Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rich Tweedy is a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Woah Tweedy

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I like how every time JA returns to the old bobbins time period, he makes Tweedy even worse of a human being. (It doesn't feel untrue to the character, more like a clarifying perspective on how bad he was all along.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Amy's not looking too good in this either, but I guess she's justified in raising some hell after her dad kicked her out just for helping the business.

I don't much like the idea of Dr. McNinja never being able to see his friends again and vice-versa, but I guess it makes sense as an out. I suppose I prefer an "...and the adventure continues" ending better than an ending where the characters put away their old lives like some childish thing to be discarded.

Like with Bad Machinery, John Allison was talking about planning to end the series a while back, and he reached what would've made sense as an end point, with the mystery files destroyed, the mystery boys focused more on their dicks than anything else, Lottie and Shauna cutting ties, and the kids in general all growing older and closing in on the point where they'd graduate, but it would've been a pretty depressing point to end on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

qntm posted:

Thirding that sentiment. I have much respect for a web comic ending on its own terms instead of petering out over the course of years, all front page with a news post from three years ago saying "We're finally back and updating regularly again!"
I will forever respect a mediocre comic that ends properly over a good one that doesn't.

And Dr. McNinja is not a mediocre comic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't much like the idea of Dr. McNinja never being able to see his friends again and vice-versa, but I guess it makes sense as an out. I suppose I prefer an "...and the adventure continues" ending better than an ending where the characters put away their old lives like some childish thing to be discarded.

I never got why he can't just put his mask back on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can't believe how expressive McNinja always was, despite having his mouth covered. I loved that comic.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

If he's trying to hide, he's less recognizable with the mask off than on, since the few people who've seen him with his mask off just died.

Now that I think about it though, I guess I don't fully understand why he's in hiding. All the bad guys died, if the world sees him as a fugitive then the real president could probably clear that up now that she's back. So it's the "he can never trust his family again" thing, but it seems weird to just declare that breach of trust 100% insurmountable forever.

I guess that's the ghost wizard's curse, though, "everyone will forsake you" or something like that. I guess I can leave it at that, the comic's gotta end somehow, and if that curse didnt stick then it'd cheapen both his grandpa's death and the whole "giving up his name to finally stop King Radical" thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Ditocoaf posted:

If he's trying to hide, he's less recognizable with the mask off than on, since the few people who've seen him with his mask off just died.

Now that I think about it though, I guess I don't fully understand why he's in hiding. All the bad guys died, if the world sees him as a fugitive then the real president could probably clear that up now that she's back. So it's the "he can never trust his family again" thing, but it seems weird to just declare that breach of trust 100% insurmountable forever.

I guess that's the ghost wizard's curse, though, "everyone will forsake you" or something like that. I guess I can leave it at that, the comic's gotta end somehow, and if that curse didnt stick then it'd cheapen both his grandpa's death and the whole "giving up his name to finally stop King Radical" thing.
From what I understand, it's equal parts "there's no more safety net if he makes new enemies", "can't ever trust my family again", and the wizard's curse. The name Patrick McNinja now has the whole world's ire, even if he gets a presidential pardon.

I wonder if he calls base when he goes into his new office.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MikeJF posted:

To me it's more of a "won't" than a "can't". It's been sort of a through-line in this chapter (and the comic, for that matter) that Doc doesn't like his life just being a "collection of confrontations", that he'd rather just be a regular doctor just treating patients, instead of the kind of person who belongs in Radical's world. Now that Radical (or Frans or Dracula, for that matter) isn't threatening the world, he doesn't have the responsibility of dealing with them anymore and he can just live his life now.

That's what makes it a happy ending, anyway.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug

Ditocoaf posted:

Am I forgetting, or aren't Knickerbockers and Mongo still alive? Couldn't they ID the Doc?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Raivin posted:

Am I forgetting, or aren't Knickerbockers and Mongo still alive? Couldn't they ID the Doc?

I think Knickerbockers got his parachute out but you know, parachuting is a dangerous activity, he might be dead. Regardless, they're minibosses, they're no threat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I think Knickerbockers got his parachute out but you know, parachuting is a dangerous activity, he might be dead. Regardless, they're minibosses, they're no threat.

