Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

Jesus christ they really cannot let gawker go can they?

Deadspin still has some decent coverage from time to time but you really have to look for it and sort through all the advertising posts, shared posts from the other sites, and all the whining gawker 2.0 posts on concourse

I still really like Deadspin but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

As someone who's been pretty down on the Ringer in the past, I'm excited they are finally bringing on a must read

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/824263836840566785

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Did he delete it?

I thought HamNo was supposed to be Gawker's fighting dude, I mean, if they were to have someone actually fight people.

It wasn't HamNo, looks like it was Ashley Feinberg

General E
Aug 25, 2003

DJExile posted:

It wasn't HamNo, looks like it was Ashley Feinberg

To her credit, she is taking the owning well on Twitter. Marchman lost his mind for some reason.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Marchman's literal response to getting owned is "fight me irl"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

"Hey Ted Cruz's office responded to ypur request of a photo of Ted Cruz playing basketball. Any thoughts, editor of a major sports and general interest website"

"Taste my blade, cur"

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Unmerciful posted:

As someone who's been pretty down on the Ringer in the past, I'm excited they are finally bringing on a must read

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/824263836840566785

Considering he seems like one of the only three guests on Simmons' podcast this isn't surprising

On an unrelated note, this isn't surprising either

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/824306138787282947

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vertical Lime posted:

Considering he seems like one of the only three guests on Simmons' podcast this isn't surprising

On an unrelated note, this isn't surprising either

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/824306138787282947

I want to think that it wasn't a case of his name just not being on the list, but there being the equivalent of a Polaroid with "DO NOT SERVE THIS MAN" in sharpie on it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General E posted:

To her credit, she is taking the owning well on Twitter. Marchman lost his mind for some reason.

she's being a super good sport about it publically but I'm guessing she gets all sorts of gross poo poo sent to her that probably plays some role in marchman getting so mad

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Getting dunked on by Ted Cruz is pretty gross fwiw

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Getting dunked on by Ted Cruz is pretty gross fwiw

also hilarious

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

I thought HamNo was supposed to be Gawker's fighting dude, I mean, if they were to have someone actually fight people.

Much like Petchesky and occasionally Tom Ley, he's one of Gawker's go-to "get ridiculously self-righteous and indignant about something" guys. Petchesky in particular can take the littlest thing and turn it into a matter of life, death and moral outrage.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/TimKennedyMMA/status/824369871576252427

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What on Earth is Deadspin trying to accomplish here?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lockback posted:

What on Earth is Deadspin trying to accomplish here?

Woke cred.

(Also, I have a confession to make: I sincerely believe that Barstool has become better than Deadspin as of late, strictly because of their good hockey writer Jordie and Pardon My Take.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Now they're getting schooled by a man who gave up MMA to hunt Hitler.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I hate Tim Kennedy but the idea of that guy getting beat up by a professional fighter after trying to act real hard is insanely my poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Much like Petchesky and occasionally Tom Ley, he's one of Gawker's go-to "get ridiculously self-righteous and indignant about something" guys. Petchesky in particular can take the littlest thing and turn it into a matter of life, death and moral outrage.

Yeah Petchesky used to be pretty solid with his hockey coverage and things but he's gotten really insufferable lately.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also invoking the octagon in discussion of Ted Cruz is Spencer Hall's thing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
What are the chances that Dan Wetzel, Charles Robinson and Jeff Passan get picked up somewhere where it's not hard to find their actual pieces, because Yahoo's current layout is loving hot garbage

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So @ohholybutt has been fired after a domestic violence arrest and twitter meltdown

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

So @ohholybutt has been fired after a domestic violence arrest and twitter meltdown

I have no idea who this is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I have no idea who this is.

Jacob Price, SB Nation writer

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

People tweet too much. I get that it's part of his job to maintain an online presence but telling your side of the story through a series of tweets is very very dumb. Like you could write a longer blog post, or release a statement, or what not.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The whole thing was gross and first he had his followers bully his ex off twitter

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

The whole thing was gross and first he had his followers bully his ex off twitter

Congrats to Barstool's newest hire, ohholybutt

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you CTRL+F Simmons' NBA All-Star Ballot column from last week and search for the open parentheses symbol you get 81 results.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahaha that's great

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

General Dog posted:

If you CTRL+F Simmons' NBA All-Star Ballot column from last week and search for the open parentheses symbol you get 81 results.

I'm positive I know how this happened. When I was in grade 11 my english teacher kept on telling me that I wasn't using commas properly. So instead of learning I ended up just putting secondary clauses/ideas in parentheses. It wasn't till grad school that I realized how stupid this was (sometimes I still do it because my brain has been further corrupted by reading Simmons; I mean it was that or not reading him, gun to my head who would say no)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BWV posted:

I'm positive I know how this happened. When I was in grade 11 my english teacher kept on telling me that I wasn't using commas properly. So instead of learning I ended up just putting secondary clauses/ideas in parentheses. It wasn't till grad school that I realized how stupid this was (sometimes I still do it because my brain has been further corrupted by reading Simmons (I mean it was that or not reading him) (gun to my head who would say no))))

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

General Dog posted:

This is the most concise indictment of Simmons' writing style that I've ever seen

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Couldn't even make it an even 82, one parenthetical thought for each game of the season. Thats poor workmanship.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bonus

simmons.jpg

simmons.txt

quote:

I crossed off the following guards in 0.14 seconds: Lou Williams (wait, what?) … C.J. McCollum (the modern-day Sam Jones, only if Sam occasionally wrote for The Players’ Tribune) … Damian Lillard (I like him 93.7 percent as much as I like McCollum, and they definitely need their own teams, so what about Dame to Minnesota for Kris Dunn, Zach LaVine and a top-four protected pick?) … Eric Gordon (he stole Klay Thompson’s stats) … Klay Thompson (Eric Gordon stole his stats) … and Mike Conley (until he got injured, having the best Conley season ever, hands down).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 26, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

General Dog posted:

Bonus

simmons.jpg

simmons.txt

Lol it's either my initial theory about commas or his friend Poop-Dog bet him he could never use the word "because."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BWV posted:

Lol it's either my initial theory about commas or his friend Poop-Dog bet him he could never use the word "because."

Be sure to catch Poop-Dog and Tate Frazier's new podcast "The Shot Doctors" on the Channel 33 feed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/824997349349007361?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

jesus christ

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I hate this sentiment so drat much. Never do work for a for-profit venture for free.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Darren Rovell: Pro-slavery?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/825009672256180225

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i definitely get the idea of having to cut your teeth on some low level gigs from the start, but come the hell on now Darren. Just because unpaid journalism has been going on forever doesn't make it loving right.

Same exact thing with any photographers or graphic designers being told to "do it for the exposure". 100% bullshit.

E: vvvv yep

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJExile posted:

i definitely get the idea of having to cut your teeth on some low level gigs from the start, but come the hell on now Darren. Just because unpaid journalism has been going on forever doesn't make it loving right.

Same exact thing with any photographers or graphic designers being told to "do it for the exposure". 100% bullshit.

Or artist of any kind.