Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yes the Nexus 6 has gotten 7.0, and 7.1.1 this month. Nexus Images.

I don't quite understand the release schedule for OTA updates vs the full image releases but if you want to back up everything and do it yourself, doing a clean flash of the entire Google Nexus factory image isn't a bad idea going from a major OS version number to the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ilkhan posted:

Is the N6 getting Nougat? I thought it wasn't.

It's got a factory imaga (7.1.1 N6F26Q, Jan 2017) posted on Google's website.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ilkhan posted:

On the plus side, a restart has always fixed it for me and theres an actual restart button on the pixel!

Is the N6 getting Nougat? I thought it wasn't.

https://developers.google.com/android/images#shamu

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Welp. Guess I thought wrong then. I never paid much attention to the N6. Too expensive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ilkhan posted:

Welp. Guess I thought wrong then. I never paid much attention to the N6. Too expensive.

They dropped to $300 new right before the Nexus 5X preorders opened, that's when I grabbed on.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's interesting as one of the few sub 808/810 snapdragon powered devices to officially get 7.X, how does it perform with it?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Alright she's been reluctant to flash it directly since she'd have to back up / restore stuff and deal with that, but I guess if it doesn't come soon we might do that. Thanks!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Alright she's been reluctant to flash it directly since she'd have to back up / restore stuff and deal with that, but I guess if it doesn't come soon we might do that. Thanks!

She could also sideload the OTA file.

https://developers.google.com/android/ota#shamu

nimper fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 24, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's interesting as one of the few sub 808/810 snapdragon powered devices to officially get 7.X, how does it perform with it?

Most new Android versions run faster than their predecessors, that's never the reason older phones are passed up for updates.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

EdEddnEddy posted:

It kinda chugs, a bit, but the improvements from nouget make it worth it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Taffer posted:

Most new Android versions run faster than their predecessors, that's never the reason older phones are passed up for updates.

Ok I know that, the reason 7.0 was "supposed" to be leaving older devices behind was the lack of Vulkan HW support and a few other things, however the 805 did have the 420 GPU vs the 330 in the 801 (810 has the 430). So I guess the 805 did have enough to keep it fully 7.0 Compliant, except for the lack of 64bit which I don't believe is a problem yet.

Same can be said about the Nvidia Shield tab. Quad Core 32bit only, but a Vulkan capable GPU.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Taffer posted:

Depends on the manufacturers handling of the update - 4.4 - 5 had a catastrophic negative impact in my G3 while 5 - 6 somewhat improved things.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

dissss posted:

Depends on the manufacturers handling of the update - 4.4 - 5 had a catastrophic negative impact in my G3 while 5 - 6 somewhat improved things.

That's why I said most :v:. There have definitely been some missteps, but things have been going pretty darn well recently. Last 3 big releases have been great, and so have the small sub-releases.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Taffer posted:

That's why I said most :v:. There have definitely been some missteps, but things have been going pretty darn well recently. Last 3 big releases have been great, and so have the small sub-releases.

I actually think the 5.0 release was pretty poo poo.

Anyway, has anyone got a recommendation for a ROM for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact? I bought it upon release but passed it to a friend when I got my Galaxy S7. It performs nicely on 6.0.1 Concept ROM but the security updates ended in October 2016.

Don't be shouting. He is not in a position to get a newer phone.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 25, 2017

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Check XDA or maybe find a subreddit dedicated to that phone. You won't get a lot of help with custom ROMs here.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Still chugging along on my nexus 6. It's fine, if a bit slow. I felt like the pixel (xl) was a bit of a downgrade for my needs so I returned it. I'm thinking about getting the Xiaomi mi mix. Any thoughts? I looove the huge screen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Still chugging along on my nexus 6. It's fine, if a bit slow. I felt like the pixel (xl) was a bit of a downgrade for my needs so I returned it. I'm thinking about getting the Xiaomi mi mix. Any thoughts? I looove the huge screen.

OnePlus might be better for your needs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Did you...uh...just say that the Pixel XL was a downgrade from your...Nexus 6? Did I misunderstand?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you...uh...just say that the Pixel XL was a downgrade from your...Nexus 6? Did I misunderstand?

Ask yourself why someone would volunteer that information.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FAUXTON posted:

Ask yourself why someone would volunteer that information.

