Michael Mann movie and SR is a Naked Gun movie

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

haveblue posted:

GTA thinks it's a Michael Mann movie and it's actually a Michael Bay movie, SR thinks it's a Michael Bay movie and it's actually the best Michael Bay movie ever made.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

J.A.B.C. posted:

The only way Emil and 9S are the same is if Emil had saline injections in his lips because drat

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Who What Now posted:

The only way Emil and 9S are the same is if Emil had saline injections in his lips because drat

He's definitely had a lot of work on his head done in the time since Nier

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

gohuskies posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhE1dNQ8TI

Alternatively:
http://i.imgur.com/FsT27wZ.gifv

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
IIRC Emil is still around, I want to say helping out the android corps or something

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

J.A.B.C. posted:

Insurance Fraud is the greatest minigame in any game and I will not hear any dissent about it.

Insurance Fraud only gets more fun with superpowers. Best way to start a combo is to super sprint and then ragdoll just before hitting a car.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

m2pt5 posted:

Insurance Fraud only gets more fun with superpowers. Best way to start a combo is to super sprint and then ragdoll just before hitting a car.

Don't you get a super huge airtime boost if you hold the super jump button, or do I just imagine that?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Don't you get a super huge airtime boost if you hold the super jump button, or do I just imagine that?

you get the best hangtime and just smack around buildings that required you to build up enough momentum to pull off in earlier games.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

you get the best hangtime and just smack around buildings that required you to build up enough momentum to pull off in earlier games.

Rolling is the key. Jump, airdash into the top half of a lamppost, and then just ragdoll-somersault your way around town, building up too much speed to lose it. Tap a car every now and again to pick up a better multiplier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's meant to be a plot point that the androids in Automata look like past characters?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

J.A.B.C. posted:

Why are they all blindfolded?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Gorilla Salad posted:

I can't speak for any of the other characters but Emil has medusa eyes

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Well Emil basically has medusa powers, so he can't open his eyes without killing everyone in the room.

The androids I imagine don't actually need eyes to see- either that or its some hyper advanced visor. Regardless of the in universe reason, it's mostly to try to look cool.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Chinese new years in Guild Wars 2

'

You can wear giant cocks on your back :D

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Resident Evil 7:

Really hard to narrow down on the things I want to mention here as it's pretty amazing and full of neat details but one I just noticed is that on return to the house, I saw that the blood stain from me downing jack in a non-scripted location that was completely optional was still there, hours later. I wouldn't have even acknowledged it being absent so it's amazing to me that it stuck around.

This has had the effect of me becoming incredibly paranoid about any missing bodies.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

We've already answered about Emil, but it could be a stylistic choice or some weird story consequence saying that they're androids from the Moon. Honestly, losing eyes never seems to slow anyone down in a Platinum game as it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In FF15 I'm doing a second playthrough (from level 1, trying to get more skilled), and love how open the game is. I can go straight to the volcano with a few thousand gil and buy close-to-endgame weapons pretty much immediately.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

J.A.B.C. posted:

We've already answered about Emil, but it could be a stylistic choice or some weird story consequence saying that they're androids from the Moon. Honestly, losing eyes never seems to slow anyone down in a Platinum game as it is.

Or just about any FromSoftware game.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jumping out of an aircraft to raid a penthouse fortress while Power by Kanye West plays in Saints Row the Third is one of the greatest moments in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

rydiafan posted:

Jumping out of an aircraft to raid a penthouse fortress while Power by Kanye West plays in Saints Row the Third is one of the greatest moments in video games.

I thought you were jumping out of your penthouse while it's being raided? It's been awhile since I've played it, although thanks to this thread, I got it reinstalled last night.

On topic, I love how you can play through the entire campaign in co-op; the only downside is that it spoiled me, so the lack of campaign co-op in GTA and Watch Dogs really drug them down for me.