That's what Chrono thought too.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my webcomic

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's the most socially unacceptable post you've made yet

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
stupid loving thing

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ditocoaf posted:

I really like Hastings and what he's done with Dr McNinja, but I think there was a real failure in communicating what was the central conflict of the comic. It was, be a doctor, or be a ninja. He touched on it early in the strip with his mom giving handouts on ninja careers and so on, but I think that this was supposed to be Dr McNinja's driving motivation. The problem being, he never really suffered for being a doctor, or for not being 100% ninja. Instead, he got to have cool chaotic adventures where he does awesome stuff. The gulf between the two professions isn't really emphasized after first couple of chapters, but really everything in the comic is leading up to that decision. I think if Hastings had been able to properly portray the crux between the two lives, other than mild comedic parental disappointment, that the ending would have been that much more powerful..

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It came up pretty steadily--there'd be reminders every couple chapters that Doc was shirking his medical appointments and he'd often feel kind of bad about it, but yeah, there wasn't a lot of weight given to it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's what a good second draft is for.

There likely won't be a second draft, but you know. That's the nature of webcomics

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm just catching up on the last few pages now after a monster marathon from the beginning. It really doesn't feel like there needs to be a heavy ending. Like it could have just ended with King Radical being killed, he gives his parents poo poo for dropping him in a trap, but it ultimately ends as it started, in sitcom fashion. Other than King Radical, there really isn't a central story to be resolved or brought to a close, and the whole doctor/ninja conflict is at best a framing device/running joke.

Like, it's okay to simply say that this is the final chapter, major plotlines are resolved, minor themes and stories can stay hanging around to give a sense of the world continuing, then you just don't make any more chapters. It isn't dropped, it doesn't close every door, you just tidy up then announce that the show's over, folks. That probably would have been the best and most fun option here.

Still, it ended, and in a reasonable fashion. I'll still take that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I know it has its own thread and all, but everyone needs to remember that Kill Six Billion Demons is good

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of course she imagines him turning into David Bowie.

I would too

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

The codpiece is too small.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

chiefnewo posted:

The codpiece is too small.

you ain't seen his balls yet!!! juggling balls i mean!!! hahahi'm dead inside

Also I absolutely approve of Allison's costume. All nice and skulled up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hope she keeps the elf ears

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Nuns with Guns posted:

I hope she keeps the elf ears

I still miss the horns sometimes.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
woe peppy

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Avshalom posted:

woe peppy

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Let me remind this thread that Boulet exists.

Read the rest.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm trying to find a comic I was reading a while back, I don't recall the name.

It has a young boy who collects scrap. Robots and humans are at war, and the humans use jammers against the robots. The young boy befriends a robot who has a special legacy of some sort, and they're hunted by both sides for the legacy.

The young boy gets injured, there's a timeskip, the robot becomes controlled by the (likely evil) humans, and that's about as much as I recall.

Sound familiar to anyone?

khy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2017

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Gepetto a Webtoon on Naver.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 26, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

habituallyred posted:

Gepetto a Webtoon on Naver.

Ah, thank you! I've been browsing a lot of the Naver comics, many of them are incredible.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Care to elaborate? Hive is approaching an end and I need a new set of cheesy cliffhangers to read.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

check out my anime chicken lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I hope senpai notices me! :syoon:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Up until the moment Radical died, I had the vain hope that McNinja would be able to strip him of his power by pointing out that staging a coup and planning to kill an alarmingly high number of people isn't rad at all, even if you dress it up with dinosaurs and sunglasses. Radical would be rendered less radical and so would lose the title of "most radical man", which would pass on to McNinja himself.

This is why I don't have a webcomic.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Uh staging a coup is one of the most radical things you can do. In like more than one way.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And that's LSE funded: 2460 pledges for a total of $73,987 which means 48 extra books donated to US Libraries.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

habituallyred posted:

Care to elaborate? Hive is approaching an end and I need a new set of cheesy cliffhangers to read.

Tower of God, The Gamer, and Noblesse are the most obvious suggestions.

Unordinary's one of my current favorites.

Dice is really enjoyable.

Girls of the Wilds isn't bad if you're into fanservice.

Nano List and Gepetto have the whole 'androids and robots are people' thing going which I always enjoyed in my sci-fi.

I hear good things about Sword Interval, but I didn't get far. It's not bad, it's just too many other comics piqued my interest. You should try it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'm a big Kubera fan, but I kinda suspect most people will be put off by the art and the glacial pacing.

• Locked thread