He's taking advantage of my insomnia and trolling me?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

He's taking advantage of my insomnia and trolling me?

Yes, Paul!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FAUXTON posted:

Yes, Paul!

I don't know what to believe in this thread anymore tbf. I'm going to bed :(

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Two pixels ordered on black Friday finally came in. Are they just keeping stock low?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
God drat it. The external speaker has very probably died on my PixelXL. I still have to do a factory reset to confirm it 100%, but a new user profile and safe boot didn't work so I'm not very hopeful. I should be eligible for vendor replacement (in Australia, so covered by consumer law) but if stock is fucky who knows how long it might take. I don't want to reset and I want even less to be waiting without a phone.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So Google randomly decided to conduct an experiment and turned off the audible chime for "OK Google". This is way more annoying than I realized it would be, especially in the car where I'm not sure if the phone has picked up my voice due to background noise or not. The only way to get it back is to enable some accessibility toggle which has the side effect of disabling my volume rocker. No word on when or if they will revert this. It's not all users apparently, they just decided to randomly guinea pig people :bravo:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Is that what loving happened? It's infuriating

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
gently caress, that's the same issue I have. Thanks Google.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I had to dig through pages of their lovely loving newsgroup forums to figure it out last week. Finally a google employee posted there and said "oh yeah we're totally testing something, thanks for the feedback". You can enable Switch in accessibility to get it back but this will sometimes cause your volume rocker to just stop working.

We're just going to throw out this random nonsense change into production software to see how you guys react! Absolutely loving ridiculous.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Yeah, the Google Home only gives visual indications that it's listening. You just have to trust that it heard you while you rattle off the command.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can understand the rationale to a certain extent. They want this to be more of a conversation rather than trigger and bark commands.

When taking with home, I don't pause and don't wait for it to acknowledge that it's ready. I just say the whole thing.

It's not "Hey Google" pause for lights "set a timer for 10 min". It's just "Hey Google set a timer for 10 minutes."

I get that they are trying to keep from training people to pause. It is bad for things like the car though when you aren't sure if it heard you.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A conversation necessitates that you realize the other party is paying attention

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

A conversation necessitates that you realize the other party is paying attention

Person: OK Google

Device: [screen lights up] or [lights turn on]

Person: Do the thing!

Device: [does the thing]

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's the thing, these devices are always paying attention.

Whether or not they heard you properly is a whole other matter, but it's also one that applies to real life.

The real question is, what's the difference repeating the wake word several times until it beeps and repeating the whole command until it does the thing?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I only use it on the phone so I'm not necessarily going to see it light up

E: if it's on the charger etc

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is anyone having issues with the Pixel and "OK Google" detection constantly shutting itself off?

That first toggle is the one that keeps flipping to off any time I exit this screen. When I flip it on it appears to activate, but if I jump to the homescreen and then immediately back to this screen the toggle jumps to the Off position. Voice detection used to work just fine, when I originally got the phone, but now I have to long press the Home button to use it.

I just rebooted a day or two ago, too, so I have no idea what's going on...

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 25, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What's a good case for the regular Pixel? Are the Diztronic ones fine?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TheWevel posted:

What's a good case for the regular Pixel? Are the Diztronic ones fine?

Diztronic is usually a good bet for any phone case. I haven't seen any reason to think otherwise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CLAM DOWN posted:

The N6 has a larger screen than the Pixel XL.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blue Train posted:

I only use it on the phone so I'm not necessarily going to see it light up

E: if it's on the charger etc

I don't see my home light up either since it's on a table behind me.

Anyways, I understand why the behavior change seems frustrating, but I also understand why they did it. To do what they want to do with this tech, they have to undo years of training of voice interactions with other systems that were always based on a command-response loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The N6 has a larger screen than the Pixel XL.

And front facing speakers..... but thats about where the Pro's end.

Also I know someone who also ordered a Pixel XL on BF and only just got it on I believe the 17th. So the XL's are way behind on the supply line. However you can get the normal Pixel pretty much anytime as long as you want it in black. (Even the 128G one)

At least it is a good thing that Pixel demand is out pacing supply I guess. Now if HTC could get their production focused on Pixel exclusively rather then that U abomination. (neat phone, but nothing anyone was asking for or going to do anything but cost them in the long run. WTF HTC, Listen to your drat Insider groups rather then releasing phones based on wall stickage of dumb ideas FFS).